• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does Brawl Have ANY True Combos??

Hakkat

Smash Apprentice
Just wondering, because I know how in Melee you had combos like Drillshining, etc. But what about Brawl? I haven't found any but then again I haven't looked too hard. I feel like attacks in this game can not be linked together very easily because of the fact that the enemy recovers out of hitstun very quickly. There are combos like Sheik's Ftilt lock and Fox's Dair --> Utilt juggles but is there anything else?

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
every character has combo strings, even Ganondorf. But they are majority low% strings and by mid+high% everything is just stray hits or combo reads.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Every character in this game has at least 1 true combo, I'm pretty sure. It's just that most true combos (outside of chaingrabs and locks) are % and weight dependent.

Most characters have multiple true combos

Pheta Ray

Smash Ace
If Brawl were like other fighting games, it wouldn't be nearly as fun with 20 hit unblockable combos (this being an exaggeration of course). I'm glad that those kinds of things weren't implemented into Brawl.

Things like Marth's Dthrow>Fsmash or Fthrow>Dsmash at 0% are true combos, kind of like frame traps. I can't think of anything else to be honest. Maybe MK's Uair>Uair>Nair from 0%? There's really not much which is absolutely confirmed in every situation on every character.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
MK has uair --> stuff and landing bair --> stuff, and I wouldn't be surprised if dtilt --> stuff was guaranteed.

ZSS has tons of stuff obviously. Even outside of dsmash and lasers, she gets dash attack --> jab/any tilt/dash attack, AC uair --> uair, AC nair --> aerial of choice (pretty sure this is guaranteed but not 100% sure), upB meteor --> uair

Marth has AC uair --> stuff and fthrow --> stuff. Maybe dtilt --> DB as well I think

Oli has dthrow --> usmash, and AC nair-->usmash

ICs have grab --> everything except upB

Snake has...jab1 --> ftilt1?

Falco has the gatlin combo and dthrow --> stuff

Diddy has banana --> everything and dtilt --> fair and utilt --> stuff

Lucario has sideB --> fair --> nair and general fair --> aerial stuff

DDD has dthrow --> stuff

TL has bair --> stuff

etc

*Most (if not all) of these are % dependent and can be broken out of with SDI, but I don't think there are many cases where SDI will cause you to escape all possible followups.

| Big D |

Smash Master
Nana air release > belay. Pretty easy on Jiggs/Olimar.

Also hilarious because it gives them hope.

Another method is hobble force getup > Nana charge upsmash > belay.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
Every chaingrab is a true combo
Pretty much every character has some true combos (even ganon has side-b > stuff, Link has bombs > stuff, zelda probably has like nair > neutral b or something, jiggs has bair strings or weak hit fair > strong hit, etc.)

So yes Brawl has many "true" combos.
And fyi, Brawl has the exact same amount of hitstun melee does. At low %s where you don't enter tumble, characters recover just as fast from attacks in Melee as they do in brawl, it's only when you enter tumble and can cancel your hitstun that characters 'recover' faster in Brawl than they do in Melee.

TreK

Is "that guy"
Brawl has too much combos for many (ex-)brawlers' taste, actually.

FredFuchs

Smash Apprentice
ike has b-throw>dash attack at around 50% (weight dependent of course)
fox has final hit of d-air>most ground moves (tilts, smashes, grab) i think

AncientSC

Smash Rookie
Actually, I think this is a great question. So many Melee players have come to me telling me that there are absolutely no combos in Brawl.
I won't pretend to be an expert. Brawl is my first fighting game and I started it around the time of APEX 2012. But I love this game, so I have done a decent amount of research.
According to http://www.ssbwiki.com/Combo, a combo is a series of attacks that are guaranteed or very likely to hit once the first attack hits. I want to differentiate between combo, where the series of attacks are very likely to hit, and follow-up, where the series of attacks are more uncoordinated and based on the reaction or lack thereof of the opponent.
A true combo would be inescapable. Like the posters before me said, chaingrabs are true combos in that once you hit the first attack, which is a grab, and if performed correctly, they are IMPOSSIBLE to get out of. Grab release combos are considered grab release for a reason as well. Marth's grab release combo on Meta Knight will hit Meta Knight no matter what he does, provided the Marth executed properly.
Normal Combos, like InfiniteV115 has accurately stated above, are percent dependent and are subject to break by SDI. Snake's Ftlit, a natural combo consisting of two strikes, can be escaped using SDI, and professional players do it all the time. Falco's Gatling Combo only works on low percents. However, for all intents and purposes, these are considered combos.
I don't have much experience playing Melee, but I am almost sure that any of their defined combos, such as their Ken Combos, are also subject to percent dependency, although at a much less noticable scale. Melee has little guaranteed combos as well, as almost all of their defined combos are also subject to escape by good DI and SDI (see Fox uthrow to uair on Jigglypuff).
But that is the point of Brawl. I like Brawl because of its gameplay revolving around followups. I like Brawl because it focuses more on option coverage than tech skill. So to answer your question, Brawl has a little of every type of combo, but don't focus on it too much, as it doesn't revolve around these combos.
Hope this helped :)

Iwan

Smash Ace
There aren't any combos outside of a few 2 or 3 hit "combos", and with proper DI, even at low percentages, you can escape from quite a few of them. Honestly, Brawl's engine is drastically different than Melee's. It isn't meant to allow players to string together tons of hits while an opponent is locked in hit stun.

Which. You know. Is sort of lame...the game is still fun, though (imo).

Greave

Smash Apprentice
NNID
P-Duck
Sheik has a guaranteed sweetspot DACUS after grab-releasing MK, hue hue.

Penguin4478

Smash Cadet
Depends on how you define true combo. If you call a true combo any 2-hit sequence that's unavoidable than even Ganon would probably have one.

For lengthy combos, they can mostly only be done at low percents with mainly UTilt juggles, Kirby/Jiggly/DDD Walls of Pain, or chaingrabs. You may be able to get in a few 4-hit aerial combos that aren't so repetitive with a small number of characters though.

fox has final hit of d-air>most ground moves (tilts, smashes, grab) i think
From some experience playing with Fox and playing against a friend who mains Fox, I can say only those who don't know how to tech out of it or those who don't expect it can get hit by this multiple times. I have a fairly easy avoiding this by shield-grabbing, even if I was hit by the entirety of the BAir because the shield comes out just in time. DAir -> Might be unavoidable though.

Ethereal_Sin

Smash Rookie
Very few. And even those have to be performed on certain characters with percentages at a minimum.

Thor

Smash Champion
Even if you conclude Brawl doesn't have combos, Trela has combos: Watch from about 3:45 to 4:05: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5I8iJ3cBs8

Fox dair -> stuff might be SDIable but even then it can be started late enough to be unavoidable. Sheik has fitlt -> stuff. Pikachu has fair landing in the middle of it -> stuff and uair -> nair or uair. Every character has some combo on some other character (not to say every character can do a combo on every other character, but that every character is susceptible to something). Jigglypuff has dair tricks to Rest (I think it has to force a trip so Melee players probably don't count that). As shown above Lucario has fair to fair, among other things. Captain Falcon has something like only first hit of nair -> Falcon Dive. MK has uair -> uair and other silly stuff. Ike has jab -> jab (and also I think he can do nair -> jab stuff, not positive on that one). Kirby has 40% combos at 0% and still gets nice combos at other percents. Sonic has these weird spin dash combos (they're not really weird I just don't always follow what's going on when I take 15%+ or whatever). Ness has PK Fire -> grab or fsmash. I could go on but you get the point.

Also being percent dependent/SDIable is a silly argument, even Melee combos were percent dependent (with a few notable exceptions like waveshine -> usmash) - Marth's chaingrab combos don't work at high percents, neither does Fox uthrow-> uair (which is also really SDIable) but people still call those combos. Falco's shine combo's might also count in this group, as do combos with Jigglypuff aerials at high enough percents.

Last edited:

GangsterPuff

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gpuff
3DS FC
1289-9497-1235
No smash games have true combos, you can DI out of any combo, meaning they are not guarantee hit.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Wrong, some moves like Marth's first hit of Nair have fixed knockback and/or 0*SDI multiplier, meaning that you can't DI nor/or SDI them, making their follow ups true combos.

With that said those moves are very few.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
64: Basically 0 to death if your good
Melee: More true combos due to hitstun, can result to 0-death but its usually pretty character dependent. Most true combos in that game do like 70% max (if its not a chaingrab)
Brawl: Very few true combos since low hitstun. Most combos are character dependent. Combos are more based on reads and not execution. A lot of combos usually come from throws. Technically, you can still drill shine with Fox if your opponent doesnt SDI tho.

Tocaraca2

Smash Ace
MK has uair --> stuff and landing bair --> stuff, and I wouldn't be surprised if dtilt --> stuff was guaranteed.

ZSS has tons of stuff obviously. Even outside of dsmash and lasers, she gets dash attack --> jab/any tilt/dash attack, AC uair --> uair, AC nair --> aerial of choice (pretty sure this is guaranteed but not 100% sure), upB meteor --> uair

Marth has AC uair --> stuff and fthrow --> stuff. Maybe dtilt --> DB as well I think

Oli has dthrow --> usmash, and AC nair-->usmash

ICs have grab --> everything except upB

Snake has...jab1 --> ftilt1?

Falco has the gatlin combo and dthrow --> stuff

Diddy has banana --> everything and dtilt --> fair and utilt --> stuff

Lucario has sideB --> fair --> nair and general fair --> aerial stuff

DDD has dthrow --> stuff

TL has bair --> stuff

etc

*Most (if not all) of these are % dependent and can be broken out of with SDI, but I don't think there are many cases where SDI will cause you to escape all possible followups.
Kirby has Forward Throw - Up Air - Grab - Forward Throw - Jump N-Air I believe.

Tocaraca2

Smash Ace
Character dependent, and yeah in terms of hitstun it's real but I'm fairly certain most (if not all) characters can SDI the first uair to avoid being regrabbed
There are always reads, if someone DIs away after the Up Air, Kirby can follow then and use an aerial. Which the opponent will be able to air dodge, like I said, there are always reads.

N.T.A.O ChangeOfHeart 死の剣

不自然な不道徳な中空デミ神〜
Link:

Zair -> Dacus/BDacus

Zair -> Dash Attack

Zair -> Jab/Jab cancel

Zair -> Down Tilt

Zair -> Footstool

Zair -> Up Tilt

Zair -> Up Smash

Zair -> Up B

Zair -> Forward Smash with or without Link Bomb

Zair -> Grab

Zair -> Nair

Zair -> Fair

Zair -> Bair

Zair -> Aroow

Zair -> Bommerang

With Bomb air-doge Zair to throw Bomb

Air-dodge Zair -> Zair so forth

Bomb now:

Bomb -> Nair

Bomb -> Fair

Bomb -> Bair

Bomb -> Zair

Bomb -> Forward smash

Bomb -> Up smash

Many more true set ups but I made my point loud and clear.

Last edited:

Tocaraca2

Smash Ace
Link:

Zair -> Dacus/BDacus

Zair -> Dash Attack

Zair -> Jab/Jab cancel

Zair -> Down Tilt

Zair -> Footstool

Zair -> Up Tilt

Zair -> Up Smash

Zair -> Up B

Zair -> Forward Smash with or without Link Bomb

Zair -> Grab

Zair -> Nair

Zair -> Fair

Zair -> Bair

Zair -> Aroow

Zair -> Bommerang

With Bomb air-doge Zair to throw Bomb

Air-dodge Zair -> Zair so forth

Bomb now:

Bomb -> Nair

Bomb -> Fair

Bomb -> Bair

Bomb -> Zair

Bomb -> Forward smash

Bomb -> Up smash

Many more true set ups but I made my point loud and clear.
Zair intro Forward Air is not a true combo, Fair has too much startup lag for that.

不自然な不道徳な中空デミ神〜
Zair intro Forward Air is not a true combo, Fair has too much startup lag for that.
Buffer Link's jump then man. Don't teach me Link as I've experimented enough and beyond anyone else to know how to connect Zair to Fair or actually air-dodge to Fair you should know what I mean when I'm writing man use common sense. The only characters that can get true hit combo-d ( regular Zair to Fair) is Bowser, Charzard, DonkeyKong and all other characters that are tall but fast-fall slowly like these characters exemplify

Now for the rest of the cast, I've done this many times, Air-dodge Zair to Fair to Dash Attack and so forth. Or I could even do this way as well (and I have many times) Air dodge Zair to fast-fall Fair to Jab cancel to Up Air to Full hop Nair and falling Zair to grab. Don't test me man, I know everything there is to know about Link and extra stuff that no one has came up with like my example string set up for example.. Thanks.

Last edited:

Tocaraca2

Smash Ace
Buffer Link's jump then man. Don't teach me Link as I've experimented enough and beyond anyone else to know how to connect Zair to Fair or actually air-dodge to Fair you should know what I mean when I'm writing man use common sense. The only characters that can get true hit combo-d ( regular Zair to Fair) is Bowser, Charzard, DonkeyKong and all other characters that are tall but fast-fall slowly like these characters exemplify

Now for the rest of the cast, I've done this many times, Air-dodge Zair to Fair to Dash Attack and so forth. Or I could even do this way as well (and I have many times) Air dodge Zair to fast-fall Fair to Jab cancel to Up Air to Full hop Nair and falling Zair to grab. Don't test me man, I know everything there is to know about Link and extra stuff that no one has came up with like my example string set up for example.. Thanks.
This sounds like stuff at 0%.

不自然な不道徳な中空デミ神〜
F-Air even strings into Dash Attack?
Proof please.
That's right, no Links and I mean no Links bother experimenting like I do. Bet you'll faint if I wrote that I can do this every single time I wanted to as well. You see that user named Omar, well, I brawl him all the time and I always connect that simple string and more. Ask him I'm too busy to brawl right now. Also I fight CP level nines all the time with Link and have do that same string many times so it's not "impossible" just lazy to experiment like I did. Thanks.

Last edited:
Top Bottom