• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

does anyone else kinda not like Hero's recovery at times?

HenryXLII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HenryXLII
3DS FC
3153-3904-2933
It is without a doubt one of his worst traits. On stage and for edge guarding the move is great, but as soon as Hero needs to rely on it to survive, the shortcomings become really apparent.

Plus the distance on level 2 isn't always clear, AND you have to worry about MP which means it's actually possible to not even have the option to recover if you are using too many of your own moves.

I treat his recovery the same way I treat Ness. I try to use his fantastic air dodge to get back by default, and only use the Up B when needed (or when performing a mix up). His slow air speed still makes this not exactly a good option. You could go for zoom, but that is not exactly reliable.

Jade_Rock

Smash Apprentice
He has zoom and can jump out of it. I don't think his recovery is a problem. It's easy to edgeguard, but so is many other characters.

He can't have everything, he already has many options.

OldHickory

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3007-9257-4809
Zoom is apparently more likely to be an option when close to the blast line(53% chance, apparently), so it's actually decently likely you can get back for free...assuming you have the MP for it.
If Zoom does appear and you don't have the MP for it, you deserve to die for not doing the smart thing and keeping a small reserve on hand for emergencies.

Now, as the topic says, Whoosh is not amazing for getting back safely. Just have to accept it, like many other characters.

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
all the time. I SD an embarassing ammount of times with this character half the time when i try to use up b(i swear, the charges can be so finnicky sometimes)

Last edited:

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
After playing the character a LOT the past few days, I don't hate his recovery. Honestly, it isn't THAT bad. Level 1 charge comes out quick and can disrupt a lot of edge guard attempts if they go for a bair to try to smack you against the stage. Level 2 and 3, obviously, come out slower. However, you shoot up quite quickly and can come back from the netherealm quick easily. Though you're more vulnerable here, as your opponent can thus try a safer edge guard.

As a recovery it's alright but by no means the best. As a general tool, it's pretty solid. I feel I'm OK with his recovery being OK off and on stage, as opposed some other characters who have a near useless recovery move outside of...well...recovering.

I do my best to ensure I always have at least 40 MP so I can get a couple recovery chances if need be (Still not quick enough on the spell menu to utilize Zoom more effectively but that'll come with time).

EGsmash

Smash Apprentice
Errm, his fully-charged Up-B is incredible because it nets easy stocks from people who try to edgeguard. It's also one of the best edgeguards in the game aside from Ness, if you don't count Magic Burst.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
I think it needs significantly less end lag and faster speed. I really don’t like it that when Hero manages to recover on the stage, the opponent can still punish him when they screw up their reads.

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
I think it needs significantly less end lag and faster speed. I really don’t like it that when Hero manages to recover on the stage, the opponent can still punish him when they screw up their reads.
Yep. His air speed even before the Whoosh is pretty bad. He struggles hard to recover high if there's no platforms to help mix up his descent and his fast fall speed isn't great either. If you're in a spot where recovering high is needed, Zoom is his best bet (Especially if waaaaay off stage as it shows up more frequently).

Top Bottom