• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does anyone else dislike the changes to Pit in SSB4?

In which games do you play as Pit? Which do you prefer?

• I often choose Pit in Brawl, but not in SSB4 due to his changes.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I often choose Pit in both games, but prefer him in Brawl.

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • I often choose Pit in both games, but prefer him in SSB4.

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • I didn't often play Pit in Brawl, but I like playing him in SSB4.

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • I don't often choose Pit in either game.

Votes: 2 14.3%

• Total voters

Electric-Gecko

Smash Cadet
I know that this game has been around for awhile, but I still want to see if anyone shares my opinion.

In Super Smash Bros Brawl, Pit was my main. I got that game the week it was released when I was 11 (I had played Melee a little but not owned it), and my mains became Yoshi and Pit (despite being unfamiliar with Kid Icarus). I got back into the game when I tried it again in more recent years, and I decided that Pit would be my main (as my Yoshi play-style was lazy). I really like his moveset, and also his feel.

When my younger brother got a 3DS, he got the new Super Smash Bros for it. When I first played it, I was actually disappointed with it because I (naturally) chose Pit the first time I played it, and quickly discovered how different he is from Brawl.
Later, I got to appreciate some other changes in this newer game. I found Zelda and Pikachu to be weak in Brawl, but they are now more powerful while having a similar feel and moveset.

According to the wiki, Pit is one of the most overhauled characters in the game. It was justified to overhaul Bowser, as he was unfun and underpowered in Brawl (and I'm guessing unpopular). But to me, my favourite character from Brawl is basically ruined. I can't play him like I did in Brawl. In Brawl, he was unique, while his moves didn't feel unfit for the game (which I somewhat feel for Wario and Olimar).

I liked using his up-special and side-special in Brawl. Both were replaced with moves which are much less unique. The new down-special is actually functionally better for me (as it was hard to make it face the right direction in Brawl), although I much prefer the way it looked before. Pit does have nice grabbing ability that he didn't in Brawl. But Pit was never about the grabs; there were other characters that had that specialty.

My brother told me that some found Pit annoying to play against in Brawl, as he had heavy stunning. But instead of overhauling him, they should have simply reduced the amount of stunning of his arrows and Angel Ring side-special while keeping him similar in feel.

I hope that in the next Super Smash Bros game, they make him more like he was in Brawl (with default moveset). They could either give him the special moves he had in Brawl (with tweaks), or a hybrid of the two.

Are there any other Pit players from Brawl who don't like the way he's changed for SSB4? Are there any other characters that anyone misses from Brawl?

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
I like his animations a lot more, I also like the change to his specials, his HIYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAAAAAAAAAA bull will always haunt my dreams.

Electric-Gecko

Smash Cadet
I suppose I will get a bias because I posted this in the SSB4 section for pit. If you're a moderator, feel free to move this to somewhere you think is more fitting.

Lunanix

Smash Cadet
NNID
lunanix
Most of Pit's changes from Brawl were to build his kit off of his kit from his own game (Uprising) rather than the concept build they used for Brawl. When they were designing Brawl they didn't have a fleshed out character due to only having the original Kid Icarus games and the concept for the new Pit. Since Uprising was released and Smash 4 looked to update Pit into his Uprising appearance and style.

I was never a major Brawl player but I also mained Pit, I'd probably say I still prefer him in Brawl to 4 but I think the choices they made were the right ones as they updated Pit to work in Smash 4's mechanics as well. He is still a cool and fun character to play imo.

Electric-Gecko

Smash Cadet
They also made a clone of Pit, so they should have left regular Pit with his old moveset. I really want them to revert it when they make Super Smash Bros for Nintendo Switch (which hasn't been confirmed, but I know it will come).

YoshiDryBones

Smash Cadet
NNID
Zara
3DS FC
1332-7857-8326
I didnt play with Pit too often in Brawl (my mains are Yoshi and MK), but I think the changes were almost guarateed to happen because of the new KI content from Uprising.

So, unfortunately, I don't think Pit will ever be getting his Brawl movekit back. But I do agree that the changes do make him less fun to play as and a little too different than what we were used to.

I think that one of the ways they could make him more familiar is if they give us his Brawl arrows back. Those were probably the best projectile in the game and it would give Pit a much needed boost in the current metagame.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
It would be better if Pit never got his Brawl arrows back. They were arguably the best projectile in the game and too good for balance's sake. They are still good in Sm4sh though, just not as ridiculous.

I also disagree with with his new specials being less unique. His Side B has a unique combination of properties, possessing decent shield damage, high knockback, super armor and being able to reflect projectiles. There aren't really any other moves similar to this in utility except maybe Raptor Boost when it used as an offensive option. Up B is a much more standard recovery for sure, but it is more practical than his old one. And even if he kept it, it would still be identical side by side with Villager's recovery, diminishing it's novelty value.
I actually like the overhaul he got but the only thing that I lament is the lack of Gliding, one of the coolest mechanics in Smash. I guess we can blame Meta Knight's brokenness for that.

Last edited:

iiJjRr

Smash Apprentice
Brawl Pit is better than Smash 4 Pit in my perspective. In Brawl he can do wack stuff like...

This

This

and... This

In the Smash 4's files there was an unreleased gliding animation for Pit/Dark Pit which can be seen here

If your a modder, i would recommend you not to finish this due to crashes and graphical corruptions.

Top Bottom