• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does anyone care about Jigglypuff anymore?

The_Jiggernaut

Smash Ace
Hey everyone. How have you all been? I have two questions for the Jiggs boards.

1) How have the boards been in the last 6 months?

2) What to you guys plan to do about Jiggs' Ankoku score?

1) As many other players did a while back, I left the boards because fighting between members was more common than actual productiveness. In the past 6 months, has any of that changed? Are actual productive conversations happening here? Who's leading the boards now? Do people post often? I'm curious to see if anything is happening over here.

2) As you guys may or may not know, Ankoku has a thread where he takes tournament data, factors in placings, number of players, entry fee etc in order to rank each character objectively in an ordered list. This is different from a tier list since there is no room for opinion. Characters go up on the list based on how well people playing that character place.

Anyways, Jigglypuff has been the last on this list several consecutive times in a row, including the current update. Her tournament record is awful. Ganons and Captian Falcon's place better in tournaments than Jigglypuff does.

My question to the Jiggs boards is: What, if anything, do you plan to do about it? This is not an attack on the boards, nor am I telling you to go to more tournaments. I want to know if any of you still care. Does it bother any of you that Jigglypuff objectively the worst character in Brawl at this time? Is there anyone left who want to place well with her?

What do you plan to do?

Noobicidal

Smash Master
What do you plan to do?
Main MK.

In all seriousness though, in the last six months, I've attempted several times to bring about intelligent conversation, and due to disinterest on the board's part, along with a select few who choose to ignore me, those threads subsequently died. There is no real leader here, nor is there an oligarchy of any sort. I usually attempt to post on each "active" thread at least once per day, and I've noticed that we've had several days in a row in which every active thread mentions that I'm the last poster on it

As for Ankoku's list, I have no feasible opportunity to contribute towards it until HERB 3, and I'm not even sure that I'll use Puff in pools/brackets.

The_Jiggernaut

Smash Ace
Main MK.

In all seriousness though, in the last six months, I've attempted several times to bring about intelligent conversation, and due to disinterest on the board's part, along with a select few who choose to ignore me, those threads subsequently died. There is no real leader here, nor is there an oligarchy of any sort. I usually attempt to post on each "active" thread at least once per day, and I've noticed that we've had several days in a row in which every active thread mentions that I'm the last poster on it

As for Ankoku's list, I have no feasible opportunity to contribute towards it until HERB 3, and I'm not even sure that I'll use Puff in pools/brackets.
I see then. I figured the boards were in about that condition... I know that you have made a personal effort to make these boards functional again. I'm glad you've taken the initiative.

You didn't really answer my second question though. Do you still want to place well with jiggs? Or will you be just as happy placing well with any other character?

Karcist

Smash Journeyman
I thought seriously about dropping all my high tier mains for Ness, Samus, and Jiggs. My logic is, if I'm not going to win any tournies with high tiers, then why not just have fun and use low tiers (I think ness could be mid tier though). So I just might whip out some Jigglypuff in the next tourney I go to.

Noobicidal

Smash Master
You didn't really answer my second question though. Do you still want to place well with jiggs? Or will you be just as happy placing well with any other character?
If I place with Jiggs, I'll place with Jiggs. I'm not feeling anything either way currently, though.

The_Jiggernaut

Smash Ace
I thought seriously about dropping all my high tier mains for Ness, Samus, and Jiggs. My logic is, if I'm not going to win any tournies with high tiers, then why not just have fun and use low tiers (I think ness could be mid tier though). So I just might whip out some Jigglypuff in the next tourney I go to.
Lol, I like this argument. To me, it really comes down to which character you enjoy playing as the most and who feels the most natural. I believe that character is the one you have the greatest potential with.

If you do play as jiggs, I hope I get to know how it turns out.

If I place with Jiggs, I'll place with Jiggs. I'm not feeling anything either way currently, though.
I'm not sure what you mean. I got that you don't feel any strong urge to use or to drop Jigglypuff.

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
I tried to write a new guide, add some new threads to spark life here... nothing much. But many people are finding my new guide to be helpful at least.

The_Jiggernaut

Smash Ace
I took a look at your guide, and I like it a lot, actually. I imagine you wouldn't mind if I sent you additional content in the future? Right now, I'm thinking of some tips for rollout especially.

Edit: Btw, I assume you are still interested in winning with Jiggs and you don't like that she has the worst tournament record?

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I think I should be playing jiggs more.. in MMs... I'm still not sure how well my jiggs would do in actual tourney, though.

g-regulate

Smash Hero
rofl ill get 7th at best at any tourney around here, whether i use jiggs OR snake.

in all honesty, who cares about "raising her on the tier list". it means nothing, just get better. i have gems of knowledge in most threads

i just play jiggs against anyone, get better as time goes on, and share info with you guys on the boards. if people were less stubborn and open to new strategies, everyone would develop quicker. i know i always say im "best jiggs" but i just mix parts of my game with all the stuff i steal from you guys, im always looking for cool new strats and you all should too!

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
I took a look at your guide, and I like it a lot, actually. I imagine you wouldn't mind if I sent you additional content in the future? Right now, I'm thinking of some tips for rollout especially.

Edit: Btw, I assume you are still interested in winning with Jiggs and you don't like that she has the worst tournament record?
of course. If there is anything i left out by all means PM me info ill give you credit. Also I use Jigglypuff for Diddy and Ice Climbers.

Karcist

Smash Journeyman
rofl ill get 7th at best at any tourney around here, whether i use jiggs OR snake.

in all honesty, who cares about "raising her on the tier list". it means nothing, just get better. i have gems of knowledge in most threads

i just play jiggs against anyone, get better as time goes on, and share info with you guys on the boards. if people were less stubborn and open to new strategies, everyone would develop quicker. i know i always say im "best jiggs" but i just mix parts of my game with all the stuff i steal from you guys, im always looking for cool new strats and you all should too!
We should do some double jiggs friendlies when you come to Bolt's crewfest, ha.

Metatitan

Smash Master
Ganon and falcon are different from jiggs in the fact that no other character is really like them (and people use them because regardless of how bad they are, they're still epic characters).

Kirby and Wario are both similar to jiggs and most people just feel that they should use them instead since they can actually win. Jiggs easily has the potential to raise her score, but people would just rather main characters that don't have to camp as much to win or are more fun to camp with.

Point being, if you main jiggs it's because you wanna main the character, not the playstyle.

EraOfGames

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2895-7773-5577
Well, I do partially care but she's a terrible character anyways. xD imo, she's the 2nd worst (1st to Ganon), but she is freaking fun to play as. She's the reason I still play Brawl.

I used to hate Jiggs Metatitan, so I doubt it's because I like the character and not the playstyle. One of my first mains was Wario, but then he was meh to me after a while.

Anyways, I'd play Jiggs in tourneys if I could actually get a ride over to them lol. I've been playing wifi for practice at least though. Some day..

The_Jiggernaut

Smash Ace

The thing about raising her on the tier list is it makes new players more likely to pick her up. This leads to a larger community, more contributes, better metagame etc. Though I do agree with you. If she's 4th last or 5th last, people won't pick her up for that reason. It's usually for different reasons that people play her.

What I'm more concerned about is her Ankoku score. Being last for a couple updates really shows that noone is using her and she might stop being used completely. The community is truly dieing at this point.

I personally do learn from new strategies that are presented. Thing like not staling fair, dair > utilt, footstool dair etc are all things I've looked into and put into my game.

There are alot of little things that Jiggs can do that would make her semi-viable if they were all employed. Thing is, noone does them all. If players focused on incorporating these bunch of little things, then maybe she could start doing better. I'd be willing to head a discussion on this if anyone would be interested.

of course. If there is anything i left out by all means PM me info ill give you credit. Also I use Jigglypuff for Diddy and Ice Climbers.
Awesome then. It might take a while (I've got midterms coming up), but I'll send you stuff when I can.

Ganon and falcon are different from jiggs in the fact that no other character is really like them (and people use them because regardless of how bad they are, they're still epic characters).

Kirby and Wario are both similar to jiggs and most people just feel that they should use them instead since they can actually win. Jiggs easily has the potential to raise her score, but people would just rather main characters that don't have to camp as much to win or are more fun to camp with.

Point being, if you main jiggs it's because you wanna main the character, not the playstyle.
Hmm, this is a really good point. I never thought of it like that.

Veril

Frame Savant
Jigglypuff is really cute. Obv that is the reason people play her. Melee players may pick up jiggs cause she's good, but in vBrawl its cause she's mad adorable.

She doesn't do too bad against MK but there are better options (and she can't plank MK obv.). She does good against Diddy and pretty poorly against most other high tiers. The degree to which GW counters her is absurd. People who want to win will drop her for someone who can win... unless you're g-reg (props!)... or play her in melee/B+.

Exegguter

Smash Lord
i cant go to tourneys so I have to do it with wifi which obviously sucks but im reppin her/him 100% online
But if people like greg and thinkaman keep reppin her/him its good enough for me. the tier list isnt really that important, heck, if jiggs was the worst character on the list i wouldnt care cuz alot of people dont seem 2 know how 2 fight her/him which is a big advantage for jiggs.
I play jiggs cuz I want 2 be original and I like her/his playstyle, I'm going snake vs any bad matchups like luigi and gaymenwatch .

EVERY JIGGS MAIN SHOULD HAVE A GOOD SECONDARY OR ELSE YOU WONT MAKE IT/PLACE HIGH <---- This is so important especially in tourneys, just maining jiggs isnt enough. Maybe thats why people are thinking: ''why jiggs if you can pick mk/snake/wario w.e''

g-regulate

Smash Hero
The thing that i struggle with is, in brawl terms, the best strategy (even WITH planking rules) is to get a lead and plank. you can drop under smashville and JUST POUND for like 10 seconds, before using ANY jumps!

I've never done this to anyone. If I'm at high % and I get a KO, i will stall the edge for a bit. If i feel danger from metaknight, i will stall the edge and then go under to the other side. If I'm winning and falco laser spam, i will do it. These are situational instances, and I've never had the GALL or CHOPS to time players out.

This is sorta the reason that i quit playing brawl in the first place, the sense that attacking is 95% fruitless, and nothing i can do has a better chance of winning than stalling people out. With that info, we can assume that high-level brawl (and high level jiggs) is DEFINED by stalling, defensiveness, and baiting. The act of "not attacking" being a successful form of "attack" to achieve victory makes my stomach hurt and my heart cry.... deep deep inside.

BUT, just for the jiggs community, i will do what i have dreaded for so long. I'm going to a tourney on friday night. I will plank everyone i play (50 ledge limit), not break the rule, and see how far i can get (or how pissed off i can make everyone)

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
I wish i could go to more tournies, i should play more wifi, but since my laptop broke im rarely on when other people happen to be on.

personally i don't care to much about where she's ranked, poo character is poo, but also because i'd rather have only a few people who pick her than a big flock cause he's better than *insert name here* it doesn't stop me from maining JP.

i play JP cause its fun to play as, i tried Wario and such, but its just a similar style not the same feel. like camping as Falco doesn't feel as fun as Fox to me.

if i do manage to get to any tourney i play to probably rep JP w/ Zelda or vice versa

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
TBH, I don't think Jigglypuff is as bad as a character as she is reflected on the tier list. (She's still bad though) She does have some potiential, but as some people pointed out already the problem is other characters can essentially do what she can do better, such as Wario, Kirby, and Meta knight. All three don't die as easy, and even have a ground game. Jigglypuff's problem is being outclassed and because of this her representation is very low which reflects her poor tourny results. Jigglymaster placed with her at Pound4, so she obsly has some viability in today's meta game. I think she can place in tournies, but the player is going to have to work harder and play even better than if they would using the 3 characters I just mentioned. When money is on the line, people would rather go the easy route.

Veril

Frame Savant
high-level brawl (and high level jiggs) is DEFINED by stalling, defensiveness, and baiting. The act of "not attacking" being a successful form of "attack" to achieve victory makes my stomach hurt and my heart cry.... deep deep inside.

BUT, just for the jiggs community, i will do what i have dreaded for so long. I'm going to a tourney on friday night. I will plank everyone i play (50 ledge limit), not break the rule, and see how far i can get (or how pissed off i can make everyone)
Do it. Jiggs is beast at planking. Its a horribly boring strategy but that doesn't discount its effectiveness. Besides who's going to John about Jigglypuff?

Good luck and godspeed. Planking must be so weird as a melee falcon player...

Noobicidal

Smash Master
Its a horribly boring strategy but that doesn't discount its effectiveness.
Quite often, I plank in friendlies due to having too much fun in doing so. Jokes aside, I seriously love planking as Puff.

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
yo some1 bump my guide or ask for a sticky plz lol

The_Jiggernaut

Smash Ace
The thing that i struggle with is, in brawl terms, the best strategy (even WITH planking rules) is to get a lead and plank. you can drop under smashville and JUST POUND for like 10 seconds, before using ANY jumps!

I've never done this to anyone. If I'm at high % and I get a KO, i will stall the edge for a bit. If i feel danger from metaknight, i will stall the edge and then go under to the other side. If I'm winning and falco laser spam, i will do it. These are situational instances, and I've never had the GALL or CHOPS to time players out.

This is sorta the reason that i quit playing brawl in the first place, the sense that attacking is 95% fruitless, and nothing i can do has a better chance of winning than stalling people out. With that info, we can assume that high-level brawl (and high level jiggs) is DEFINED by stalling, defensiveness, and baiting. The act of "not attacking" being a successful form of "attack" to achieve victory makes my stomach hurt and my heart cry.... deep deep inside.

I'd really like to see the results on this. It will be a good indicator of what we should do next.

yo some1 bump my guide or ask for a sticky plz lol
Sure, I'll do it.

I think someone should make a thread that clearly links to all the threads we have stickied (besides maybe the Q+A one) and call it "Important Links" or something. Then we should unsticky all the threads but still have them available and yet have an uncluttered front page. I think we have, like 10 stickies now.

Then when we need to sticky an important thread, we will actually see it...

EDIT: Btw, I should be entering a local tourney Friday too, so we'll see how that goes.

Top Bottom