• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does anyone actually like Falco as a character/inclusion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I ask because it looks like the entirety of Falco's Smash popularity is from tier wh**es of Melee (and Brawl to a small extent) , with pretty much no one liking Falco on his merits as a character, particularly due to him being a close semi-clone of Fox at best. I never cared for him in Melee (completely ignoring his Difficult but Awesome status) or Brawl, and still don't care for him even now. And with Falco apparently not being good in Smash U, there's no more point to liking him anymore.

I guess I would actually like his inclusion if he wasn't as close of a semi-clone (like Wolf or Lucas), but I don't like him as of now.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
The question seems awkward... you ask if anyone likes him as a character, but your post is about his qualities in the Smash series.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
He is my secondary in this game, and I've always loved using him in every Smash game. If I didn't like his character, or playstyle for that matter, I wouldn't have even considered it.
Ain't gonna stop loving the bird. :4falco:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
This is a really subjective topic. I like Falco as the wisecracking, cocky pheasant he is, but some people don't and some people don't care as long as Star Fox has more than one rep. It's like Captain Falcon who most people know from SSB and not F-Zero. Someone people only play as Marth because of his status in Melee and Brawl while others are fans of Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon and some just like his design.

For now, I don't think this topic really warrants a discussion because of how subjective it is in comparison to debating say, chaingrabs or jab repeats. If you can convince me, then more power to you.

Last edited:

Zionaze

Smash Ace
i love all the spacies. dem galactic mercenarys strike me fancy. + falco is known as ACE pilot and is known throughout the WHOLE galaxy according to pit. how can you not love that?

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I've always liked Falco, despite his cocky personality, both as a character and in Smash. He's one of my secondary mains in Brawl and Smash 4, which is gonna take sometime to get used to his new playstyle. Plus it's better to have more than one Star Fox character in the game since Wolf is sitting on the bench for this one.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
i love all the spacies. dem galactic mercenarys strike me fancy. + falco is known as ACE pilot and is known throughout the WHOLE galaxy according to pit. how can you not love that?
He was also a space pirate.

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
In short - Yes. Falco = good.

In depth (-and for realz) - Yes, because:
- He's not "just a clone". He's basically his own character with his own strategies, moves, and tactics, except specials (Which differ enough, anyway. I dare Fox to try and spike with side-B. :cool:).
- I prefer Fox over Falco from a gameplay perspective, but vice versa otherwise. Smash4 Falco is kinda trash compared to Fox IMO, though still viable in his own right. Falco even works with my (casual AF) playstyle better (I am ashameroo'd). >_>''
- Threads about "clones" like this pop up about every character and their mum, and you'll always have people saying the same thing "Yes, ___ is liked in the game. Get over it.". I don't like Lucina - I don't go posting in the Lucina boards about it.
- HANDS OFF MY BREAD.
- Non-smash related, but atleast Falco's love interest didn't manage to [cat] whip him into being a complete woobie.
- Talking about taking out any character, no matter how similar, is gonna cause some retaliation because someone will always main that character and prefer the slight differences, no matter what they are. Hence people maining Dark Pit, but not touching norm Pit, and also wanting to bring back Fire Emblem Roy, despite Marth and now Lucina having visually identical movesets to him/eachother.

This thread is pretty presumptuous. -and saying that "He's not good so there's no reason to like him." while calling people "tier wh**es" is pretty hypocritical, to be blunt. I find that when people make these sort of arguments, they just aren't fans of said "clone" character themself and/or aren't aware of the differences they bring to the table - the most glaring in this case being lazers that aren't set to "tickle".

Falco was the first character I mained - ever. He'll always have a special place in my personal tier list...

...Somewhere near the bottom. (JK, but srs, Smash4 Falco got [rooster]'d on. :troll:)

Richard 89

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesker08
3DS FC
4768-7987-3562
Yes, I like Falco, I even liked him in brawl. Even though I can't do his Dash attack- Up Smash combo anymore like I could in brawl, I swore I would main him regardless along with my other mains.

Beach

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CallMeBeach
I've like Falco since I was young and playing Melee like a plebeian. Through good or bad he'll always be my main or at least a secondary. I have found I like to try a plethora of characters since I don't play in tournaments, and if whatever character I'm trying out fails I can always rely on good old Falco to be a good pick.

NotAnAdmin

Smash Journeyman
I love that cocky anthro-bird.
I never gave him the time of day until Smash 4 however, but now I know a little bit about him, mostly due to me getting in the Star Fox series recently. I like his style, he's a cool guy and doesn't afraid of anything. I even went back to learn about how to play him in Brawl, and I might work back into PM or Melee once I can find my chance to get into tourneys and find people to help me get better.
:4falco::4falco:

ArhyLis

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AstralRaptor
3DS FC
5069-4138-6092
He was also a space pirate.
I'm pretty sure he was a gangster actually. Or perhaps a gangster pirate.. Gah, both are somewhat similar, I wouldn't want to argue which.

Last edited:

AmishTechnology

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KIMPHIE
Falco was my favorite inclusion alongside Mewtwo in Melee... Before I had a Gamecube, I would just imagine myself playing him. Mostly involved spamming lasers lol. He's more than welcome in Smash 4 for me. Metaknight still muh main though, but I like using Falco against people slightly worse than me.

Snipnigth

Smash Journeyman
Falco as a character is badass, now on smash wii u he does have some notable weaknesess and falls behind to the fast characters...but he does have some appeal with his ridiculous bair...as for been a clone of fox, i dont think he is that similar too fox, in melee yes, but in brawl and smash wii u he has a quite different set of moves compared to fox, his nair is different, his up tilt too, his jab combo, his fair, his reflector, really i think he classifies as a semi-clone....dark pit, lucina, those i would call clones, exactly the same move set as their counterparts.

MoosyDoosy

Smash Ace
I like him because his confident and egotistical personality matches mine. And also because he was annoying like no other to go up against in Brawl which is easy to exploit with mindgames and to piss people off. Also because of that super cool Up Taunt which I always flash after a kill.

Duck SMASH!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C.Piglet
Honestly if it wasn't for Melee Falco would be relegated to supporting character status just like the rest of Team Star Fox.
If you asked this question back when Melee came out I would've said it was questionable because Wolf arguably deserves the spot too (not that Falco doesn't though).
But of course, his character grew on me, and the idea of taking Fox and making Falco his aerial counterpart fills a specific niche in the roster: Fast aerial character with decent ground game. The lasers and shine, however, made him WAY better and put him in the top tier of Melee and very high tier in Brawl.

Zionaze

Smash Ace
everyone saids they want "melee" reflector but if falco got his reflector back he wouldnt be able to use it effectively. No jumpcancel no pillaring

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
I love playing Falco since Melee but NTSC Dair is a load of bull****, no sourspot should ever spike like that. He lost the sourspot spike in PAL then he lost the godlike startup and recovery in smash 4. It's still satisfying to land a Dair in smash 4, but it's way way harder obv.

PS : I love how this has turned into a Falco Love Thread when the OP was clearly trying to start some trollfest.

Snipnigth

Smash Journeyman
I love playing Falco since Melee but NTSC Dair is a load of bull****, no sourspot should ever spike like that. He lost the sourspot spike in PAL then he lost the godlike startup and recovery in smash 4. It's still satisfying to land a Dair in smash 4, but it's way way harder obv.

PS : I love how this has turned into a Falco Love Thread when the OP was clearly trying to start some trollfest.
it is still one of his strongest moves, you hit someone with its sweetspot, they probably wont make it back, the thing i hate more than it start up lag its its landing lag....its so punishable.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Warning Received

Well it's been derailed into talking about him as a fighter and not even considering him as a character.

And it's all pretty much Melee tier ******.

Last edited by a moderator:

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
Falco is my favorite Star Fox character and I really love his personality. I really wanted to be good with him but it didn't work out very well unfortunately. I love his up-taunt so much, it has so much personality in it.

I didn't play him much in Melee though, but I played him quite a bit in Brawl casually and sometimes I like to pick him up in Sm4sh as well.

I also like Falco's voice acting a lot, I hear a lot of people complain about his voice in this game but honestly it sounds perfectly fine to me. I didn't even notice a difference from Brawl at first.

NeoHippie41

Smash Apprentice
NNID
HaikuWarrior
I've always liked Falco a lot as a character and loved playing him in Melee and Brawl. I still use him a lot in 4 but he's not my secondary anymore.

They removed all personality from his voice in this game though. Which is a shame.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
The sad part is that in Star Fox 64 3D, he did have his classic, cocky attitude.

For some reason, SSB4 dropped the ball with voice acting. There's recycled voice clips from previous games with Roger Craig Smith's Sonic for Sonic, Mike West doesn't sound annoying in Star Fox 64 and 64 3D, but does in SSB4 - whenever Fox talks... -, Mark Lund sounds like Sly Cooper - voiced by Kevin Miller - when he says Falco's Final Smash quote and he sounds bored, and then there's DK, Diddy, and Bowser sounding like an actual gorilla and monkey and a monster instead of the goofy voices they have now. It's much weirder when you hear Bowser Jr. sounding cute and cartoony next to his dad, Bowser.

As a character, he acts as a foil to Fox's calmness similar to how Mario's the stoic hero and Luigi's the wacky fellow or how Marth's graceful while Ike's brash and brutal. It gives charm to the cast, but here's the thing, Star Fox has Star Wolf acting as their foil to a good group of mercenaries and an originally bad, but now more chaotic neutral band of mercenaries and space pirates. So, it's like an option of do we want the rival or the wingman?

Kirby has both the rival and the "villain" through Meta Knight and King Dedede who have different ways of fighting. Falco and Wolf were introduced as clones where Wolf was originally intended to be in Melee, but scrapped because he would look too similar to Fox (despite having an eyepatch, different jacket in the Star Fox art, and probably being larger than Fox). They're like Ryu, Ken, and Akuma, except Wolf became more like Gouken or Iori Yagami to Fox's Kyo Kusanagi. Still, they were conceptualized as fighters being similar to Fox and not having much to be different despite Assault introducing a ton of weapons and Falco could have had an entirely different moveset. Oh well, that's them as fighters.

As a character, it would be nice to have Falco and Wolf and maybe even Krystal, Leon, Panther, Peppy, and Slippy. It's just that Falco and Wolf seem to have a larger impact on Fox than the others with Falco being Fox's wingman, a trusted friend, and the ace pilot (despite every game making Falco look like a fool) and Wolf as Fox's rival with a rough past - it's implied Wolf might have been involved with James McCloud's death.

Honestly, Star Fox could have had only one representer or even be scrapped entirely after Melee because since Assault, Star Fox wasn't that lively. Now we have a remake to Star Fox 64 and Star Fox Wii U close to release which might help boost more awareness and life into the series. Fox, Falco, and Wolf are still more known through SSB than their home series like Captain Falcon and Marth. Samus and Captain Falcon represent their series alone and newcomers will represent their series alone because of their status as newcomers and because some series don't have any notable characters to add. I mean, who are you going to add to Game & Watch and ROB's "series"? Animal Crossing at least has characters who are colorful, but there's not a lot to do for combat and Xenoblade could function like Fire Emblem where new heroes are added.

It would still be disappointing to anyone when characters are cut. It means a character that could have been improved and evolved with each, new game and it means one less character to represent a series, especially if that series has a small amount like Mother/EarthBound or the Ice Climbers. Fox and Falco were a bit like Batman and Robin/Nightwing with Wolf being a bit like... er... I guess Jason Todd as the Red Hood as a rival. Without Falco and Wolf, it just feels incomplete since they were there, but not anymore. There's no longer a wisecracking, cocky bird or the vicious badass; only the hero stays to fight without his friend and rival.

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440
The sad part is that in Star Fox 64 3D, he did have his classic, cocky attitude.

For some reason, SSB4 dropped the ball with voice acting. There's recycled voice clips from previous games with Roger Craig Smith's Sonic for Sonic, Mike West doesn't sound annoying in Star Fox 64 and 64 3D, but does in SSB4 - whenever Fox talks... -, Mark Lund sounds like Sly Cooper - voiced by Kevin Miller - when he says Falco's Final Smash quote and he sounds bored, and then there's DK, Diddy, and Bowser sounding like an actual gorilla and monkey and a monster instead of the goofy voices they have now. It's much weirder when you hear Bowser Jr. sounding cute and cartoony next to his dad, Bowser.

As a character, he acts as a foil to Fox's calmness similar to how Mario's the stoic hero and Luigi's the wacky fellow or how Marth's graceful while Ike's brash and brutal. It gives charm to the cast, but here's the thing, Star Fox has Star Wolf acting as their foil to a good group of mercenaries and an originally bad, but now more chaotic neutral band of mercenaries and space pirates. So, it's like an option of do we want the rival or the wingman?

Kirby has both the rival and the "villain" through Meta Knight and King Dedede who have different ways of fighting. Falco and Wolf were introduced as clones where Wolf was originally intended to be in Melee, but scrapped because he would look too similar to Fox (despite having an eyepatch, different jacket in the Star Fox art, and probably being larger than Fox). They're like Ryu, Ken, and Akuma, except Wolf became more like Gouken or Iori Yagami to Fox's Kyo Kusanagi. Still, they were conceptualized as fighters being similar to Fox and not having much to be different despite Assault introducing a ton of weapons and Falco could have had an entirely different moveset. Oh well, that's them as fighters.

As a character, it would be nice to have Falco and Wolf and maybe even Krystal, Leon, Panther, Peppy, and Slippy. It's just that Falco and Wolf seem to have a larger impact on Fox than the others with Falco being Fox's wingman, a trusted friend, and the ace pilot (despite every game making Falco look like a fool) and Wolf as Fox's rival with a rough past - it's implied Wolf might have been involved with James McCloud's death.

Honestly, Star Fox could have had only one representer or even be scrapped entirely after Melee because since Assault, Star Fox wasn't that lively. Now we have a remake to Star Fox 64 and Star Fox Wii U close to release which might help boost more awareness and life into the series. Fox, Falco, and Wolf are still more known through SSB than their home series like Captain Falcon and Marth. Samus and Captain Falcon represent their series alone and newcomers will represent their series alone because of their status as newcomers and because some series don't have any notable characters to add. I mean, who are you going to add to Game & Watch and ROB's "series"? Animal Crossing at least has characters who are colorful, but there's not a lot to do for combat and Xenoblade could function like Fire Emblem where new heroes are added.

It would still be disappointing to anyone when characters are cut. It means a character that could have been improved and evolved with each, new game and it means one less character to represent a series, especially if that series has a small amount like Mother/EarthBound or the Ice Climbers. Fox and Falco were a bit like Batman and Robin/Nightwing with Wolf being a bit like... er... I guess Jason Todd as the Red Hood as a rival. Without Falco and Wolf, it just feels incomplete since they were there, but not anymore. There's no longer a wisecracking, cocky bird or the vicious badass; only the hero stays to fight without his friend and rival.
100% agree with this right here, Falco's been an alt of mine since the Melee era (and still is as of this day) it would be a shame if he got axed like poor Wolf did, although I love how Falco says his Final Smash line in his new voice (even though most of us thinks he's bored) and yes they flat out got lazy with the voice acting (Sonic's being a huge example, isn't Fox's 64/64 3D voice the same 1 who voiced him in the 1st Smash bros on the 64?)

Float SSB

Smash Cadet
NNID
Floatwall
3DS FC
0774-4349-7765
I actually think Fox is much more unlikable as a character. Fox basically has no personality traits in any Starfox game. Even in Starfox Adventures when he is the MAIN CHARACTER he has very little to him. Falco, on the other hand, demonstrates character within the first sentence he speaks in any given title. It isn't hard to have more personality than Fox though. Even a character like Wolf who only has a few lines in 64 communicates his character better.

I always liked Falco a lot more and avoided fox in my early Melee days because I disliked his lack of character.

Last edited:

Wulfy07

Smash Apprentice
I never really cared for the Star Fox games, but I liked Fox's attitude from from Smash 64. In Melee, Fox started becoming more "military," for lack of a word and the "cool" factor Fox seemed to have in 64 went to Falco. I went with it. :D

ProdigyX5

Smash Cadet
:4falco:

I've always liked Falco as a Character, even before I started learning how to play competitive. My brother was fox and Martha and I was Falco and Roy.

We weren't good but he's a really fun character to play with for me

NovemberMan

Smash Apprentice
I played him since the Melee days so he pretty much has a spot in my mains list. I just can't stop using him.

BEES

Smash Lord
Falco's my favorite Nintendo character, all around. I chose him in melee before I knew he was good. Stuck with him ever since, though I picked up a few others to stand out in a state that had so many good melee falcos.

Jpot

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jpot93
:4falco:

I've always liked Falco as a Character, even before I started learning how to play competitive. My brother was fox and Martha and I was Falco and Roy.

We weren't good but he's a really fun character to play with for me
Younger sibling detected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom