• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does anyone actually care about the trophies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mobes

featuring Cool Robot Character "Ben Laserlove"
NNID
MobesMobes
It's a neat collectable to have, and I passively care about getting as many as possible..

..but it must be a massive time-sink for modellers and texture artists at The Smash Dev Corporation!
It's definitely a feature they could cut if (or when) they decide to make the next instalment.

I'd actually like to see if they could integrate the trophies outside the game.. Be it, some sort of meta-level OS thing or whatever else it could be.

Last edited:

Boo_Destroyer

Smash Journeyman
It's not just descriptions that are interesting this time, but the choices for trophies have gotten a lot smarter too.

For instance, in regards to Mario Kart:
Character + kart trophies >>>>> Racing Kart trophy

Quarium

Smash Journeyman
I have only 2 left to get, THIS HAS BEEN GOING FOR 6 MONTHS AND SAKURAI NEVER BLESSES MEEE

D

Deleted member

I care about them to an extent - they are fun to look at and I like reading the descriptions on some of them. Also when you mess around with the trophies and paint them and stuff, that's pretty cool.
But at the same time I don't go out of my way to collect all of them either.

How many trophies are there in total? (mainly the Wii U version, I don't play the 3DS version much)

KniteBlargh

Smash Journeyman
I've always liked the trophies and their descriptions, and yes, I try to collect more if I can, but I wouldn't say they're the most important part of Smash, more like a fun little bonus.

mobilisq

Smash Ace
I have only 2 left to get, THIS HAS BEEN GOING FOR 6 MONTHS AND SAKURAI NEVER BLESSES MEEE
The trophy shop is the quickest way to find new stuff. Play a few versus matches, or go through classic mode or all star, then enter the shop. If there's nothing new, go online or through classic mode again and repeat

Boo_Destroyer

Smash Journeyman
I've always liked the trophies and their descriptions, and yes, I try to collect more if I can, but I wouldn't say they're the most important part of Smash, more like a fun little bonus.
Yeah, that's just it. Most of them seem to cover what's in the game itself anyway.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
I have always liked the Trophies, ever since their début back in Melee. I find them to be interesting in that they seem to dictate what Smash Bros does very well, which is to mend Nintendo and its rich history together. You can sift through them and read about your favourite characters, or read about ones that you've perhaps never even seen before. Unfortunately, I don't have them all since I find the offline 1-player modes to be quite grating in Sm4sh, but I know it's somewhere in the 660s.

Boo_Destroyer

Smash Journeyman
The Smash 4 trophies in general are a lot better than before. Melee's are kinda weak in comparison.

The main thing about them that stands out is their overall designs. There's a lot more action going on in the trophy models. It's not the Final Smash trophies, but other kinds of trophies are going all out in appearance. They've also gotten a lot..."smarter" this time.

Some show background elements (Samus Gravity Suit, Saria, Whispy Woods, Vorash...), which makes them stand out a lot more. Some take on much more abstract concepts as well, and some portray whole scenes (sort of).

I also love the way Mario Kart trophies are handled this time: Character + Kart. Much, much smarter than a simple racing kart trophy. Trophies based on places are also a lot cooler this time. Group trophies and those of unexpected things are great as well.

So yeah, don't let Melee's crap fool you.
To give a few examples:

Compare the models of Smash 4's trophies of all the different Pikmin types to Brawl's.

Brawl Bulborb trophy vs. Smash 4 Bulborb trophy

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Some of the franchises get few trophies... especially Yoshi, Wario, EarthBound...

I would have liked to see trophies of Yoshi's Island characters like Nep-Enut, Crazee Dayzee, Burt the Bashful, Naval Piranha, Stork, Poochy, Huffin' Puffin, Kamek, Toady, Spear Guy, Stilt Guy, Boo Guy, Yarn Yoshi, Yoshi & Baby Mario, Baby Donkey Kong, Baby Wario, Superstar Mario, Little Mouser, Clawdaddy, Goonie, Bandit, Ukiki, Fang, Helicopter Yoshi, Mole Yoshi, and Submarine Yoshi.

I would have liked to see trophies of pre-WarioWare characters like Wanda, Captain Syrup, Genie, Dangerous Duck, Tiny Wario, Wanderin' Goom, Pirate Goom, Mad Scienstein, Rudy the Clown, Black Cat, Princess Shokora, Keyzer, Golden Diva, Merfle, Queen Merelda, and Shake King.

I would have liked to see trophies of EarthBound characters who had no roles in Smash (fighters, Assist Trophies, stages, Smash Run) like Ninten, Ana, Lloyd, Teddy, Giygas (Mother 1), Queen Mary, Paula, Poo, Porky (EarthBound), Giygas (EarthBound), New Age Retro Hippie, Insane Cultist, Runaway Five, Flint, Duster, Salsa, Kumatora, Boney, Claus, Masked Man, Porky (Mother 3), and Pigmask.

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
I love the trophies. I own all of them on Smash3DS and I'd be sure to try for them all if I had SmashWiiU. They're a nice little collectible and give me a huge reason to play the single-player mode. I occasionally even give them a look over because they're just really nice little works of art in my eyes. -and you can't say they don't look fantastic, because they really are amazing for just getting a closer look at some 3D models. (I will say though I'm not a fan of how they took a less factual approach to the descriptions in Smash4, though that's a minor gripe.)

...-and semi-unrelated, but I also miss the stickers from Brawl... -sure there's equipment, customs( and abilities in Smash Run) now, but there's such an RNG element to the equipment (-and the fact they look dull.) that they don't feel a worthy thing to put time into unless you're weirdly into the RPG element of that whole deal (Which, even then, I was more into it in Brawl's SsE.), and customs just don't seem to get enough love at all. I'd rather you just didn't have to unlock them because it's a shame they're so looked upon as a side-feature.

I digress - back to trophies - I also have a little game going where I see how many of certain trophies I can get because I'm a huge nerd, and let's face it, I gotta spend that near-constant 100+K G on something. lol

I think they're mostly for people who are really into Smash for more than just the competitive scene. It's fine if people are just into the whole competitive side, but I just personally feel they're missing out on what is a fantastic game for completionists and otherwise. Sure, it's a pain to get them all because of the RNG - Brawl was painful for that, too - but they're worth it IMO, even if you just give them a once over and never care for them again, they're really just a cool thing to aim for and extend the play value of Smash.

D

Deleted member

I want to complete the game as much as I can, so yes.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I need 1 more on the Wii U and that's the one for getting all of the custom moves.

The game just refuses to give me any new ones, though. At this rate, I likely won't get them all until next year or something.

I have them all on 3DS though.

Kneutronic

Lurker By Nature
3DS FC
2062-9725-8885
Switch FC
SW-1036-7436-7807
Nope.

I mean, they are a neat little thing to get, but I'm never wanting to collect every single trophy in the game.

leefe

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3093-7077-5080
some of the models are actually pretty nice
except for the kid icarus ones because i am 100% that they are ripped from the idols from ki:u

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
As a kid, I absolutely loved the trophies in Melee, and I couldn't even read that much English, back then. I liked the ones in Brawl but I never spent as much time looking at them as I spent in Melee. I might have most trophies unlocked un Brawl? In Melee I have about 230ish, but I know that if I run a Melee tournament or two, I can get enough coins to buy the rest of them.
Then Sm4sh came out, and it's the first time I'm actually seriously trying to get every single one. I have about 620 in the 3DS version, so I'm not that far. My love for the trophies as a child is about 95% of the reason I buy amiibos, since the Smash amiibos are basically real life trophies. Heck, I even called the amiibos "trophies" for the longest time before I got used to their name.
(Also, another big reason why I'm collection all trophies is because I only have 3 games for my 3DS: Pokemon Y, Sm4sh and Fire Emblem: Awakening. [Yes, I got it, now!] So I'm trying to play it as much as I can to justify spending so much money buying the game since games ain't cheap where I live.)

SoopaDerpcat

Smash Cadet
I kind of like them, but they really feel like...filler in this game. This game in particular because there are so many things I'd RATHER find! Want CDs? Sorry, here's some random guy with a sword who appeared in one Japan-exclusive title. Want a custom move? Sorry, here's a teenage pantaloons ape thing. Just want some extra gold to take on Crazy Orders? Sorry, here's that Animal Crossing dog that everybody obsesses over.

I honestly wouldn't mind all of the trophies if more other stuff dropped along with them. As it stands though, it feels like they put in an overabundance of trophies to make the drop system look slightly less stingy.

Last edited:

VillageofFitness

Smash Apprentice
The trophies reflect one of the main reasons why I like Smash overall. It's a great catapult for getting into new Nintendo games. Going as far back as SSB64, I didn't know what Metroid or F-Zero was when I bought the game, but it got me interested. The trophies are just an expansion of that learning experience. Especially in Sm4sh, where they have the cooperation of Namco, Capcom, Square, and who knows what that'll expand to when the presentation happens. I'm legit learning things about Namco's arcade library that I never would've learned or bothered to learn otherwise.

ZafKiel

Smash Apprentice
Uh, yeah. They're part of what make Smash a fun game. Even if you are a completely competitive player, I would still get them.

ForteX

Smash Journeyman
The trophies in Melee are what inspired me to start my embarrassingly large collection of video game figures, because seeing them all sitting on a table in a room much like my own was just too cool. I had to have it for real. Then when Smash Amiibos actually had the trophy stand base... look out, there goes my wallet.

I'm super competitive, and I've really gotten to the point that I think the only things that truly belong in Smash are a roster full of characters and nothing but legal stages... but I'm also a game designer, so I appreciate the love that goes into some of the trophies, and the descriptions are always nice to read. I don't really think they take up more than a month or two worth of work on the development end, so I can't honestly say they took the place of a character.

I guess someone needs to define "care" for me. I care about the trophies because they're in the game, and I can't change that, so I might as well collect them, right? If they were removed though, I wouldn't mourn their loss like Break the Targets or Board the Platforms, so maybe I don't actually care at all.

TORNADO BUS DRIVER

Smash Lord
I do, they are fun little extras and colecting them helps pass the timw, i used to love reading them to learn more about Nintendo when i was a kid.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
They're full of inaccuracies. If Nintendo doesn't care to research their own bloody works, why should I?

Nimbostratus

Smash Journeyman
I actually really liked the ones in Melee- seeing 3D models of characters like Pit, Donbe & Hikari, Marin, etc. was actually pretty fun. Brawl's, on the other hand, didn't impress me as much. I guess it's because so many of them were Subspace enemies that I don't care about and trophies entirely from recent games. Wii U & 3DS was, to some extent, a return to form. At the very least, the sheer number is impressive. I haven't had time to collect all of them yet, but I'd like to at some point.

Dar4

Smash Apprentice
I don't care one bit. I never look at them and I don't find them a very good incentive to play classic or other non conventional modes. But I'm a competitive tournament player, so they aren't exactly targeted towards me.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Absolutely love trophies and their flavor text. I actually love their flavor text more than the actual trophy if I am completely honest. It is like when you get stuck on wikipedia or TV tropes and just read random articles.

VillageofFitness

Smash Apprentice
I'm caring more about the trophies now because I''m at the point in Sm4sh where all I have to do is All star mode with a couple people and I'll have 700. Then, when you think about Brawl's impossibly unattainable trophy completion it makes you grateful for Sm4sh

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
I love the trophies, they add a lot of flavor to the single player experience and seeing some of your favorite characters with shiny new models is always cool, but I still feel cheated that Kirby doesn't even have a Bandana Dee, Dark Matter or even just a normal Waddle Dee trophy. I'd love trophies so much more if Mr. Sakurai was more willing to give the parts of Kirby he didn't make (more than half of the series) some actual representation outside of Magolor and Galacta Knight. Other than that though, I'm happy with the trophies.

Boo_Destroyer

Smash Journeyman
I love the trophies, they add a lot of flavor to the single player experience and seeing some of your favorite characters with shiny new models is always cool, but I still feel cheated that Kirby doesn't even have a Bandana Dee, Dark Matter or even just a normal Waddle Dee trophy. I'd love trophies so much more if Mr. Sakurai was more willing to give the parts of Kirby he didn't make (more than half of the series) some actual representation outside of Magolor and Galacta Knight. Other than that though, I'm happy with the trophies.
Sakurai isn't responsible for the trophies, that's why they easily got those two in there.

Leon Rios

Smash Cadet
NNID
LeonRios
I think trophies are awesome! I like to just check out the models and read the fun facts. I know most of them but occasionally there are some pretty cool facts that I didn't know about.

Weedy Spyze

Smash Apprentice
In Brawl I didn't, because getting the Subspace trophies and that stupid coin minigame made them absolutely not worth it. In Melee and Smash 4, I love collecting the trophies. I'll have all of them once I finish the challenges, someday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom