• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does anyone actually care about the trophies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boo_Destroyer

Smash Journeyman
Really, they seem to be the most underrated part of the series. Does anyone actually try to collect all of them? Somehow, I doubt it. I've looked through other people's copies and see that they don't even have that many.

Then there are the people who pretend like they're the most important part of Smash. But to my knowledge, hardly anybody ever collects/talks/thinks about them.

DukeofShorts

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Braedenthegreat
Some days I just go all out on the single player modes trying to unlock everything I can. I'm getting closer to all the trophies; I think I'm at around 630-650 out of 716 and I'm even closer on the 3DS. I like to read the trophy descriptions, especially on the games I haven't played because I have found many new games to play that I otherwise wouldn't've even heard of. I think they're great.

FaptastiCamel

Banned via Warnings
NNID
FaptastiCamel
3DS FC
4098-4885-5057
i absolutely do not care about them.

Nammy12

Smash Lord
NNID
Nammy12
I got all of them but that was mostly to satisfy the completionist side of me.
Never looked at them really.

It doesn't even take that long.
Maybe a day or two in trophy rush with DK.

Aquatics

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Aquapk
theyre fun to collect. Im not trying to get them all, but its cool nonetheless

wingedarcher7

The PSI Powerhouse
NNID
speedstar623
3DS FC
3411-2028-1159
I think they're cool and their descriptions are nice to read. When I got Smash 4, I told myself how I'd unlock all the trophies, beat all the challenges, and collect the customs. Yeah, that didn't happen and I don't really feel bad about it, but they're still nice nevertheless.

D

Deleted member

I find the trophies really nice, especially since most of them have pretty great and detailed character models and it's just nice to admire the nooks and crannies sometimes. That, and some descriptions are just flat-out perfect like Pokemon Trainer's or Pit's Eggplant trophy.

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
Took a while and I got every single trophy (including DLC) And I enjoy reading the descriptions and seeing how they look. Most are... interesting... Still cool. If nintendo never had the idea for trophies, all we'd get is rag-dolls similar to smash 64

War Anvil

Smash Lord
NNID
BattlingIronItem
3DS FC
2208-4585-5395
Switch FC
SW-5940-1276-1225
The correct answer may very well be...
Seriously, admit it. Sakurai and friends shore put a lot of effort into the trophy collection this time~ :4sonic:

_Sheik

Smash Lord
I loved them in Melee and Brawl. Seems like their descriptions got downgraded in the more recent games. However, I'll always welcome them in Smash games.

LordCQ

Smash Journeyman
I used to care before the game went out for the Fire Emblem ones, I thought there would be at least 15, 20, not the same ones a Brawl + Chrom, Lucina, Robin and Roy.

Now I don't care about trophies.

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681
I care, I love collecting stuff in games because it means more content and something that's not, in Smash' case, playing VS. matches all the time.
I wouldn't have minded to see more trophies that originated from games that were Japan-only, though. Trophies are a way to show forgotten/unknown Nintendo IPs too, after all.

WaddleKing

Smash Ace
NNID
Nassim250
I do, especially when it's with characters who never had a 3D or HD model before. Kind of disappointed of there still not to being a Sukapon trophy so we could have an official 3D model of him.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
I love trophies! They are by far on of my favorite parts of the franchise, sadly enough..

I used to spend HOURS in Brawl just playing Coin Launcher.

David Wonn

Smash Ace
Like others above have stated, I collected them all for completionist purposes. I just wish the game would stop giving them out along with custom moves, headgear, and Mii costumes since I already collected them all long ago. At least the designers had the sense to stop giving out the CDs, as they did in Brawl when all were collected.

Boo_Destroyer

Smash Journeyman
The correct answer may very well be...
Seriously, admit it. Sakurai and friends shore put a lot of effort into the trophy collection this time~ :4sonic:
Sakurai himself isn't actually reponsible for the trophy lineup.

Also:

"Super Smash Bros. characters and items"

Make of that what you will.

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
I loved them in Melee and Brawl. Seems like their descriptions got downgraded in the more recent games. However, I'll always welcome them in Smash games.
I thought the descriptions were a little better this time around, some of them are really funny and dumb (Blaziken comes to mind, but there are others)

Melee and Brawl's descriptions sounded like something you'd see out of a documentary or encyclopedia, while Smash 4's seem to be more conversational.

Plus how can you not love more stuff from the guy who wrote Earthbound? Come on

Boo_Destroyer

Smash Journeyman
The Smash 4 trophies in general are a lot better than before. Melee's are kinda weak in comparison.

The main thing about them that stands out is their overall designs. There's a lot more action going on in the trophy models. It's not the Final Smash trophies, but other kinds of trophies are going all out in appearance. They've also gotten a lot..."smarter" this time.

Some show background elements (Samus Gravity Suit, Saria, Whispy Woods, Vorash...), which makes them stand out a lot more. Some take on much more abstract concepts as well, and some portray whole scenes (sort of).

I also love the way Mario Kart trophies are handled this time: Character + Kart. Much, much smarter than a simple racing kart trophy. Trophies based on places are also a lot cooler this time. Group trophies and those of unexpected things are great as well.

So yeah, don't let Melee's crap fool you.

Last edited:

IndigoSSB

Back from the dead
I absolutely love the trophies, and always have in the other iterations of smash. It kind of enforces the idea that this is a game where characters from other games join together to battle. You also learn a lot about franchises you don't know (helped me get into FE, and without them I wouldn't know who Shulk is).

Although honestly I wish there were more, I can't help but feel that like a third of them are from the Mario series :/

The Jiggernaut

Smash Cadet
I like them but I feel like they have been downgraded in these newer games. I would say peak(aka best trophies) were the days of brawl. The newer trophies also feel like they only have the essentials. I enjoy getting trophies of random characters from the games that I haven't heard of, or incredibly memorable characters. I feel like earthbound and yoshi have always been seriously neglected trophy wise, each have great characters, poochy, magikoopa, the photographer, apple kid/orange kid, and retro hippie to name a few. I also miss stickers. They really brought out the collector in me.

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
I cared a lot about trophies back when they were introduced in Melee. They helped me get further into Nintendo and understand its history. I still enjoy them in that respect, but the trophy descriptions aren't what they used to be. The sheer number of them is a testament to how Sakurai wants to make the series a true ode to Nintendo, though.

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
It is an interesting bonus... fun to read about video game history.

With that said, if it was taking up a lot of memory that could be used for a new mode... I'd trade them in a hard beat.

Doubt that is the case though.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I do. They're a lot of fun to collect. I remember I have like 714 trophies right now (not counting the DLC ones). I was hoping to collect every one of them but they're getting pretty hard to do so these days.

Raijinken

Smash Master
I have every trophy on Smash 4U, and almost all of them on the 3DS version.

Side effect of clearing the challenge grid I suppose.

Back in the Melee/Brawl days I would sometimes just take a day to read through every trophy description in the game. But 4's are so memetic in most cases that I've significantly less interest in reading them.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I used to care before the game went out for the Fire Emblem ones, I thought there would be at least 15, 20, not the same ones a Brawl + Chrom, Lucina, Robin and Roy.

Now I don't care about trophies.
Don't forget the other Awakening and Raidence trophies

phire_

Smash Cadet
Collecting trophies is a nice thing to do if you don't like online, or don't really have anyone to play with. The trophy descriptions can also be pretty cool. I also find most of the trophy models to look really nice in this game.

Boo_Destroyer

Smash Journeyman
Although honestly I wish there were more, I can't help but feel that like a third of them are from the Mario series :/
People are still surprised about this? It's Mario. There seems to be an unwritten rule with Nintendo in general that no other franchises are allowed to surpass Mario.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
I love collecting trophies and reading the info about them. I try to collect as many as possible, but I never can since some of them are outside my skill range (ie beating mods on the hardest difficulty or anything involving Cruel Smash). I'm getting close to having all the ones on the 3DS, since none of my friends have it, I spend most of the time unlocking stuff.

Gamr_8

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gamer807
I like to collect them just to look at them. I don't what it is about them ... they are just so nice to look at.

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
I don't care much. I've collected some but it's more something I do every once in a while when I have a weird itch to play the single player modes instead of online.

Boo_Destroyer

Smash Journeyman
I don't care much. I've collected some but it's more something I do every once in a while when I have a weird itch to play the single player modes instead of online.
It figures. They've always been one of the less important parts of the series.

Try listing them by type, and this is how it goes:

Fighter
Fighter Related
Final Smash (Wii U only)
Item
Assist Trophy
Poke Ball
Stage
Enemy
Series Related
Other

They're all mostly in-game elements. Only the last two categories are random crap that couldn't make it into the gameplay.

Gimmick

Smash Ace
I don't. The trophies always seemed kind useless to me. Plus I didn't really care about most of the ones I got. I wish they at least gave you a reason to collect them. To me there just a waste and come off as aesthetic and unnecessary (with info that I can find on Wikipedia and jokes that fall flat a majority of the time).

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Got 'em all on every Smash game. Definitely prefer the new trophy descriptions to the old ones. The oldies were kinda just there... And often wrong for some reason. The new ones are really funny and memorable. (Heck, even the town of AAAAA joke on Rover's trophy made it back to Animal Crossing.)

Collecting them is pretty fun too. Trophy Rush is the most fun way to gather them out of any other mode in Smash, although it's pretty monotonous if you're just grinding for 'em. (Fox laser/Palutena Heavenly Light spam.)

Moorthen

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I really like the trophies in this game. I've almost collected them all on the 3DS version, and the 3D effect makes some of them look really cool. Taking pictures of them is a ton of fun on the Wii U version, too, even though it's rather limited.

L1N3R1D3R

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-3822-0133-6917
I'm normally fine with then, but the fact that they give so much more attention to them than the new feature of custom parts gets me. However, now that I have every custom move on both versions, I'm aiming for trophies more.

Last edited:

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
I collected them all on the 3DS version - just to have something to do while I played on the go. They are fun but I wouldn't lose sleep if I didn't get them all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom