• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dodges online

ItsASquid

Smash Apprentice
The 3 types of dodges are giving me a lot of trouble when I play online - which is my only option. Basically because of how variable online lag is, the timing to punish the dodges varies not only from character to character but from dodge to dodge. It's hard enough for me to attack during the extremely specific timing offline (CPUs) but online is sometimes impossible. What worked to catch out one dodge may not work the next time because the variable lag makes me a frame ir two late. This is especially problematic for Robin and his downsmash, which is already unreliable at the best of times.

Exclusively in online games, how does one punish someone who knows that lag makes their rolls/spot dodges/air dodges so much safer?

Envoy of Chaos

Smash Ace
Reads and baits, sadly you just aren't going to be able to punish things online like you can offline it's just a unfortunate fact. Try reading their roll/dodge see what their habits are (say they roll back whenever they land almost always) next time they land expect it and prepare to cover that option. Baits are also great if you notice dodge habits like spot dodging every time to try to dash grab make them think you aren't going to adapt to that option, make it look like your going for another dash grab and then tomahawk grab or prepare a attack instead punishing the spot dodge.

Getting better with reads and baits will make your overall game much better as well

Luigi player

Smash Master
Good luck man.

You can't even truly punish rolls offline on reaction unless you're standing at the perfect spot to punish them with fast attacks (jabs, fast grab), or you have a fast and good distance dashgrab/attack.

Online, you can't even punish them if you predict them, unless you predict the exact timing as well (or you have a really good connection).

Some stay in shield to make it easier to grab them after a roll.
Some roll another time making any followup impossible unless you're predicting the 2nd roll (and its direction) as well.

Offline, you at best have about 15 frames to punish someone (most rolls last about 30 frames). ~12 to realize he's doing something, and then add 5 because of input delay. Then you have to be in position as well to punish.
Sometimes I can't even punish a roll behind me with a jab, even if I'm trying to wait for it (unless I'm already turned around), because you have to be so precise with the controlstick to not dash accidently (this is really bad in Smash4).

TL;DR: predict them :/

Top Bottom