• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Doctor Who Discussion - Series 14 debut 11th/10th May 2024

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I just found out about this thread - I've been getting caught up on Doctor Who, though I'm quite a bit behind, even if we're just limiting it to the modern era.

Over the past three years or so that I've been catching up, I've seen/read/listened to...
  • the Ninth Doctor's season (I started here; I got a DVD set that covered the 9th and 10th Doctors)
  • the Tenth Doctor's seasons
  • roughly half of the Eleventh Doctor's seasons (I'm a little over halfway through the 11th Doctor's second season - I just finished "The Girl Who Waited")
  • most of season 6 of the Fourth Doctor (I enjoyed what I've read of Douglas Adams's work, and I wanted to get into classic Who); all I have left are "The Horns of Nimon" and "Shada", though I read the novelization of Shada a while back.
  • an audio-only (Big Finish) crossover between the Fourth and Tenth Doctors called "Out of Time"
  • "The Five Doctors" (I wanted to get an idea of what most of the other classic Doctors are like - it got me interested in the Second and Third Doctors, though I don't think there are any full season box sets for the Second, which is how I've been watching this series)
I've ordered Tom Baker's first season, which should arrive in the next day or two. Beyond that, I'm planning to get 12 and 13's box sets once I've finished 11, and I might get the 3rd Doctor's second season at some point down the line. (since it introduces the Master)

Really enjoying the show so far - a bit hesitant to get into the classic Doctors (beyond 4, I'm not sure of the quality of their seasons), but I'm willing to give 3 a try, at least. As for the modern series, it's been interesting to go into the story of River Song spoiler-free - I've been right about some details and way off on others.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I just found out about this thread - I've been getting caught up on Doctor Who, though I'm quite a bit behind, even if we're just limiting it to the modern era.

Over the past three years or so that I've been catching up, I've seen/read/listened to...
  • the Ninth Doctor's season (I started here; I got a DVD set that covered the 9th and 10th Doctors)
  • the Tenth Doctor's seasons
  • roughly half of the Eleventh Doctor's seasons (I'm a little over halfway through the 11th Doctor's second season - I just finished "The Girl Who Waited")
  • most of season 6 of the Fourth Doctor (I enjoyed what I've read of Douglas Adams's work, and I wanted to get into classic Who); all I have left are "The Horns of Nimon" and "Shada", though I read the novelization of Shada a while back.
  • an audio-only (Big Finish) crossover between the Fourth and Tenth Doctors called "Out of Time"
  • "The Five Doctors" (I wanted to get an idea of what most of the other classic Doctors are like - it got me interested in the Second and Third Doctors, though I don't think there are any full season box sets for the Second, which is how I've been watching this series)
I've ordered Tom Baker's first season, which should arrive in the next day or two. Beyond that, I'm planning to get 12 and 13's box sets once I've finished 11, and I might get the 3rd Doctor's second season at some point down the line. (since it introduces the Master)

Really enjoying the show so far - a bit hesitant to get into the classic Doctors (beyond 4, I'm not sure of the quality of their seasons), but I'm willing to give 3 a try, at least. As for the modern series, it's been interesting to go into the story of River Song spoiler-free - I've been right about some details and way off on others.
i can advise you on the classic series if i may, having watched most of it. 2nd doctor's time is full of missing episodes so it's not surprising there's no box sets for him. however he is still a great doctor with many great stories my own personal favourite being Fury from the Deep. the 5 tom baker series that covers the the Key to time arch is worth a watch as well if you like douglas adamas as it's got one of his stories The Pirate Planet. the 3rd doctor is more action focused with jon pertwee playing the character as an action hero. his second series which introduces the master is worth it i'd say as roger delgado was amazing in the part

also big finish is great

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I made it to The Angels Take Manhattan when it comes to catching up with modern Doctor Who, which seems like a good point to switch things up and go to classic Doctor Who for a bit. (that episode was an emotional roller coaster)

I've mostly been watching the Fourth Doctor (I'm working my way through his first season; I haven't been watching that one in order, since I went directly from Robot to Genesis Of The Daleks, but I just watched The Ark In Space), but I found a box set for the Third Doctor's second season (the one that introduces Roger Delgado's version of the Master) on sale, so I decided to watch Terror Of The Autons (the Master's debut) last night.

The dynamic between Jon Pertwee and Roger Delgado is great, and while I'm worried that a full season of the Master might be overdoing it (one of the BluRay's special features says that the Master shows up in all of the serials in this season), I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes. (the Daemons is apparently a highlight of the season)

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I made it to The Angels Take Manhattan when it comes to catching up with modern Doctor Who, which seems like a good point to switch things up and go to classic Doctor Who for a bit. (that episode was an emotional roller coaster)

I've mostly been watching the Fourth Doctor (I'm working my way through his first season; I haven't been watching that one in order, since I went from Robot to Genesis Of The Daleks, but I just watched The Ark In Space), but I found a box set for the Third Doctor's second season (the one that introduces Roger Delgado's version of the Master) on sale, so I decided to watch Terror Of The Autons (the Master's debut) last night.

The dynamic between Jon Pertwee and Roger Delgado is great, and while I'm worried that a full season of the Master might be overdoing it (one of the BluRay's special features says that the Master shows up in all of the serials in this season), I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes. (the Daemons is apparently a highlight of the season)
nice to hear you’re enjoying it. sounds like you’ve been watching some of the best stories of the classic series

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
so returning showrunner Russel T Davis put out a video saying that he feels that the character Davros portrays disabled people as evil and in future he maybe magically un-disabled. i imagine this will stir up the shall we say more lively parts of the fandom

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I just watched the special on Disney Plus, and I'm really glad that I was caught up on the Tenth Doctor's run going into this.

Also, the new intro is gorgeous.

Last edited:

darkvortex

Smash Lord
special was pretty fun. A pretty straight adaption of the original comic, so thus I wasn't really surprised when the twists happened. I found some of the writing around the big reveal a little clunky, but far be it from me to put down such a strong pro trans message

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
special was pretty fun. A pretty straight adaption of the original comic, so thus I wasn't really surprised when the twists happened. I found some of the writing around the big reveal a little clunky, but far be it from me to put down such a strong pro trans message
i wouldn't call it a straight adaptation. more like a very streamlined version

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I got the feels watching the special. I can't wait for the next episode. I feel like Jodi W and her show in general got snubbed a bit especially since she wasn't able to hand off to the new doctor directly. Ah well already I think this whole thing is going to be great regardless just kind of wish they'd been smoother with this transition.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I thought the latest episode was pretty good my favourite part was everyone in the build up to the release said it was like nothing DW had done before and then while watching it there was barely a moment I wasn’t comparing to another episode

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I just finished the 14th Doctor's run. I'm a little concerned with how it ended (the bigeneration concept, coupled with the 15th Doctor getting a copy of the TARDIS rather than the original, has me concerned that some racist segment of the Doctor Who fandom is going to use that as ammunition to claim that the 15th Doctor isn't "the real" Doctor), but Neil Patrick Harris and Catherine Tate were entertaining, David Tennant got a good send-off, and Ncuti Gatwa seems like he'll be entertaining as the Doctor.

(there was a part where I had to skip forward a minute or two to avoid spoiling myself - the "well, that's all right, then!" scene that became a meme)

Also, I got some Doctor Who books on Christmas and Boxing Day (a character encyclopedia, a 50th anniversary guidebook, and a novel called Scratchman that was written by Tom Baker), along with the DVD set for the 12th Doctor. (I ordered the last two on Boxing Day because the DVD was half price)

When it comes to my watch-through of the classic series, I've finished "The Mind of Evil" in Pertwee's run (the six episode stories feel kind of slow-paced from my limited experience), and for Tom Baker, I've finished his first season and I'm about halfway through his third. (I watched the last two Sarah Jane episodes and The Deadly Assassin, so now I'm on to Leela's introduction) Not sure if the Leela introduction episodes will live up to this sequence:

but I figure Tom Baker will be fun to watch regardless.

darkvortex

Smash Lord
I just finished the 14th Doctor's run. I'm a little concerned with how it ended (the bigeneration concept, coupled with the 15th Doctor getting a copy of the TARDIS rather than the original, has me concerned that some racist segment of the Doctor Who fandom is going to use that as ammunition to claim that the 15th Doctor isn't "the real" Doctor), but Neil Patrick Harris and Catherine Tate were entertaining, David Tennant got a good send-off, and Ncuti Gatwa seems like he'll be entertaining as the Doctor.

(there was a part where I had to skip forward a minute or two to avoid spoiling myself - the "well, that's all right, then!" scene that became a meme)

Also, I got some Doctor Who books on Christmas and Boxing Day (a character encyclopedia, a 50th anniversary guidebook, and a novel called Scratchman that was written by Tom Baker), along with the DVD set for the 12th Doctor. (I ordered the last two on Boxing Day because the DVD was half price)

When it comes to my watch-through of the classic series, I've finished "The Mind of Evil" in Pertwee's run (the six episode stories feel kind of slow-paced from my limited experience), and for Tom Baker, I've finished his first season and I'm about halfway through his third. (I watched the last two Sarah Jane episodes and The Deadly Assassin, so now I'm on to Leela's introduction) Not sure if the Leela introduction episodes will live up to this sequence:

RTD said in the episodes commentary that an upcoming episode will address and confirm that this is still very much THE Tardis

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I just finished the 14th Doctor's run. I'm a little concerned with how it ended (the bigeneration concept, coupled with the 15th Doctor getting a copy of the TARDIS rather than the original, has me concerned that some racist segment of the Doctor Who fandom is going to use that as ammunition to claim that the 15th Doctor isn't "the real" Doctor),
I’ve seen others with this same concern

a novel called Scratchman that was written by Tom Baker
there’s an interesting story behind that. back in the earliest days of his tenure Tom baker and Ian marter wrote the original version of this as a movie script. I believe they wanted Vincent price to play the titular scratchman

Mind of evil became one of my favourite 3rd doctor stories. As for mind of evil, well if it doesn’t quite live up to that scene there are certainly other stories with leela that do

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I've finished the four seasons of classic Who that I got on BluRay (Pertwee's second season, and Tom Baker's first, third, and sixth seasons). I'm still getting caught up on 12 (and I plan to get 13's DVD afterwards), and I plan to get Pertwee's fourth season at some point (largely because it has The Three Doctors, and I liked Patrick Troughton in The Five Doctors), but I had a question: out of the Doctors from 5-8, if I picked just one to watch, which would you recommend?

(also, in the trailer that I linked, the Doctor tells Jo "we've got all the time in the world", which is setting off alarm bells in my head given how that phrase is used in James Bond, which the Third Doctor's run was partially inspired by)

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I've finished the four seasons of classic Who that I got on BluRay (Pertwee's second season, and Tom Baker's first, third, and sixth seasons). I'm still getting caught up on 12 (and I plan to get 13's DVD afterwards), and I plan to get Pertwee's fourth season at some point (largely because it has The Three Doctors, and I liked Patrick Troughton in The Five Doctors), but I had a question: out of the Doctors from 5-8, if I picked just one to watch, which would you recommend?

(also, in the trailer that I linked, the Doctor tells Jo "we've got all the time in the world", which is setting off alarm bells in my head given how that phrase is used in James Bond)
I would recommend 5. There’s nothing wrong with 6 & 7 but the writing lets them down in a few stories

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
we have our air date for Ncuti's first series. we are getting a double bill with the episodes being available at midnight on the 11th of May. at the same time it will be on disney + for other but it'll still be the 10th for you guys

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
fans of the 11th and 12th doctors may be pleased to know that the showrunner of that time, Stephen Moffat, has been confirmed to have written an episode for the upcoming series.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
we've got our episode titles for the upcoming series. before i post them just wanna ask if anyone thinks i should spoiler them

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Ok so here’s the episode titles for series 14

Space Babies
The Demons Chord
Boom
73 Yards
Dot and Bubble
Rogue
The Legend of Ruby Sunday
Empire of Death

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I was planning to pick up the BluRay set for Peter Davison's second season, but it keeps getting delayed for some reason. It was originally scheduled to come out April 2nd, roughly 7 months after the UK release, which already seems unusually long compared to other season sets, but now it was pushed back to June 4th.

I'll still get it when it comes out, but if I get near the end of Peter Capaldi's run before then, I'll likely go with the 8th Doctor's movie. I've heard mixed things, but I figure I'll give it a try. (I'd also be ordering the Jodie Whittaker collection at the same time)

Also, I finished Jon Pertwee's fourth season. The Three Doctors was a lot of fun, and I enjoyed The Green Death, though some episodes (Planet of the Daleks is the first that comes to mind here) kind of dragged. Roger Delgado made an appearance as the Master (his last one, apparently), where he continued to be a delight. (shame that the team-up between the Master and the Daleks was crammed into the final episode of a six-parter)

I found that the six-part stories dragged, so I'm a little concerned about going back to the First or Second Doctor's era where there are seven-parters, ten-parters, or in one case a twelve-parter.

For Peter Capaldi's run, I've started his second season; I've heard that he gets better as his run goes on, and he's already one of my favourite Doctors, so I'm looking forward to seeing his later episodes.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I was planning to pick up the BluRay set for Peter Davison's second season, but it keeps getting delayed for some reason. It was originally scheduled to come out April 2nd, roughly 7 months after the UK release, which already seems unusually long compared to other season sets, but now it was pushed back to June 4th.

I'll still get it when it comes out, but if I get near the end of Peter Capaldi's run before then, I'll likely go with the 8th Doctor's movie. I've heard mixed things, but I figure I'll give it a try. (I'd also be ordering the Jodie Whittaker collection at the same time)

Also, I finished Jon Pertwee's fourth season. The Three Doctors was a lot of fun, and I enjoyed The Green Death, though some episodes (Planet of the Daleks is the first that comes to mind here) kind of dragged. Roger Delgado made an appearance as the Master (his last one, apparently), where he continued to be a delight. (shame that the team-up between the Master and the Daleks was crammed into the final episode of a six-parter)

I found that the six-part episodes dragged, so I'm a little concerned about going back to the First or Second Doctor's era where there are seven-parters, ten-parters, or in one case a twelve-parter.

For Peter Capaldi's run, I've started his second season; I've heard that he gets better as his run goes on, and he's already one of my favourite Doctors, so I'm looking forward to seeing his later episodes.
glad to see you enjoying it

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm nearing the end of Peter Capaldi's second season. This speech alone (the clip doesn't cover all of it, but it's from the end of the Zygon Inversion) was amazing. I found the Zygon Inversion to be a really strong episode in general, between that and the scene where Clara talks to Bonnie (the leader of the villainous Zygons)

I just finished Heaven Sent and started on Hell Bent, which seems to be the season finale. (Going by the disc label, the next two episodes are specials)

Also, I ordered the Jodie Whittaker DVDs and the BluRay for Sylvester McCoy's final season. From what I could tell, the BluRay for the Paul McGann movie was only released in Europe, and I didn't want to risk getting a movie that I might not be able to watch.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I'm nearing the end of Peter Capaldi's second season. This speech alone (the clip doesn't cover all of it, but it's from the end of the Zygon Inversion) was amazing. I found the Zygon Inversion to be a really strong episode in general, between that and the scene where Clara talks to Bonnie (the leader of the villainous Zygons)

I just finished Heaven Sent and started on Hell Bent, which seems to be the season finale. (Going by the disc label, the next two episodes are specials)

Also, I ordered the Jodie Whittaker DVDs and the BluRay for Sylvester McCoy's final season. From what I could tell, the BluRay for the Paul McGann movie was only released in Europe, and I didn't want to risk getting a movie that I might not be able to watch.
good luck. jodie is really let down by the writing. but sylvetser's final series is probably his strongest

Top Bottom