• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Doctor Who Discussion - Series 14 debut 11th/10th May 2024

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I making a thread for us whovians on the smash boards

please post all problems you have with the timeless child here

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
alright then ill get the ball rolling as it were

i love jodie whittaker as the doctor but the writing in the series has been a bit of a let down. true all doctors have their low points. my problem with the timeless child being the doctor is that it feels like it takes something away from the character. i liked the idea that the doctor was unusual for a time lord but now shes not even one. so now its shes different cause shes a completely different race not just cause she was different cause she was

also the master just destroying gallifrey doesnt make sense either. if he had the power to just destroy gallifrey when ever he would have conquered it years ago. just doesnt make sense

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
What I honestly hated about these recent episodes was the political subtext. Or well, not too subtext. Like, they give a f***ing speech in each episode about stuff like climate change, pollution, etc. Not too subtle, it's cringy and ruins the episode. Fugitive of the Judoon, Spyfall Part 1, The Haunting of Villa Diodati, Ascension of the Cybermen (which is a massive retcon in itself), and The Timeless Children were the only ones without it.

I miss the old days.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
What I honestly hated about these recent episodes was the political subtext. Or well, not too subtext. Like, they give a f***ing speech in each episode about stuff like climate change, pollution, etc. Not too subtle, it's cringy and ruins the episode. Fugitive of the Judoon, Spyfall Part 1, The Haunting of Villa Diodati, Ascension of the Cybermen (which is a massive retcon in itself), and The Timeless Children were the only ones without it.

I miss the old days.
i agree the messages could have been a lot subtler

which old days?

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
As I said in Bandana Dee thread, my favourite Doctor is Tennant. He's just quirky, but not too quirky. Human until his not. Just that perfect mix of what the doctor is, and I love it.

Also do you guys think its worth getting britbox to watch classic who? Twitch did a marathon of it I tried to watch, but it was too much and I had to move halfway through which left me without internet. But I do want to have another go at it

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
As I said in Bandana Dee thread, my favourite Doctor is Tennant. He's just quirky, but not too quirky. Human until his not. Just that perfect mix of what the doctor is, and I love it.

Also do you guys think its worth getting britbox to watch classic who? Twitch did a marathon of it I tried to watch, but it was too much and I had to move halfway through which left me without internet. But I do want to have another go at it
My family got Britbox mainly for other things, but yeah, its very comprehensive. Every episode of the Classic Era. I tried watching some, but the low budget and bad effects started getting on my nitpicky nerves, not to say the episodes themselves were bad. So yeah, if you're dying to watch every classic episode, Britbox has got you covered.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
What's your favorite Doctor though? I personally love Capaldi's stuff.
well probably matt smith or patrick troughton

classic doctor who is amazing

My family got Britbox mainly for other things, but yeah, its very comprehensive. Every episode of the Classic Era. I tried watching some, but the low budget and bad effects started getting on my nitpicky nerves, not to say the episodes themselves were bad. So yeah, if you're dying to watch every classic episode, Britbox has got you covered.
not every episode many are still missing

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Never listened to any of the audio adventures but I am curious about them. Although I'm not exactly sure I'd want to spend money on them

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
So the Doctor Who Youtube Channel has been posting these UNIT Logs recently. They focus on the Crack in Time and how it's beginning to expand and release things (including a Cyberman at Saint Paul's Cathedral and a Dalek coming out of the Thames, nice references) and they showed the 10th and 11th Doctor's shoes. The second clip shows a UNIT sergeant about to enter the Crack, while the first clip shows it. They're saying they'll be posting these throughout the week. Two are out, which means probably at least 5 more are to come. Kinda excited to see where this leads, as it is part of Time Lord Victorious, which I still don't get the big picture of.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
A trailer for Revolution of the Daleks has released, confirming the January 1st date. On top of that, there's a pretty cool Dalek mini series on the Youtube channel. Both are some good watches.
Can recommend those Dalek shorts, they're finished, free to watch and has one of the best Dalek characters yet in the strategist. Hopefully who ever wrote has some say in the main episodes.

Also I'm currently watching classic who, brit box recently released in my country

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
Revolution of the Daleks aired, beginning had parts that predicted the future, they brought back the guy from Arachnids in the UK, Graham and Ryan leave, some guy played by a comedian is the new companion.

Personally it was much better than normal, but it had too many ideas that got shown and used way too little. Made the whole thing seem rushed.

What are you guys thoughts?

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
So, little late on this, but Doctor Who Season 13 has been announced. No set release date has been released, but it is confirmed to be airing this fall. It will be a 6 episode long story, with three specials (A New Year's, a Spring, and a Fall special) airing in 2022. Also, spoilers for later in the season: Jodie Whittaker is confirmed to also be leaving the show during the Fall Special alongside Chris Chibnall as showrunner.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
My biggest gripe was all the teases to upcoming episodes that felt completely unrelated to what the Doctor was doing, but I still enjoyed it.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
probably cause hes trying to do one long story
I get that, but this just felt poorly done. Sontarans being in this specific episode added nothing, it just told us to expect Sontarans. And the weeping angel scene felt so out of place. The Doctor has experience meeting people from their future, why act so confused. That interaction felt so weird.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I get that, but this just felt poorly done. Sontarans being in this specific episode added nothing, it just told us to expect Sontarans. And the weeping angel scene felt so out of place. The Doctor has experience meeting people from their future, why act so confused. That interaction felt so weird.
i suppose thats what happens when you try to include every story thread at once

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
The Weeping Angel scene annoyed me a fair bit as it was kind of there, and the Angels didn't show up till the "Look everyone's getting into their places" sequence at the cliffhanger. That and the thing was in it's hands over eyes pose the whole time, whereas past angels immediately went feral. I personally think it was just so Chibnall could have that shot of the angel in Claire's eye without needing to explain the "Eyes are the windows to the soul" stuff from the Angel two parter. Just felt weird to me.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
The Weeping Angel scene annoyed me a fair bit as it was kind of there, and the Angels didn't show up till the "Look everyone's getting into their places" sequence at the cliffhanger. That and the thing was in it's hands over eyes pose the whole time, whereas past angels immediately went feral. I personally think it was just so Chibnall could have that shot of the angel in Claire's eye without needing to explain the "Eyes are the windows to the soul" stuff from the Angel two parter. Just felt weird to me.
i can understand your thinking. there has been a few times where it felt like his dilbraelty skimmed over things

Top Bottom