• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you want to rest every time? [Tech Chase Rest]

CASHMONEYDOLLABILLS

Smash Cadet
Do you want to rest every time? [Tech chase rest]

After playing around in 20xx with develop mode, I was testing some frame data to find a way to rest Fox out of tech in place. I just used a second player dummy with no DI, at 40%, to test this tech chase. These are my findings:

This tech chase scenario is created by hitting Fox with the innermost hitbox of a short back air. You want to put out the bair asap after being airborne, as you need to do the auto-cancel' bair. I was putting out the back air on the first airborne frame. After Fox get's hit, he will be flying away in hitstun. Use your aerial mobility to place yourself as close as possible to where Fox hits the ground. By just floating towards him, as I did with my testing, you should land on the stage on frame 31 of your bair and Fox will be in frame 6 of his tech option. Theoretically, it would be able to land earlier by timing a precise fast fall, as long as you land after frame 25 of your bair it will auto-cancel. (So you could land the same frame as the first frame of Fox's tech).

Your auto-canceled back air has 4 frames of end lag, meaning you would enter kneebend ("jumpsquat") frame 11 and be airborne frame 16 of Fox's tech animation. Fox is vulnerable frame 20-26 of his tech animation, meaning you can simply float into Fox and rest him before he can shield or shine (frame 27). By learning to fast - fall at the precise moment in your back air and landing frame 25, which is six frames earlier than the way I show you below, you can be airborne 6 frames earlier. This means you'll be airborne frame 10, 16 frames before Fox's tech animation is over. This gives you a little leniency to miss inputs by a couple frames and still land the rest.

This means that you can rest every char any time they tech in place. Pichu and Pikachu are much more difficult, as they only have 2 frames of vulnerability at the end of their tech in place (still possible).

~Video~

[My capture card is buster'd so i'll add the video later when I can take one in decent quality]

Also using this setup:

If fox misses the tech, you can turn and jab reset rest.

If fox techs in (rolling through you), you can just follow him through the air and rest him.

If fox techs away, you can not rest. However, you can jump towards him and hit him with another AC bair setting him up for the same tech chase or knocking him off stage for a edgeguard.

Trezz

Smash Cadet
Wait, so do you have to get the bair out immediately on the first airborne frame for this to work then? Or can you do the bair a bit later and still pull this off?

Scootch

The coolest Yoshi of them all
NNID
Little_Dragon34
Nice thread! It is cool to see it written out like that :)

Masondeanm

Smash Cadet
Wait, so do you have to get the bair out immediately on the first airborne frame for this to work then? Or can you do the bair a bit later and still pull this off?
I think you just have to auto-cancel it, which does not require it to start on the first airborne frame.

Last edited:
Top Bottom