• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you want/expect one-shot Zelda characters? (Midna, Ghirahim, Champions, etc.)

Topic

• I want one-shot Zelda characters, but don't expect them

Votes: 118 65.9%
  • I expect one-shot Zelda characters, but don't want them

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I want and expect one-shot Zelda characters

Votes: 25 14.0%
  • I neither want nor expect one-shot Zelda characters

Votes: 27 15.1%
  • I don't care

Votes: 8 4.5%

• Total voters

UserKev

Smash Champion
Ghirahim is a moron who represents the post-WW Dark Age of Zelda that lasted until ALBW.

Skull Kid is a decisive villain who represents the N64 heyday of the series.

The representation of Zelda's golden age alone puts Skull Kid far above Ghirahim (and Midna as well).
(Edit) Mistake for my typo.

I wouldn't rate a character on an objective scale with how Zelda is in critical need of new representation. Ghirahim has no association with rather if he debuted from a dark age of Zelda releases. Rather, Its about what he can bring, which is some nice and quality potential.

I Do want Skull Kid. I'd be thrilled if his move set is like my perspective. Otherwise, he just has a cool design.

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
Ghirahim is a moron who represents the post-WW Dark Age of Zelda that lasted until ALBW.

Skull Kid is a decisive villain who represents the N64 heyday of the series.

The representation of Zelda's golden age alone puts Skull Kid far above Ghirahim (and Midna as well).
Ghirahim is at the bottom of my want list for Zelda newcomers too and I'd prefer Skull Kid myself above all others, but you act like you're talking about the damn Sonic franchise right now lol. To be perfectly honest I'd prefer any of those "Dark Age" games to Break of the Weapon and it's boring copy/paste content and no dungeons.

Last edited:

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
I want Skull Kid and Midna the most! Next would be Impa.

I of course want all 4 Champions but I do like Daruk the most. However, I wouldn't mind Darunia or Ruto either.

ZelDan

Smash Master
If there was any "dark age of Zelda" I'd say it was when Zelda went to the DS. Both of the DS titles were pretty weak and unimpressive.

Anyways, The only Zelda character I have any real interest in is Impa. She's both a character of importance and one that's actually appeared through multiple games (albeit she's had more radical design choices than Link, Zelda, or Ganondorf).

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Anyways, The only Zelda character I have any real interest in is Impa. She's both a character of importance and one that's actually appeared through multiple games (albeit she's had more radical design choices than Link, Zelda, or Ganondorf).
As weird as this might sound, Impa is sort of like the Waluigi of the Zelda series. She's a recurring characters who should be on the roster, but it feels like people are looking more at her role as a recurring character than they are her moveset potential. Impa could be really unique, but she seems pale in comparison to the rest of our options.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
As weird as this might sound, Impa is sort of like the Waluigi of the Zelda series. She's a recurring characters who should be on the roster, but it feels like people are looking more at her role as a recurring character than they are her moveset potential. Impa could be really unique, but she seems pale in comparison to the rest of our options.
nah impas in the main games all the time shes more like toad, they even have the same role to their respective princesses

UserKev

Smash Champion
My stance on Impa, she COULD be interesting. I'm speaking now because I have yet to see what she would be like in Smash. Impa right now, is underwhelming to me because Sheik has basically clouded her potential. I believe Sheik already represents Impa's complete aesthetic. Old Impa would be badass and unique.

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
Would anyone oppose Sheik being retired in favor of Impa?

Impa is really the only other recurring Zelda character aside from the big 3. And she would be the only non triforce wielder.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
My stance on Impa, she COULD be interesting. I'm speaking now because I have yet to see what she would be like in Smash. Impa right now, is underwhelming to me because Sheik has basically clouded her potential. I believe Sheik already represents Impa's complete aesthetic. Old Impa would be badass and unique.
well thats not true, impa has been shown to do many a thing that shiek has not

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Impa is really the only other recurring Zelda character aside from the big 3. And she would be the only non triforce wielder.
I wouldn't, because I think they can't really coexist and Impa fits much better with the current rule (only the recurring characters), but I'd rather they go in the opposite direction: get the one shots like Skull Kid, Vaati, Midna and Ghirahim in and keep Sheik alongside them as OoT's one-shot.

UserKev

Smash Champion
well thats not true, impa has been shown to do many a thing that shiek has not
Impa and Sheik might as well be the same person. Its like if she get into Smash, she's not even a new character. If she's to be the only next Zelda newcomer, for me I'd be "That's it?" Impa should be introduced with a 2nd new Zelda rep.

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
Impa would abso-freaking-lutely be nothing more than a Shiek clone at this point. I don't hate Impa or anything but it would be the most heavy handed way of giving Zelda an actual "new" character after going over 17 years without one.

Oddball

Smash Lord
nah impas in the main games all the time shes more like toad, they even have the same role to their respective princesses
However you look at it, Toad and Impa certainly deserve a spot more than Waluigi does.

I'm all for it. I think Sheik has outlived her role.

Impa would abso-freaking-lutely be nothing more than a Shiek clone at this point. I don't hate Impa or anything but it would be the most heavy handed way of giving Zelda an actual "new" character after going over 17 years without one.
Maybe, but I still think it would be a change for the better.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I don't want one-offs, but I do want the recurring species of Hyrule to get in and show the diversity and world of Hyrule in the context of Smash.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Impa and Sheik might as well be the same person. Its like if she get into Smash, she's not even a new character. If she's to be the only next Zelda newcomer, for me I'd be "That's it?" Impa should be introduced with a 2nd new Zelda rep.
ok but youre assuming that impa would be a shiek echo and theres nothing to guarantee that would be the case

However you look at it, Toad and Impa certainly deserve a spot more than Waluigi does.
ah someone else gets it

I don't want one-offs, but I do want the recurring species of Hyrule to get in and show the diversity and world of Hyrule in the context of Smash.
well it wouldnt be that different from having pp

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Do I want? Yes.

Do I expect? No.

Who do I want? Ganon, Impa, Masked Link (transforms into Deku Link, Goron Link, and Zora Link), Midna & Wolf Link, Skull Kid, Tetra, Tingle, and Toon Zelda... and maybe a generic Zelda enemy like an Octorok or a Moblin or even a Lynel or a Cucco.

Last edited:

OnyanRings

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4662-0014-5533
I'd really love Midna but she's already an assist trophy :T

I guess there's always human Midna but... Come on, i think we'd all prefer imp Midna :p

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Do I want? Yes.

Do I expect? No.

Who do I want? Ganon, Impa, Masked Link (transforms into Deku Link, Goron Link, and Zora Link), Midna & Wolf Link, Skull Kid, Tetra, Tingle, and Toon Zelda... and maybe a generic Zelda enemy like an Octorok or a Moblin or even a Lynel or a Cucco.
And... what about if you had to choose one?
I know youre an Impa fan (so if that's the choice, give me the runner up)- because unless we get Impa echo, I don't think we should have another Sheikah- but my opinion there is irrelevant.

Quillion

Smash Hero
The only way Impa will work as anything but an echo is if they make stuff up. And honestly, Smash is far past the point of making things up being acceptable.

Old Impa will just not work as a fighter.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
The only way Impa will work as anything but an echo is if they make stuff up. And honestly, Smash is far past the point of making things up being acceptable.

Nearly every character has attributes made up for them.
It's an entirely different genre- there is a very thin line between adapted and original.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
GIVE me old Impa. Impa and Sheik basically have the same aesthetic.
so you're reasoning is they have similar "aesthetic" theyd would automatically be the same?

some one hasnt seen a giant sword or naginata

and what is your basis for old impa working as a fighter?

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
fogbadge fogbadge

All other reasons aside, sure- any character can be unique.
But the question is really, should they be unique?

Impa is important as a character in Zelda. A missed echo opportunity for sure.
But the Sheikah are just one of many races in the Hyrule world- do they really account for 2/7ths of the Roster, if not an echo?

On this note... seriously... someone tell me how to make the echoes stay in one space on character select.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
fogbadge fogbadge

All other reasons aside, sure- any character can be unique.
But the question is really, should they be unique?

Impa is important as a character in Zelda. A missed echo opportunity for sure.
But the Sheikah are just one of many races in the Hyrule world- do they really account for 2/7ths of the Roster, if not an echo?

On this note... seriously... someone tell me how to make the echoes stay in one space on character select.
well you could argue that someone with a role as large as impa's is deserving of a unique moveset , as for the other races well that would come down to the most fair way to represent the series you could argue that while each of the series many races do have a large role in the over all series (especially gorons and zoras) there is no character among them who is prominent through out the series so that generic goron zora idea would probably make sense and you could argue that while the shiekah themselves may not warrant such a large presence but impa and shiek (who is zelda) themselves do in short it depends how you look at it id say

surely its in options

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
well you could argue that someone with a role as large as impa's is deserving of a unique moveset , as for the other races well that would come down to the most fair way to represent the series you could argue that while each of the series many races do have a large role in the over all series (especially gorons and zoras) there is no character among them who is prominent through out the series so that generic goron zora idea would probably make sense and you could argue that while the shiekah themselves may not warrant such a large presence but impa and shiek (who is zelda) themselves do in short it depends how you look at it id say

surely its in options
Oh- trust me, I DO want generic Zora, Goron, Deku, and Bokoblin (why can I never spell this correctly??)
They could have clothing based on the others of prominent names of their species.
I just want to see the wholeness of Hyrule.
Truly.
Sheik just should have been cut, quite frankly.
It does actually stand to reason that most of their tribe would have similar tactics to fight.

---unrelated, this whole post has desperately made me want an Avatar fighting game.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Sheik just should have been cut, quite frankly.
Agree. She sticks out like a sore thumb as a one shot among the staples,

That said, her getting cut will bring the fans out of the woodwork, even with Impa taking up the moveset. Then again, I don't see much positive opinion towards Sheik as one of the better one-shots.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Oh- trust me, I DO want generic Zora, Goron, Deku, and Bokoblin (why can I never spell this correctly??)
They could have clothing based on the others of prominent names of their species.
I just want to see the wholeness of Hyrule.
Truly.
well after pp there isnt really any reason why not

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
well after pp there isnt really any reason why not
I wish I agreed- but I don't.
I just don't see how one specific species could be given priority.
So many are important, and even just showcased.
I guess at that point it would only happen if Sakurai really wanted it, which I don't see happening.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I guess the big obstacle is how much they'll need to make up for a generic Goron or Zora. Piranha Plant has the benefit of having a lot of subspecies to draw from, so they didn't have to make up much. But all Gorons do is pretty much roll around, and Zoras only pretty much swim around. That's way too much they'll have to make up if that's all they have to work with.

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
I don’t understand why we’d want to add random no name characters to smash. Isn’t it supposed to be an all star game? The best of the best from around the league coming together for a friendly competition? Piranha Plant was a “ha ha look what we can do” inclusion. Do we really want more of that? I know I do not.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I don’t understand why we’d want to add random no name characters to smash. Isn’t it supposed to be an all star game? The best of the best from around the league coming together for a friendly competition? Piranha Plant was a “ha ha look what we can do” inclusion. Do we really want more of that? I know I do not.
If possible, I want less of that.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I want more of the ones that are icons in and of themselves. Mario and Zelda enemies are most definitely among the best of the best, and no amount of "they're not individual characters" will change my mind.

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
I'm fine with and would like one-timer characters for Zelda representation. It is puzzling that the Zelda series hasn't been given a new character since Brawl and even then it was pretty much the same charater with a different look. After all, Sheik is in and she was only in one mainline Zelda game. However, I do not think that she would have made it in as a standalone character had Zelda been given a different Down Special all along. Now for thoughts about the Zelda representation.

Link: Okay as he is in Ultimate except I would have given him a different new Final Smash which involved the Champions appearing like in Mega Man's Mega Legends, but it would be a vertical beam.

Zelda: Only thing I would have changed would have the coloring of dark Zelda be totally based on Hilda.

Sheik: I would have preferred reverting her look to Ocarina of Time Sheik. Would have liked if she used the Harp for the Smash.

Ganondorf: He can keep the same regular attacks he has in Ultimate, but it would have been nice if he had more canonical specials. As for his look, I would have reused his appearance based on his Twilight Princess incarnation.

Toon Link: no changes

Young Link: If his specials had to remain the same okay, but I do think he could have used more Majora's Mask references without changing his moveset. First, make the hookshot look like the one in MM. Second, couldn't he have become Fierce Diety Link to use Triforce Slash? His default sword in MM looks different from the Kokiri sword, couldn't that have been used?

Next, I would like to say what I would like the Zelda roster to have been in Ultimate that I think would have been ideal for me.
Link (BOTW)
Zelda (LTTP/LBW)
Sheik (OOT)
Ganondorf (TP)
Young Link (MM)
Toon Link (WW/other toon games)
Impa (SS): A partial clone of Sheik which brings back the the Chain Side Special, but it looks like the whip from Skyward Sword. Maybe with a slight rearrangement of moves to make Deku Nut the Down Special and something like Bouncing Fish working as Up Special.

I think Ultimate took the right approach by making the Zelda characters based on different games in the series.

At this point, I would accept a mook character to join the Zelda lineup. My choice would be Moblin with his look based on OOT. He could use the spear in his attacks and use the Club in his Final Smash.

I guess the big obstacle is how much they'll need to make up for a generic Goron or Zora. Piranha Plant has the benefit of having a lot of subspecies to draw from, so they didn't have to make up much. But all Gorons do is pretty much roll around, and Zoras only pretty much swim around. That's way too much they'll have to make up if that's all they have to work with.
It would be pretty easy to make a moveset for gorons if you take stuff from Spirit Tracks, Majora's Mask, and Twilight Princess. You'd probably be looking at a mixture of Sonic nonsense, sumo wrestling, and big boy DK punches. For good measure, we could throw in that big bomb barrel thing in MM. Spirit Tracks gave gorons a homing attack of sorts, which could be modified into something like Little Mac's side-B. The thing where they launch Link in TP could be modified into a recovery, and the roll could be a down-B reminiscent of Jigglypuff's rollout or a stance that is free-moving but becomes more powerful if you commit to a direction.

In general, though, I don't think most of Zelda's generic enemies are that iconic. Most people who haven't played a Zelda game wouldn't know that those enemies are from Zelda if they were seen without context. Darknuts look like black suits of armor. Stalfos are usually just goofy skeletons. Redeads are memorable if you've played the games, but otherwise they just look like zombies. Bokoblins and Moblins are a little better, being a mixture of pigs and goblins/ogres, but I'd just feel weird if they were in Smash. The most distinct and recognisible Zelda enemy is probably 8-bit octorok, at least if you go by merchandising. I don't for a second believe most people could name it, but a lot of people would know it's from Zelda. And octorok definitely wouldn't fit in Smash.

I would love to see another Zelda character join the roster, and I've always liked bokoblins, but they would have to be given a lot of personality to fit in with the rest of the roster. That's probably the issue with most Zelda races. I can't imagine them hanging out and eating pizza with Ike or Samus in the same way I could imagine a Mario enemy doing. It could work, but I'm not sure it's worth it when there are so many memorable characters who could be given the spotlight instead.

Top Bottom