• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you use your taunt? Why?

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Never, unless my opponent is a disrespectful ass to me in the first place. Otherwise, I'll refrain from taunting, mostly because taunting during the match and then losing said match makes you look like a complete and total ass.

Last edited:

Girthquake

Smash Journeyman
NNID
R0cco_Siffredi
As a DeDeDe main I simply crouch most of the time. People hate that.

Also, any time I break a shield it's mandatory to down taunt. D3 dancing and slapping his gut is too good.

Swampertrulz

Smash Lord
NNID
Swampertrulz
3DS FC
3883-9003-2472
When I KO people as Lucina, I do the "Come at me!" taunt. It makes me feel good.

Last edited:

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
I dont taunt unless I do something really cool like make a hard read, or get a spike. I find it incredibly disrespectful otherwise.It's just very poor sportsmanship.

It's also annoying when people taunt after a KO, especially when it's not even an impressive KO. It's like "really? you're proud of that? you're proud of meeting the bare minimum requirement of playing this game?"

SevenYearItch

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3969-6079-3846
I dont taunt unless I do something really cool like make a hard read, or get a spike. I find it incredibly disrespectful otherwise.It's just very poor sportsmanship.

It's also annoying when people taunt after a KO, especially when it's not even an impressive KO. It's like "really? you're proud of that? you're proud of meeting the bare minimum requirement of playing this game?"
I don't taunt after kills, but if I do this is the specific reason I do it haha Makes people mad, then they make bad mistakes and never nail reads. Easy punishes when the person is fueled by emotion

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I don't taunt after kills, but if I do this is the specific reason I do it haha Makes people mad, then they make bad mistakes and never nail reads. Easy punishes when the person is fueled by emotion
I really don't understand this philosophy in the slightest. Like, do people really think that taunting after every kill is just gonna send the opponent flying into a hyper-aggro fit of rage, thus making them perform sub-optimally? It's annoying, no doubt about that, but the most it's gonna do for you is maybe make your opponent waste their respawn invincibility trying to get you back.

Last edited:

SevenYearItch

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3969-6079-3846
I really don't understand this philosophy in the slightest. Like, do people really think that taunting after every kill is just gonna send the opponent flying into a hyper-aggro fit of rage? It's annoying, no doubt about that, but it's just an animation that bears to significant effect on the fight in most cases.
Nope, but it does mess with some people. A lot of people on here say they get super upset, and even a slight emotional response is still something. Might make them try something a big riskier to get the kill next stock, might do absolutely nothing. Do I think my mind games on stage are going to work 100% of the time? No, but might as well try and see if it does.

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
Nope, but it does mess with some people. A lot of people on here say they get super upset, and even a slight emotional response is still something. Might make them try something a big riskier to get the kill next stock, might do absolutely nothing. Do I think my mind games on stage are going to work 100% of the time? No, but might as well try and see if it does.
It may also cause your opponent to go HAM and end up beating you.

The thing is, when people taunt after a KO, it's not only disrespectful, but cowardly. Think about it; people only taunt when the other player is respawning, totally unable to hit them. They taunt during a time in which they are completely safe.

A real taunt is when you do it while the other player is offstage and coming back, or on the other end of the stage. Because then, not only are you taunting, but you're basically saying "you are such a non-threat to me, I'm going to leave myself wide open just to strike a pose in front of you."

SevenYearItch

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3969-6079-3846
It may also cause your opponent to go HAM and end up beating you.

The thing is, when people taunt after a KO, it's not only disrespectful, but cowardly. Think about it; people only taunt when the other player is respawning, totally unable to hit them. They taunt during a time in which they are completely safe.

A real taunt is when you do it while the other player is offstage and coming back, or on the other end of the stage. Because then, not only are you taunting, but you're basically saying "you are such a non-threat to me, I'm going to leave myself wide open just to strike a pose in front of you."
Like I said, could go either way. But why on earth would I not go for the safe taunt? lmao I'm not taunting to be a tough guy, I'm using it as disrespect 100% typically. Especially in my case, I rarely taunt at all unless its been someone that I feel should be disrespected a bit. I mean, I've taunted then hit a spike mid match with Falcon but it was luck. Just because I'm willing to taunt, doesn't mean I should also be "brave" and do it in such a way that you can punish me for it. Especially if I'm already up a stock

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
Like I said, could go either way. But why on earth would I not go for the safe taunt? lmao I'm not taunting to be a tough guy, I'm using it as disrespect 100% typically. Especially in my case, I rarely taunt at all unless its been someone that I feel should be disrespected a bit. I mean, I've taunted then hit a spike mid match with Falcon but it was luck. Just because I'm willing to taunt, doesn't mean I should also be "brave" and do it in such a way that you can punish me for it. Especially if I'm already up a stock
I mean, yeah, if the other player is taunting you and teabagging, by all means, taunt like crazy.

But taunting while they respawn isnt disrespect; it's gloating. Real disrespect is doing what you want while the other player is capable of fighting back.

IMO, if disrespect is what you're going for, you might as well go all the way with it. Otherwise you just end up looking like a turd.

SevenYearItch

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3969-6079-3846
I mean, yeah, if the other player is taunting you and teabagging, by all means, taunt like crazy.

But taunting while they respawn isnt disrespect; it's gloating. Real disrespect is doing what you want while the other player is capable of fighting back.

IMO, if disrespect is what you're going for, you might as well go all the way with it. Otherwise you just end up looking like a turd.
Not really. If I just taunt after the stock, then win the set.....then I look great actually. If I taunt and then he 2-stocks me I look like one maybe. Otherwise I look golden

zambiteer

Smash Rookie
NNID
zambiteer
3DS FC
5000-4246-4384
Yeah i do the same thing as you, with the exception of me getting a decent combo.

Campoq

Smash Rookie
NNID
Campoq
It became a habit whenever Im feeling cocky and I took a stock off my friend haha. Most of the time i really don't taunt; cant give that disrespect to my opponent

Riuvee

Smash Cadet
NNID
RiuAuraeon
3DS FC
4296-3444-5420
Only when the match starts, recovering after teching a Meteor, or during an hilariously unexpected moment during the fight.

Alternatively, after a hard to land move, such as the Knee Smash, Mega Upper, etc. Normally only in friendly rounds, or if the unknown opponent of mine is a good sport.

カワシさん

I taunt normally at the beginning of the match, randomly in the middle of one, or when I get a KO. I do this mainly just so I can say that I'm not taking the game too seriously.

wingedarcher7

The PSI Powerhouse
NNID
speedstar623
3DS FC
3411-2028-1159
I don't use my taunt unless I'm playing with friends or it's clear that neither of us are taking it seriously. I came to play a fair game, not to be make someone angry.

WhiteLion

Smash Cadet
I usually only taunt when I play my friends but I will taunt on F.G. if I pull off something nice like a spike.

Kalierdarke

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kalierdarke
That's another time I taunt, if there's a really amusing KO, or just a really good KO. doesn't matter if it's me of the opponent, I'm going to give that a taunt as a way of saying "haha, nice". Generally I stick to the less insulting taunts though, such as Samus's "salute", jigglypuff's little spin & pose, taunts like that. I save the "insulting" taunts for tryhards that think they're something special, or switch their name to something offensive.

Routa

Smash Lord
As Ike player I always use "Prepare yourself." taunt at the start of every match.

If I get 9 as G&W, I usually first side taunt and then up taunt.

I only taunt in FG tho.

Swampertrulz

Smash Lord
NNID
Swampertrulz
3DS FC
3883-9003-2472

What if it's a KO that's extremely satisfying?

Seb9k+

Smash Cadet
NNID
Seb9kplus
I always taunt at the start of a match in FG if by chance we are using the same character. "Now it's Shulk time!", well, of course it is, you're both Shulk!

God, I hate it when the other guy immediately takes Speed Art and rams me before my taunt is over, though. Idiot. Why so serious?

Puttaters

Smash Cadet
I only revenge taunt. Apparently the new thing now is to taunt twice in a row and once you've won to flash the character select screen like a maniac until its close to the time of the next match and leave. This is the second time this has happened to me and is why after I'm winning and revenge taunt I leave after the game to not give them the opportunity to even up with me or do this crap. This happened on FG last night and of all things it was a girl :crying:.

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
I only revenge taunt. Apparently the new thing now is to taunt twice in a row and once you've won to flash the character select screen like a maniac until its close to the time of the next match and leave. This is the second time this has happened to me and is why after I'm winning and revenge taunt I leave after the game to not give them the opportunity to even up with me or do this crap. This happened on FG last night and of all things it was a girl :crying:.
Why does it matter if it was a girl?

Last edited:

Akira213

Smash Cadet
Reserved for flashy kills like tipper F-Smash, Shield-Breaker, D-Air. Or if they SD by accident.

Puttaters

Smash Cadet
Dem gender stereotypes.
If you think my last sentence in my post was about girls should not play video games your wrong, she obviously beat me. I was talking about (if I was more specific) I was shocked because females are usually more kind and gentle. Her demeanor was very surprising to me. Come on man! :ohwell:

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
If you think my last sentence in my post was about girls should not play video games your wrong, she obviously beat me. I was talking about (if I was more specific) I was shocked because females are usually more kind and gentle. Her demeanor was very surprising to me. Come on man! :ohwell:
I think that's exactly the kind of stereotype Merkabo was talking about. "All girls are sweet and innocent creatures who fart rainbows and vomit sunshine!"

Swampertrulz

Smash Lord
NNID
Swampertrulz
3DS FC
3883-9003-2472
I was once in this 1v1 FG match. There was this guy that every time he hits on a Smash Attack, he would taunt. It was annoying as hell.

Graminthesalmon

Smash Cadet
Only if the opponent is cocky or at the start of doubles. Some other times perhaps, but only if it's a unique situation, otherwise I hate when people taunt.

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
With :4megaman:, I'll usually use his down taunt at the end of a match. Just like his games, he makes his leave with a teleport.
And with :4ryu:, it's a growing habit to start with "Talk is cheap."

Any other times I taunt are when my opponent is super rude.

ffdgh

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4768-8177-0708
Nah I don't taunt...though on the flip side, that seems to make people more mad. >_>

Instead I always select Peach's,"Aww, Didi I win?" victory animation since it's hilariously trollish.

Top Bottom