• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you use Shield DI?

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
If you don't, you should. I made this video because shield DI isn't nearly as close enough to being "common knowledge" as it should be. It's not in Wak's AHTP, but it's briefly mentioned in "The Official Everything Thread." In other words, it wasn't really taught to you when you were a noob, so there's a decent chance that you don't really have much of a concept of it consciously.

Use it in conjunction with lightshielding, if you're not already.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53t9fDzdCyw

Practical applications:
-Multiple hitting d-smashes (e.g. Peach, Sheik, Pikachu)
-Rapid jabs
-Shield pressure from Fox and Falco
-The lightshield edgehog vs Marth
-Other multihit moves on shield
-Falcon's raptor boost on shield
-Strong attacks on shield that may seem unpunishable (like certain spacings of Falco's f-smash or d-tilt)

Informative posts:
Differences between SDI and ASDI:
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=13729311&postcount=16

How rotational SDI works:
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=13729344&postcount=18

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I shield DI to get grabs I otherwise wouldn't have.

Xyzz

Smash Champion
During which frames do I get to input shield SDI?
I'm pretty sure it should be the shield hit stun of the move used on my shield, but I wasn't completely sure, so I thought I'd better ask :)

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
Yah but its different, cuz you can just hold the control stick, no C-stick necessary

ASDI=/=SDI <3333

time to watch the video though

Edit: Ignore me, just watched the video :X
you can ASDI with the control stick
the c-stick just outprioritizes the control stick for ASDI

i know SDI =/= ASDI

SDI takes place during hitlag*
ASDI takes place during the first frame of hitstun**

i am not sure if this is the case with shield SDI and shield ASDI
if that were the case, then shield SDI would take place during the hitlag on shield***
and shield ASDI would take place during the first frame of shield stun****

*hitlag: when an attack connects with you, there are frames in which the attacker and the attackee are frozen in place. on each frame of hitlag, you can input a smash DI (SDI). if you want to see a REALLY easy visual example of hitlag in game, attack a group of shy guys and see how much your character is slowed down by the hitlag.

**hitstun: the period of time where your character cannot move after being hit. hitstun is pretty much the reason that combos exist. you get hit, you can't move, your opponent can hit you again before you can do anything. ANYWAY, during the first frame of hitstun, you can input an automatic smash DI (ASDI). this is similar to SDI, except the distance is much less, significant. for ASDI only, the c-stick outprioritizes the control stick, so if you were to hold up with your control stick and down with your c-stick, you would ASDI down. all other types of DI are exclusively done with the control stick

***hitlag on shield: hitlag applies when something hits your shield, as well. assuming that SDI and shield SDI are the same mechanic, then shield SDI would be read and inputted during these frames.

****shield stun: when something hits your shield, there are frames in which you cannot move, meaning that if you try to shieldgrab, roll, jump, or dodge, nothing will happen. this is why you can't shieldgrab fox and falco for free all day. their aerials and shines have significant amounts of shieldstun that you have to work around in order to earn those shieldgrabs/other shield pressure counters. once again, we are going to assume that shield ASDI follows the same rules as ASDI. if this is the case, then we can deduce that you get a single frame of shield ASDI during your first frame of shield stun. if someone wants to test to see if you can input shield ASDI with the c-stick, please do so. i didn't feel like it, but if it does, then we have evidence supporting that shield ASDI = regular ASDI.

shoutouts to axe
if any of this info is wrong, it's all his fault LOOOOOOOL
<333

ThePrime

Smash Lord
Another useful application is when you shield falcon's raptor boost. SO MANY people try and shield grab it even though they know well that it'll wiff lol. SDI the hit in and get that shield grab.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
Another useful application is when you shield falcon's raptor boost. SO MANY people try and shield grab it even though they know well that it'll wiff lol. SDI the hit in and get that shield grab.
omg good stuff
i always do this vs falcon's raptor boost, but i forgot to mention it
it's also useful against falco players who try to d-tilt and f-smash your shield.

Timing for SDI is unknown to me. I just keep rolling. Any tips?
timing is really tricky because of the chance you might mistime and roll. you pretty much have to be perfect with it (unless you rotate. read below). honestly, i think shield ASDI is enough for most intents and purposes, and it pretty much eliminates the chance that you might roll.

i don't think regular shield SDI is that practical unless you roll the control stick rather than tapping it.
ASSUMING THAT SHIELD SDI AND REGULAR SDI ARE THE SAME MECHANIC, then this is how rotational DI (aka quarter circle DI) works

this is a diagram of the control stick that i stole from magus:

you see those pink and blue arrows? if you rotate your control stick past those points (in their respective directions), then you will input a smash DI.

so for example, if you were to SDI straight left and rotate up very slightly, you would get 2 SDI inputs: one for smashing left, and one for passing the pink arrow on the left that points up-right.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
i didn't watch the video
i know everything already, no point

Requiem

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
I used to do this, but playing against peach kind of made me not use it anymore.

If you tilt your shield away, you're in a lot more danger to be shieldstabbed by things like peach her dsmash hitting your uncovered pinkytoe.

Planet Piss

Smash Journeyman
I used to do this, but playing against peach kind of made me not use it anymore.

If you tilt your shield away, you're in a lot more danger to be shieldstabbed by things like peach her dsmash hitting your uncovered pinkytoe.
Lightshield DI for absolute victory.

Smoove-

Smash Rookie
omg good stuff
i always do this vs falcon's raptor boost, but i forgot to mention it
it's also useful against falco players who try to d-tilt and f-smash your shield.

timing is really tricky because of the chance you might mistime and roll. you pretty much have to be perfect with it (unless you rotate. read below). honestly, i think shield ASDI is enough for most intents and purposes, and it pretty much eliminates the chance that you might roll.

i don't think regular shield SDI is that practical unless you roll the control stick rather than tapping it.
ASSUMING THAT SHIELD SDI AND REGULAR SDI ARE THE SAME MECHANIC, then this is how rotational DI (aka quarter circle DI) works

this is a diagram of the control stick that i stole from magus:

you see those pink and blue arrows? if you rotate your control stick past those points (in their respective directions), then you will input a smash DI.

so for example, if you were to SDI straight left and rotate up very slightly, you would get 2 SDI inputs: one for smashing left, and one for passing the pink arrow on the left that points up-right.
Nice post, but I can't see the image. Can I find it by Google searching something in specific?

Top Bottom