• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you think the bidou tech could help zelda?

gir-sage

Smash Cadet
NNID
eduaiz
Here it is -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avr9CQlSqRI

I'm currently trying to get adapted to the controls. It's hard to change your whole control scheme and get used to it, but I will just keep practicing until I don't have issues.

There are some techniques in this video that if they are exploited correctly they could make zelda more viable. Using the c stick for specials helps with b reversing easily.
Fast and precise back airs are available, and perfect pivot is easy to do. I miss aerials/smashes with the c stick though.
Once I improve, I will report If I get results from this or not.

PGH_Chrispy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Geliaron
I'm adapting to it, though regular gamecube is still my better setup. The techs most useful for Zelda are the foxtrot, walk into dash (can fake a tilt and go for a dash grab), instant RAR bair, instant ledge trump, and the platform drop. Using double sticks for Farores helps with accuracy too, if you can get used to no notches on the controller.

The parts of my gameplay that falter so far are no cstick aerials/tilts, and I'm using a lot less specials. I'd say it's about 50/50 so far, but I'm just getting started.

KlicKlac

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KlicKlac

I'm currently trying to get adapted to the controls. It's hard to change your whole control scheme and get used to it, but I will just keep practicing until I don't have issues.

There are some techniques in this video that if they are exploited correctly they could make zelda more viable. Using the c stick for specials helps with b reversing easily.
Fast and precise back airs are available, and perfect pivot is easy to do. I miss aerials/smashes with the c stick though.
I got to give you props for starting a bidou discussion here BEFORE 'My Smash Corner" covered it!

I only use a gamecube controller and played around with switching the c-stick to specials, but unfortunately I use the c-stick for all my aerials and just could not get used to anything else. I think if pros start winning with the bidou tech in majors, we'll really start to see people relearn their control setups.

SanAntonioSmasher

Smash Apprentice
Is there an advantage of a RAR backair vs a frontair? I'm not familiar with the differences between the two aerials.

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
Is there an advantage of a RAR backair vs a frontair? I'm not familiar with the differences between the two aerials.
BAir hits frame 6 while FAir hits frame 9.

BAir sweet-spot KOs ~5% sooner but the move has 4F more ending lag

FAir has 23F landing lag while BAir has 25F

Both do not SHAC, sour-spots are identical besides FAir's lasting 1F longer.

It's up to preference. The extra lag is negligible so generally BAir would be good because it hits sooner upon jumping and thus can hit closer to the ground from FH.

Last edited:

Mr. Luma

Smash Rookie
NNID
BoyTheStar

Yeah same here I may try to adapt to the biduo tech on my gamecube controller

SanAntonioSmasher

Smash Apprentice
I've just started using bidou with pro controller for zelda. It's a tough adjustment.

I especially like the perfect pivot jab and dtilt though. Also, it's nice fast falling with R stick and keeping horizontal movement. Works well to fast fall cancelling nairs into combos like jab, grab, or up special.

Any tips for controller layout, or any other tips?

So far I'm trying ZL special, L shield, ZR attack, R jump, and X for grab. I've been tying to only use those buttons since I don't like trying to juggle between R stick and other buttons.

Kealmir

Smash Cadet
So I've been playing with Bidou on Zelda for a couple days now, and I've gotten to a fairly comfortable spot with it. I've already been using C-stick specials to mix up my ledge options with walk off reverse dins fire back to the stage, so having to just change one shoulder buttons wasn't a big deal to me. The 2 biggest benefits to Bidou I've seen so far have been Retreating/Approaching D-tilts to set up grabs and the ability to ledge dash attack (which KO's surprising early btw).

Zelda doesn't gain too much from pivots aside from an easy way to now pivot-crouch with bidou and maybe down smash at the ledge, her options out of grabs at low and mid percentages are even stronger thanks to recent buffs so having another tool in neutral to get you there is a plus. I still need a lot more time with it to tell if that's all she gains, I feel I've yet to make full use of it so far.

I want to play around with platforms (unsure if it affects shield dropping) and see if ledge dashing is possible with Bidou next.

Last edited:

SanAntonioSmasher

Smash Apprentice
So I've been playing with Bidou on Zelda for a couple days now, and I've gotten to a fairly comfortable spot with it. I've already been using C-stick specials to mix up my ledge options with walk off reverse dins fire back to the stage, so having to just change one shoulder buttons wasn't a big deal to me. The 2 biggest benefits to Bidou I've seen so far have been Retreating/Approaching D-tilts to set up grabs and the ability to ledge dash attack (which KO's surprising early btw).

Zelda doesn't gain too much from pivots aside from an easy way to now pivot-crouch with bidou and maybe down smash at the ledge, her options out of grabs at low and mid percentages are even stronger thanks to recent buffs so having another tool in neutral to get you there is a plus. I still need a lot more time with it to tell if that's all she gains, I feel I've yet to make full use of it so far.

I want to play around with platforms (unsure if it affects shield dropping) and see if ledge dashing is possible with Bidou next.
Can you explain the walk off reverse dins fire execution?

MoS03

Smash Rookie
My guess is you can run slightly off, and then Din's fire off the stage while fluttering back and landing mid fire. I've actually been doing something similar lately onstage, where I jump-cancel the din's, and it lets me slide with it. I do it mid-stage and use the shorter fires with it, and it can lead me into dash grabs, PP into Ftilt, and other things. If they shield or spot dodge the fire you're ****ing dog food though, so gotta be pretty sure the fire will surprise them. To that effect, doing it out of a fox-trot cancel is money.

SanAntonioSmasher

Smash Apprentice
How are you guys managing holding down special? I've been working on just having it always held. When I need to use a special move, I release button then click and hold again. Only thing is it is slowing down my ability to use specials fast, but it just might be because I've just started using this?

Kealmir

Smash Cadet
use the c-stick for specials, walk off the stage and hold the stick in that direction, then c-stick immediately in the opposite direction. This will cause you to Reverse/Wavebounce Dins Fire back onto the stage.

Try it onstage until you understand, the inputs are a lot easier then you think.

This doesn't require Bidou to be active to use, just a minor benefit to having c-stick specials

Last edited:

KlicKlac

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KlicKlac
use the c-stick for specials, walk off the stage and hold the stick in that direction, then c-stick immediately in the opposite direction. This will cause you to Reverse/Wavebounce Dins Fire back onto the stage.

Try it onstage until you understand, the inputs are a lot easier then you think.

This doesn't require Bidou to be active to use, just a minor benefit to having c-stick specials
Not just din's fire, but it's super useful for the phantom knight too. You can do all sorts of mid air momentum changing shenanigans.

Top Bottom