• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you think Smash Ultimate should be the final Smash game?

Should Smash Ultimate Be The Final Smash Game?

• Yes

Votes: 25 26.0%
  • No

Votes: 71 74.0%

• Total voters

Alsyght

Smash Journeyman
It’s a big ass money maker. It’s like if Game Freak decidedly to cut Pokémon

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Whether or not the series will continue after this and somehow manage to keep the balance of additions and mechanical refinements, I simply want to see Sakurai retire, chiefly. Doing the entire series so far has been a strenuous effort on his part, and he deserves a nice, long retirement, with a hand-picked successor that should be trustworthy enough to guide.

I honestly doubt that I'll be entirely satisfied with the final character picks yet (especially regarding the uncertainty over ballot picks and AT controversies), but I can see it going for a few more generations.

SSB X Capcom where the focus is Capcom characters VS established Nintendo smash characters
Oshinori of Capcom did want to see this happen, incidentally (albeit wanting to ask Sakurai about it).

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
honestly, i never expected smash bros would go as far as it has.

i always expected each game to be the last one... especially after hearing how stressful the games were for sakurai to create.

i would be VERY shocked if this weren't the last one, cause of how massive it is.

i have no problem with sakurai stepping away from SSB for a long while, or even just ending it here, i imagine it'd be much better for his health, if nothing else.

is sakurai really being forced to do these games, though?

i mean, if he really wanted to stop, or atleast take a break, you'd think he would... i'd certainly encourage him to do so, there must be other things he'd like to do before touching another smash game any time soon.

who knows... at worst, if people are worried about smash ending... i'd imagine sakurai would just step away and let someone else take over, and he'd probably just serve as a consultant or something.

after all, as others have said... this is a VERY successful franchise, i can't imagine nintendo wanting to stop it... but sakurai at the very least should be able to step away from it and assign someone else to take over for him.

Last edited:

LunchmanJ

Smash Journeyman
We can get Ridley, Snake, Inkling, Daisy, Waluigi, Impa, King K. Rool, Bandana Dee, Dixie Kong, Celica, Rex, Isaac, and Rayman, but no more. Hell, the Animal Friends (Rick, Kine, and Coo) are playable in three games, are fan favorites, are relevant, and have many cameos. They are my personal pick.

Reboot? Boring. I guess a port with a Melee mode that takes from Melee and 64 to create a better competitive experience.

AIM0001

Smash Lord
Should this be the last Smash? No way. Super Smash Bros. is now a permanent franchise for Nintendo like Mario, Zelda, Mario Kart etc. That being said, this is definitely Sakurai’s final bow. Which I think is a good thing. He’s leaving with a bang. 70 some characters (I’m assuming), over 80 stages, and final tweaks and features he always wanted to put in past Smash titles. Sakurai is closing the door which is very fitting seeing how 2019 would make it the 20th anniversary of Smash.

We know 5-6 years from Smash Ultimate’s release Smash will get rebooted. We will have a new director with fresh ideas and different opinions on roster and series representation. There’s so much you can do to push the series forward. No more having so many characters who are protected and have to be in every Smash. No more carrying every stage to the next Smash title. Give me a reboot with some new controls (like an additional attack button), 100% brand new move sets for characters like Mario, Link etc., fleshed out story modes, and customization, New soundtracks, smaller rosters to assure more play style depth for each character. We’ve all seen fighting game franchises like Mortal Kombat evolve. Smash’s time will come. A reboot is something I look very much forward to. But for now, it’s all about us celebrating Sakurai’s Smash for years to come. I can’t wait until Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I kinda expect Smash to branch out into different sub-franchises in a way. Maybe Nintendo themselves will make a new sort of fighting game? It could very well be the last Smash, but it'd be a silly move in the financial department. Then again, a new director could mean social suicide for the franchise, especially after this game. Sakurai is gonna give his all for this supposedly "final" project, and he has amazing timing seeing as he can still easily port data over from Smash Wii U. If there's gonna be a next Smash ever, expect it to be mostly a port of this one with some added content.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
It should be Sakurai's last smash game, in my opinion. I'd much rather have him push the future game devs in the right direction, kinda give his input, instead of just leaving all together, but his last smash game as a dev? I'd say yes.

Besides, Smash makes Nintendo alot of money. It'd be weird to cut it off now.

Hidan

Smash Apprentice
I think by this point if another Super Smash Bros. game is released, it should be rebooted and present the protagonist and antagonist of each series from the get-go, rather than progressively adding villains and supporting characters like the series did once SSBM came around. You would have the following characters.

1. Mario and Bowser
  2. Donkey Kong and King K. Rool
  3. Link and Ganondorf
  4. Samus and Ridley
  5. Captain Falcon and Samurai Goroh or Black Shadow
  6. Fox and Wolf
  7. Kirby and King Dedede
  8. Ness and Giygas or Porky
  9. Pikachu or Pokémon Trainer and Mewtwo
  10. Marth and Medeus
  11. Pit and Medusa or Hades
  12. Inkling and DJ Octavio(?)

That would be 24 characters. Sure, more characters could be made, but with a starter list, you could swap out certain characters for others.
I wouldn't doubt that Nintendo would lean towards doing something like this, but they would really have to market this Smash Bros hard as a "Good vs Evil" mashup, and "the greatest heroes take on their greatest nemesis", to really try and shift the focus from past game inclusions. I tried making a mock-roster based on your picks, and I still found it hard to leave behind some iconic characters (like Luigi, Peach, Yoshi, Diddy, Zelda, etc.), so my roster lands at a bit higher than yours at 33.

With revamped move-sets for all the characters (presumably a new fighting game style), and essentially (as of now), seven brand new faces to the series, it'd be quite the challenge to bring together. Regardless, I think this is definitely the hopeful/wishful thinking sort of roster for a revamp scenario. I could see cutting out the middle characters to make it two per series (even though that would pain me to do for LoZ, since I think it's perfect to have those three playable), but I strongly think Yoshi should still get representation, which is why I decided to include him (and Baby Bowser).

In terms of Pokemon Trainer, I figure he can work basically as he does now but instead, have starter pokemon from three different generations. For example, he could have Froakie as his first pokemon, Grovyle as his second, and Infernape as his final pokemon. Something like that to represent different eras of pokemon while still using recognizeable (starters) faces.

Last edited:

PF9

Smash Lord
If anything it will be Sakurai's last. I really have a feeling this game is his swan song, and he'll supplement it with lots of DLC over the next few years. Whoever he hands the franchise off to, I'm sure it's in good hands.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I imagine they'll have one Smash per new system forever. Unless when Sakurai stops being on board the quality drops and it stops selling so much after a while.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
I'm guessing there won't be another one for at least a decade - if Nintendo's 10-year life plan for the Switch comes to fruition. There'll be some DLC over the years, but really, the base roster will probably be over 70 characters, and everyone ever is back.

I think it's definitely Sakurai's last and unless they want the cast to be over 100 in Smash 7 or whatever, it needs to be revamped in the future. Or just continuously ported with slight changes (some character additions, modes, refinement, etc.)

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
I say porting it will be the best move for the future, you get to keep all stages,characters ect

UltimateWario

Smash Master
As many others are saying, I think Smash as we know it is coming to an end, but the brand certainly isn't. I'm more than okay with that. I'd like to see Nintendo's take on a traditional fighter, and how they could make that genre more welcoming of the casual gamer that Smash Bros. appeals so heavily to.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I'd rather it not but it seems like it might be, at least for Sakurai, given they are bringing back all the characters and possibly stages, and even the title of the game being "Ultimate". It would be a nice end to the series, but I don't want it to be lol.

Tollhouse

Smash Journeyman
be hard to get interested in a reboot when it would have less content then the last game
Exactly.

If there are more smash games to come, I can't imagine them living up to Ultimate. Even if the smash of next gen's gameplay is better than Ultimate's (which let's say Ultimate's gameplay turns out to already be really solid) It's not worth it to me to play a game smaller in content when I have Ultimate that's got over 70 characters and more stages than I know what to do with.

I can see the appeal in a new smash with less characters because it would promote better balancing. But... less content means less to explore. There's less chemistry and less possibilities. It would feel like a downgrade because it doesn't have half the things Ultimate has to offer. And the lack of content compared to its prodecessor will feel so obvious since we've become so accustomed to playing with a huge roster since brawl.

Last edited:

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
Exactly.

If there are more smash games to come, I can't imagine them living up to Ultimate. Even if the smash of next gen's gameplay is better than Ultimate's (which let's say Ultimate's gameplay turns out to already be really solid) It's not worth it to me to play a game smaller in content when I have Ultimate that's got over 70 characters and more stages than I know what to do with.

I can see the appeal in a new smash with less characters because it would promote better balancing. But... less content means less to explore. There's less chemistry and less possibilities. It would feel like a downgrade because it doesn't have half the things Ultimate has to offer. And the lack of content compared to its prodecessor will feel so obvious since we've become so accustomed to playing with a huge roster since brawl.
Meh, you may only see less content character wise, but with them axing 2/3 of the roster; they could spend a LOOOOOOOOT more time on a story mode; revamping character movesets, really pumping up the models, and going in a differect direction than traditional smash. bros which Sakurai was considering for Smash 5.

soviet prince

Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
tbh I could care less about a story mode, I would sacrifice it for 3-4 more characters easy

Next Door Dog

Smash Apprentice
If the next game was a reboot, I don't think the roster would be as small as a third of Ultimate's roster. I think Sakurai gave that figure because of the tight time frame given for development. The roster would probably still be smaller, but not as severe as that with a longer amount of time to work on it. But there's no telling what one would have in mind for rebooting the smash bros series.

I do think this will be Sakurai's last game though. But I've thought the same thing after Brawl and 4. I hope he can work on whatever project he wants after this game. If it happens to be another smash game, it'd be interesting to see how he continued the series. In any case, Nintendo will probably make another game regardless of the director.

If the reboot does happen, I hope it's different enough to warrant a different title (even if it's something similar like "Ultra Smash Bros." or whatever). But that's most like several years down the line anyway.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I would hope that this one gets a looooong time to shine though.

64 released in ‘99, but was obsolete with Melee in ‘01. That’s not much time in the spotlight. Melee’s still alive due to the competitive scene, but Brawl released in ‘08, which definitely gave Melee a while to be the game. Brawl was alive through ‘14, and now Sm4sh is getting cut short just four years later.

It’s nice that this is releasing early in the Switch’s lifetime since that’ll give it longevity. I also hope that an extended time in the limelight will give us plenty of DLC as well.

King9999

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mmking9999
3DS FC
2105-8754-7747
Switch FC
2722-8799-3295
Smash 5 feels like it's the last game. It's called "Ultimate," which suggests this is the best we're going to get. Every character from the series is returning, plus a handful of new characters. Where do we go from here after this game, except to maybe reboot the series?

If it's not the final game, then it could be Sakurai's last Smash game, and he'll move on to something else.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I wouldn't doubt that Nintendo would lean towards doing something like this, but they would really have to market this Smash Bros hard as a "Good vs Evil" mashup, and "the greatest heroes take on their greatest nemesis", to really try and shift the focus from past game inclusions. I tried making a mock-roster based on your picks, and I still found it hard to leave behind some iconic characters (like Luigi, Peach, Yoshi, Diddy, Zelda, etc.), so my roster lands at a bit higher than yours at 33.

With revamped move-sets for all the characters (presumably a new fighting game style), and essentially (as of now), seven brand new faces to the series, it'd be quite the challenge to bring together. Regardless, I think this is definitely the hopeful/wishful thinking sort of roster for a revamp scenario. I could see cutting out the middle characters to make it two per series (even though that would pain me to do for LoZ, since I think it's perfect to have those three playable), but I strongly think Yoshi should still get representation, which is why I decided to include him (and Baby Bowser).

In terms of Pokemon Trainer, I figure he can work basically as he does now but instead, have starter pokemon from three different generations. For example, he could have Froakie as his first pokemon, Grovyle as his second, and Infernape as his final pokemon. Something like that to represent different eras of pokemon while still using recognizeable (starters) faces.
Nice roster design. Even 33 characters isn't bad, and new characters could be introduced and replaced by different characters. It just doesn't seem sensible to continue making the roster larger. Other fighting games end up dropping certain characters to introduce others, so I don't see why Super Smash Bros. couldn't or shouldn't do the same. I'd suspect the iconic characters would remain to represent their series. I could also see Pokémon Trainer still acting as three extra characters, so that would technically make 26 characters.

Smash 5 feels like it's the last game. It's called "Ultimate," which suggests this is the best we're going to get. Every character from the series is returning, plus a handful of new characters. Where do we go from here after this game, except to maybe reboot the series?

If it's not the final game, then it could be Sakurai's last Smash game, and he'll move on to something else.
In Japan, it's Super Smash Bros. Special, so "ultimate" may not mean anything here.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
There's a new Famitsu article.

Masahiro Sakurai said:
Still, it’s Nintendo that decides whether a new Smash Bros. game will be made or not. When I get that request, it’s my job to make that my top priority without thinking too much about other things. As it stands, I have a ludicrous amount of directing to do – my work is incredibly extensive, and I don’t think that’ll change any time soon! At the very least, it isn’t unreasonable to say that there won’t be another Smash Bros. for awhile after this one is finished.
This isn't the only instance in the article where he implies that there are going to be future titles, or at least that this is not planned to be the last one.

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
I think SSB needs to be put to rest for a while after this. I'd say even longer than the Melee-Brawl gap of 7ish 8ish years. 10-15 years.

Ultimate will get as much dlc as they can squeeze into it I'm sure.

soviet prince

Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
I think SSB needs to be put to rest for a while after this. I'd say even longer than the Melee-Brawl gap of 7ish 8ish years. 10-15 years.

Ultimate will get as much dlc as they can squeeze into it I'm sure.
I am getting old, 10-15 is a long time

UserKev

Smash Champion
I really don't want it to be, but it'd totally make sense on Sakurai's health standpoint. If Smash is to be passed over, I trust Shigeru Miyamoto.

EpicElliot

Smash Apprentice
I don't trust Miyamoto we would end up with a worse brawl in terms of game machanics & look at what miyamoto did to paper mario & the like

Top Bottom