• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - E3 Invitational 2014 Do you think Sakurai planned for the 4 icons long ago?

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
Warning Received
As we all know, Mario, Mega Man, Sonic, and Pac Man are all playable in the same game.

From many of his past actions, this leads me to believe he secretly planned it all along.

As we all know, Sega and Nintendo are currently close. Sonic's iteration in Smash was pretty much a guarantee. Some of you may know that along with Sonic, Mega Man was nother very popular character on our Smash wishlist. This did not come to fruition, but with the game we're waiting for now, Mega Man has been included.

This part of the argument may be a little more farfetched since it was all based on luck that CAPCOM allowed it anyway(I heard they asked?). With that, the part of getting Mega Man even in was easy peasy.

The biggest part of it all, and most obvious one, is the fact that Sakurai has Namco Bandai reps at his disposal. Most likely because they tend to have little affiliation with anything Smash Bros. It completes the circle and instead of Sakurai himself asking for Pac Man to get in, The devs working for him would instead ask HIM if they can have Pac Man in the game. He literally could've asked many more different companies to help with the development of the game, but he chose possibly the best one... and put up their Tekken/Soul Calibur affiliation up as a front.

Lastly, at the roundtable, he confirmed with a very deserved proud manner that this is the only game where 4 iconic giants have ever showed up in any fighting game. This last statement concretes my speculation that he planned this for a very long time.

Ahh, Sakurai.

I could be wrong of course, but I do love some speculation. Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:

Reader

Smash Apprentice
I find it hard to believe that the four greatest gaming icons appearing in the same fighting game is a coincidence.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Sonic (and Snake) was actually intended for Melee, but was cut due to time constraints.

As for the rest of it, I don't think this is some 15 year master plan or anything. I think Mega Man and Pac-Man were only decided upon for Smash 4's development.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
If he planned on having these 4 bash it together since the beginning he'd likely have made more of an effort to do so in Brawl. He only added Sonic because of fan requests, he wasn't initially planned to be in, and he never approached Capcom for Mega Man despite Capcom stating they'd love for it to happen.

Tube of Jokes

Smash Rookie
Sakurai stated that all the characters where chosen really early in development. Like they started to implement Greninja long before XY was released.
So i would imagine he secretly planned everything long, long ago ;)

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
My guess is he thought "Ok, let's contact Capcom about Mega Man. Hey, at that rate, let's just add Pac-Man as well."

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
Was this offensive statement really necessary?
If you find gay love offensive, you can get out.:happysheep:

I don't know, really. I don't think it is a coincidence but he did once say in the past he'd never really given much thought outside of Nintendo inclusions.

Jumpman84

Smash Lord
NNID
Jumpman84
3DS FC
3695-0041-5877
If you find gay love offensive, you can get out.:happysheep:
I don't find gay love offensive. I find hateful comments offensive.

It's only offensive if you think I hate gays.
I find the comment insulting for more than the word gay, but you can get the same message across by saying "As we all know, Sega and Nintendo are currently lovers finding a place of acceptance.", which is still insulting and offensive. Adding gay in there is completely unnecessary.

Khao

Smash Lord
I'm not gonna bother searching for it, but I can remember an old interview last year where Sakurai was like "Hey, which character would you like to see?"

And then the interviewers agreed that they'd love to see Pac-Man.

And Sakurai was all like "Interesting..."

I bet he was laughing inside in a total "Pwahaha, you have no idea!" way. =P

Last edited:

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856

I find the comment insulting for more than the word gay, but you can get the same message across by saying "As we all know, Sega and Nintendo are currently lovers finding a place of acceptance.", which is still insulting and offensive. Adding gay in there is completely unnecessary.
If you find it offensive, and I don't know how you can ever find it offensive, then that's your own problem to sort out.

@ Khao Khao : I would love to see the interview of that.

There was another interview where Namco talked about Lloyd Irving(my avatar) being asked for by them in Smash. I wonder if Namco might get 2 reps(which I'm hoping for, probably setting myself up for disappointment).

MechaWave

Smash Champion

Chill out. I'm gay and I thought it was funny. It's just a word.

Miffa

The Money Man
NNID
DeanMiffa
I'm not gonna bother searching for it, but I can remember an old interview last year where Sakurai was like "Hey, which character would you like to see?"

And then the interviewers agreed that they'd love to see Pac-Man.

And Sakurai was all like "Interesting..."

I bet he was laughing inside in a total "Pwahaha, you have no idea!" way. =P
I believe that was an IGN interview i believe the guy who did now works at Nintendo.

Peterawr

Smash Cadet
Sakurai knew there needed to be hype for this game.
This is one of those games that WILL sell the Wii U, so nintendo is sort of banking on him to get that hype going.
Having all of these notable, famous characters in one game? Perfect decision.

Either having ridiculously famous characters is going to drive hype (pac-man, mega-man), or having totally off-the-wall characters will drive hype (Wii Fit Trainer, Villager).

(On a total side note, I'm gay and I found the first comment hilarious. Not offensive in any way, to me. Though I do appreciate those of you who wanted to defend a group which you may not belong to.)

Last edited:

NoiseHERO

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NoiseHERO
3DS FC
4038-7106-6271
if they really loved each other then sonic wouldn't have sucked in browl, nintendo's clearly just leading sega on, and now he's in bed with namco.

Last edited:

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
if they really loved each other then sonic wouldn't have sucked in browl, nintendo's clearly just leading sega on, and now he's in bed with namco.
According to the Subspace Emissary, Sonic is a God.

NoiseHERO

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NoiseHERO
3DS FC
4038-7106-6271
Sonic pretty much saved EVERYONE'S *** at the end of the SSE though, is that sucking in Brawl?
Yeah, they piccolo'd him like a chump. Whatever happened to SEGA DOES WHAT NINTENDON'T. Then all he did was spin attack some random plot device bald dude in the back of the head.

What are we even talking about.

SonicMario

Smash Master
Besides SSE though. Sonic was pretty rushed into Brawl. There wasn't alot of time to properly balance him before release since he was pretty last minute. And although he was far from the best fighter in the game. He wasn't the worst either. Smash 4, which has Sonic basically planned in from the beginning. Looks to give much more time to make Sonic a much more capable fighter in this game.

NoiseHERO

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NoiseHERO
3DS FC
4038-7106-6271
Besides SSE though. Sonic was pretty rushed into Brawl. There wasn't alot of time to properly balance him before release since he was pretty last minute. And although he was far from the best fighter in the game. He wasn't the worst either. Smash 4, which has Sonic basically planned in from the beginning. Looks to give much more time to make Sonic a much more capable fighter in this game.
Yeah I'm definitely looking forward to positive improvements with sonic, I've already heard he can at least kill people now.

Actually I'd be struggling to decide whether or not to main him or megaman, if he gets a "classic" sonic outfit. <_>

Top Bottom