• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you think Project: M will ever be at EVO?

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
I saw this recently. It got me thinking about whether should I donate to either Brawl or Melee. I picked Melee because in the end, it is more skillful than Brawl. However, while I was thinking, I wished that Project: M was on the list because I would donate to it in a heart beat. Do you think Project: M will ever be at EVO and do you think it deserves it. :)

fatman667

Smash Journeyman
I saw this recently. It got me thinking about whether should I donate to either Brawl or Melee. I picked Melee because in the end, it is more skillful than Brawl. However, while I was thinking, I wished that Project: M was on the list because I would donate to it in a heart beat. Do you think Project: M will ever be at EVO and do you think it deserves it. :)
At EVO this year, no, will it ever, there is a chance. We could be a side tourney though, but I could be wrong. Once it's complete then we can consider trying to get it to EVO.

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
Once it's at that quality (which it's getting at real fast) it's still got some complications to work out because it's a mod. It's hard to imagine Project M at Evo if it's not even allowed to be at Apex.

Stunts

Smash Journeyman
Concurred. Probably not now, but P:M version 1.0 has zero excuse not to be at Apex, let alone EVO. js

Ryan-K

Smash Master
Concurred. Probably not now, but P:M version 1.0 has zero excuse not to be at Apex, let alone EVO. js
You mean aside from the fact that hacking a game is an action worthy of a cease and desist letter and that a large organization directly getting involved with such a thing could get into trouble with the law?

Stunts

Smash Journeyman
You mean aside from the fact that hacking a game is an action worthy of a cease and desist letter and that a large organization directly getting involved with such a thing could get into trouble with the law?
You mean a non-profit mod of a game, in which you normally can't play unless purchasing the game in question? There are means of illegaly obtaining Brawl, but such ways are beyond the responsibility of PMBR, the organiztion that presents EVO or Nintendo. I don't think the team is on the fringe of breaking any laws.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Isn't it only ilegal if you break the game for your own benefit and/or sell a hacked game?

V-K

Smash Ace
Is modding really against the law? You basically change something in the software on the hardware that you bought. And Counterstrike also started as a mod.

As long as Nintendo doesn't come out and says modding is prohibited (which I don't think they have done, they just ignored it) I don't see a problem. Didn't they ignore the fact that people play Smash Bros at tournaments too?

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
I've never heard of a video game mod getting and C&D and the history of ever.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
Well, there is nothing in the end-user license agreement that stipulates that modding Bawl is in any way illegal, so one can assume that Nintendo is not likely to attack anyone on the pretense of playing a mod.

There is a distinction to be made between piracy and modding, which are two different animals. Contrary to pirates, we do not provide an illegal means to procure yourself the Brawl data, but only provide additional patch files and user-made content for free. We make no profit from the game and the few donations we received went toward either getting the game known better or improving modding equipment. Not to mention that we didn't specifically ask for donations. We don't sell the game, and will never consider doing so as we do this for both your enjoyment and our own.

We take special care in respecting Nintendo, Sega and Konami's content and not put its characters in a negative light. In fact, in balancing them, you cold say we're doing just the opposite.

Furthermore, if Nintendo was going to do something about Project M, you'd think they would have done it by now. There's just no way that they are not aware of the existence of this mod by now and you'd think they'd target us before going after tournament officials.

Nintendo Sega and Konami are also very lax with fan work. Sega encourages it, while Konami tends to leave it alone. Nintendo also only seems to step up when money is involved.

Also, we are technically helping Brawl sell. Individuals buy Brawl to play Project M, which is technically giving them revenue they would have have gotten without our help. It also reinvigorated the interest of many gamers into getting a Wii, which means increased console sales.

I want to be positive about the future of Project M, and I'm quite confident that this game deserves to be a tournament staple (it seems to be going that direction already). While I do not always agree with every opinion of every PMBR member (we are a lot of passionate people, we're bound to butt heads at some points), I can safely say that every single one of them is driven by the desire to get an exciting and varied tournament experience, and in the end, we will have made something we can be proud of. We will settle for nothing less.

Of course, to make this dream a reality, it's up to the players to lend us a hand. The power of word of mouth is strong. When I look at the stats for demo downloads, I attribute the success of this mod to several causes. One if them is the help of media outlets like IGN, Kotaku, etc... The other is help from you guys, communities like Smashboards who keep spreading the word. Please keep supporting us as you have been.

Generically Epic

Smash Ace
They'd have to finish the product BEFORE the new smash comes out. Despite the enormous amount of work involved, I don't think it's possible. It's been like what, 2-4 years? They are still far from finishing.

RomeDogg

Smash Journeyman
Man I just hope it gets more popular than Brawl and maybe Melee. Well as long as it is better than Melee. Then I hope it is included in most every smash tournament or at least the majority.

FumiQyn

Banned via Warnings
i love PM, i really hope it gets in evo. even was a side game

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Million year old thread bump?

At any rate, PM totally should be at EVO. So should Divekick. I'd way rather watch those games than like half of the things there.

Both games will be at UFGT10, which is a start.

Last edited:

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
MM me in Dr. Scholls dittos, scrub
My Shoals is crap, but I will fight your Shoals with my Markman (even though I technically retired from Divekick until Addition Edition).

Also, I feel that it is somewhat hypocritical to like Smash and not Divekick. Both games are heavily based around movement and spacing and aim to reduce the execution barriers that most traditional fighters suffer from.

Burnsy

Smash Lord
Markman is a gimmicky mess. Shoals is the one true character (fly cancelling is broken).

On topic, I hope Project M could someday be an Evo game but I think that depends on whether the game will be able to attract more interest in the long term without losing steam with the release of Smash 4

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Markman is a gimmicky mess. Shoals is the one true character (fly cancelling is broken).
Markman is actually super solid. He doesn't even really need to dig for items, his kickback kick is so good he can just play footsies with most of the cast and come out way ahead. Feint is stupid good too. His fundamentals are getting nerfed in addition edition though, so you'll have to use items now.

On topic, I hope Project M could someday be an Evo game but I think that depends on whether the game will be able to attract more interest in the long term without losing steam with the release of Smash 4
To be honest PM has somewhat reduced my hype for Smash 4, because I know that many characters are going to be way more interesting in PM than they are in Smash 4. Lucario, for example. Whee, his aura is stronger now. What PM did with him is so much better.

Last edited:

smashmachine

Smash Lord
Markman is actually super solid. He doesn't even really need to dig for items, his kickback kick is so good he can just play footsies with most of the cast and come out way ahead. Feint is stupid good too. His fundamentals are getting nerfed in addition edition though, so you'll have to use items now.

To be honest PM has somewhat reduced my hype for Smash 4, because I know that many characters are going to be way more interesting in PM than they are in Smash 4. Lucario, for example. Whee, his aura is stronger now. What PM did with him is so much better.
yeah but Project M Lucario isn't natural

/actual words from people in Smash 4 discussion

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
probably never beyond side.

Also since Smash 4 is coming out, and might actually be really good, and EVO uses the most up to date versions of most series....yeah.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
I'm not betting on it anytime soon. Either way, there are so many hype tournaments coming up that it doesn't really bother me, and the numbers will only keep going up.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
EVO uses the most up to date versions of most series....yeah.
They still do Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo despite the existence of SF4, and of course last year they did Melee instead of Brawl.

Melee is basically the main problem. They're not going to do 2 Smash games, PM would have to eclipse Melee in popularity to make it there.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
They still do Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo despite the existence of SF4, and of course last year they did Melee instead of Brawl.

Melee is basically the main problem. They're not going to do 2 Smash games, PM would have to eclipse Melee in popularity to make it there.
Yeah Project M is in an odd position.

On one end you have Melee, which performed a cinderella story last year, became the 2nd most viewed fighting game in Twitch history, and united the FGC and Smash(for real this time.)

Then you have Smash 4, the big enigma that can either become the game we need but not the one we deserve or create a true scene for a bright future for all circles of Smash(personally I kinda see the latter, sue me.)

Then we have Brawl, who is going through a moment of reflection and Self discovery and is geting support from al scenes in what looks like the game's death thros. they have the lowest chance of getting a spot(especially with the poisonous debut of EVO 2007), but they are going everthing or nothing this year, so it's still a factor.

And of curse there is the legality issues. Project M is on a very delicate balance legally of creating what is essentially a fan project with no profit involved. considering all the discussion that EVO, the most heavily advertising fighting game series there is, had to get just to get Nintendo to give an OK(and in process reveal how they kinda felt about competitive Smash all along), it would be absolute murder to get an unliscensed mod run on one of their games the approval for advertised streaming.

So yeah, that's why I think it may be stuck as a side.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
Yeah Project M is in an odd position.

On one end you have Melee, which performed a cinderella story last year, became the 2nd most viewed fighting game in Twitch history, and united the FGC and Smash(for real this time.)

Then you have Smash 4, the big enigma that can either become the game we need but not the one we deserve or create a true scene for a bright future for all circles of Smash(personally I kinda see the latter, sue me.)

Then we have Brawl, who is going through a moment of reflection and Self discovery and is geting support from al scenes in what looks like the game's death thros. they have the lowest chance of getting a spot(especially with the poisonous debut of EVO 2007), but they are going everthing or nothing this year, so it's still a factor.

And of curse there is the legality issues. Project M is on a very delicate balance legally of creating what is essentially a fan project with no profit involved. considering all the discussion that EVO, the most heavily advertising fighting game series there is, had to get just to get Nintendo to give an OK(and in process reveal how they kinda felt about competitive Smash all along), it would be absolute murder to get an unliscensed mod run on one of their games the approval for advertised streaming.

So yeah, that's why I think it may be stuck as a side.
Melee's already confirmed though ...

XXXX1000

Smash Apprentice
I would be very surprised to see PM at EVO in the future.

1. Melee has had its own hurdles to get to EVO, and that has much more support than PM. It seems that Nintendo is willing to work with the community more than in the past, but Melee is obviously a different beast than PM, because PM is a mod. Streets of Rage Remake got a C&D, that Chrono Trigger project got a C&D, and I wouldn't be surprised if PM is on the brink of it. PM is not the same as those other fan projects, but I think if Nintendo wanted to they could step in and put an end to PM. Asking for Nintendo's permission to stream a mod of their own game that was born because of how many people hated their game is a dicey situation. It could cause Nintendo to perhaps rethink their stance on it.

2. EVO is not a Smash tournament, and it's not MLG. It obviously has its roots in Capcom fighters, and PM will always be vying for spots against other games. The game lineup totally depends on what other games are big at the time. This year, EVO cut two games out of their line-up. Persona 4 (which has a new installment on the way), Skullgirls, Tekken Tag 2, Guilty Gear, BlazBlue and SCV are all strong contenders to claim a spot, as well as possibly Smash 4. Don't forget any other Capcom fighters or random, unforseeable upstart games like Divekick or Aquapazza. PM is taking off, and EVO fans did appreciate Melee, but they may not appreciate PM as much especially if it takes the place of another game they wanted to see, and the communities are still mostly separated.

3. Capcom, NetherRealm Studios, and other companies do a lot to help out EVO, and the PM developers obviously can't do that. There are game announcements, developer panels, all kinds of things going on at EVO, and PM isn't developed by a studio at all. If other studios are offering EVO other types of financial support, EVO might need to take those opportunities.

I don't think PM ever has a chance at EVO, honestly.

Last edited:

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Once it's at that quality (which it's getting at real fast) it's still got some complications to work out because it's a mod. It's hard to imagine Project M at Evo if it's not even allowed to be at Apex.
what the **** are you talking about lol it was featured at apex this year with nearly 400 entrants

Top Bottom