• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you think a character being a Spirit deconfirms them as a playable fighter?

Do you think Spirits (ex. Shantae, Big Boss, Gooey, Etc.) deconfirm their Characters?

• Yes

Votes: 33 23.2%
  • No

Votes: 109 76.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I think we already have a thread like this...

D

Deleted member

I dont think it does tbh. Now if the character is an assist trophy, (Knuckles for example) than the character is deconfirmed since they created a moveset for it.

I think there is thread for this already if im not mistaken?

Last edited by a moderator:

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
If spirits deconfirmed characters EVERY first party character or character from a 3rd party series currently represented in Smash before the year 2019 can't possibly make it as DLC.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Nope

They still got arts of current fighters on the roster like K Rool so no

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
No. Playable characters also have Spirit variations of themselves, such as Meta Ridley, and one of King K. Rool's alter egos.

Dan

Smash Lord
There are no rules; Piranha Plant is a character, and Chrom is still Robin's Final Smash. That's honestly how it should be.

Bolshoi

Smash Journeyman
Daisy's Spirit is shown was shown in the coin shop during the Direct, so that's a no.

maxistrife

Smash Apprentice
Not really. I think spirits being patched out might upset people as opposed to assist trophies, but I think they can easily remove them and make them a playable character. Or really, a spirit has such a tiny role that I could see a character having both a spirit and playable character form.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I just realized something after playing around with Spirit concepts. Apparently, Fighter Spirits can't be used at all, period, so if a character is made into a Primary Spirit or Support Spirit, he/she truly is out of the running for a playable promotion, unless DLC fighters don't follow the same rules as the base game fighters.

Dan

Smash Lord
As if the plant wasn't enough, I've thrown all assumptions out the window after hearing Chrom is still Robin's FS.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Unless we get an official confirmation that they do at some point, I refuse to believe they do.

Spirits do provide statistic benefits to fighters yeah, but at the end of the day all they are otherwise are simple still images, often pieces of official artwork. I really don't see why something like that would prevent other characters from joining the fray in the future. Even if there are some potential issues with that happening right now, the rules should be bendable in this instance, imo. Make some exceptions. Let characters who are already present as Spirits get a chance to join the game in playable form somewhere later down the line.

Mingy Jongo

Smash Rookie
Out of over 500 spirits cataloged so far, not a single one (other than Daisy, who is also the only one so far specially classified as a "Fighter Spirit" that cannot be equipped) is a non-differently-named-variant (ie. Tree, Kaptain K. Rool, Meta Ridley) of a playable character: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1SNmnZRMx0OWq6sX62QHBCmpYsGTXMGT-BqvJunoCRkM/edit#gid=0

Unless they have gone out of their way to not show any playable characters on purpose, it doesn't seem likely to me that any of the DLC fighters (who have already been selected) would also be a spirit as well. I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Last edited:

Dan

Smash Lord
Ugh, I guess Dixie has been decimated.

To the Geno thing: "never assume", but it is really not looking good for him, imo.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Reminder that Mewtwo had a regular trophy in Smash 3DS at launch, as well as a Fighter Trophy after they released his DLC. I see no reasons why they couldn't do the same thing with spirits.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
Out of over 500 spirits cataloged so far, not a single one (other than Daisy, who is also the only one so far specially classified as a "Fighter Spirit" that cannot be equipped) is a non-differently-named-variant (ie. Tree, Kaptain K. Rool, Meta Ridley) of a playable character: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1SNmnZRMx0OWq6sX62QHBCmpYsGTXMGT-BqvJunoCRkM/edit#gid=0

Unless they have gone out of their way to not show any playable characters on purpose, it doesn't seem likely to me that any of the DLC fighters (who have already been selected) would also be a spirit as well. I wouldn't get your hopes up.
kap k rool is still king k rool

Terradrius

Smash Apprentice

Reminder that Mewtwo had a regular trophy in Smash 3DS at launch, as well as a Fighter Trophy after they released his DLC. I see no reasons why they couldn't do the same thing with spirits.
That's the main reason why that argument doesn't hold up for me. If a character has a spirit already, then they're in almost exactly the same situation as Mewtwo (and Lucas) were in in Smash 4, and those two still got in as DLC. I see no reason the situation here is fundamentally different, so I see spirits as still eligible for DLC.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I just realized something after playing around with Spirit concepts. Apparently, Fighter Spirits can't be used at all, period, so if a character is made into a Primary Spirit or Support Spirit, he/she truly is out of the running for a playable promotion, unless DLC fighters don't follow the same rules as the base game fighters.
All you'd have to do is use a different piece of art to differentiate the primary and fighter spirit of a given character, that doesn't seem complicated at all.

Mingy Jongo

Smash Rookie
"kap k rool is still king k rool"
Did you miss the "differently-named variant" part of my post? You'd think that out of the literally hundreds of equippable spirits we would have seen at least one that's literally just a plain fighter. The fact that the only thing even close to fighters seen have been named-variants seems really suspect.

Two counter-arguments about trophies:
1: The DLC characters have *already* been chosen, and therefore the game has probably been designed with them in mind.
2: Sakurai specifically says in the November direct video that spirits are "a way to enjoy characters other than fighters".

It only takes one example to prove this theory wrong, and we'll know next month. If the pattern holds, I really doubt existing spirits will be made fighters.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I'm saying no. Spirits are very low effort, as they are just images taken from other games. They are also the replacement for trophies, and Lucas and Mewtwo made it as DLC despite being trophies in the base game.

COOKRE

Smash Cadet
I'd say no too. Wasn't the trailer's reasoning for why so many fighters are "spirits" that the light thing killed them all? Which included actual playable fighters too!

DatsKip

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0405-1335-6530
Switch FC
SW-3850-9738-5688
I don't really have much of a subjective standpoint on it, but it'd really throw us all for a loop if a spirit transitioned to a playable character, and i'd be completely down with it.

COOKRE

Smash Cadet
I don't really have much of a subjective standpoint on it, but it'd really throw us all for a loop if a spirit transitioned to a playable character, and i'd be completely down with it.
that's a sick idea. Imagine they announce one of the DLC characters as "previously a spirit". Speculations would go rampant

DatsKip

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0405-1335-6530
Switch FC
SW-3850-9738-5688
Sounds like something Sakurai would do lol

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Yes, only because although there are some characters who clearly will never be anything more than a spirit; this is Sakurai's way of recognizing as many video game characters as possible without making them fighters/assists.

But only some of them.

SOME OF THEM.

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
I feel like you can make an argument when talking about certain spirits that are alternate costumes that are unplayable for certain fighter but i feel that this spotted spirit for default daisy is all the proof we need that spirits are not a fighter deconfirmation.

Last edited:

Mingy Jongo

Smash Rookie
I feel like you can make an argument when talking about certain spirits that are alternate costumes that are unplayable for certain fighter but i feel that this spotted spirit for default daisy is all the proof we need that spirits are not a fighter deconfirmation.

Note that that is a special type of spirit, a "Fighter Spirit", that cannot be equipped. Presumably, every character has one or more that can be acquired by clearing Classic mode or challenges. I challenge anyone to find a single equippable spirit that has the same name as a playable character. Out of over 500, there isn't a single one spotted so far. On the other hand, it appears that some "fighter spirits" can be alternate skins of playable characters, such as Meta Ridley.

In other words, when referring to "spirits" in the most general terms, sure, there are playable characters that also exist in spirits. But that's not what we are really talking about, is it? We are wondering if the *equippable* spirits, those that Sakurai himself stated were "a way to enjoy characters other than fighters," can possibly be DLC fighters. It is tempting to compare this to trophies, but it is very clear that the concept and implementation of them, as ways those characters can "aid" fighters, is much different. Add in the fact that the DLC characters have already been decided on and I think that given the data we currently have, I would be very, very surprised if any equippable spirits materialize as playable characters.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Note that that is a special type of spirit, a "Fighter Spirit", that cannot be equipped. Presumably, every character has one or more that can be acquired by clearing Classic mode or challenges. I challenge anyone to find a single equippable spirit that has the same name as a playable character. Out of over 500, there isn't a single one spotted so far. On the other hand, it appears that some "fighter spirits" can be alternate skins of playable characters, such as Meta Ridley.

In other words, when referring to "spirits" in the most general terms, sure, there are playable characters that also exist in spirits. But that's not what we are really talking about, is it? We are wondering if the *equippable* spirits, those that Sakurai himself stated were "a way to enjoy characters other than fighters," can possibly be DLC fighters. It is tempting to compare this to trophies, but it is very clear that the concept and implementation of them, as ways those characters can "aid" fighters, is much different. Add in the fact that the DLC characters have already been decided on and I think that given the data we currently have, I would be very, very surprised if any equippable spirits materialize as playable characters.
Given that you can have duplicates of any given spirit, it's not a stretch for a character to have both a fighter spirit and an equippable one. They're all just trophies at the end of the day, and they're clearly not one-of-a-kind.

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium

I did not notice that, with that being said it would make more since that non-fighter spirits may not be dlc, still kind of on the fence about it but i guess we will have to wait and see, thanks for adding this important detail though.

Jexulus

Omnivore of the Year
NNID
Jexulus
3DS FC
3883-5870-2795
Incoming copypasta.

Super Sonic, Robobot Kirby, and others say hi. Being a playable character does not disqualify someone from having equip-able spirits based on them. Even taking into account that these are variants, they're still based on the fighters. Smash 4 also featured trophies based on Mewtwo and Lucas, which did not discount them from the DLC treatment. These are things developed concurrently, and DLC is evaluated later in the game's development. By the same token, we've seen a very, very small portion of the Spirits that will be available, so the fact that certain characters have not appeared yet is not evidence of anything.

In other words, using Spirits as an indicator for anything DLC-wise is moot, barring an official source outright stating otherwise.

Mingy Jongo, you do make a good point about Primary/Support Spirits sharing their name exactly with a character (A Sonic spirit named "Sonic" using artwork of his normal form as opposed to Super Sonic), but I'm not sure that's a death knell in either direction. We don't have any evidence that you're right any more that I'm right, or anyone else for that matter.

BioZelink

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Biozelink
3DS FC
4811-7130-3977
Not really. There are spirits of the playable characters we have right now, so obviously not.

Xigger

Smash Lord
Smash 4: Mewtwo and Lucas trophy. Mewtwo and Lucas DLC.
Ultimate: Spirits instead of trophies.

The logic is pretty simple.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
What do people think we're going to get for beating Classic Mode with a character? A Trophy?

We'll likely get a main render Spirit for each character. So no, spirits don't de-confirm characters.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Normally no - I think anyone should be possible...

...but with the news that the DLC characters were planned early - as in, they already know who’s gonna be in and the game’s a month out - it seems like they’d have taken the spirit out before the game went gold.

Now if there’s a season 2 inbound, or even if we get random echoes dropped, then I think they’re back on the table. But for this DLC pack, nope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom