• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you speedrun?

KirinKQP

Smash Journeyman
On the side of playing SSBM and studying for school, I time to time attempt a speedrun (or a speedwalk that is un-timed) for Dark Souls 2 and it is actually fun.

Aside from that, do you speedrun any video games or at least complete really quickly for the sake of it?

Last edited:

Jaruto

Smash Cadet
NNID
JarutoATD
I speedrun Cave Story Best Ending %. Cave story is probably in my top 3 favorite games ever, and i adore it. No matter how many times i beat that game I still want to play it over and over again, so this gives me an opportunity to do that

I time to time attempt a speedrun (or a speedwalk that is un-timed) for Dark Souls 2 and it is actually fun.
DS2 has got to be a really difficult run to learn, how long have you put time into running it? And what's your PB?

KirinKQP

Smash Journeyman
I learned to speedrun the game by just playing casually through many, many NGs. Over time I know attack timings, parry frame data and roll frame data which at times is used in a run. There are managing stats, what you buy, what items like estus shards, titanite shard and chunks, etc. I have two characters that have over 999:59:59 time, mostly from PvP and just going through multiple NGs just to get a crap ton of titanite slabs for weapons I want to try in PvP.

Dark Souls, in essence, isn't difficult. The learning curve and finding the trolls and routes is the tough part, and the lag from playing online is just something you have to get used to. Similar to Melee, where over time you learn what to do, what not to do and how to punish based on the character they use. In Dark Souls, the character is pretty much the weapon the other person is using. To brag, I can guess what weapon you're holding that is invisible just by your character's hand position.

My PB as I timed with my phone ever was 2:30:43** RTA, but since I have no gameplay footage of the run there is no true proof of it existing.

EDIT: Time was wrong, that would beat WW and is pretty impossible

Last edited:

ryuu seika

Smash Master
I do a no escape run of Lost Kingdoms sometimes when I need an hour and a half of relaxation.
It's a short RPG but a first time, no sidequests playthrough still takes 10-20 hours so I'd consider that an accomplishment.

Calaquinn

Smash Rookie
I speedrun Shovel Knight Specter of Torment Any %. It's actually very self-explanatory and you only need one or two items to get through most rooms. The Rail Mail adds an interesting spin on getting through rooms requiring you to be more precise and careful on when you jump and when you slash. The fact you can go to any stage at any time means there literally thousands of ways to play the same game! I'm at about 53 minutes something right now which is 4 minutes off of Munchakoopa's 45 something.

On the other hand, I have also speedrun the classic Shovel Knight, which I don't like, and Plague Knight, which felt kinda cheesy... I have attempted a Pokemon speedrun but found that I wasn't having "fun"? RPG's aren't as enjoyable for me so kudos to you for playing Dark Souls 2 like you can.

Jaruto

Smash Cadet
NNID
JarutoATD
I speedrun Shovel Knight Specter of Torment Any %.
That looks like such a fun game to run, and it looks like the WR isn't that hard to push down from other runners due to the different strats and risky things in that game from specters movement,

Calaquinn

Smash Rookie
That looks like such a fun game to run, and it looks like the WR isn't that hard to push down from other runners due to the different strats and risky things in that game from specters movement,
It is. For example, the first two stages, The Flying Fortress and The Lich Yard are basically mandatory and I can run them almost totally frame for frame Munchakoopa does.But Munchakoopas doesn't go for the wisp chest in the Lich Yard while I do. Done right it only adds about 50 seconds or so to my final time which I make up for later not purchasing the wisp chest from Missy. I can also use that money to go upgrade the skeletal sentry before him. He also goes Clockwork Tower after the Lich Yard while I go Explodatorium. Just a little pathing change can push times down a lot.

GlenFor

Smash Rookie
It is. For example, the first two stages, The Flying Fortress and fantastic Phallosan Forte results are basically mandatory and I can run them almost totally frame for frame Munchakoopa does.But Munchakoopas doesn't go for the wisp chest in the Lich Yard while I do. Done right it only adds about 50 seconds or so to my final time which I make up for later not purchasing the wisp chest from Missy. I can also use that money to go upgrade the skeletal sentry before him. He also goes Clockwork Tower after the Lich Yard while I go Explodatorium. Just a little pathing change can push times down a lot.
I always wanted to get into speed running but I was never particularly successful. I enjoy watching others speedrun nonetheless.

Last edited:

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
I speedrun Super Mario World. Glitchless Any%.
I am going to invent a new category, though. One that I know for sure nobody has done yet.
It's a rather absurd amount of work to do it and it basically seems impossible but like that's gonna stop me.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I typically don't do speed runs. On example includes Yoshi's Woolly World, where I actually try to 100% complete a course before continuing any further into the game.

However, there are some games where even I end up struggling to get a perfect 100% completion.

Last edited:

Desu_Maiden

Smash Cadet
No I don't speed run because many/most video games require an element of luck (due to randomness in the events and obstacles you encounter in certain situations), and this defeats the whole purpose of speed running, since a speed run should be based on pure skill-based video games (which are very hard to find). Pure skill-based games have no element of luck and randomness in them, and the only one I can think of off the top of my head is Hatsune Miku rhythm games. And there is really no point speed running a rhythm game since you must spend a set amount of time per track/song you are playing.

Besides a speed run is basically no different from a race, and in a race (like the 100 meter sprint in the Olympics), nobody expects there to be random obstacles and events to interfere with your race and how fast you can beat the world record and compete against other racers. When there are random obstacles and events in a video game (which happens to be the case with most video games ), you can't guarantee that you will always maintain the same speed at which you beat a game because random, chance-based events interfer with your performance.

For example, lets say you are fighting a boss who has a random attack pattern where he uses attack a, b, c and d, each attack at a random rate. Let's say if he keeps on using a certain attack more often than the others in a certain speed run you'll doing, and this attack takes much longer to avoid than his other attacks. Then you will forced to spend more time on your speed run (which defeats the whole purpose of speed running since you want to beat a game in the least amount of time possible).

Because of the above reasons, I don't speed run video games.

Last edited:

CursedKaiju

Smash Apprentice
I have never speed ran a game before because I get too bored playing the same game over and over again, but I respect people who speed run.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I speedrun any and all Metroid games. I'm certainly not the best, nor do I have any world record, but I know of some techniques to play through faster than anyone who isn't interested in going through the games at the same pace.

GuffMcGufferson

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-3869-7120-5996
I do speedruns of The Simpsons Hit & Run, a game I've loved for as long as I can remember. It's not a game that has many glitches or is hard to run, but getting good times can be frustrating, mostly with the RNG of traffic cars, getting consistent strats, and the coin routing. I don't run it as much as I want to since I sometimes lose motivation to do so :ohwell:

Kabutops

Smash Journeyman
I dislike it. It causes an over-familiarity with a game. I can't enjoy replaying it as much.

Top Bottom