• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you sometimes feel as if some Smash fans take Smash speculation too seriously?

D

Deleted member

So, I love Smash Bros. I think that's pretty obivious. But I've noticed that some people within the community tend to take Smash a whole seriously than I do, spescifically in character speculation. The question I have is, do you think Smash fans take Smash Bros itself too seriously sometimes?

It's perfectly fine to be hyped for Smash, but a feel as if some people let that hype go towards their head. Some people act like who does and does not get into Smash is going to determine the future of America or something. Smash first and foremost is a game. A really freaking good game, but a game nonetheless.

Personally, I don't take really care who gets into Smash, so long as they look and play interesting to me. If a character I really wants gets in, good. If they don't, well it sucks, but I'll live. People have all kinds of expectations for the roster of Ultimate. I don't. I don't go into any Smash expecting anyone specifically. And I think I'm better of because of it.

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789
Yes, and I'm guilty of this.

Sometimes it feels like the stock market practically.
(I had my money on Ridley and K. Rool)

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
Yes, the fact that it feels like a international event in itself should make note of that.

I will say speculation in itself isn't bad, to me its almost like an ARG trying to find clues. It helps break the tedium of work so coming on to break from a grueling animation helps stress relief and engages the mind in problem solving. But yes it is pointless in the end and people do take it far more serious than it should be. But even if people do, it shouldn't matter because it doesn't really effect anyone anyways (unless you choose to let it, in which case you could be considered just as guilty as the offender).

Xgears

Smash Apprentice
People really need to chill. Also, no character is a lock until they're announced.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
In other news:

Water. Is it too wet?

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
it's a discussion board that what is supposed to be done

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
it's a discussion board that what is supposed to be done
Right, but this community's enthusiasm now bleeds over into social media.

Between some obnoxious Melee competitive fans, overzealous Ultimate hypers and the general ****tiness of some fans in response to the direct delay, I'm guessing the Smash community doesn't look all that warm and inviting to people outside of it.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Good God, why are people hating so much on Isabelle?!?

WaddleKing

Smash Ace
NNID
Nassim250
Most certainly. There seems to be a standard for character choices within the community, I'll use Pokemon for an example: People are either going to stick to only a new gen starter/new gen Mon being the only idea, and be against any other idea despite the fact other series get older characters in now. Might sound bias that I'm using Pokemon as an example since it's me, but it's more meant to represent how I don't like how Smash fans seem to sort of try to make the rules when there are no real set ones set ones, really. (Aside from anime characters in the sense of Goku and such, but who knows how that one could go)

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Most certainly. There seems to be a standard for character choices within the community, I'll use Pokemon for an example: People are either going to stick to only a new gen starter/new gen Mon being the only idea, and be against any other idea despite the fact other series get older characters in now. Might sound bias that I'm using Pokemon as an example since it's me, but it's more meant to represent how I don't like how Smash fans seem to sort of try to make the rules when there are no set ones, really. (Aside from anime characters in the sense of Goku and such, but who knows how that one could go)
Hey, I want Corsola in, but I know full damn well that it's never gonna happen. I could be pleasantly surprised with playable Dragonite, though (but it's really not likely).

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
Oh definitely, I'm totally guilty of it too. When a character makes it in the game that I don't personally ask for, Isabelle in this case, I will be a tad dissapointed at first but it fades quick. Like, all of you hating on her, how would u feel if your most wanted made it in and a whole forum started bashing the character and saying it was a waste of a character slot. Like, don't deny it, it'd make you a bit upset and sad. It's totally fine to be dissapointed with a result, but to turn that into salt-embued hate to blast at her supporters is so seriously petty and salty that I'm becoming dehydrated just thinking about it.

This reveal separated the good side of the smash fan base from the whiny, greedy bunch, at least for me

Dark2020

Smash Apprentice
Yes, and Isabelle is a prime example. Everyone was all gunning for the likes of Skull Kid/Isaac and were expecting them. From the whole chair theory to the Earthquake theory. Then when Sakurai pulled Isabelle, everyone's "hype" died and started to complain like entitled children. Personally, I welcome Isabelle to the fray and anyone else who gets confirmed. I don't care about K Rool or the Belmonts getting in. Did I complain? No. Alas, this is the internet we're speaking so nothing cease to amaze me

Last edited:

Barbasol

Smash Ace
Absolutely - it's the fault of how we treat character pages unfortunately. You creating/joining a character thread makes it become this tribalist thing where you want YOUR thing to win and other successes are at the expense of yours.

We've basically created a political campaign site except for the support we put behind characters is less relevant to the result and the stakes are a character in a video game.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Unfortunately I feel that this is the case 100% with a lot of people. There will always be petty people when a character either gets in or is not in. While I'm guilty of bias against some characters (see Roy, Chrom, and Corrin), I technically don't speculate much. I just wait, and wait to see what happens, what info is shown, what characters get revealed/deconfirmed, that kinda stuff. In other words, I may have my occasional complaints about certain characters when they get in, but I generally don't get into speculation for the fact that it mostly just sets up for massive disappointment, taking example the whole Isabelle fiasco.
Just a reminder that the whole Isabelle thing is dumb. It was a Nintendo Direct, not a Smash Direct, and this was a great time to show her off. I welcome her. Unfortunately that's part of the curse of super popular characters, there's always an uproar of disappointed people, some who are rather impatient.

But anyways, onto the topic at hand, the one thing I actually may be speculating, but is not in effect yet, is just me waiting to hear more character voices/dialogue. That's when I imagine it may be close to the time where we may get some Kid Icarus rep (or even just showing off some assist trophies/items, including ATs that well, talk, and Phosphora/Magnus are good examples of those who do talk). I base it on the fact that Palutena in s4 came about when we started hearing character dialogue in trailers, like Mac (well, Doc Louis anyways) and Robin trailers before her. In Ultimate, no true character dialogue just yet (well, not in big trailers anyways),

But here, what I said, it's a possibility, it seems valid, it has a chance of happening, but I am not saying it's a shoo-in at all. Thinking this way helps me prevent huge disappointment by not thinking that something is guaranteed to happen, and that there is what I feel many others should do, even if it means reducing speculation and "hidden" clues they find in other trailers, but rather, just be patient and see what happens.

Dark2020

Smash Apprentice
Unfortunately I feel that this is the case 100% with a lot of people. There will always be petty people when a character either gets in or is not in. While I'm guilty of bias against some characters (see Roy, Chrom, and Corrin), I technically don't speculate much. I just wait, and wait to see what happens, what info is shown, what characters get revealed/deconfirmed, that kinda stuff. In other words, I may have my occasional complaints about certain characters when they get in, but I generally don't get into speculation for the fact that it mostly just sets up for massive disappointment, taking example the whole Isabelle fiasco.
Just a reminder that the whole Isabelle thing is dumb. It was a Nintendo Direct, not a Smash Direct, and this was a great time to show her off. I welcome her. Unfortunately that's part of the curse of super popular characters, there's always an uproar of disappointed people, some who are rather impatient.

But anyways, onto the topic at hand, the one thing I actually may be speculating, but is not in effect yet, is just me waiting to hear more character voices/dialogue. That's when I imagine it may be close to the time where we may get some Kid Icarus rep (or even just showing off some assist trophies/items, including ATs that well, talk, and Phosphora/Magnus are good examples of those who do talk). I base it on the fact that Palutena in s4 came about when we started hearing character dialogue in trailers, like Mac (well, Doc Louis anyways) and Robin trailers before her. In Ultimate, no true character dialogue just yet (well, not in big trailers anyways),

But here, what I said, it's a possibility, it seems valid, it has a chance of happening, but I am not saying it's a shoo-in at all. Thinking this way helps me prevent huge disappointment by not thinking that something is guaranteed to happen, and that there is what I feel many others should do, even if it means reducing speculation and "hidden" clues they find in other trailers, but rather, just be patient and see what happens.
Makes me wonder how people will react to Bandana Waddle Dee joining the fight...

Uffe

Smash Hero
Because they think another character is far more deserving of being in Smash than someone like Isabelle. I know you didn't mention Isabelle, but so far, she's been the only character nobody has given much care about to be added. Even Chrom was welcomed with open arms, and I guess that's because some fans wanted him in Smash. However, I'm sure some people also wanted Isabelle in Smash, so yesterday was a good day for them. I was one of those people who was hoping she wasn't going to be in Sma5h, but then within the hours after yesterday's Nintendo Direct, I began to think about what fans of her were thinking, thought about how maybe this was a character Sakurai expected to receive much love from, and even though she's not real, I began to feel bad for the character herself. Someone else said it yesterday, and they're absolutely correct. We need to grow up and just accept what we get.

StormC

Smash Hero
I know you didn't mention Isabelle, but so far, she's been the only character nobody has given much care about to be added.
This is incredibly ironic coming from a K. Rool supporter, but this statement just reveals that SmashBoards is truly an echo chamber. Tumblr and Twitter are absolutely filled with people excited about Isabelle, with all sorts of fanart and memes being spread around. Isabelle wasn't a character for the hardcore Smash fans who obsess over design documents and exit polls, but the people who simply treat Smash as another series they enjoy. Considering the 1-2-3 punch of Ridley/Simon/K. Rool, that was perhaps understandable. Animal Crossing just isn't really very popular with the diehard Smash fanbase.

D

Deleted member

This is incredibly ironic coming from a K. Rool supporter, but this statement just reveals that SmashBoards is truly an echo chamber. Tumblr and Twitter are absolutely filled with people excited about Isabelle, with all sorts of fanart and memes being spread around. Isabelle wasn't a character for the hardcore Smash fans who obsess over design documents and exit polls, but the people who simply treat Smash as another series they enjoy. Considering the 1-2-3 punch of Ridley/Simon/K. Rool, that was perhaps understandable. Animal Crossing just isn't really very popular with the diehard Smash fanbase.
What series are popular with the diehard Smash fanbase?

StormC

Smash Hero
What series are popular with the diehard Smash fanbase?
DK, Metroid, Kirby, Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Fire Emblem, pretty much most of the "classic" series that have been with Smash since the first game.

D

Deleted member

DK, Metroid, Kirby, Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Fire Emblem, pretty much most of the "classic" series that have been with Smash since the first game.
Fire Emblem is popular with diehard Smash fans? I though the whole "2MuchFE4Me" thing would've said otherwise.

StormC

Smash Hero
Fire Emblem is popular with diehard Smash fans? I though the whole "2MuchFE4Me" thing would've said otherwise.
FE characters still get a lot of attention and discussion in Smash, and Chrom was a well-received inclusion. It's definitely controversial but it also has a lot of overlap with genuine fans. Heck, Roy got in primarily on the support of Smash fans, not even necessarily Fire Emblem fans.

D

Deleted member

FE characters still get a lot of attention and discussion in Smash, and Chrom was a well-received inclusion. It's definitely controversial but it also has a lot of overlap with genuine fans. Heck, Roy got in primarily on the support of Smash fans, not even necessarily Fire Emblem fans.
Interesting. I myself am not that huge on Fire Emblem, but hey, pull for you will pull for. Just keep a level head about. That's something we all could work on.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
To me at least I switch from taking it seriously and not. Honestly, the speculation period is part of the fun for new Smash games, its fun to talk to others about who you want, or who you expect to see. It makes me feel part of the community despite not being a regular tournament player.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
When you've got passion for something, sometimes it's hard to turn your settings to anything other than the highest number. And I'm guilty of it too. I do think it's taken way too seriously, but I also understand it. And I don't really look down on anyone who gets a little heated over it... unless they start using slurs and threats or start harassing the people who are responsible for making the game... Then it stops being harmless.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
Absolutely.

At the end of the day none of the speculation matters. What will and won't be in the game has been decided before we caught the first glimps of it.
It does serve to pass time as we wait, however.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Yes of course and it seems we all are guilty haha.

But smash hype is always gonna be a thing.

After Isabelle (I'm fine with her inclusion now, and interested, but she wasn't something I really wanted) I'm trying to lower my expectations, with the current Ken/fire cat thing leaks, with maybe Geno being the last character or first dlc (like mewtwo) I'm kinda trying to prep myself to be disappointed and just having K. Rool as the only new character that got me excited.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Oh God, yes. I have seen some awful things on the GameFAQs board...

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Absolutely. I've had my fair share of going too deep into speculation (the box theory is a good example of this), but at the end of the day all I want is to play this amazing game. Speculation is fun, but nothing beats the experience of a new Smash.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
boxes.

boxes.

inb4 the box doesn't even show all the characters

also I'm guilty for the Sakurai's background theory so I'm not hating, I'm just adding sumthin'

Last edited:

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
After Midna being non-playable for the third time, I think I realized I can't take any serious discussions with reveals no more. If the character is "unique," "memorable," and is "appealing to the eye," then that's all I care for.

Top Bottom