• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you see guilty by association much?

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I myself have silently done this before, I admit it.

Occasionally I see people online who stereotype/generalize members of a fanbase that they con't like and seem to have a guilty by association feel. "If these two or three Zelda fans like Classic Ganon better than Dorf, that means they all do!" I really hate it when people do this because it's toxic and deteriorates the core values of this community. When I see someone who suggests that all fans of a certain fanbase they don't like want this fighter/believe this is bad/want this to happen/think this should be removed, you can tell how upset this makes people.

Guilty by association is more or less an ad hominem argument since it suggests that you believe in something based on your profile picture or other preferences. I know that I've talked about my dislike toward ad hominem arguments before but this is different. Guilty by Association suggests that all members of a fanbase you don't like are "guily" of doing something wrong and therefore bad members of the Smash community. That somehow for wanting a certain character to become a fighter someone has done something wrong and must be silenced or pressured into changing their mind/leaving the conversation.

I want to be able to create a solution to this problem before it leaks into and after Ultimate's release.

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
For me, people see a few people being salty towards each other and think that’s what all Smash players are like, which isn’t the case.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
as a Waluigi fan, I see this a lot.

like the man in purple or not, the idea that all Waluigi fans/supporters are meme-obsessed, conspiracy-theorizing harassers is absurd. it's really unfortunate he's become such a taboo subject in the SSB community, especially since other characters who have got in have had equally as bad fans. (I'm personally of the belief there's no such thing as a bad fanbase, just bad fans) remember the insanity over Ridley and Mewtwo in the Miiverse days?

as a Waluigi fan, I see this a lot.

like the man in purple or not, the idea that all Waluigi fans/supporters are meme-obsessed, conspiracy-theorizing harassers is absurd. it's really unfortunate he's become such a taboo subject in the SSB community, especially since other characters who have got in have had equally as bad fans. (I'm personally of the belief there's no such thing as a bad fanbase, just bad fans) remember the insanity over Ridley and Mewtwo in the Miiverse days?
I sympathise with you.

Similar deal for K.Rool, certain people poorly categorise a few bad eggs as reflective of the whole fanbase and then extrapolate their agenda/vendetta to suit their narrative. It really stifles rational discussion at times.

Unfortunately some people are childish, immature, irrational, illogical and lack comprehension skills, but that is the internet for you and something which is part and parcel of it all.

And I like Waluigi, hilarious and zany character, great foil for Mario and co. No doubt he's up there for the next speculation period a la Ridley and K. Rool.

Last edited:
Top Bottom