• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you rematch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

boysilver400

Smash Apprentice
No. I personally see no reason to rematch on quickplay. I can't switch characters, online is usually laggy, which makes the already bad buffer system worse, there's no guarantee I get the ruleset I want, and I always seem to run into spammers(this isn't just a Kirby problem) and people with a much higher skill level than mine. In turn, this makes the GSP system a personal hell for me because I always lose so much GSP since I get bodied all the time no matter what character I use, and yet on the rare occasion that I do win, I seemingly gain very little gsp in comparison. My highest gsp is 2mil with Kirby, and I've basically given up on trying to get elite smash. Trying for the past few months has stressed me out and I feel like I'm gaining nothing and that I'm getting robbed out of my time considering we have to pay for this mess.

Lacrimosa

Smash Lord
There is no incentive to stay but if I had fun with someone then I stay for some games but that happens rarely since most of the times, the game is still laggy (just now Ihad a hideous connection).
Anyway, I try to stay against much better players as well since there's usually something to learn there. The flaw is that you lose tons of GSP and then you end up beating up lower-level players which is still ok but you don't learn much there, so I don't stay that long when facing a really good player.

Crescentium

Smash Cadet
I tend to rematch unless they were super laggy, their ruleset was dumb, or I don't feel like putting up with their bm anymore lol. Hell, I'll play the same person for hours if they show me that can they adapt/learn from their mistakes or if we can just goof off and try to style on each other. I really enjoy the rare occasions where I bump into players that are noticeably worse than me (but are willing to learn) and I try to subtly teach them how to improve (ex. punishing them for using the same getup option and showing them how they can mix up their options, I start rolling/spot dodging a lot so they can figure out how to punish rolls/spot dodges, etc.)

link2702

Smash Champion
I almost always rematch win or lose.

One match is not enough for either player to truly learn a match. Bare minimum of 2/3 should be played, i find those who always leave after one match to be cowards who are scared that their opponent might have figured out their playstyle by the end of the first and has already devised a counter to it.

Seriously I wish quickplay forced a minimum of best of 3, where if you leave after only one match you lose double the amount of points you would have if you stayed for best of 3 and lost.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
If I enjoyed it and if it's lag free, sure...as long as the person feels the same way.

BEASTMASTERTOAD

Smash Cadet
NNID
BEASTMASTERTOAD
In QP, I tend to keep it moving unless I feel like the player I matched with had a bad bit of luck and isn’t a bad sport.

In BA, I will play as long as the other player wants to play, but will only drop out if it’s obvious I’m playing against a memester or someone looking to fluff their ego.

Keeshu

Smash Ace
I've finally decided to try getting characters into Elite Smash since my friends have taken a break from Ultimate it seems. I eventually want to get all characters into elite smash, but I know this won't happen due to lack of time to play because even if I did win every match I'm not sure I'd be able to do it. So I basically never leave if I'm kicking someone's butt because I want my GSP to get higher. If I'm losing, I'm just too stubborn to leave because I want to learn how the other person is beating me whether it's something they are doing (which means someone else will at a some point too), or if I have an exploitable bad habbit. I try to tell myself to leave so GSP won't suffer, but I just can't resist a good fight.

Generally my matches in quick play go (when not fighting people with low GSP due to losing against someone far better than I am): I get my butt handed to me in the first match really hard (3 stocks not uncommon). Second match is pretty close. Then depending on who I'm playing, third to fifth match I start kicking their butts and they can't seem to get the same momentum they once had. I really do feel like my ability to control characters isn't the best, but I can definitely read how other people play their characters.

Grimel

Smash Cadet
I don't rematch anymore. Used to do it in the past but since pretty much everyone leaves after one match if they win I am doing the same. I have pretty much stopped playing quickplay anyways. I just play quickplay if a character drops out of elite.

Last edited:

GhostM

Phantom
I sometimes rematch against people but Ultimate’s online sadly has this atmosphere of just playing one match to win/lose and quit the next. Very rarely would I find someone that would stay for the next game, which forces me to pretty much fall into this atmosphere as well. It would be fun if people would stay since you can adapt to your opponents over multiple games rather than just one match.

wellybelle

Smash Rookie
I almost always rematch at least once, pretty much the only time I don't is if there's a ruleset I don't like or if I'm straight up done playing. Honestly I think it's super rude not to rematch, especially if you win.

Last edited:

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
Got to get that Best 2 out of 3. Also, I will always rematch someone I lose against, that's the only way to get better. (So if you stomp, please let us get one more shot)

Love Tap

Smash Cadet
Sometimes. I usually rematch if it's close and I know the reason I lost is something easily corrected. But rarely. I used to make a point to rematch on principle, but it's so annoying when you rematch someone and then the next round is played on a BS stage. It makes you regret it. And as has been mentioned, most players on QP play like cowards. I've gotten to the point where I just SD those matches, even if I know I can probably win, because the whole process of playing wack-a-mole with someone for three stocks is just irritating and not fun. I'll eat the GSP loss and save myself the stroke.

I rematch players that are neck and neck with me and actually play and honest game in neutral. The other instance is if it's someone better than me and I want to figure out how to beat them. I'll rematch until I win if they'll let me.

Last edited:

boysilver400

Smash Apprentice
I rematched some ICs player as Duck Hunt, who I had 2.8 mil with. I lost the first game which put me to about 1.8 mil(wtf), and I made the mistake rematching just to get practice. I SD'd twice, the player beat me again, and now I'm at 830k.

Ridiculous. I'm legit never getting elite lmfao

Last edited:

DeDeDIke

Smash Apprentice
Although 1 v 1s is not my preferred playstyle, I will only rematch based on certain conditions (most of the time I just leave and find another match):
1. No lag
2. My opponent is respectable and is not a projectile spammer (some characters I will NEVER rematch regardless of whether I win or lose)
3. My opponent plays a swordie or superheavy (I like fighting those opponents the most)
4. Their ruleset is 3 stock 7 minutes (items on/off doesn't matter to me)

I WILL NOT rematch if:
1. Lag
2. Projectile spammer (esp. Ms. Charge Shot)
3. I get utterly humiliated by getting 3-stocked and only doing ~68% overall
4. Stamina rulesets OR time rulesets

*** Again, I usually play team battles and FFAs, but if I run into a 1 v 1, those would be what I use.

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
I just started playing some matches online again recently. I'm not in Elite though. I'm not sure if that matters much regarding the rates at which players are willing to rematch, but I find it actually rare for somebody not to rematch me. Could you all specify what GSP you're around when stating whether or not you're seeing frequent or infrequent rematch rates? Mine's currently around 5M, and I always queue as Ridley.

I rematch the vast majority of the time, only not doing so if they're laggy, or if I'm getting frustrated. My opponents nearly always rematch back, usually at least for a full best of 3 set, sometimes more. I'd say the most common interaction I have with random opponents is for a "best of 3" set to be performed, though some stay best of 5 sets, or even more.

Maybe people just like fighting against Ridley, or against heavies, or against big, easy to combo characters? Not sure, but my luck with getting people to rematch me seems quite good compared to the anecdotal evidence this thread suggests.

Has anybody noticed a significant difference in rematch rates when playing as different characters? I would suspect some characters that are generally seen as annoying (think Ness) would see lower rematch rates than characters people want to fight against.

Last edited:

Mr Saturn Fanboy

Smash Apprentice
I don't usually rematch unless I like the person's style and/or I feel cheated out of a win

Other reasons I may not rematch:
Young Link
Teabagging
Bored of the matchup
Young Link

Kokiden

Smash Ace
If the player is good, then yes,. This applies even if I lose.

I'd rather rematch someone who I think can make my gameplay better, than someone who spams projectiles and does hit and run tactics.

DeDeDIke

Smash Apprentice
Has anybody noticed a significant difference in rematch rates when playing as different characters? I would suspect some characters that are generally seen as annoying (think Ness) would see lower rematch rates than characters people want to fight against.
One of my friends play Bowser and he says that ppl are always willing to rematch him for a best of 3 (he's at ~4.7 mil GSP). Maybe ppl like re-matching super heavies because they're fun to combo? It sucks (and no fun) when you're on the opposite end getting combo'ed to oblivion.

J.I.L

Banned via Administration
I never rematch. Lol. Well actually that’s not true, I sometimes accidentally rematch. So when I’m playing I’m usually always tea bagging after every stock. Once game is over, I click rematch. When I see my oppenets wants another shot, I click out of the room immediately as I continue to laugh at them. It’s funny, because those people actually thought they were going to get a rematch. SIKE! Loooool.
Ehem, anyway sometimes I’ll forget to click out of game and thus causes a rematch. Or sometimes I’ll rematch if I lose on someone else is ruleset so I rematch to get mine and win and do what I said above.
My gsp is somewhere deep in elite smash. I haven’t been playing much ES anymore. It’s infested with too many cheap hero players who don’t have any dignity for themselves and continue to cheese it up with their cheap character and tank my gsp. So I’m done with quickplay largely, but yeah. I don’t rematch.

Last edited:

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
I rematch if either the match was close or I feel that me or my opponent are adapting to one another. I played against a Zelda for a long ass time early this morning and won all but a few matches, but they got noticeably better as time went on. It was good fun

Comic

Smash Rookie
I typically go ahead and rematch, though I haven't been in any position where I feel that I shouldn't. I don't typically have matches with any rule sets I dislike so I just stay there. That being said, I usually have no problem going into the same match with someone because I enjoy the chance to do so.

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
I don't play the quick matches/elite smash anymore because it's not the practical way to get good matches or have learning experiences. When I did, in the beginning, I always rematched a minimum of one time. I'd, ideally, go for best 2 out of 3. However, with Elite Smash, points (or tags) seem to be the highest priority for most players so if they win, they dip. If they lose, they dip (Instead of learning the match up) to protect their points.

I've moved my entire focus to player arenas. That way matches are played more ideally (Less BS to protect points), less odds of getting jank rules or stages and having the opportunity to get as many rematches as I want provided I remain in the lobby and it doesn't close. Plus even if I'm in a lobby that I may have lower skilled players, I enjoy playing them regardless to help them improve and it's awesome when they don't give me the boot and keep playing to try to topple me from the ring.

Grimel

Smash Cadet
Played Quickplay again after some time. After a win, I gave the other person a remach, then they won and left. Nothing changed, so I am back to not rematching again. One and done.

Lacrimosa

Smash Lord
There is no incentive to stay but if I had fun with someone then I stay for some games but that happens rarely since most of the times, the game is still laggy (just now Ihad a hideous connection).
Anyway, I try to stay against much better players as well since there's usually something to learn there. The flaw is that you lose tons of GSP and then you end up beating up lower-level players which is still ok but you don't learn much there, so I don't stay that long when facing a really good player.
Mindset shifted a bit since I try playing Bo3 sets with the opponent. If they should win twice (and still stay), I try doing a Bo5 with them. GSP isn't that important tbh.
However, that doesn't apply to super-laggy opponents.

Love Tap

Smash Cadet
Btw, if you homie stock me you get bro status and can have as many rematches as you want.

golf?

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-5647-4777-2873
I never leave a decent stable match, sans these reasons 3.

A. Knock on door
B. Cat aggro
3. To get a "soda" or have a "cigarette"

However, if the whole thing was a laggy spammy mess; I deem it time to get up, walk away, and get dc for idling. It was break time anyway.

LittleGamer

Smash Rookie
I generally rematch. Most of the time I do it in Bo3 : I try to stay at least 2 matches with the opponent. When the opponent and I are at the same level, I try to stick to him the longest possible, as I feel like I learn more and need to pay attention in the game.

I also have the habit of rematching disrespectful players. If the guy wins and starts teabagging at the end of the game for exemple, you can be sure I'll rematch him and play more seriously (As I don't care a lot about GSP I usually play in autopilot online).
Only exception is with players with a racist or offensive nickname. I find it stupid and don't like to play with them.

Otherwise, if the game is too laggy, I won't play again. A bit laggy at one point is ok.

Tortfeasor

Smash Cadet
I don't understand the "one and done" mentality that seems pervasive in Quickplay. I get that its about maximizing GSP gain, but it seems really inefficient to leave a stable connection, go back to the character select screen, select your character again, and then wait to join a new match. I haven't timed that whole process, but it seems you'd waste so much time compared to doing multiple matches with the same person. Additionally, the "one and done" approach, I would guess, likely wouldn't lead to a statistically significant chance of improving your GSP faster or in greater amounts that doing a couple rematches. Just seems with each new opponent, you're just as likely to win or lose.

Personally, I try to rematch as much as possible. I even played a session last night where I did not refuse to rematch at all. Meant I had a crazy swing where I got kicked out of Elite Smash, lost several hundred thousand GSP over the course of getting schooled by a Ness, and eventually climbed my way back up (though not quite at Elite Smash). Overall, it pushed me to improve rather than look for easy wins.

About the only times I will refuse a rematch is lag, cat aggro, or wife aggro (my wife has an uncanny ability to sense when I'm playing Smash and that's suddenly when something needs to be done).

KahunaLagoona DX

Smash Cadet
Considering my current goal...

I'll rematch mostly so I can keep a losing streak going, especially if there's a good connection.

I DON'T is when:
- Lag
- Opponent's preferred rules don't match mine (7 min, 3 Stock)
- The Opponent is an idiot who would be a better easy win with another character.
- The Opponent is dangerously close to losing.
- The Opponent has figured my schtik out and is trying to sabotage me.
- I Win a match pretty much resetting my hard work: IE I Gain 2000 GSP in one match after spending so long to lose said GSP.
- Even when I Lose I don't lose GSP.

Firox

Smash Master
The only times I'll refuse to rematch are when:

A) Lag is horrible
B) the opponent's ruleset is jank
B) the opponent's playstyle is pure liquid cancer
C) the opponent smashes my head in so one-sidedely that I can't learn anything from fighting them because the gap between us is too large

Last edited:

AstralSoul64

Smash Rookie
I rematch sometimes. I won;' rematch if the person's skill has far eclipsed my own and in that case there's zero chance of me winning. I won't rematch a huge troll who teabags constantly, spams one move, or just runs away the whole time (though sometimes I will just to get revenge, get my win and then exit out). I won't rematch people whose lag makes the game unfun.

OnyanRings

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4662-0014-5533
I always try to do a best out of 3 with every player i encounter (Out of 5 if i'm really having fun).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom