• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you prefer the gameplay mechanics of Smash than in other fighting games?

Gameplay Mechanics

• Total voters

aliensalmon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aliensalmon
3DS FC
1204-0174-6540
I like Smash's mechanics more than other fighting games. I guess I like the freedom given to the character movement and the characters flying about after getting hit.

ReddFloxy

Smash Apprentice
I do like Smash a whole lot more than other fighting games (Tekken, Street Fighter.. just to name some more popular ones) because they hardly allow any movement in the way Smash Bros does it. In Smash Bros your jumps have much more use and your movement is much more key.

Also I love the fact that you have to get someone's % up in order to knock them out of the ring/map. It gives a more exciting feeling which doesn't transfer to more basic fighting games. (Oh my HP is gone in one hit, better accept it. While in Smash you still have a fighting chance to get yourself back into the game)

Zol

Smash Apprentice
it's hard for me to consider smash bros a fighting game

just because the characters swing at eachother don't make it a fighter, cuz the game in general is way far from the traditional fighting game setup

it's more of a side-scroll beat em up

Khao

Smash Lord
Bad poll options, neither yes or no are good choices, but I do care.

They're just different games I play at different times, couldn't live without either of them. (well, that's an exaggeration, but you get it.)

I love the focus on mobility Smash has.

But I also love moves canceling into other moves, and complicated special moves.

3D fighters also change things around a lot, Soul Calibur is incredibly unique for one.

Last edited:

dd_ray

Smash Rookie
NNID
dray
3DS FC
0404-5755-0943
it's hard for me to consider smash bros a fighting game

just because the characters swing at eachother don't make it a fighter, cuz the game in general is way far from the traditional fighting game setup

it's more of a side-scroll beat em up
Saying it isn't a traditional fighter doesn't mean it isn't one. It's a fighter through and through, just very unique.

Zol

Smash Apprentice
Saying it isn't a traditional fighter doesn't mean it isn't one. It's a fighter through and through, just very unique.
it depends on how you look at it

i cant consider it one myself since i've played tekken and street fighter way more than i've played smash

KaZe_DaRKWIND

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5043-2124-2144
The only other fighting game I have ever liked in any way was Tekken 2 and that was only because I played it with my friends.

Johnny Heart Gold

Smash Journeyman
I love the gameplay of Smash bros but I also love the style of Marvel vs Capcom, it's hard to decide, I like both, I suck at other figthing games like King of figthers, and I love SF4 but MVC and smash gameplay are waaay better for me.

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
it depends on how you look at it

i cant consider it one myself since i've played tekken and street fighter way more than i've played smash
It's not how you look at it, Smash is a fighting game, much more freedom, it's a better Fighting game because you can much more creative in Smash than say in Street Fighter, where the creative ceiling is limited to the combos you can do.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
The big thing I hope to see in Smash is a balanced super move mechanic. Final Smashes are a) too overpowered in general for the effort they take to get and b) are horribly imbalanced relative to each other.

D

Deleted member

I like the simplicity of Smash. Normally, I'm good with memorization, but I just can't seem to memorize lengthy button inputs.

And I've never been able to pull of a Shoryuken. Not once.

Une

Smash Apprentice
eh, some things are cooler, some things are worse. Like take the way you die in Smash. With the way it works you can die earlier or take a million damage and not be KOed. It's especially an issue in Brawl or Project M. In a traditional fighter, you lose all your HP, you're done. You don't have to ever **** around and try to land the finishing blow on a dude with 300 damage but won't die because he has one of those ******** PM recoveries or it's Brawl.

One thing that I hate in Smash for SURE though is ledge-stalling. I absolutely despise it. I can't think of anything that is really that similar to ledge-stalling in 2D fighters. It's easily the dumbest thing about Smash games.

Takehiko

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FoldedMachi
It comes down to what you prefer to put your time into. All fighting games have an fighting chance (i.e. Evo moment 34 , Never Give up Justin wong) of coming back. That just depends on your practice, understanding your current situation in the game, and knowing what options to fight back with.

For the argument of not seeing smash as a fighting game. fighting games are any game where two characters (in smash case 2 or 4) where each opponent has the objective of defeating the other character by means of what is available to them with in their character's skill set. Which is why items aren't for competitive play.

Personally, I could take either. I like smash in it's ways, and I like other fighting games for the same reasons.

Zol

Smash Apprentice
It's not how you look at it, Smash is a fighting game, much more freedom, it's a better Fighting game because you can much more creative in Smash than say in Street Fighter, where the creative ceiling is limited to the combos you can do.
it is how you look at it

it's not black and white, there's a gray area when it comes to this game. if you want to call it one, then go ahead

i don't consider it one just 'cause it involves characters punching/"comboing" eachother, there's other aspects that come into play

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Aside from Skullgirls, which I find to be incredibly intuitive and easy to play, Smash is definitely my favourite fighting game system. So simple yet rich in depth and variety!

And I've never been able to pull of a Shoryuken. Not once.
It took me ages, but my strategy is to press forward and then wiggle the control stick in the corner until it works.

Last edited:
Top Bottom