• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you prefer Star KOs/Screen KOs or upper Blast KOs?

Star KOs/Screen KOs or upper Blast KOs?

• Star KOs/Screen KOs

Votes: 40 90.9%
  • Upper Blast KOs

Votes: 4 9.1%

• Total voters

William5000000

Smash Journeyman
Since I'm very disappointed with how the developers went with this from the previous "Smash" game, I thought I'd make one last thread on this topic. At least this way, I can try to get SOME enjoyment out of it.

I wish they added a toggle or frequency on this in the final game, where they're either random, they occur every time, or they never occur at all. That way, people could enjoy the randomness, enjoy Star KOs/Screen KOs in matches whenever they want, and play in competitive matches without having to put up with the upper blast line's RNG. I guess we'll just have to wait for that in a patch update or possibly a deluxe edition (hopefully in physical form too) in the future, where they'll have everything. Otherwise, there may never be true happiness, whether the game is fun or not, and we can all cry about it for eternity.

Anyway, with all of that said, do you prefer Star KOs/Screen KOs or upper Blast KOs? And before you ask, I don't mean competitive play. I mean in general.

Last edited:

Orlando BCN

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0933-8407-0408
It doesn’t matter if both end up killing your opponent, anyway. But I prefer star K.O.s because it gives you a short break to scratch an itch.

R208

Smash Cadet
I prefer Star KOs. How else will I learn that Pit never learned how to read?

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
You do kind of need all three for the game to be fair, but it can't just be 33% chance for each. It needs to be fair. Not random. I have two quotes regarding this, and I still stick by them for what I think would be a fair system. They were on the same page in the same thread, so I just merged them into one.
I would make kills off the top 100% free from randomness in game play.

I would work it as Star KOs happening most of the time with a small chance of a Screen KO. Screen KOs are increased in length to match Star KOs. This randomness would be okay because it's visual only. Blast KOs off the top would never happen except in predictable and fair situations.

Some examples include...
- A person dying off the top on their last stock in a FFA or a 1v1 stock match.
- A person dying off the top while losing their team's last stock in a team stock match.
- That small window of time in a timed match where a Star KO wouldn't be fast enough to confirm the kill.
- The entirety of a Sudden Death.

I'm not saying there's more out there, but that's really all the fair situations I can think of at the present moment.

Last edited:

Tubby_Squirrel

Cheerful, fat rodent
Switch FC
3618-6481-0607
Star/Screen KO's for the reasons already highlighted, but of the two, screen KOs. That feeling of impact when the splat the screen is great.

William5000000

Smash Journeyman
You do kind of need all three for the game to be fair, but it can't just be 33% chance for each. It needs to be fair. Not random. I have two quotes regarding this, and I still stick by them for what I think would be a fair system. They were on the same page in the same thread, so I just merged them into one.

I would make kills off the top 100% free from randomness in game play.

I would work it as Star KOs happening most of the time with a small chance of a Screen KO. Screen KOs are increased in length to match Star KOs. This randomness would be okay because it's visual only. Blast KOs off the top would never happen except in predictable and fair situations.

Some examples include...
- A person dying off the top on their last stock in a FFA or a 1v1 stock match.
- A person dying off the top while losing their team's last stock in a team stock match.
- That small window of time in a timed match where a Star KO wouldn't be fast enough to confirm the kill.
- The entirety of a Sudden Death.

I'm not saying there's more out there, but that's really all the fair situations I can think of at the present moment.
With regards to your comment about making the game fair upon crossing the upper blast line, I'm afraid that would require modding. And apparently, modding is a bad idea in general, with the exception being "Project M" to change random tripping from "Brawl".

Bandai Namco/Nintendo could change that, but it's pretty obvious that they aren't going back on it. The only chance we seem to have now is if they actually listen to the fans on it; they add a toggle or frequency on Star KOs/Screen KOs in a patch update, where they're either random, they occur every time, or they never occur at all. I imagine disabling Star KOs/Screen KOs would greatly benefit competitive players, since they dislike them. Some people like the randomness on the upper blast line because it's exciting. I, on the other hand, would personally enable Star KOs/Screen KOs so they occur every time.

Last edited:

tiberus8

Smash Cadet
Star KOs all the way. They're always entertaining to see when they happen. Screen KOs are even more entertaining to see.

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
Star kos are so infrequent thay I dont even know some characters death cry.

Which is the beat part of star ko’s, hearing said characters screming as they fly off into oblivion. Its fun, always has been fun, and i dont understand why they ever changed it.

William5000000

Smash Journeyman
Star kos are so infrequent thay I dont even know some characters death cry.

Which is the beat part of star ko’s, hearing said characters screming as they fly off into oblivion. Its fun, always has been fun, and i dont understand why they ever changed it.
I can only think of one reason: competitive players. There may be more reasons why, but for now, that's all I can think of.

Last edited:

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
I can only think of one reason: competitive players. There may be more reasons why, but for now, that's all I can think of.
If they did for competeitve players it failed because it is even more random now then it was before.

All they had to do was make the star ko and splat ko duration identical in length.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
:ultpit: and :ultroy: alone are the reason why Star KOs are better

William5000000

Smash Journeyman
If they did for competeitve players it failed because it is even more random now then it was before.

All they had to do was make the star ko and splat ko duration identical in length.
Smash 64:
Star KOs and Screen KOs were the same length in "Smash 64", lasting about 3 seconds. In "Melee", those type of KOs were changed, and that's where the randomness all started.

Melee:
The length of Screen KOs were actually changed, where it lasted 1 and a half-second. The length of Star KOs were shortened to about 2 seconds.

I did read on SmashWiki that in the unused content of "Melee", the length of those KOs were identical to the ones in "Smash 64" from the beta versions. Then the length of Screen KOs length were changed in the final game.

----------

After HAL Laboratory developed those games directed by Sakurai from 1999-2001, it seemed like things started changing drastically, with Sakurai leaving HAL Laboratory shortly after the release of "Kirby Air Ride", claiming that he was tired of making more sequels demanded by the fans.

In around 2008, HAL Laboratory handed over the series to the new developers, which is Sora Ltd. Early trailers of "Brawl" were shown, where characters were launched to the upper blast line but were Blast KO'd instead. This leads me to believe that the developers had considered adding that in the mix along with Star KOs and Screen KOs by random chance, but was cut in the final game. Although not intentional, there were two ways to get Blast KO'd upon crossing the upper blast line: near the left or right blast lines or by grabbing upon crossing the upper blast line.

The next "Smash" game in 2014, developed by Bandai Namco, definitely added the upper Blast KOs by random chance. Also, the knockback was a factor, where being launched too fast upon crossing the upper blast line would result in a Blast KO, and being launched just slow enough upon crossing the upper blast line would result in either a Star KO, a Screen KO, or a Blast KO at random. This may be because certain stages (Boxing Ring, for example) wouldn't make much sense to have Star KOs. Or a certain stage like Flat Zone X not having Screen KOs. Or even certain stages like Duck Hunt not having Star KOs/Screen KOs. The length of Screen KOs were increased, lasting about 2 and a half-second, which is a half-second longer than Star KOs. In the last five seconds of the match and Sudden Death, Star KOs/Screen KOs were disabled, presumably to solve balance issues. In the beta versions, players launched at extreme speeds upon crossing the upper blast line would still result in a Star KO/Screen KO. But Blast KOs would still occur by random chance.

----------

We have yet to find out if the knockback upon crossing the upper blast line is still a factor, and that certain stages disabling Star KOs/Screen KOs are still a factor. The length of Screen KOs are once again shortened and faster than Star KOs, lasting about 1 and a half-second, which matches the ones from "Melee". I assume the last five seconds of the match and Sudden Death still disable Star KOs/Screen KOs.

I've read on SmashWiki that at very high knockback speeds, Star KOs/Screen KOs can occur. But I don't believe it...yet. All-Star Smash, Stage Morph, and maybe even Adventure Mode disabling Star KOs/Screen KOs I can understand. But a toggle or frequency on those type of KOs still would've made more sense, in my opinion anyway.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Instant. If I'm going to die or kill someone I'd prefer if the game didn't drag it out.

William5000000

Smash Journeyman
Probably unrelated to this topic, but guys...it happened again.

Look:
https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/ab34rc/it_really_do_be_like_that_sometimes/

This is one of the reasons why I wish they added a toggle or frequency on Star KOs/Screen KOs in the final game. :(

I love Star KOs/Screen KOs since "Smash 64", but come on. They should be toggled off for competitive matches, in my opinion. Jigglypuff's down special got improved by decreasing ending lag, making it less likely to get punished for landing the move.

Last edited:

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
Screen splats and Stars KOs are amazing, and I'm disappointed whenever I get blasts instead.

While I understand people's concern in pro play at high end tournaments, I really don't care for that tiny minority to hinder the flair of the fun stuff as well.

Last edited:

William5000000

Smash Journeyman
Screen splats and Stars KOs are amazing, and I'm disappointed whenever I get blasts instead.

While I understand people's concern in pro play at high end tournaments, I really don't care for that tiny minority to hinder the flair of the fun stuff as well.
Ah, disappointments. It seems like there are many disappointments for things that may not be big but may change in the future if they get noticed enough times.

tiberus8

Smash Cadet
Probably unrelated to this topic, but guys...it happened again.

Look:
https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/ab34rc/it_really_do_be_like_that_sometimes/

This is one of the reasons why I wish they added a toggle or frequency on Star KOs/Screen KOs in the final game. :(

I love Star KOs/Screen KOs since "Smash 64", but come on. They should be toggled off for competitive matches, in my opinion. Jigglypuff's down special got improved by decreasing ending lag, making it less likely to get punished for landing the move.
I saw the clip. And wow, that sucks. How do people not get annoyed by that?

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Screen KOs are hilarious.

This is one of the reasons why I wish they added a toggle or frequency on Star KOs/Screen KOs in the final game.
You don't need a toggle. You just need to make the game count the KO as soon as it knows they're KOed, instead of once the animation for the KO is finished.

Last edited:

William5000000

Smash Journeyman
Screen KOs are hilarious.

You don't need a toggle. You just need to make the game count the KO as soon as it knows they're KOed, instead of once the animation for the KO is finished.
But I'm pretty sure the developers aren't going to do that. And even if it is possible, only a mod would change that. And again, modding is apparently a bad idea in general. If there is some way of doing it without getting into trouble, I'd love to know. Not that I'd want to get into modding, nor would I have the time.

And speaking of that, competitive players dislike Star KOs/Screen KOs because they are annoying for various reasons. Unfair losses, characters like Donkey Kong, Samus, Cloud, et cetera, having charge moves that can be canceled, and opponents getting either Star KO'd or Screen KO'd being unable to prevent them from charging up, and competitive team battles, where a player can get 1v2'd during those animations or the other team heals during those animations. And I'm pretty sure competitive players would prefer if the match didn't drag out with Star KOs/Screen KOs. Jigglypuff's down special was improved by decreasing ending lag and can be canceled afterwards, making it less likely to get punished for landing the move, even if a Blast KO occurs. So it shouldn't be a big deal for Jigglypuff anymore, whether it's on-stage or off-stage.

For competitive play, just have Star KOs/Screen KOs toggled off. That's my opinion on it. They wanted the game to be just as fast as "Melee", so I don't see a problem with having no Star KOs/Screen KOs for competitive matches to go by quicker. Plus, no putting up with the upper blast line's RNG, which benefits competitive players.

Again, this is one of the reasons why a toggle or frequency on Star KOs/Screen KOs would've made more sense, where they're either random, they occur every time, or they never occur at all. That way, people could enjoy the randomness, enjoy Star KOs/Screen KOs in matches whenever they want, and play in competitive matches without having to put up with the upper blast line's RNG.

----------

Aside from that, I had done a goal from "Smash 64" through netplay back in 2015, which involved getting an intentional Star KO at the end of the match with an intentional taunt from 4 specific characters, which was actually part of my goal. I can definitely do that same goal in "Melee", with 5 specific characters I have in mind. But with how the developers lessened the RNG factor of Star KOs, it'll be way more frustrating than it needs to be for me to get that strong ending in "Ultimate", with 6 specific characters I have in mind (one of them debuted in "Brawl", but one of them from "Melee" was cut). I guess I can accept a Screen KO with a taunt as an okay ending, but still...

Last edited:

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
I find the upper black KO's to be rather unsatisfying compared to a Star or Screen KO. They're good for quick gameplay and getting back into the action (especially after a salty stock loss), but I do wish that Star/Screen KO's were more frequent.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Please do not carry on with off-topic arguments on this thread. If you have nothing nice to say, keep it to yourself. If you have a problem with another user, contact them via PM or contact the moderation. Replying to spam/trolling/flaming can be a warnable/infractable offense. Carrying on with said conversation will result in bigger infractions so please keep this in mind.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Screen/star KO's are the best since they allow me to teabag/dashdance/disrespect my opponent if I'm playing against a little kid or some lame Chrom.

tiberus8

Smash Cadet
I had done a goal from "Smash 64" through netplay back in 2015, which involved getting an intentional Star KO at the end of the match with an intentional taunt from 4 specific characters, which was actually part of my goal. I can definitely do that same goal in "Melee", with 5 specific characters I have in mind. But with how the developers lessened the RNG factor of Star KOs, it'll be way more frustrating than it needs to be for me to get that strong ending in "Ultimate", with 6 specific characters I have in mind (one of them debuted in "Brawl", but one of them from "Melee" was cut). I guess I can accept a Screen KO with a taunt as an okay ending, but still...
Care to tell what your goal was from Smash 64 that involved ending with those specific types?

William5000000

Smash Journeyman
Care to tell what your goal was from Smash 64 that involved ending with those specific types?
Well...I don't want to embarrass myself, but...what the heck. Since this is my last thread on this topic, I'll tell my goal: it's the 999% match/goal. Basically, it's me trying to get 999% damage on specific characters (particularly cute ones like Yoshi, Pikachu, Kirby, and Jigglypuff...to me at least), while the other person plays like normal in a match. I used Mario for that goal. Part of my goal included getting an intentional Star KO at the end of the match with an intentional taunt from those characters after torturing Mario on the last stock while they were at 999% damage with all 7 stocks. There are more that were part of my goal, but I won't go into full details here. The person was more than willing to help me out, and surprisingly, she had lots of fun helping me with the 999% match/goal. Oh, and it had to be on another player, not a CPU.

I can definitely do that same goal in "Melee", with 5 specific characters I have in mind (same 4 characters from "Smash 64", and another character Pichu added to my 'cuties' list). It may be harder, but it shouldn't be frustrating for me to get that same strong ending from those characters. I imagine not much patience is needed from the other person willing to help me out.

But in "Ultimate"... *sigh* it'll be way more frustrating than it needs to be for me to get that same strong ending from 6 specific characters I have in mind (same 4 characters from "Smash 64", 1 character from "Melee" being Pichu, and 1 character who debuted in "Brawl" being Diddy Kong added to my 'cuties' list). The other person willing to help me out will have to be extremely patient.

I really don't want to change what I did from "Smash 64", getting an intentional Star KO at the end of the match with an intentional taunt from those specific characters (and 2 more, one from "Melee" and one from "Brawl").

So, yeah, that's my goal, which I admit it's odd and I think it's quite embarrassing, seeing as it's never been done before. I worked very hard on it, and I want to continue with that in "Melee" and... *sigh* "Ultimate". Please don't be mean, everyone.

Last edited:

KingBroly

Smash Lord
I prefer characters being smushed up in front of the stage like an old-school cartoon

tiberus8

Smash Cadet
Well...I don't want to embarrass myself, but...what the heck. Since this is my last thread on this topic, I'll tell my goal: it's the 999% match/goal. Basically, it's me trying to get 999% damage on specific characters (particularly cute ones like Yoshi, Pikachu, Kirby, and Jigglypuff...to me at least), while the other person plays like normal in a match. I used Mario for that goal. Part of my goal included getting an intentional Star KO at the end of the match with an intentional taunt from those characters after torturing Mario on the last stock while they were at 999% damage with all 7 stocks. There are more that were part of my goal, but I won't go into full details here. The person was more than willing to help me out, and surprisingly, she had lots of fun helping me with the 999% match/goal. Oh, and it had to be on another player, not a CPU.

I can definitely do that same goal in "Melee", with 5 specific characters I have in mind (same 4 characters from "Smash 64", and another character Pichu added to my 'cuties' list). It may be harder, but it shouldn't be frustrating for me to get that same strong ending from those characters. I imagine not much patience is needed from the other person willing to help me out.

But in "Ultimate"... *sigh* it'll be way more frustrating than it needs to be for me to get that same strong ending from 6 specific characters I have in mind (same 4 characters from "Smash 64", 1 character from "Melee" being Pichu, and 1 character who debuted in "Brawl" being Diddy Kong added to my 'cuties' list). The other person willing to help me out will have to be extremely patient.

I really don't want to change what I did from "Smash 64", getting an intentional Star KO at the end of the match with an intentional taunt from those specific characters (and 2 more, one from "Melee" and one from "Brawl").

So, yeah, that's my goal, which I admit it's odd and I think it's quite embarrassing, seeing as it's never been done before. I worked very hard on it, and I want to continue with that in "Melee" and... *sigh* "Ultimate". Please don't be mean, everyone.
Now I'm curious. You said you did it with the intention of ending with a Star KO from certain characters. So if you don't mind me asking, can you provide a video link to your "999% match/goal"?

D

Deleted member

I prefer screen KOs since to me they look good and it is the only time I do a taunt. Star KOs come second, so****e, Blast KOs I am indifferent. At the end of the day, though, why should it be a big deal so long as you scored the KO (and yes, I am aware of the scenario with :ultjigglypuff:'s rest)?

Sayonara :kirby:

William5000000

Smash Journeyman
Now I'm curious. You said you did it with the intention of ending with a Star KO from certain characters. So if you don't mind me asking, can you provide a video link to your "999% match/goal"?
I'll provide everything.

Here:
Yoshi - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCFVROv_goM ~ Go to 12:27 (torture), 14:39 (intentional Star KO ending)
Pikachu - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrZcu9JjEuQ ~ Go to 11:18 (torture), 15:23 (intentional Star KO ending)
Kirby - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3QidGwDmcs ~ Go to 11:39 (torture), 14:16 (intentional Star KO ending)
Jigglypuff - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NzNmfu0eHw ~ Go to 11:26 (torture), 13:24 (intentional Star KO ending)

Again, please don't be mean, everyone. I worked very hard on it.

William5000000

Smash Journeyman
I prefer screen KOs since to me they look good and it is the only time I do a taunt. Star KOs come second, so****e, Blast KOs I am indifferent. At the end of the day, though, why should it be a big deal so long as you scored the KO (and yes, I am aware of the scenario with :ultjigglypuff:'s rest)?

Sayonara :kirby:
It may not be a big deal in general, but to those (including myself) who enjoy Star KOs/Screen KOs since "Smash 64", it's a big deal. Now that the upper Blast KOs have been added in the mix (mostly for competitive players) since "Smash 4", we practically can't enjoy them in matches whenever we want anymore without relying on certain items like the Boss Galaga and the Beetle, or certain attacks like Giga Bowser Punch. They're not iconic anymore. And yes, there are videos of Star KOs and Screen KOs, and there is a sound test for listening to Star KO sounds, but that doesn't change the fact that they're not iconic anymore. Sorry to say, but I speak the truth.

If someone can prove me wrong on how to get Star KOs/Screen KOs WITHOUT relying on certain items or certain attacks, I'll be more than happy. And no, I'm not counting that old 8-Player Smash starting at certain percentage using a Hammer at a set launch rate trick. It's got to be original.

----------

On the competitive side, it's still a mess for everyone. Star KOs/Screen KOs can cause unfair losses, distinct advantages and disadvantages (mostly disadvantages for competitive players), team battles getting swayed by them (a player getting 1v2'd or the other team heals during those animations), et cetera. Nobody likes unfair RNG. That's another reason why it's a big deal. One of those reasons prove it in that clip on Reddit that happened recently. And it certainly won't be the last time that happens, unless it gets addressed in the future.

Last edited:

tiberus8

Smash Cadet
I'll provide everything.

Here:
Yoshi - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCFVROv_goM ~ Go to 12:27 (torture), 14:39 (intentional Star KO ending)
Pikachu - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrZcu9JjEuQ ~ Go to 11:18 (torture), 15:23 (intentional Star KO ending)
Kirby - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3QidGwDmcs ~ Go to 11:39 (torture), 14:16 (intentional Star KO ending)
Jigglypuff - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NzNmfu0eHw ~ Go to 11:26 (torture), 13:24 (intentional Star KO ending)

Again, please don't be mean, everyone. I worked very hard on it.
I watched the videos, and I think they're pretty interesting. But I never thought you'd be on a different wavelength. A long list of arbitrary things to do can make that person not want to help you on your goal, unless he/she has lots of patience. If they're not arbitrary, then I encourage trying to explain why the steps are important. And I don't think it's embarrassing, though I can understand if you feel that way about it because others may not understand, as it's very different.

The way I see it, it's both a challenge and a ritual. I mean, like you're creating conditions that channel your feelings for achieving satisfaction. And I'm guessing that each step became attached to the satisfaction. So now you're looking for something that can keep it going or take it to the next level.

That's my thought of it anyway, which can change. And I think that if you're to see that they're conditions you made, you can modify the process/challenge or even change the goal entirely, and still a journey you'd enjoy to fulfill, like to adapt to what's possible. From what I'm seeing in SSBU, especially at the end of a match, getting an intentional Star KO or a Screen KO seems unlikely, as I think they've been toned down for that climax slow motion kill feature. That sucks for you.

Anyway, congrats on your 999% match/goal in SSB. Props to you for that dedication. And good luck on that same goal for SSBM and SSBU.

Actually, this makes me wonder... Why have you skipped SSBB and SSB4 for the same goal?

Mischiiii

Smash Apprentice
In 1v1 i prefer star and screen because you have more time to charge a move or get into position for the respawning enemy. If there are more than two players i prefer star and blast ko because i want to see the stage and a screen ko is preventing me to do so.

William5000000

Smash Journeyman
I watched the videos, and I think they're pretty interesting. But I never thought you'd be on a different wavelength. A long list of arbitrary things to do can make that person not want to help you on your goal, unless he/she has lots of patience. If they're not arbitrary, then I encourage trying to explain why the steps are important. And I don't think it's embarrassing, though I can understand if you feel that way about it because others may not understand, as it's very different.

The way I see it, it's both a challenge and a ritual. I mean, like you're creating conditions that channel your feelings for achieving satisfaction. And I'm guessing that each step became attached to the satisfaction. So now you're looking for something that can keep it going or take it to the next level.

That's my thought of it anyway, which can change. And I think that if you're to see that they're conditions you made, you can modify the process/challenge or even change the goal entirely, and still a journey you'd enjoy to fulfill, like to adapt to what's possible. From what I'm seeing in SSBU, especially at the end of a match, getting an intentional Star KO or a Screen KO seems unlikely, as I think they've been toned down for that climax slow motion kill feature. That sucks for you.

Anyway, congrats on your 999% match/goal in SSB. Props to you for that dedication. And good luck on that same goal for SSBM and SSBU.

Actually, this makes me wonder... Why have you skipped SSBB and SSB4 for the same goal?
In "Melee", it's not going to be too much of a problem for me to end the 999% match/goal with an intentional Star KO, since Screen KOs are rare. The character can taunt during the Star KO animation, which is what I want for my goal.

If I ever get around to doing that goal for "Ultimate", I'll have to find some way to end the 999.0% match/goal with an intentional Star KO (or a Screen KO if I end up accepting that one). The character can taunt during those animations, which is what I want for my goal. Blast KO ending, however, is completely unacceptable, and would definitely be an automatic restart.

----------

Thanks. I'm going to need it, especially for "Ultimate".

As for your question on why I'm skipping "Brawl" and "Smash 4" for my 999% match/goal, it's quite simple.

"Brawl" has random tripping mechanics, which is generally disliked. The matches are slow-paced and defensive, which people dislike, especially if they play "Melee" competitively. Plus, it's missing Pichu from "Melee". I could do the goal in that "Smash" game, but I don't want to deal with random tripping.

"Smash 4" has the Rage mechanic (from 35% damage to 150% damage), which proved to be too powerful in most cases. The random untechable spinning animation (at 100% damage and above) made it worse. And again, it's missing Pichu from "Melee". I could do the goal in that "Smash" game, but the Rage would be too big of a problem, and I don't want to deal with random untechable spinning animation.

So, yeah, those are the reasons why I'm skipping "Brawl" and "Smash 4". I don't have those "Smash" games, and I absolutely have no intention of getting them, especially "Smash 4".

Last edited:

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
Screens KOs for comedy value (though there are a few great voice clips for star KOs)

Can also be a life saver if the opponent is KO'd during the animation as I recently experienced

William5000000

Smash Journeyman
Screens KOs for comedy value (though there are a few great voice clips for star KOs)

Can also be a life saver if the opponent is KO'd during the animation as I recently experienced
I'm guessing you got a lucky win, seeing as the opponent got unlucky. While that may be beneficial for some people, you can't help but feel bad for the other player who lost unfairly.

William5000000

Smash Journeyman
Well, it seems most people prefer Star KOs/Screen KOs over upper Blast KOs. Can't say that I blame them. Too bad they're not iconic anymore. :(

Maybe they were iconic back when HAL Laboratory developed the first two "Smash" games (three if you count "Brawl", developed by Sora Ltd, despite it being a bad game for competitive play). But they're certainly not iconic now.

We'll just have to wait for a patch update, where they address the issue for casuals and competitive players. We're currently at the mercy of them changing it.

And for the record, I still don't think the developers will go out of their way to make Star KOs/Screen KOs count as already KO'd as soon as the opponent crosses the upper blast line. I believe only a mod would change that. I was one of those people who were up for it back in 2018 (though I wasn't fond of that idea), but I learned the hard way when someone told me how modding was a bad idea in general and how Nintendo were banning a lot more Switches for that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom