• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you prefer one Samus over the other? If so, why?

Which one do you prefer?

• Total voters

febLey

Smash Cadet
NNID
febLey
Hi there,
so I was fiddling around with both Samus for the last few days.

From what I've read Dark Samus seems to be objectively a bit better.
Their frame data and attributes seem to be identical.
DS has a 3 frames faster roll and can hit small characters with a baby CS,
while Samus F-Smash has a bit more range and is a tiny bit smaller.

But somehow DS to me feels very floaty and sluggish, while Samus feels faster and snappier.
Am I imagining things? Are these just the animations that are throwing me off?

For that reason I think prefer Samus.

Urgoz

Smash Rookie
I feel it is the animations. Dark Samus is all graceful and floaty, movements seamlessly flow one after the other with her. OG Samus feels more "grounded", she braces herself when shooting stuff to compensate for recoil, while dark samus just lifts her cannon and its like "ugh whatever here's a missile". etc. It's just the animations.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I feel it is the animations. Dark Samus is all graceful and floaty, movements seamlessly flow one after the other with her. OG Samus feels more "grounded", she braces herself when shooting stuff to compensate for recoil, while dark samus just lifts her cannon and its like "ugh whatever here's a missile". etc. It's just the animations.
The super missile firing animation makes me think it's more ''I don't really know how this suit and it's weapons work or how to move a human body efficiently but I'm so powerful I don't need to.''

Downshift

Smash Journeyman
This. Couldn't have said it better myself.

KX17

Smash Rookie
I have thought that Samus seems more faster in terms of initial dash. Also I prefer Samus since I havw already gotten used to backflipping with her. Unlike Damus, Samus’s hitbox is smaller when you jump backwards.

E.Lopez

Smash Journeyman
NNID
roykoopa64
It's going to take me a while playing both characters to really have a preference one way or another. it's hard to say right now.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Dark Samus animations are too cool, and that victory screen where she splits in two, and join back in one? It is just too good.

Lorisaur

Smash Cadet
I usually use Dark Samus for her roll and height, I sometimes switch to regular Samus because I'm a nostalgic but I have a stronger feeling with the dark one right now

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I watched a video comparing speeds on big blue and apparently because Dark Samus floats, she has better acceleration.

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
I’m not a Samus player but I know Dark Samus’s projectiles shoot lower so she’s able to hit a crouching Pichu/Pikachu which might be a big deal

Lorisaur

Smash Cadet
I've just seen that ESAM still uses Samus over Dark Samus. Why do you think he chooses the regular one? Of course not for the F-smash. Do you think that having a better hurtbox shifting in some situations makes her better than the dark counterpart?

Varia31

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Varia31
Kinda depends on my mood, really. Dark Samus is certainly cooler to look at, and she reps Metroid Prime, which I love. But Samus does feel a little faster, and she's been my main since 64, so I will never stop using her. Since Dark Samus is a tad floatier I tend to play a bit slower with her, but I run and jump around more with Samus.

Reila

I've just seen that ESAM still uses Samus over Dark Samus. Why do you think he chooses the regular one? Of course not for the F-smash. Do you think that having a better hurtbox shifting in some situations makes her better than the dark counterpart?
Because he likes Samus more? The fact he plays Samus at all means he is not always all that concerned about which fighter is better.

Omnos

Smash Cadet
I prefer Samus. I don't find the 3 frame advantage from rolls for dsamus good enough to justify using her. Even though I think she looks cooler.

The added f smash range is nice. One thing I never see people mention when comparing the two is their jumps. Samus' backwards jump and DJ roll her into a ball, decreasing her hitbox, which is really nice. I also find I have slightly more control with Samus' dash.

It's convenient that they might both have small niche MUs where they are interchangeable.

Yojimbosan

Smash Cadet
NNID
Yojimbosan
I like original Samus the best. The biggest reason is I just like her a lot more than Dark Samus for aesthetic purposes. The color selections all reference her different games which tugs at my retro heart strings. She's one of the characters I've always used since 64 so she just feels good to me. I can do with the slightly worse roll by reminding my self not to roll like a crazy person in the first place.
Having said that, I'm super happy they doubled the amount of Metroid characters in the game. And they added in Castlevania too! The best games series are getting a lot of love in this Smash.

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
Dark Samus, legit one of the most rad designs I’ve ever seen in a fighting game, really wish I could learn to use her properly but I currently suck with her

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
Dark Samus' animations throw me off too much; she appears much too floaty even though there's actually no difference. Foreign and unnatural.

Samus feels crisp and smooth- so I exclusively play her.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
I like original Samus better, but Dark Samus is just straight up better due to having 3 frame faster rolls and better hitboxes on some of her moves. It was such a missed opportunity to also give Dark Samus that buff in the last patch, I was all like "finally I can justify playing regular Samus" but nope!

Reila

I like original Samus better, but Dark Samus is just straight up better due to having 3 frame faster rolls and better hitboxes on some of her moves. It was such a missed opportunity to also give Dark Samus that buff in the last patch, I was all like "finally I can justify playing regular Samus" but nope!
You can still play Samus, no one is stopping you.

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
The only difference is a BRoll that is 3 frames faster, and hurtbox/hitbox placement is a tad lower than Samus; allowing Dark Samus to hit crouching characters such as Pichu with a Charge Shot, even little ones. I do not think the actual hitbox data or utility are any different.

YSoSalty?

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-3743-1738-5788
I have no idea nor do I care who Dark Samus is.

I main Samus because Super Metroid is my favorite game of all time. I got it shortly after release for my tenth birthday. My friends and I were so hyped for this game after reading about it in Nintendo Power and we knew I was getting it as a gift. We spent the whole day and night devouring pizza and Mountain Dew and exploring planet Zebes. I still get goosebumps sometimes when I hear some of the music from that game.

aozf05

Smash Cadet
OG Samus. Been playing her since 64, before I'd ever heard of Metroid, mainly just because I liked her charge beam and screw attack. Only got good with her in Brawl. Playing Samus in Smash is the reason I got into the Metroid series and I'm now a diehard fan of Zero Mission and Super Metroid.

I get that people like Dark Samus because of Metroid Prime or because she's dark and edgy and to that I say "pffft screw that. OG is where it's at"

Plus OG Samus has better alt colors

comfortable_lamp

Smash Cadet
I feel like dark samus' animations are weird. They're too floaty compared to samus. Idk if anyone will understand this, but it kind of feels like walking underwater. However, I do like dark samus just because he's shorter, making his cs and up smash hit more often.

D

Deleted member

As a Metroid fan, I am really pleased with both Dark Samus and Samus.

While Dark Samus is really awesome and transmits the creepy vibes of the character from the Prime series decently enough, I am biased for good old Samus.

Mostly due to the Fusion suit colour pallette.

Michael48

Smash Rookie
I prefer Dark Samus for the roll, lower projectiles, dtilt shield stun, and the synthwave colour palette.

Last edited:

Bobert

"...And His Music Was Electric"
NNID
MetallicBlur
Switch FC
SW-1415-6753-4608
Love Samus for the Light Suit Color. Even had it as my profile picture for a few years during the Smash 4 days...but I like Dark Samus even more for the silver skin, lower hitboxes, taunts, victory theme, animations, and victory screens. Samus has some generic action poses while Dark Samus has a lot of lore and references behind her taunts and victory screens. The SA-X reference in particular in one of the victory screens is so sick

Top Bottom