• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legend of Zelda Do you like Skyward Sword?

Skyward Sword: Yes or No

• Yes

Votes: 50 82.0%
  • No

Votes: 11 18.0%

• Total voters

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
I wanted to like Skyward Sword. I can't remember ever being so hyped for a game to come out. The dungeons were amazing as always. Some of the areas, like Lanayru Desert, had a really cool gameplay mechanics. There's a lot of fun callbacks (call forwards?) to previous (future? Zelda Timeline, everyone!) games. However, the motion controls had horrendous lag, it's nearly impossible to not know where to go next, and the lore implications make me want to pretend SS never happened. Bosses, for the most part, stick strictly to the Zelda formula. There's no real danger of running out of supplies, so you don't need to stock up on arrows/bombs/potions or worry if you go into a dungeon or boss fight without them (though this is more of a Zelda problem in general than a SS problem). The Beetle almost always lists one direction or another. If you recalibrate before you use it, it still does it, just slightly less. The cursor's reliance on motion rather than an IR pointer means that you'll have to recenter it almost every time before you can actually aim at something on the screen.

There's an overall feeling of being railroaded. This is really apparent with the Beetle. In areas where the designers want you to use it, it can fly practically indefinitely. If you're in an area where the designers want you to solve the problem another way, the Beetle either has a very short leash or its flight time suddenly runs out as you get close to the forbidden area. It really gets on my nerves because it's just flat-out poor game design. Either you don't give the player such a versatile, useful item or you design the game while remembering that the player has such a versatile, useful item.

There's an overall feeling of padding. There's always some reason you can't go straight to the next objective. This is especially bizarre since the designers took great pains to make sure you can go near any wilderness area you want at any time. You want to go into that giant swirling cloud? You need to make this beacon shoot light into it. Oh, you can't do that yet, you need to go repair it! The part fell to the earth a long time ago. Okay, cool, that must be what that weird thing on Eldin was, I'll just go there. Oh, I can't put this in my pack like the hundreds of rupees I'm carrying around, arrows, bombs, bugs, and these Lizalfos tails. I have to get an extinct flower to oil a robot to carry it up. No, I can't just go ask a water dragon whose life I saved to sing for me. I have to collect tadpoles first. No, I can't go to the next fire temple, even though I'm pretty sure where it is, I have to do a stealth section first. Every time the plot makes you go to the Sealed Grounds, you need to fight the same guy. Padding is ever-present in Skyward Sword.

I think I mentioned lore problems earlier. This game's lore is completely ****ed. Or rather, it's ****ed up the other games' lore. Nowhere are Din, Nayru, or Farore mentioned anywhere in the game. People won't shut up about Hylia. Hylia is never mentioned or alluded to anywhere else in the series (except Hyrule Warriors, which isn't canon). If Hyrule's cosmology was presented more like a multiple-choice past, where each game's people believe slightly different things based on which legends were in vogue at the time, I could see this as working. However, keeping it consistent since the third game and suddenly changing it 10 games later is a blatant retcon. The Triforce is completely disrespected. It's a plot coupon and nothing more. You don't get any new abilities, nor does it give you any power-up at all. You just get it out of an inexplicable treasure chest (why would the golden goddesses put their sacred power in an unlocked chest?) in the wrong location (the Silent Realm as opposed to the Sacred Realm). Remember Wind Waker? When the three Triforce pieces were assembled, and whoever made their wish determined the fate of the world? That's respect. The Triforce of Power alone grants immortality, and Ganondorf used it to strengthen his magic significantly. That's the power of the gods. This is just a disgrace.

Speaking of Ganondorf, oh WOW was he treated badly here. He's no longer a thief who, through cunning and greed, stole the power of the gods. No, he's the result of a curse by his knockoff. Remember the rage about the Zant fakeout? TP had this great, imposing, cool new villain... Then Ganondorf said "lol nope its me gaiz". Everyone was annoyed, and rightly so. Zant was incredibly threatening and there was no setup at all besides Midna saying "This magic is a bit different than what Twili normally use". Now, imagine if you do the Zant fakeout again, but take away the setup altogether and do it one of the most iconic villains in gaming. You think Smash disrespected Ganondorf by making him a Captain Falcon clone? Imagine a canon game completely trivializing him. At least his Smash moveset vaguely reflects him in the games - He's not very quick, but hes insanely powerful. Skyward Sword turns him into a complete joke.

If you don't account for lore, Skyward Sword is a pretty mediocre game. The dungeons are well-designed, and there's a lot of neat gameplay elements thrown around, but it often falls flat in execution. In a meta example, it's like the Tentalus boss battle. Going into it, it looks like it's going to be amazing - But when you actually get out of the ship and see what the boss (game) really is and what you do, it's a major letdown. If you do take lore into account, it's simply rage inducing, because it's not content to **** up its own lore, but to destroy the lore of the entire series.

Last edited:

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace
Speaking of Ganondorf, oh WOW was he treated badly here. He's no longer a thief who, through cunning and greed, stole the power of the gods. No, he's the result of a curse by his knockoff. Remember the rage about the Zant fakeout? TP had this great, imposing, cool new villain... Then Ganondorf said "lol nope its me gaiz". Everyone was annoyed, and rightly so. Zant was incredibly threatening and there was no setup at all besides Midna saying "This magic is a bit different than what Twili normally use". Now, imagine if you do the Zant fakeout again, but take away the setup altogether and do it one of the most iconic villains in gaming. You think Smash disrespected Ganondorf by making him a Captain Falcon clone? Imagine a canon game completely trivializing him. At least his Smash moveset vaguely reflects him in the games - He's not very quick, but hes insanely powerful. Skyward Sword turns him into a complete joke.
God, I hate what they did to him in this game. I thought his treatment in the Smash games was bad enough, but this is even worse. At least Ganondorf is treated with respect in Hyrule Warriors. Otherwise, Nintendo would've made one of their most iconic villains into nothing more than a joke. I hope he isn't treated this way in the new Zelda game coming up.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
^Agreed. The Twilight Princess Medley made me realize how amazing the music is in that game, if only Nintendo had done it justice in game with actually good samples.

I wanted to like Skyward Sword. I can't remember ever being so hyped for a game to come out. The dungeons were amazing as always. Some of the areas, like Lanayru Desert, had a really cool gameplay mechanics. There's a lot of fun callbacks (call forwards?) to previous (future? Zelda Timeline, everyone!) games. However, the motion controls had horrendous lag, it's nearly impossible to not know where to go next, and the lore implications make me want to pretend SS never happened. Bosses, for the most part, stick strictly to the Zelda formula. There's no real danger of running out of supplies, so you don't need to stock up on arrows/bombs/potions or worry if you go into a dungeon or boss fight without them (though this is more of a Zelda problem in general than a SS problem). The Beetle almost always lists one direction or another. If you recalibrate before you use it, it still does it, just slightly less. The cursor's reliance on motion rather than an IR pointer means that you'll have to recenter it almost every time before you can actually aim at something on the screen.

There's an overall feeling of being railroaded. This is really apparent with the Beetle. In areas where the designers want you to use it, it can fly practically indefinitely. If you're in an area where the designers want you to solve the problem another way, the Beetle either has a very short leash or its flight time suddenly runs out as you get close to the forbidden area. It really gets on my nerves because it's just flat-out poor game design. Either you don't give the player such a versatile, useful item or you design the game while remembering that the player has such a versatile, useful item.

There's an overall feeling of padding. There's always some reason you can't go straight to the next objective. This is especially bizarre since the designers took great pains to make sure you can go near any wilderness area you want at any time. You want to go into that giant swirling cloud? You need to make this beacon shoot light into it. Oh, you can't do that yet, you need to go repair it! The part fell to the earth a long time ago. Okay, cool, that must be what that weird thing on Eldin was, I'll just go there. Oh, I can't put this in my pack like the hundreds of rupees I'm carrying around, arrows, bombs, bugs, and these Lizalfos tails. I have to get an extinct flower to oil a robot to carry it up. No, I can't just go ask a water dragon whose life I saved to sing for me. I have to collect tadpoles first. No, I can't go to the next fire temple, even though I'm pretty sure where it is, I have to do a stealth section first. Every time the plot makes you go to the Sealed Grounds, you need to fight the same guy. Padding is ever-present in Skyward Sword.

I think I mentioned lore problems earlier. This game's lore is completely ****ed. Or rather, it's ****ed up the other games' lore. Nowhere are Din, Nayru, or Farore mentioned anywhere in the game. People won't shut up about Hylia. Hylia is never mentioned or alluded to anywhere else in the series (except Hyrule Warriors, which isn't canon). If Hyrule's cosmology was presented more like a multiple-choice past, where each game's people believe slightly different things based on which legends were in vogue at the time, I could see this as working. However, keeping it consistent since the third game and suddenly changing it 10 games later is a blatant retcon. The Triforce is completely disrespected. It's a plot coupon and nothing more. You don't get any new abilities, nor does it give you any power-up at all. You just get it out of an inexplicable treasure chest (why would the golden goddesses put their sacred power in an unlocked chest?) in the wrong location (the Silent Realm as opposed to the Sacred Realm). Remember Wind Waker? When the three Triforce pieces were assembled, and whoever made their wish determined the fate of the world? That's respect. The Triforce of Power alone grants immortality, and Ganondorf used it to strengthen his magic significantly (or grant him magic to begin with, it's unclear). That's the power of the gods. This is just a disgrace.

If you don't account for lore, Skyward Sword is a pretty mediocre game. The dungeons are well-designed, and there's a lot of neat gameplay elements thrown around, but it often falls flat in execution. In a meta example, it's like the Tentalus boss battle. Going into it, it looks like it's going to be amazing - But when you actually get out of the ship and see what the boss (game) really is and what you do, it's a major letdown. If you do take lore into account, it's simply rage inducing, because it's not content to **** up its own lore, but to destroy the lore of the entire series.

Nintendoid

Smash Rookie
for me I enjoyed the game, just hated the controls... but hated most controls which didn't allow a pad to be used on the Wii. Think if the game was released on Wii U with standard control system (using a controller) the game would be much more playable!!

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
I enjoyed Skyward Sword a lot. I don't really understand how people came up with high expectations for the motion controls. The game came out in 2011. We have had 5 years of playing games with the Wii hardware, and I feel like everyone eventually figured out the limitations of motion control. Even still, I've heard people complain about the sword being not truly 1-to-1 ("Hey! I wanna swipe their feet!"), but I think the slight limitation was purposeful and useful to control boundaries and make game play flow right. The motion controls do mess up in two ways, I'll agree. #1, when you equip an item, it recalibrates for some reason, so you're stuck holding your wii remote at an awkward angle until you fix it. #2, it shows it's face in places it didn't belong (ie. flying, swimming, and that harp minigame).

I was pleasantly surprised that they didn't 100% follow their usual OoT dungeon template (forest, fire, water, sand, ice, spooky, etc.) and mixed it up a little. I would say that dungeon 2 was the most disappointing because it was pretty stereotypical of a 3D dungeon #2. Furthermore, I enjoyed all the dungeons (except 2) and enemies and felt like the game scaled in difficulty appropriately enough.

The storyline and Fi are probably the worst parts. It's great to see Zelda with an actual character this time around. Unfortunately, the person you're stuck with far more, Fi, lacks a personality at all. Not to mention, she does do FAR TOO MUCH HAND HOLDING. That is truly the single worst part about this game. Her dumb unprovoked hints and then the camera basically pointing to the answer to the puzzle each time you enter a room. It takes away a lot of the ingenuity from beating the game. Yeah, the overall storyline is pretty generic, but I think we would be kidding ourselves if we were to say that Zelda often has a deep storyline. It has almost always been rescue the princess, keep the thingy-majig out of the hands of evil, then save the land. There are exceptions to this rule (Everything in Wind Waker, All the amazing implied stuff in Majora's Mask, Midna's character development throughout Twilight Princess), but then there is A Link to the Past / Ocarina of Time's classic formula that has been the base for everything else, which was also based on the original LoZ for the NES.

Skyward Sword definitely has the community split about how good it is. Unlike Wind Waker, which started off as a turn-off to many, but grew a large dedicated fan base, I don't know if Skyward Sword will ever be liked by the majority. One thing I find interesting about Skyward Sword's impact on the fan base, is it helps me see all the different things people look for in a Zelda game. Skyward Sword excelled at some aspects and failed at others, and depending on who you ask, the mistakes are forgivable or they are not, and the excellence is outstanding or not important.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Everyone hates Skyward Sword only because the world disappointed them.

But I still say this: YOU'RE PLAYING ZELDA FOR THE WRONG REASON IF YOU'RE EXPECTING A GOOD OVERWORLD.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace

But I still say this: YOU'RE PLAYING ZELDA FOR THE WRONG REASON IF YOU'RE EXPECTING A GOOD OVERWORLD.
Link to the Past says hi.

Even if someone was only playing for the dungeons, those are rather underwhelming too. The only time someone could reasonably expect to get stumped, your sword fairy comes out and straight-up tells the solution. If she somehow doesn't, just use the Beetle if you're not sure how to open the next room.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Link to the Past says hi.

Even if someone was only playing for the dungeons, those are rather underwhelming too. The only time someone could reasonably expect to get stumped, your sword fairy comes out and straight-up tells the solution. If she somehow doesn't, just use the Beetle if you're not sure how to open the next room.
Really? I never remember Fi really helping me on the puzzles, even if I tried to ask.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
Really? I never remember Fi really helping me on the puzzles, even if I tried to ask.
When you go into a new area, she'll sometimes point out something that's either puzzle-critical or blindingly obvious (bonus points if it's both).

Quillion

Smash Hero
When you go into a new area, she'll sometimes point out something that's either puzzle-critical or blindingly obvious (bonus points if it's both).
Blatantly obvious, but it never seems to help with the puzzles themselves (where you have to piece them together yourself).

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974

My problems with Skyward Sword had literally nothing to do with the overworld and much more to do with way too much hand-holding and overexplanation for things I already knew how to do, mechanics that I found tedious and annoying (stamina restricting how long you could move quicker, shield breaking) plus controls that did not work well for me. There were definite positive aspects to the game, but it was constantly frustrating me throughout gameplay (whether it was through my own faults or not doesn't matter, because regardless it wasn't too fun an experience for me). Perhaps you've encountered the overworld thing a lot, but there's plenty of discussion of the game in this very thread that doesn't center around that point and it's not fair to make that generalization.

Also, if it's something a person gets enjoyment out of, I don't see how it's "the wrong reason" to play a game...it doesn't have to be something you care about for it to be something that others validly care about.

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
I don't like it at all. It is the only Zelda game so far that I have started but not completed; the reason for this is that it bored me too much for me to continue.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
It's among my favorite Zelda games.

I don't know why people had problems with the controls.

I mastered them in 20 minutes.

Can't explain why, just did.

Maybe I'm Superman or something I dunno.

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
It's currently my favorite Zelda game in the series. Despite the ****ty motion controls, I still enjoyed the **** out of it from beginning to end. I've beaten a few times both on the regular quest and on Hero Mode.

CptJPuff

Smash Journeyman
The inaccurate controls ruin the game. The rest is all decent, but it's probably rock bottom for the Zelda franchise.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
☯ Only three things I didn't like about this game, (escort part, stealth part, fighting the same boss three... no six times), other than that, I like this game.

TimeChain

Smash Apprentice
NNID
777brawlfan
3DS FC
4484-9816-4641
I really love Skyward Sword. I love the dungeons, bosses, story, characters, graphics, music, and heck, I must own some of the most accurate Wii Remotes and sensors because the motion controls didn't gave me that much of a problem. I don't really care if this game or Zelda games in general are linear. As long as I'm having a good time, I'm good to go. But hey, its my opinion. Maybe I just have dumb tastes and I'm really good with motion controls :p.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
I'm currently replaying Skyward Sword. It's not bad. Probably the second-weakest 3D Zelda after Majora's Mask (in my opinion - please don't kill me, Majora's Mask fandom), but only because of its somewhat sluggish pace. Zelda herself is at her best in this game, and Groose is one of the only two truly great, dynamic characters in the series's history (Midna being the other). The dungeons are also a lot of fun, especially the Ancient Cistern. And I kind of like farming for treasure to upgrade my items, especially the shields.

Probably the only things I really don't like are the Tadtones, the stealth mission in Eldin Volcano, and that bull**** blocks-and-bridges puzzle you have to solve before getting into the Isle of Songs.

Dowsing is totally optional so I never use it. I don't dislike Fi at all; I like that she lets you scan enemies to learn their weaknesses again, a highly underrated feature from the Nintendo 64 Zeldas.

Lastly... Why does everyone think Ganon is a reincarnation of Demise? He's totally not. Demise is trapped and decaying inside the Master Sword. Demise's curse just means that Link and Zelda will always be plagued by misfortune and evil or something like that. At least that's how I've always interpreted it. "An incarnation of my hate" could be anyone - Ganon, Vaati, Zant, Onox, Veran, or any other world-threatening bad guy.

EDIT regarding Zant: He was a clone of Ganondorf until it was revealed that Ganondorf was basically feeding him lines and telling him what to do at every turn. Only after the ruse was revealed did Zant become his own, more interesting character. The "shoehorned" Ganondorf "copout" was the best thing that could have happened to the guy. Now he's fun and interesting in Hyrule Warriors, instead of Cool Threatening Villain #2.

Last edited:

LightheartedBum

Smash Apprentice
I like a ton of stuff from Skyward Sword. The combat I adore, (but I found it a little simplistic) aside from the item upgrade system. I feel like a big problem with a lot of zelda games is that the items don't see a lot of use outside the dungeons. Upgrading basically every item felt like a total waste of time to be farming for materials. (Except for the bow, I absolutely love my fully upgraded bow and shield :D) I loved the whole premise of a floating academy, and the visuals are quite gorgeous. There's some amazing characters in Skyward Sword like Groose and Impa. I felt a huge sense of purpose with the plot fighting my way through dungeons. I also really like the way Link controls.

And that's about where I start to hate the game. I swear, if you could just switch Fi off, I might actually like Skyward Sword. She sucks. So much. I love her design and I love the idea of the Master Sword having a semi-sentient sort of keeper, but HOLY CRAP. SHUT UP.

I really feel like the level design and world design of Skyward Sword was absolutely terrible. I feel like that's what the most important thing in a Zelda game, and that's where Skyward Sword completely falls flat to me. Boring, small environments that you have to constantly return to with a fresh reskin and a gimmick. I was so hyped up for this game, and it just felt so boring to me outside of the excellent combat and climactic story moments. (Aside from journeying to the goddesses temple in the storm. Felt like that was a huge, huge letdown. I also felt like the bosses were pretty bad, except for the water temple one, and the midboss of the pirate ship. Girahiam was a GREAT first boss, too. He's amazing. And gotta say, the temple designs in this game were usually pretty good aside from some missteps in a couple. The water temple in SS is my favorite zelda dungeon. The Imprisoned goes down as my least favorite boss out of every single gosh darn game I've played. What a piece of trash. Everything about his fights are terribly designed and executed poorly. Why would you make the big bad of the game so dumb? Zero tension.

Where are Din and the like? I feel like there were a lot of missed opportunities lore and story wise. Sacrifices were made to make the story feel a little more personal I guess. I also didn't like any of the side creatures. Can't even remember their names. Also, timeshift stones were a great idea that they just didn't do much with I feel.

Side note, fighting Demise without a shield is super intense and great. Third favorite Zelda boss.

Didn't like Skyward Sword. Too many things just were dealbreakers for me. :[

Favorite thing about SS was the 25th Anniversary soundtrack it came with. So perfect, oh my gosh. The disk is sitting on my computer right now.

Last edited:

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
I think Fi gets far more hate than she deserves. She has a great design (reminds me of Raven from the 2003 Teen Titans cartoon, down to the gem on her forehead) and a really beautiful theme song. She's a little chatty and her personality isn't as engaging as Midna or the King of Red Lions, but you have to keep in mind that this is A) the Wii Zelda, and B) the earliest story, chronologically. Nintendo was inviting necomers and non-gamers to try the Zelda series for the first time. Of course there's going to be some hand-holding.

Also, dowsing is totally optional. I don't know why people don't realize this.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I have mixed feelings about Skyward Sword.
Cons:
Extremely linear
No night/day/weather cycles or dynamic lighting like TP.
I don't like the art style as well
including weird elements like robots was out of place for a medieval sword fighting game
The dragons were terrible (looking at you water dragon)
bad aiming
The nameless bird had no personality (unlike Epona) even though it was supposed to be a big part of the story
Generally small or lame bosses that didn't feel epic
Small confined areas

Pros:
Creative level/puzzle design and mechanics (time stones were awesome)
Great motion controlled swordplay
faster movement and parkour system
upgradable items and treasures
more interaction with environments
Garihim was awesome
fun menu you could access while moving
beacons of light
outside the box thinking

I admit I felt disappointed by SS but it was still a great game. It just doesn't make my top LoZ games list.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Small, lame bosses? Surely you don't mean Koloktos!

(Because he's huge and amazing.)

Rizen

Smash Legend
Small, lame bosses? Surely you don't mean Koloktos!

(Because he's huge and amazing.)
Granted he was a cool boss fight but many weren't as epic as Twilight Princess' bosses. The Imprisoned, Bilocyte and Tentalus were big but looked stupid imo.

Scaldera and Moldarach were more like mini-bosses and Girahim is fought 3 times, 2 of which are similar. Demise was really cool but a short fight you could beat in under 30 seconds. Also shield bashing was an OP answer to every attack.
I only felt like Demise, Girihim 2 and Koloktos were impressive. Most SS bosses weren't epic battles like past LoZ games had. :ohwell:

Last edited:

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
Granted he was a cool boss fight but many weren't as epic as Twilight Princess' bosses. The Imprisoned, Bilocyte and Tentalus were big but looked stupid imo.

Scaldera and Moldarach were more like mini-bosses and Girahim is fought 3 times, 2 of which are similar. Demise was really cool but a short fight you could beat in under 30 seconds. Also shield bashing was an OP answer to every attack.
I only felt like Demise, Girihim 2 and Koloktos were impressive. Most SS bosses weren't epic battles like past LoZ games had. :ohwell:
My thoughts on the Tentalus fight are my thoughts on the game - Going into it, it looks like it's going to be really cool, but when you finally fight the boss (get a few hours into the game) it's incredibly underwhelming and kind of lame.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
I thought Moldarach was really great, too. The only boss I really dislike is the obnoxious Imprisoned, especially in its second form. It's more tedious to fight than the third. (And I definitely don't think it's possible to beat Demise in under thirty seconds.)

If we're talking bosses, Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess, and Wind Waker have the best ones. In that order.

Sünta

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sünta_Foot
3DS FC
2234-7187-3957
It just felt like every single fight in the game was that sword play game in Wii sports. Most of the bosses were pretty cool and the dungeons were awesome, but everything else was either tedious (traveling between locations, dowsing for the next plot item) or straight up boring. Instead of having more dungeons to go to, the game makes you revisit the lands multiple times to revisit part of the dungeon to get an item. One can argue that this is a good thing. Being able to revisit past areas in the game with more equipment to explore more than what you could before, but here it seems like there wasn't much more you can explore. The goddess cubes are another issue. It makes no sense for you to go down on the surface to look for cubes and go back up to skyloft to collect the item in a chest. /rant
Despite saying all of that, I don't hate Skyward sword, I'd just rather not play it over the other zelda games.

Top Bottom