• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you guys think Mario needs a break for a while

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Since Super Mario 3D World flopped like a snapper on a deck on a hot Florida summer day, I've done some thinking, maybe Nintendo needs to make more games that don't involve Mario, just counting main entries there have been a huge amount released in the last few years (Not counting DK, Warioware or Yoshi, which would make much more), Mario isn't the system seller he once was, the SNES was getting walloped by the Genesis/Mega Drive until Star Fox and Donkey Kong Country were released, the N64 had Ocarina of Time , SF64, DK64, , Conker, Banjo-Kazooie, Goldeneye, and more. GCN didn't really have that many killer apps, Wii had Wii Sports, Wii Fit,Twilight Princess, and Brawl as sellers. Nintendo has been called kiddie, but underneath the glut of Mario's and Yoshi's, there is a great deal of more adult oriented IP's that have been neglected, Earthbound, F-Zero, Metroid, Star Fox, Eternal Darkness, Sin and Punishment, Golden Sun, and Punch-Out!

moneyfrenzy

Smash Ace
3d world didnt flop it sold over 1 mill, but it does need a break

Last edited:

etecoon

Smash Hero
3d world didnt flop it sold over 1 mill, but it does need a break
1 mil is a flop to Nintendo, that's why we can't get a new F-Zero or Star Fox in spite of those series' having millionth sellers

Obviously it's time to shelf Mario now too :awesome:

moneyfrenzy

Smash Ace
1 mil is a flop to Nintendo, that's why we can't get a new F-Zero or Star Fox in spite of those series' having millionth sellers

Obviously it's time to shelf Mario now too :awesome:
well given the install base for wii u is not that high, 1 mill is pretty good

§leepy God

Smash Master
Seeing I don't see any Mario main series sequels yet, I say they are taking a break for now. Mario 3D World didn't sell consoles because most people are waiting for Smash or Mario Kart to buy Wii Us. ^_^;

etecoon

Smash Hero
Seeing I don't see any Mario main series sequels yet, I say they are taking a break for now. Mario 3D World didn't sell consoles because most people are waiting for Smash or Mario Kart to buy Wii Us. ^_^;
They also already had NSMB and Rayman and now DKCTF, if you're a platformer nut you don't need more convincing to get a Wii U - Nintendo needs variety. Mario doesn't really need to take a hiatus or anything, but maybe slowing down the pace to allow more other titles may be wise. Mario games ultimately tend to be the type that everyone will buy but they may not a buy a console for, maybe you buy the console because you're a hardcore Zelda or Metroid fan but you wind up buying most of the Mario games too because it's another fun thing to spend your time on. It's frustrating that Nintendo seems to see no value in niche franchises now, when developing those titles can also help the sales of the more mainstream titles as well

Of course, for a single publisher Nintendo does do pretty well still, their biggest problem is that they continue to alienate third parties so that Nintendo games become 90% of the reason to buy a Nintendo console. Which also hampers Nintendo's own software sales, people avoid a console like the Wii U because it basically has one publisher going for it but many of those same people would probably buy some Mario and Zelda games if it didn't come at the expense of nearly every third party title

I also wouldn't count on Nintendo becoming any more adult oriented, in the N64 and GameCube eras they made some attempt to grow with their audience and it didn't work out, the Wii went to an extremely family oriented marketing strategy and it paid off. Of course, the N64 and GameCube failed for a myriad of other reasons(again, alienating third parties with non-standard approach to hardware and system specs...), but from Nintendo's perspective they have no reason to think that the child friendly image is something that needs to go-their most lucrative console thrived on that image. The Wii U failing is coincidental, they misread the market on it's gimmick and they named it badly and then didn't advertise it properly...though the former is something that couldn't have been fixed with marketing savvy to begin with, they simply couldn't predict what people were ready to embrace the way they did with the Wii

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Not untill I get my open world mario like SM64.

D

Deleted member

Mario still pumps out money for Nintendo. I doubt that Mario will ever take a break. Even still, while Mario is my favorite franchise, I am getting sick of the fact that we have been seeing a ton of Mario recently and older franchises haven't gotten any love. I love my 3D Marios and my Mario Karts, but we need other franchises to get some love like Star Fox and F-Zero.

I was absolutely horrified and shocked by Super Mario 3D World's poor sales. The Wii U is doing so bad that even Mario is having trouble saving it…

Jake The Preacher

The Amateur Preacher
I do think they need more than just Mario. These days all you see is Mario, DK, and Zelda really. I think they need to either make more games themselves or find more companies. I'd love new Starfox, I don't care for Metroid but people would love one. I think they just need to stop focusing on mostly one series and bring more into the picture

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Mario is fantastic and a great plus; Mario Kart 8 will ship consoles no doubt...in fact I'm waiting for MK8 before I get my Wii U, nab myself 3D World and DK: Tropical Freeze.

But!

It's as you said; Nintendo cannot live on Mario alone, yes he will be a cash cow, yes people will eat up his games; a balanced healthy diet consisting of Zeldas, Metroids, and maybe bringing back some of the oft requested lesser IPs would aid in sales. People still like platformers, sure, but there's other genres out there that could boost sales.

I still reckon when Mario Kart hits the shelves though sales of the past games will increase. The 3DS was failing miserably prior to MK7 and now it's doing great. Admittedly the 3DS also had Pokemon X/Y, Animal Crossing and even Fire Emblem: Awakning last year which only helped the console.

Retiring Mario though would be stupid. You don't retire your best seller...just maybe work on some other games alongside him.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Most Mario titles are typically too easy to beat nowadays. You could easily complete Super Mario 3D World with every character without losing more than 50 lives, and yet for games like Sonic Lost World and Tropical Freeze, you could lose more than 50 lives in just one level alone.

Sonic Lost World is the most unforgiving, however, because Act 2 of Lava Mountain is just ridiculously hard to survive, and it's a main story level. Whereas, for Tropical Freeze, most of the life killers don't begin until you start playing Hard Mode (a post-story game mode); good luck surviving Irate Eight with only one heart and no checkpoints.

Last edited:

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Mario is fantastic and a great plus; Mario Kart 8 will ship consoles no doubt...in fact I'm waiting for MK8 before I get my Wii U, nab myself 3D World and DK: Tropical Freeze.

But!

It's as you said; Nintendo cannot live on Mario alone, yes he will be a cash cow, yes people will eat up his games; a balanced healthy diet consisting of Zeldas, Metroids, and maybe bringing back some of the oft requested lesser IPs would aid in sales. People still like platformers, sure, but there's other genres out there that could boost sales.

I still reckon when Mario Kart hits the shelves though sales of the past games will increase. The 3DS was failing miserably prior to MK7 and now it's doing great. Admittedly the 3DS also had Pokemon X/Y, Animal Crossing and even Fire Emblem: Awakning last year which only helped the console.

Retiring Mario though would be stupid. You don't retire your best seller...just maybe work on some other games alongside him.

You are right, Nintendo should use their other IP's instead of oversaturating Mario, though they should still release Mario games, just not as much as they have been, time to use games like Metroid, F-Zero, Star Fox, Kid Icarus Wii U, Kirby, not just Mario and Pokémon, Most Mario and Pokémon games coming out have been just like Madden or Call of Duty, the same ganes just copied and pasted with a stupid gimmick that doesn't really enhance gameplay, shocking coming from a company that supposedly prides itself on "innovation" it has been this way ever since Iwata and Reggie took over, Mario this, and Mario that, I want the old Nintendo back, the Nintendo that gambled and took risks, not this hollow shell of a company, Miyamoto would be a great choice as the new head honcho of Nintendo or even a Phil Harrison, Phil Harrison made the PS1 and PS2 two of the best selling Consoles ever, the man knew what he was doing

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
About Mario game oversaturation and IP neglecting, I have a brilliant ficticious scenario, Mario and Luigi are throwing a house party, things are going fairly smooth, until they see four Arwings and three Wolvens flying overhead, laser shots hit the mansion, Star Fox and Star Wolf have allied, Samus blows a hole through the wall, Captain Falcon drives through a wall with the Blue Falcon, he Falcon Punches a toad, more forgotten Nintendo characters arrive, turns out they all were sick of Mario stealing their glory, They all have Mario at weapon point, Mario would ask "What-sa the-a meaning of this-a" Fox would reply "We're sick of you stealing our glory"

Pass

Smash Cadet
Pass, will you stop trolling my posts
Dude, I'm not trolling, I'm just making a joke (one I thought was quite funny) trolling is much more akin to purposely starting a flame war, or hurting someone's feels.
If it does bother you however, I'll be sure not to post in your threads again.
Sorry for the inconvenience.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
It's one of those things that are completely subjective. Chances are you're going to hear some people complain about Mario being over-saturated anyway. I can't say I would have any issues with it myself, so long as the product was of good quality. I think the real issue is the lack of giving other series more attention. Many people keep talking about how much they want Metroid, Star Fox, F-Zero and the like, and that's fine. Though on Nintendo's end it might a Catch 22. Since those series don't particularly bring in the cash.

Then again, sometimes you have to take a risk in order to find success. It's not like Nintendo's screwed or anything. They've got the money to take a hit, and their 3DS sales are softening what ever blows they get hit with. Taking a risk or two could be the kind of thing they need now.

But what the hell do I know, I'm just one dude on the internet.

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
After I get my new 3D Mario platformer and Mario Strikers, sure.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Super Mario 3D World did not flop. When it launched on the same day as the Xbox One, retailers claimed that there were a noticeable amount of people cancelling their Xbox One pre-orders and buying a Wii U with 3D World, after playing the demo in the store.

Considering the Wii U's install base, and the the fact that the game probably didn't have a huge budget (I've seen PSOne games with much better draw distance), I'd wager it was a major success.

People confuse "successful sales" with "selling millions and millions of copies". That's not how it works. A successful game is one that makes a profit. This is why Square Enix deemed the Tomb Raider reboot a commercial failure. It's sold about 6 million copies now, but because they spent so much money on making sure you can see the dirt inside Lara Croft's finger nails, it didn't break even. The game sold a lot, but they didn't make a profit.

For reference, Nintendo has gone on record saying that if they developed a Fire Emblem game for Wii U, it would only need to sell 750,000 copies to be considered a success.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Super Mario 3D World did not flop. When it launched on the same day as the Xbox One, retailers claimed that there were a noticeable amount of people cancelling their Xbox One pre-orders and buying a Wii U with 3D World, after playing the demo in the store.

Considering the Wii U's install base, and the the fact that the game probably didn't have a huge budget (I've seen PSOne games with much better draw distance), I'd wager it was a major success.

People confuse "successful sales" with "selling millions and millions of copies". That's not how it works. A successful game is one that makes a profit. This is why Square Enix deemed the Tomb Raider reboot a commercial failure. It's sold about 6 million copies now, but because they spent so much money on making sure you can see the dirt inside Lara Croft's finger nails, it didn't break even. The game sold a lot, but they didn't make a profit.

For reference, Nintendo has gone on record saying that if they developed a Fire Emblem game for Wii U, it would only need to sell 750,000 copies to be considered a success.
I said for a Mario game it flopped because it sold poorly for a Mario game at least, if Mario wasn't as big an IP as it is, then the game wouldn't have flopped

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
The fact that you consider 3D World a flop tells me all I need to know about how much merit your opinion has on videogames. Mario's the best series ever! :v

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
The fact that you consider 3D World a flop tells me all I need to know about how much merit your opinion has on videogames. Mario's the best series ever! :v

I said it flopped for a MARIO game, if it was a smaller series like A WaveRace or an ExciteBike, one million copies would be acceptable

Top Bottom