• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you guys think I should switch to smash stick

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
Now I’ve been using tilt stick for every character including Ness. Since Ness is my main though I’d be willing to switch control schemes with him if it would be beneficial. Now we know Ness’s tilts aren’t the best but they have their uses

The thing is I’ve realized I’m a little inconsistent with the dsmash yo-yo dangle when I dash in and turn around on the edge. Sometimes I’ll end up dtilting instead. With that being said this is one of Ness’s most important tactics this game and I want to have it on complete lock. Do you guys use smash stick for this and do you think it would be beneficial to switch?

Ez Quinn

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EZ Quinn
3DS FC
2810-2492-6140
Switch FC
8449-9291-0216
I recommend using the c-stick for tilts. Considering this is the first game to let us use the c-stick for them. Smash attack are more situational than tilts. And tilts come out quick and deserve their own stick. However if you feel you can hit tilts just fine without the c-stick then change it back to smash attacks. Personally I use it for tilts because I want quicker access to them, my sister uses it for smash attacks because she can’t execute them on her own well. It depends on what you want. But in a competitive level, the majority of people I know use it for tilts.

Last edited:

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
I recommend using the c-stick for tilts. Considering this is the first game to let us use the c-stick for them. Smash attack are more situational than tilts. And tilts come out quick and deserve their own stick. However if you feel you can hit tilts just fine without the c-stick then change it back to smash attacks. Personally I use it for tilts because I want quicker access to them, my sister uses it for smash attacks because she can’t execute them on her own well. It depends on what you want. But in a competitive level, the majority of people I know use it for tilts.
I mean I usually use it for tilts because I have no problem pulling off smashes and it’s nice to have tilts in one consistent place. I’m just wondering about Ness since his tilts aren’t nearly as important as the yo-yo dangle. I could probably still pull off his tilts consistently without the stick. The only reason I’m wondering on this because I usually have no problem landing smash attacks but sometimes the yo-yo dangle has really tight timing with a pivot to get it to dangle off the ledge which I can usuallly pull off but I want to be able to pull it off perfectly. I was thinking it might be easier to use the smash stick for this

Does anyone have any experience with the two and which has worked better for you?

Ez Quinn

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EZ Quinn
3DS FC
2810-2492-6140
Switch FC
8449-9291-0216
I don’t play ness but if your just worrying about the practicing and timing then don’t change it to smash, spend 15-30 mins practing just that yo-yo thing , let your fingers get a feel for how it works , let it become muscle memory, then spend about another 15-30 minutes doing it w/out looking at the screen (glance occasionally to make sure your doing it)

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
I don’t play ness but if your just worrying about the practicing and timing then don’t change it to smash, spend 15-30 mins practing just that yo-yo thing , let your fingers get a feel for how it works , let it become muscle memory, then spend about another 15-30 minutes doing it w/out looking at the screen (glance occasionally to make sure your doing it)
Yeah that’s what I was thinking but since the yo-yo dangle is such a Ness specific tech and it’s a must land move I was wondering if any other Ness players switched to the smash stick because of this

I know I can drill it and practice it and do it without the smash stick I just don’t wanna take the risk of landing it 19 out of 20 times but the 20th time loses me a game

Ez Quinn

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EZ Quinn
3DS FC
2810-2492-6140
Switch FC
8449-9291-0216
Well hopefully you can get some advice from actual ness players once one sees this thread lol

Specs64z

Smash Journeyman
I use smash stick. Ness’s smashes are far more important than his tilts and they are much more worth having on demand. Dtilt is super situational and the need to spam it to use it well lends itself to button mashing over constantly flicking the control stick downward. Ftilt is a quick kill move at high percents... but it’s got such short range that it generally isn’t worth going for. Utilt is actually a good anti-air directly above you, it combos and it kills, and is generally the only tilt worth your time.

Fsmash as a reflect will be far more useful than ftilt could ever dream of being. Dsmash and Usmash at ledge are very valuable tools that will be used constantly, and they are quick for smash attacks which makes them great for a mixup to score a KO.

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
I use smash stick. Ness’s smashes are far more important than his tilts and they are much more worth having on demand. Dtilt is super situational and the need to spam it to use it well lends itself to button mashing over constantly flicking the control stick downward. Ftilt is a quick kill move at high percents... but it’s got such short range that it generally isn’t worth going for. Utilt is actually a good anti-air directly above you, it combos and it kills, and is generally the only tilt worth your time.

Fsmash as a reflect will be far more useful than ftilt could ever dream of being. Dsmash and Usmash at ledge are very valuable tools that will be used constantly, and they are quick for smash attacks which makes them great for a mixup to score a KO.
Yeah that’s exactly what I was thinking. I can adapt my other characters around Ness since I play him 90% of the time anyway and those ledge yo-yo’s are too important to drop the input on

Ghostface steel

Smash Rookie
I'm not a good ness player so take my advice how you will but I use smash stick too. Up tilt is the only one you wanna worry about and I wish I could do it when I want it (I'm ****) but the yoyo is critical and so is the bat

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
I'm not a good ness player so take my advice how you will but I use smash stick too. Up tilt is the only one you wanna worry about and I wish I could do it when I want it (I'm ****) but the yoyo is critical and so is the bat
I mean I won’t have any problem with up tilt cause I have tap jump off. It’s just something I’ll have to adjust to

Ez Quinn

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EZ Quinn
3DS FC
2810-2492-6140
Switch FC
8449-9291-0216
Yeah that’s exactly what I was thinking. I can adapt my other characters around Ness since I play him 90% of the time anyway and those ledge yo-yo’s are too important to drop the input on
Also just make a different tag with a control scheme specifically for ness. That way when you use ness you have smashes and when you play other chars you can have tilts

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
Also just make a different tag with a control scheme specifically for ness. That way when you use ness you have smashes and when you play other chars you can have tilts
Yeah that’s what I did. Working out really well so far online. I’ll have to see how it works at locals once I’m able to go to one but I’m sure it’ll work out nice

kraw23

Smash Apprentice
Smash stick is straight up better for Ness IMO. Up/Dsmash at the ledge is essential, you have to do it more than once in a row very regularly and using A + left stick sometimes results in a tilt when I'm spamming smash at the ledge (at least for me!). Smash stick never does though :)

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
Smash stick is straight up better for Ness IMO. Up/Dsmash at the ledge is essential, you have to do it more than once in a row very regularly and using A + left stick sometimes results in a tilt when I'm spamming smash at the ledge (at least for me!). Smash stick never does though :)
I’ve been using it with much better results. My practice partner wasn’t happy today lmao

Smash Cadet
Sorry I'm late to the party, but I'm working on picking up Ness because he has been a lot of fun to play and I have found myself preferring Smash stick over tilts despite always using Tilt stick for Ganon, Mega Man, and Ike (I have too many mains!!).

I haven't experimented much with it but am still a little confused on the "Left Stick Sensitivity" setting and what it actually does. I've always had it set to high as everyone else is and how specifically ZeRo said "it feels better," but then someone else said it only has to do with how fast you need to tap the stick to dash, smash, etc.

Would it be okay to have low sensitivity for Ness so I can perform the situational tilts easier, considering that I use Smash stick?

Specs64z

Smash Journeyman
Sorry I'm late to the party, but I'm working on picking up Ness because he has been a lot of fun to play and I have found myself preferring Smash stick over tilts despite always using Tilt stick for Ganon, Mega Man, and Ike (I have too many mains!!).

I haven't experimented much with it but am still a little confused on the "Left Stick Sensitivity" setting and what it actually does. I've always had it set to high as everyone else is and how specifically ZeRo said "it feels better," but then someone else said it only has to do with how fast you need to tap the stick to dash, smash, etc.

Would it be okay to have low sensitivity for Ness so I can perform the situational tilts easier, considering that I use Smash stick?
That's exactly what I do. I can't think of any situation where I would need tilt stick at my beck and call compared to the yo-yo. Basically every time I've used a tilt, it's been buffered out of something (uair -> imagination) or I'm spamming dtilt at ledge (a situation where the dtilt can be easily setup and the few frames between moving the stick and pressing the button don't matter).

I said it once before in a similar thread: there's even a case to be made that special stick > tilt stick for Ness for the magnet and PK fire wavebounces.

Smash Cadet
That's exactly what I do. I can't think of any situation where I would need tilt stick at my beck and call compared to the yo-yo. Basically every time I've used a tilt, it's been buffered out of something (uair -> imagination) or I'm spamming dtilt at ledge (a situation where the dtilt can be easily setup and the few frames between moving the stick and pressing the button don't matter).

I said it once before in a similar thread: there's even a case to be made that special stick > tilt stick for Ness for the magnet and PK fire wavebounces.

On that note, does Ness's PK Fire wavebounce have good practical use? I'm mainly wondering because I decided to learn it yesterday as I learned that you can still shield tilt with 1 shield button and special (so I set R to special and didn't have to change anything else because I already grip claw)

Specs64z

Smash Journeyman
On that note, does Ness's PK Fire wavebounce have good practical use? I'm mainly wondering because I decided to learn it yesterday as I learned that you can still shield tilt with 1 shield button and special (so I set R to special and didn't have to change anything else because I already grip claw)
Probably not, tbh. PK fire wavebounce is more of a Lucas thing.

EarthBoundEnigma

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EarthBoundEnigma
Smash-stick all the way. Ness' tilts are some of the weakest in the game, and all of them can be executed easily without wasting the C-stick. Even B-stick is better than Tilt-stick for Ness. Smash-stick makes it even easier to pivot your smash attacks, space your reflections, do sliding up/down smashes, and to trick people with the direction of the first hitbox of up/down smashes.

I say this as a 20-year veteran who has been playing Ness for all of those, never having a problem using A-stick for smash attacks. With Smash-stick you can run one direction and smash attack in another, which is the only time I use the C-stick, while grounded.

Top Bottom