• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you guys think a third major political party in the United States of America should be made?

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I just wanted to make this topic about major political parties in the USA, and a third one being made. What do you all think about a possible third major political party in the U.S.? Should it happen? What good do you all think could come out of it?

For me, I think it would be a great thing. I was initially against it because of the possibility to make more conflict between the existing parties and the new parties, but given how the Republican party has been lately, and that not every republican is supportive of the one called Donald J. Trump, I think the country could benefit from this instead of Democrats vs Republican Trumpers. I think any negotiations between parties would be easier than between the Democratic party and the Republican party we have now. Plus, it is said that many people are independent in terms of siding with a political party nowadays. Plus, there are countries that have multiple political parties instead of two or even three.

I do understand it may be hard to create a party, but the current Republican party has been rather reactionary nowadays. In fact, I would say that the Republican party of the USA has become more of a cult for Trump now. I say it would be hard because the Republicans that are Trump's supporters would strongly be against that, but I don't think they should get the final say in this, no matter how hard they try to get it.

By the way, for those who do not know, the term "reactionary" means being conservative to the point of returning to an earlier state instead of staying the same or moving forward; in this case, returning countries like the USA to an earlier social or political state. I feel plenty of the members of the current Republican party, especially those who support Trump, are being this, and more so not the Republicans from before. I'd even say that Republicans are supporting and doing things not for the U.S. country, but for things like selfish gains. I personally do not think they are as patriotic for this country as they may have used to be. They probably do not care about the people or country, and while I may be extreme when I say this; I'd say such Republicans are just as traitorous as Trump is allegedly with the January 6 event. Maybe not in the same way, but I can see the motivations they may have have being so.

So, what do you all think of the idea for a third major political party?

Last edited:

FazDude

Smash Master
Technically speaking, there are parties aside from Republicans and Democrats; Libertarians and the Green Party are the two big ones right now. The problem is that these parties are heavily overshadowed by the campaigns of Republican and Democrat candidates, leading to them getting very few votes in comparison to the big guys.

I'd be happy to see a third party become a serious contender with the Republican and Democratic parties, but honestly, I doubt it'll happen.

Last edited:

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Technically speaking, there are parties aside from Republicans and Democrats; Libertarians and the Green Party are the two big ones right now. The problem is that these parties are heavily overshadowed by the campaigns of Republican and Democrat candidates, leading to them getting very few votes in comparison to the big guys.

I'd be happy to see a third party become a serious contender with the Republican and Democratic parties, but honestly, I doubt it'll happen.
I know. I technically forgot to say the words "major third political party". That was what I meant. Sorry for the confusion.

Still, I am also not sure if such a party will happen. I have my doubts.

Thanks for your input, though!

Oracle Link

Smash Master
I mean yeah i can completly understand why people would vote right in this day and age afterall a lot of Media is Drenched in a good dose of Left extremisim!
So yeah giving People a Healthy Outlet for their Frustrations with this with out them having to vote trump makes perfect Sense!
Also in general USA Should have 5 Parties if ya ask me!

Alicorn

Cyber Bunny
I'm going to say no.

Third parties are just spoiler votes in the US. Its just how the system is designed in the US. The only real third party is the Green party. The libertarian party was founded by Conservatives in an attempt to draw in the youth vote during the time of its creation, its nothing more than an extension of the GOP. Paul Ryan is a GOP hardliner and he was the liberation candidate. So yeah the biggest third party in the US is GOP aligned. There is no progressive party because Progressives knew they had a better chance running on the democrat ticket then splitting the vote.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
So... As was pointed out We are kinda stranded.

There are arguments over where the 6th wave of periodization even lies let alone if it's already over, as we've pretty much been forced into 2 "real" parties since FDR. (Don't get me wrong he did great things but he was also a dictator lol). Henry Ross Perot came the closet with 1 in 5 voting for him in the popular. (He may have won if he didn't drop out for 4 months before election day.)

So right now unless an independent actually raises enough clout like Perot did it really does amount to throwing your vote away.

Top Bottom