• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you find Lucina boring to watch (or even play)

Arthur97

Smash Master
I got kind of discouraged when people kept saying how boring she was. Is this a common theme or just a salty few? I feel bad that even when she's good she gets hated on.

Downshift

Smash Journeyman
She's boring if she's played lame, just like most characters are. If all you do is SH FF Fair and Uair juggle over and over and over, then yeah she can be boring.
I don't think that's specific to Lucina though.

I think the main sentiment behind saying she's boring, assuming it's not just salt, is that her specials aren't exactly "flashy". Sure there are some hype plays you can execute with Shield Breaker mindgames or even Counter, but she's no max-aura Lucario.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Maybe? Seeing effective Lucina play just doesn't excite me as much as seeing someone like Marth, imo

Grie

Smash Apprentice
The character dosen’t have a flashy combo game or a high learning curve like other similar characters. She’s pure fundementals so what you see is what you get and it’s probably not for everyone. I get bored sometimes wanna play someone else like ridley at times because he’s a bit more special but still have fun.

Arthur97

Smash Master
I didn't pay much attention back in the day, but were there similar complaints about Mario who is also fairly basic outside of that fair (which, yes, can be hype).

roymustang1990-

Smash Ace
NNID
RoyMustang1990
Just so you know.people usually say this kind of The stuff to characters that win tournaments alot for all fighting games .it's a response from the minority crowd so stop looking into it

Arthur97

Smash Master
Well, another thing is that supposedly few pros actually main her and just pocket her so that may give the idea more credence. Personally, watching Smash isn't always the most enjoyable thing for me anyway (partly due to commentators), so I kind of rely on others for this.

Arcane_

Smash Cadet
You can play any character in a lame way I believe, it's more about how you a play a character and not the character itself, as far as smash ultimate goes. As a Marth main I think she feels awful to play cause I'm used to the tipper mechanic, but that doesn't make her boring. You shouldn't let a few upset people determine who you play. My Marth in melee gets called boring all the time because I play defensive.

Keeshu

Smash Ace
I love playing against Lucina. I get a similar to fighting Lucina as I do with Ike, just Lucina is much faster by comparison. Watching random matches of Lucina not-so-much though. Still fun to watch, but every character in this game is fun to watch if you watch the right player.

Of the Marth-style characters Roy is the only one that gets me super hyped to watch though. It's just the way that Roy players move with him that makes things so interesting.

Flowen231

Smash Apprentice
Of the Marth-style characters Roy is the only one that gets me super hyped to watch though. It's just the way that Roy players move with him that makes things so interesting.
This man gets it.

I'm gonna play devil's advocate a bit. Juggling forever may be boring to watch but its optimal in competitive play, its how you get stocks, its what the character is good at. Worth noting that being the juggler is much more fun than watching the juggler ;p.

At the same time though, lots of lucina players look for nothing but the juggle. I've seen so many people d tilt into up tilt, both hits continuously get shielded, and thats great conditioning but I hardly ever see them go for the shield breaker mixup after, which would end the stock much faster.

Its a real classic case of players looking for the biggest reward, but as the meta evolves so must people, and that includes finding ways to beat people who know the juggle is coming.

Last edited:

Arcane_

Smash Cadet
This man gets it.

I'm gonna play devil's advocate a bit. Juggling forever may be boring to watch but its optimal in competitive play, its how you get stocks, its what the character is good at. Worth noting that being the juggler is much more fun than watching the juggler ;p.

At the same time though, lots of lucina players look for nothing but the juggle. I've seen so many people d tilt into up tilt, both hits continuously get shielded, and thats great conditioning but I hardly ever see them go for the shield breaker mixup after, which would end the stock much faster.

Its a real classic case of players looking for the biggest reward, but as the meta evolves so must people, and that includes finding ways to beat people who know the juggle is coming.
I mean juggling isn't unbeatable in this game, should you DI and airdodge correctly, with most characters I've seen do it.

Flowen231

Smash Apprentice
I don't think anyone is saying it is, its just what most people go for since it has the highest damage potential on our characters.

Haden

If life is so fair, why do roses have thorns?
She isn't there to be flashy, sir, she's there to win. Lucina is by far one of the top 5 easiest characters to learn AND to Master, and because EVERY Lucina plays the same (like Lucina), you got board of seeing it.
So, by your SUBJECTIVE point of view, yes, if you prefer flashy and stylish, Lucina will be boring to watch. Some people like to watch tryhard Lucina tho (like Lucina mains), so really it all boils down to the flavors you eat sir.

Last edited:

Mooer

Smash Cadet
To answer your title: NO!
Lucina is incredibly hype to watch IMO. The deliberation in her movements and her capability to dominate a match are so incredibly satisfying to watch. All of her moves have uses, she's not limited to the same tactics over and over (like for example, Olimar is way more boring with his moves). She can be slippery or aggressive as needed, plus she has great off stage capabilities which is fun to see! Some characters just can't go deep into their edge-guards and that's way more lame. I think people might just be salty.

Jaro235

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-3773-6120-6819
That’s how I feel about Palutena. I got discouraged when people called her brainless or boring to watch because she has been one of my mains since 4. I play as Palutena because I think she is fun and I don’t care about tiers. Don’t worry about what people say about Lucina. Almost every character is going to get some type of hate. Play as the characters you like.

To answer the question, NO. Lucina is fun to watch and play against because even though she is good, there is nothing cheap about her. She is just a rock solid character that doesn’t rely on camping.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
Well, for me personally, I try Lucina, but I don't think I'm very good with her. All the more reason for me to have hoped for a unique moveset.

Lypion

Smash Cadet
I think for most people "consistent"- basic characters like lucina, ike etc. are just not as fun to watch as more explosive characters. It's like if you watch soccer and you have one of these wishy-washy-games where nothing really happens and someone rarely strikes a goal. Explosive chars are mostly more fun because there's more potential for 0-deaths, huge combacks and stuff like that. (Not saying that lucina can't do that) while i wouldn't say she's boring to watch, i personally think other characters are more fun.

I didn't pay much attention back in the day, but were there similar complaints about Mario who is also fairly basic outside of that fair (which, yes, can be hype).
Mario for example while he seems basic was and is very explosive with huge combo potential and hype moments, therefore he wasn't really boring to watch for most people

Haden

I don't think anyone is saying it is, its just what most people go for since it has the highest damage potential on our characters.
Lucina is not the highest damage potential.... in fact, she's not even close.
Damage goes to Pichu, Pikachu and Peach. The PPP Squad. Then you have Inklings if you're Inked.

Flowen231

Smash Apprentice
Lucina is not the highest damage potential.... in fact, she's not even close.
Damage goes to Pichu, Pikachu and Peach. The PPP Squad. Then you have Inklings if you're Inked.
Just throwing it out there, when I said "our characters" I specifically meant marcena. As in the characters that we use. And it was in reference to the fact that a good juggle has greater damage potential than anything else in their kit on most characters ;p.

Also its been a minute since I've been on smashboards, whats good?

Haden

Just throwing it out there, when I said "our characters" I specifically meant marcena. As in the characters that we use. And it was in reference to the fact that a good juggle has greater damage potential than anything else in their kit on most characters ;p.

Also its been a minute since I've been on smashboards, whats good?
Oh, well yea. Of course throw into upair string air dodge read upair string is their best "damage" option as a character. I'd rather just throw off stage and cover every option with run off Fair, jump back to stage Bair for coverage. It literally covers everything lol

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
I do not find her very interesting. I had tried to pick her up as a secondary but got bored within a few days. Feels like her gameplan can boil down to the same few options, and while those things are effective, I just get kind of bored. Not as flowchart-y as the Belmonts, but too basic for me, minus the occasional shield break hype.

I'm having more fun playing Marth and learning how to optimally space tippers. Maybe not the most meta pick, but oh well. I have to enjoy the character to be able to play them.

Top Bottom