• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you feel Ultimate is "Too Flashy"?

TheMisterManGuy

Smash Apprentice
If you've seen Super Smash Bros. Ultimate in action, you'll quickly realize that there's a lot more going on visually than any Smash Bros. game before it. There's big explosions everywhere, dramatic zoom-ins, fast balloon knock-back and large launch trails, and the Final Smashes now have a ton of new background effects to accommodate their reworked speed, Blast KOs now have particle effects. While I like all these changes, some people might find them to be a bit too much, possibly to the point of sensory overload. There's so much noise, color, and effects going on in Ultimate that it makes it feel more like an Arc System Works fighter than Smash Bros. I assume these changes were made to accommodate spectators, keeping the game exciting to watch.

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
If you're playing 1 vs 1, it's not all that distracting since you'll usually know where you and your opponent are, and there's not too much going on from preventing you from seeing what your opponent is up to. In 4 player free-for-alls, it definitely gets a little worse, but still not all that bad if you ask me. At least not overly so in comparison to previous Smash games. Certain zoom-ins don't even play when there's multiple characters on the field, not until there's only two left anyway. In case of the particle effects, they just need some getting used to. Like, I've seen people complaining about the large amount of smoke, which, while it's certainly more present than ever before, is not at all bothersome for me personally, and I actually have to pay attention to the smoke to even notice it, my mind's already got it tuned out.

So no, I don't think it's too flashy. I think it's just right, honestly. I like it.

maxistrife

Smash Apprentice
I can't wait to play 8 player FFA matches, all items, all hazards, all stages, any character....CHAOSSSSSSS....BECKONNSSSSS

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
I personally don't mind when a game tries to be flashy. I can live with background changes during final smashes and when powerful items are being used. I also think powerful hits slowing the game down is a nice touch. My issue with this though is that the game is going too far out of its way to be flashy often interfering with the camera or excessively covering the screen.

What I don't like is how it shifts the camera in moments when everyone is still fighting. In this clip, the game zooms the camera on the person that got the Dragoon while others were still fighting. In this one, the game did the same for the Daybreak. Others are still fighting, and these items are unnecessarily screwing with the camera. The visual effects of the Blast KOs seem to cover a much larger area than in previous games. Just look at this clip where two happen right after each other. They're obscenely big. There's also the fact that Screen KOs are now covering the fight. In this clip, Jigglypuff died off the top from a Screen KO. The game did the blast animation afterwards, and it covered like 70% of the screen for a brief moment. I haven't actually seen footage yet, but there are complaints about how some moves will slow the game down even if there are other players fighting else where. I can only imagine that will get annoying quickly if true. And there's another thread made because of those smoke trails.

As I said, I don't mind flashiness. In fact, it's a nice touch. What I do have an issue with is when it tries too hard to be flashy and begins to interfere with being able to see the main attraction of the game.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
I play the Kingdom Hearts series. This is child's play by comparison.

With that said, you mentioned sensory overload. If there were an option in the game to tone this all down so people who would suffer from such could also enjoy Smash, I'd be all for it.

pap64

Smash Apprentice
NNID
pappel64
Switch FC
2966 0225 9209
Well, I think it IS indeed very flashy, but I feel that was intentional. Nintendo wants to promote this as an epic fighting game with all sorts of madness going in to get players excited. But watch how the competitive scene will tone it down so we focus more on the matches and less on the spectacle (and I swear this is not a dig at competitive players, just saying that the fanbase will make it less chaotic for the sake of tournament play).

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
In some bits, deeeeefinitely.
Mainly the smoke, and the MEGA ZOOM IN SLOW-MO.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I played four player console mutiplayer on Halo: Reach with covenant weapons only. I know what flashy really is. This is fine.

That being said, I can say it is on the flashy side, but it's not an issue.

Porygon2

Smash Journeyman
I personally don't mind when a game tries to be flashy. I can live with background changes during final smashes and when powerful items are being used. I also think powerful hits slowing the game down is a nice touch. My issue with this though is that the game is going too far out of its way to be flashy often interfering with the camera or excessively covering the screen.

What I don't like is how it shifts the camera in moments when everyone is still fighting. In this clip, the game zooms the camera on the person that got the Dragoon while others were still fighting. In this one, the game did the same for the Daybreak. Others are still fighting, and these items are unnecessarily screwing with the camera. The visual effects of the Blast KOs seem to cover a much larger area than in previous games. Just look at this clip where two happen right after each other. They're obscenely big. There's also the fact that Screen KOs are now covering the fight. In this clip, Jigglypuff died off the top from a Screen KO. The game did the blast animation afterwards, and it covered like 70% of the screen for a brief moment. I haven't actually seen footage yet, but there are complaints about how some moves will slow the game down even if there are other players fighting else where. I can only imagine that will get annoying quickly if true. And there's another thread made because of those smoke trails.

As I said, I don't mind flashiness. In fact, it's a nice touch. What I do have an issue with is when it tries too hard to be flashy and begins to interfere with being able to see the main attraction of the game.
The clips serve your point well, but I think the zooming isn't without its own utility, at least in the case of items-on matches. It effectively highlights important things that are going on in the battle, which may actually work to reduce the chaos. In the Daybreak clip for example, it's likely that the Greninja player would be too preoccupied controlling their DI after getting hit with the bomb to take note of who acquired the final piece. The zoom emphasizes it, and their ability to react is enhanced.
I do agree that the screen kos and smoke are too much. Some sort of FX slider would be nice.

King9999

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mmking9999
3DS FC
2105-8754-7747
Switch FC
2722-8799-3295
Nah I don't think it's too flashy.

I think the finest KO animation is great. They add hype for both players and spectators.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
The clips serve your point well, but I think the zooming isn't without its own utility, at least in the case of items-on matches. It effectively highlights important things that are going on in the battle, which may actually work to reduce the chaos. In the Daybreak clip for example, it's likely that the Greninja player would be too preoccupied controlling their DI after getting hit with the bomb to take note of who acquired the final piece. The zoom emphasizes it, and their ability to react is enhanced.
I do agree that the screen kos and smoke are too much. Some sort of FX slider would be nice.
Well there already is an indicator for when someone gets the final piece. In the Daybreak’s case, the screen darkens, the Daybreak gives off a brief flash of light, and a distinguishable audio clip plays. That’s enough for everyone who needs to be concerned about it to know what they need to know.

If the Daybreak is assembled, someone off stage trying to DI towards it is probably already dead at that point as there likely is nothing they can do to both get back and avoid the laser. That is of course assuming the laser is being aimed in his direction. If that is not the case, he shouldn’t worry at all. As for those on stage, using peripheral vision, people can see where the Daybreak holder is even if they don’t know who it is due to the darkening of the screen and flash of light. It’s a matter of predicting the timing of when the laser will be shot.

No matter the case, I don’t think a camera zoom is going to help anyone learn anything useful anymore than what the other visual effects already provide.

D

Deleted member

As long as the game is rich in features, the roster is balanced, and the game doesn't have a lot of glitches or issues that affect gameplay, im cool with Ultimate being flashy. And most of that is already done.

I honestly really like it, the menu screen is nice and minimal, graphics look great, all the characters look refreshed. The knockback and smoke affect are a little much, but I can live with it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crystanium

Smash Hero
People who are at risk of experiencing seizures shouldn't be playing video games anyway. I understand certain matches can be a bit chaotic, but I wouldn't describe that as "sensory overload". This has been around since day one of Super Smash Bros., though.

Last edited:

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
I’m hoping that once we get the game in our hands and can turn the items, final smashes and “crazy dynamic” stages off it will be easier. Even as a casual who likes 4 player free for alls on banned stages I prefer to play it this way anyway because as you said, it can be too much sometimes.

Top Bottom