• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you believe in God?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GOTM

Smash Champion
Since I am not a "Smash Debater", I'm starting this thread here because I'd like a chance to respond to posts about this topic.

I've seen this same debate occur in the private section of these forums before, and I'm sure it's occurred outside those walls as well, but I don't see an active one right now and I'd like to start one :)

I'm not going to kick this off with a big opening statement or personal stance, I'm just going to say that I do not believe in God, and hope to be able to respond to a lot of posts here about what your stances are.

Let's make this interesting!

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
So I will assume (correct me if I'm wrong), that you do believe the universe was created at the hand of someone?
I don't like the implication of the word "hand" in this context so again I will say no. Based on the knowledge we have, however, I think that the creation of "our universe" can not be coincidence. Just look at the degree of regularity in sciences like physics or chemistry and take into account that regularity and coincidence are contradictory and you will understand what I mean. I don't think there's a spiritual aspect within all this so I have no reason to believe in the kind of god the abrahamic religions suggests [or any other religion for that matter].

:059:

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
I came to the conclusion that Christianity was false due to the bible's description of men and women (i.e. that women are weak and helpless) and seeing how my mom broke all those rules raising me, taking care of her parents, and adjusting to a foreign land by herself.

One cannot 100% say that there is no god. There is no proof of his non-existance. However, there is no proof that there is not a purple teapot orbiting Mars at 100 m above the surface. Also if there is one it cannot have all three traits of omniscience, omnipotent, or benevolent. The main conflict being that if it is omniscient and omnipotent, it cannot be benevolent because there are starving children in this world (some of which are being held in captivity and sexually abused). And if it lacks any of the above three, to me it is not worth being worshiped.

Gheb: you have an interesting viewpoint, but I counter with the claim, the universe may seem fine tuned, but if you look closely it seems rather chaotic. Just look at how long it took for life to develop on earth and how many times mass extinction events occurred. What seems like regularity in Science are just mathematical approximations of what happens in certain types of systems. The majority of our universe isn't even suitable for life as we know it to exist.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
When there is the lack of proof of something, that is the same as having proof against it. The Burden of Proof doesn't fall onto a negative proposition I believe, it is up to someone putting forth a stance on a creator.

Oh, and I am 100% sure there is no being that exists, and hypothetically if it was, like hell it is the Christian God. (Knows that someone may get offended by that, my apologies). I'd sooner believe the world is one massive collective consciousness over that shenanigans, they have more compelling things to say and than someone believing any religion out there and raises tough questions about Earth. I'm 99% sure the universe isn't some sort of giant God consciousness. That sounds so much more interesting and isn't morally contradictory, so I give those believers a congratulatory one percent.

May sound harsh, I am really open to debate (I'd personally like to have an afterlife so being proved wrong would be nice), I grew up Christian simply because my family was without thinking about it, and then when High school came around I started to turn to philosophy and now I can't turn to any concept of God, especially what I once believed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom