• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you agree with the general order and plans for Ultimate newcomers?

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
*Echo fighters aren't the focus in this topic.
*Smash 5 newcomer covers 64~81 on this roster, Pyra and Mythra count as one in this topic
*You're allowed to take realworld events and directs into consideration, but you can also ignore them if they bother you.

Now with the full roster revealed, I think it's time to tell whether NIntendo handle the whole process well?

There have been highs and lows in the whole reveal process of the Smash Ultimate journey. But it feels like NIntendo could had handled it better to avoid certain backlash and negative feedbacks about the fighters.

So assume that you're NIntendo CEO and you already compromise with Sakurai and other Nintendo members about the newcomer choices (you can't change them anyway), but you have the full right to decided when to reveal the fighters and when to add them to this game, what would you do with the Smash 5 newcomer order?

-------------------

My personal take:

Base game additions:
#64 Ridley
I assume the original Smash direct would reveal him as the first fighter.
#65 Incineroar
While I definitely like Incineroar and the trailer, s/he doesn't need to be the last one IMO.
#66 Isabelle
#67 King K Rool
#68 Pyra / Mythrea

Since they could had made it in the base game, I don't see a good reason why they couldn't had. While Pyra herself doesn't seem like a worthy DLC choice, Nintnendo didn't really have a good reason to give the original base game fighters higher priority.
#69 Byleth
If Nintendo dIdn't mind to introduce the FE Roy back in Smash 2, I think it's okay to just put Byleth here to advertise his/her game withought making too many spoilers.

Bonus:
#70 Plant Piranha
I think most people don't have problem with its place as bonus if it must be on this roster.

Fighter Pass 1:
#71 Sephiroth
I wouldn't mind to put him in the base game, but since the base game roster is full, I put him here as he is the only second rep for third party. Business-wise, I think he would had been a great opening to serve the current FF fans.
Also for the opening it is a good pick since Reggie cannot claim this chararacter and the following DLCs represent brand new game franchsies, anyway.
#72 Inklings
I know most people have wanted this character since Smash 4, but I feel like Splatoon would also work well as a DLC content on its own. If the timing is right, maybe Octoling would had been added as an echo partner here.
#73 Kazuya
I think since Tekken has been a content since Smash 4, it's honestly abit too late to reveal a fighter in FP2. FP1 would be a better timing.
And since Terry is also a fighting game rep, he is swapped to FP2 instead.
#74 Hero
#75 Banjo

I think Banjo would had served a better bang finale for the whole FP1.

Fighter Pass 2:
#76 Min Min
#78 Joker
#78 Terry
#79 Simon / Ritcher

Well he is 3rd party rep so he probably would had suited this place better. I honestly feel like he is more unique than some other DLC contents.
#80 Steve
He is an Internet exploerer, so that I think he can be revealed later.
#81 Sora
I think most people agree with his place, too?

Quillion

Smash Hero
The order is fine. I think it's good that the base game characters largely focused on older and established franchises while DLC mixed old franchises with new pups.

If the base game did focus on new pups, that would be a problem. I really don't think Byleth, Pythra, and Min Min would be fit for the base game.

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
I feel the order is fine for the most part, would have swapped k rool & incineroar for base game & if possible move min min & pyra /mythra to the 1st pass & have had Byleth in the middle of one of the passes.

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
really don't think Byleth, Pythra, and Min Min would be fit for the base game.
Uhm how?
If Smash 6 will introduce a Pokemon from gen 8, should it be put in base game or DLC by your opinion?

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Ok errr let’s see what we got here….
Current base game has Inkling, Ridley, Belmont, K. Rool, Isabelle, Incineroar and I’m not going to move any of them to DLC. However, if I’m allowed to I’m moving Aegis to base game and make the DLC Packs 5 fighters each. The Final Smash Direct already had a full segment on “sorry we couldnt add a xenoblade character now” so they might as well actually add it here since their moveset could be kinda guessed from just their designs.

E3 still has Inkling, Daisy and Ridley
8/8 still reveals K. Rool and Belmonts with Chrom and Dark Samus
September Direct now reveals Kencineroar
Final Smash Direct reveals Aegis and Isabelle as well as Plant at the end.

I don’t see a big problem with the order of the DLC, except I do think Byleth would be better in pass 2 and Min Min would be a bit more hype in Pass 1 when ARMS isn‘t declared dead already

The New Pass 1 is then:
Joker, Banjo, Kazuya, Min Min, Sepiroth

The New Pass 2 is then:
Terry, Hero, Steve, Byleth, Sora

I kinda like Terry as a pass opener to be honest, and I agree that Tekken is timeless enough to just put in the first pass. Moving Sepiroth to the first pass also helps make the connection to Sora a bit better and balances out the edge-factor as Min Min joins the first pass.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
Uh....
I don't know, isn't Pokemon old enough already?
Pokémon as a whole is old enough, but Gen 8 was way too recent for anything but DLC for Ultimate. On the other hand, we just might get something from Gen 8 for the Smash 6 base game.

Top Bottom