• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

''Do the Mario'' A Mario guide for SSBWiiU/3DS (COMPLETE ver. 1.1.6) [Deleted]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kulty

Smash Ace
Kulty Kulty
I really like this guide it is very informative and will help alot of players.
Thanks a lot man! I really appreciate your contribution. I plan to add matchups in more details for each character soon based on your discussions or maybe do a matchup guide for Mario, since MUs are very long to develop. If there's something that you would like to add that I haven't thought about it yet, please let me know. It does help me and other Mario players around there.

miniada

Smash Journeyman
NNID
miniada
Thanks a lot man! I really appreciate your contribution. I plan to add matchups in more details for each character soon based on your discussions or maybe do a matchup guide for Mario, since MUs are very long to develop. If there's something that you would like to add that I haven't thought about it yet, please let me know. It does help me and other Mario players around there.
Well if you do ever need explanations for mus I know a good amount of Mario's mus. I'd you would like experience with mus here's my NNID: miniada. And you said mario beats dk and gaw you mind explaining.

Kulty

Smash Ace
Well if you do ever need explanations for mus I know a good amount of Mario's mus. I'd you would like experience with mus here's my NNID: miniada. And you said mario beats dk and gaw you mind explaining.
Well, as for DK, it was pre-patch. I really thought that Mario wins this MU by a bit, but now, I think DK has a slight advantage because of the range and how early he can kill Mario. Thanks anyway. I appreciate it. Will add your MU forum so that people have an idea about MUs overall as Mario. Like I said, I plan to do a MU guide soon enough.

miniada

Smash Journeyman
NNID
miniada
Well, as for DK, it was pre-patch. I really thought that Mario wins this MU by a bit, but now, I think DK has a slight advantage because of the range and how early he can kill Mario. Thanks anyway. I appreciate it. Will add your MU forum so that people have an idea about MUs overall as Mario. Like I said, I plan to do a MU guide soon enough.
Ness and lucas are being discussed right now so feel free to drop by.

miniada

Smash Journeyman
NNID
miniada
Kulty Kulty a brand new discussion is happening in the mario mu thread so if you would like more input and help on your guide don't forget to drop on buy.

Kulty

Smash Ace
LeeSmash4Me updated ''Do the Mario'' A Mario guide for SSBWiiU/3DS (COMPLETE ver. 1.0.3) with a new update entry:

Ver. 1.0.4: More content coming up

Hi guys,

Another update coming up. Basically, I forgot to add an important topic that's worth to mention on my basic part of the guide. Basically that topic is simple : ARE YOU A MARIO PLAYER (a.k.a is Mario the character for you?). Also, I plan to go into matchups in more details about how does each character goes against Mario. I plan to cover every single character according to the official roster line-up. I will start with the main roster going with the starter characters first...
Read the rest of this update entry...

ZeldaZephyr

Smash Apprentice
Thank you for the amazing tips this guide has given me. My Mario has really gotten better since then. I found out it's possible to do the famous Luigi combo (D-throw +Fair) by short hopping after the D-throw. :)

Kulty

Smash Ace
Thank you for the amazing tips this guide has given me. My Mario has really gotten better since then. I found out it's possible to do the famous Luigi combo (D-throw +Fair) by short hopping after the D-throw. :)
No problem. Glad you still like it. I'm gonna elaborate more on character matchups and yeah. Also, I want to ask you a question. Based on what you saw from:4cloud:trailer yesterday, what are your impressions and do you think that we have to watch for him as Mario players? Personally, I feel that:4cloud:will certainly be a threat for:4mario:players. I don't know, but that's just me.

ZeldaZephyr

Smash Apprentice
I agree with Cloud being a threat to Mario players since i feel he might be as powerful as Ike or even Bowser. I also felt his addition to the smash universe as unexpected. but since i know a tiny bit about the Final Fantasy games. I think he's really cool.

Kulty

Smash Ace
I agree with Cloud being a threat to Mario players since i feel he might be as powerful as Ike or even Bowser. I also felt his addition to the smash universe as unexpected. but since i know a tiny bit about the Final Fantasy games. I think he's really cool.
Yeah man! I really can't wait to play him, since I'm a fan of anime sword characters. At the same time, I'm scared, because I think Mario will have a hard time dealing with Cloud, because he seems like a better version of Ike since his strength is about the same, has decent range, better frame data than Ike from what I can tell, a projectile that covers a decent amount of distance and good running speed. Still, I think he's really cool, but I never played the FF games. That's the thing. I only knew Cloud before this trailer came out from a Smash fan game called Super Smash Flash and that's about it. As for the franchise, the only thing I heard about FF is that FFXII is very overrated.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Well, here's my reply on your response. Like I said before, even though there plenty of text in your guide. My phone actually runs smooth when loading the guide because you hide most of the text, which is a clever thing to do.

All in all, this guide is fantastic, There are some parts even has a video link, which is even better.

Kulty

Smash Ace
Well, here's my reply on your response. Like I said before, even though there plenty of text in your guide. My phone actually runs smooth when loading the guide because you hide most of the text, which is a clever thing to do.

All in all, this guide is fantastic, There are some parts even has a video link, which is even better.
Thanks! I appreciate it. I just went to my first Smash Wii U tournament yesterday in my school. I was quite nervous since I did not play the game for a while (plus I don't have the Wii U version). It was a competitive tournament with true tournament rules (winners and losers bracket, stage striking, etc.). I actually came in second place (I lost against a:4yoshi:). I went :4mario:most of the tournament, and I did pull off :4sonic:and:4drmario:in some rough situations and tough MUs. Overall, was proud since it's my first competitive tournament experience I ever had in my life. I did went to Brawl casual tournaments before and won easily.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Thanks! I appreciate it. I just went to my first Smash Wii U tournament yesterday in my school. I was quite nervous since I did not play the game for a while (plus I don't have the Wii U version). It was a competitive tournament with true tournament rules (winners and losers bracket, stage striking, etc.). I actually came in second place (I lost against a:4yoshi:). I went :4mario:most of the tournament, and I did pull off :4sonic:and:4drmario:in some rough situations and tough MUs. Overall, was proud since it's my first competitive tournament experience I ever had in my life. I did went to Brawl casual tournaments before and won easily.
Wow, that's nice, sadly there aren't any solid Smash4 tournaments in my country...

ZeldaZephyr

Smash Apprentice
I wish there were tournaments where I live. I would love to enter one just to show how much I've improved. I've been in the lab with Mario for about a week coming up with new combos and set ups. I've even been working on Dr. Mario as well.

Kulty

Smash Ace
I don`t have high expectations when I go to tournaments, because my mindset when I play Smash Bros is to get really good at the game competitively without necessarily go to tournaments. Not only because I`m busy in life, but it's just that I'm not that strict and hard on myself when I play tournaments. I want to have fun and get really good (play like a tournament level player) at the same time. I like to play competitive friendlies.

ZeldaZephyr

Smash Apprentice
To be truthfully honest i don't have high expectations either. I just want to be good with my mains and been watching pro smashers that uses the character i use and learn new strategies. I get nervous when I play against my friends (We mostly play friendlies all the time) then my inputs get messed up due to being nervous. I don't doubt myself if I lose I just shake it off and say ''Good Game'' and start practicing a little more.

Kulty

Smash Ace
It`s like let me say something:

At the tournament I went, I want to perform the best I could. Round 1: I fought against a:4kirby:. Since Kirby doesn`t get comboed hard, is small and light, I decided to go:4drmario:, because I think that this MU is a lot easier compared to Mario. So I won quite solidly 2-0. Then, I went against a:4ryu:in round 2. I want to try:4mario:to see how the MU goes, because I heard it's terrible, and I want to try it. I lost game 1, then I pulled out:4shulk:(and I won but it was really close). In game 3, I went:4sonic:, and that guy was super salty when I pulled off Sonic against him, because he hated fighting Sonic as Ryu which I truly understand. I took that game, and won the set. Round 3: I fought against a:4sheik:. I went :4mario:obviously and I won 2-0, since I really know how to fight against a Sheik. It all went well, until I then lost to a really good :4yoshi:in Winners Finals. I lost 3-0, but they were really close games. I was sent to losers' finals, and I went against that solid:4ryu:again. This time, I went:4sonic:during that entire set, and it was much easier thanks to the character (3-0). After that, when I was in Grand Finals, the Yoshi player wanted to try different characters that he's currently practicing such as :4diddy::4littlemac::4jigglypuff:. I decided to do the same thing, because we do have time constraints and I was already proud of myself when I came to grand finals. Again, I'm not that strict and not only go to tournaments to win, but to have fun. So I tried my pocket characters (the characters that I'm deciding who to main) such as:4falcon::4megaman::4shulk::4feroy:. And that`s how I came in second place without being too hard on myself.

ZeldaZephyr

Smash Apprentice
Wow! that's really neat dude. I'm a pretty good Yoshi myself. The only problems I have with matchups is ZSS, Shiek and sometimes DeDeDe. I've been working with characters such as Bowser and Ike (my secondaries) to dish out tons of damage while being able to last long in battle due to them being heavyweight characters. I survived at 167% and manage to kill a little mac with a rage powered Up-tilt from Bowser.

Kulty

Smash Ace
LeeSmash4Me updated ''Do the Mario'' A Mario guide for SSBWiiU/3DS (COMPLETE ver. 1.1.6) with a new update entry:

Ver. 1.1.6: some small changes made to the guide

Hey guys,

Sorry for the long wait. I promised you guys to wait a bit for the next update, but unfortunately, that didn't happen. A lot has happened this past year. I was super busy and around mid of 2016, I took a huge hiatus from Smash to play something else, because I was super tired of playing the game. Plus, I decided to wait until the game patches are over and that all DLC characters have been released. Plus, wait a few months after the release of the final balance patch to update the...

Kulty

Smash Ace
LeeSmash4Me updated ''Do the Mario'' A Mario guide for SSBWiiU/3DS (COMPLETE ver. 1.1.6) with a new update entry:

Modification in the MU section

Hi guys,

As I've been getting more exposure and have a better understanding on how Smash works in general, I will re-arrange on how to proceed on my explanations regarding different matchups in the game. So first off, I'm going to start by writing MU for the most common characters seen in tournaments all the way to the lower tiers. So first, expect to see the characters in S tier (according to the recent tier list) to be completed sometime later on + how to deal with Mario:...

BluKirby

Smash Rookie
Mario does have kill set-ups though? Nair -> Jab (A standard jablock), UAir -> Fair, Bair -> Jab (Jab lock)

Kulty

Smash Ace
Mario does have kill set-ups though? Nair -> Jab (A standard jablock), UAir -> Fair, Bair -> Jab (Jab lock)
Yes. Mario may have kill set-ups, but most of them are dependent on the situation and others are pretty unsafe or hard to land. Nair and Bair to jab to lock the opponent is only good if the opponent misses their tech which doesn't happen really often at the highest level of play, because top players are always prepared to get ready to tech to avoid losing a stock really early. However, sourspot nair to jab is a reliable kill setup at mid percents after a footstool like I mentioned in the footstool combo section of the guide since Mario has a deadly footstool lock combo that is relatively easy to perform.

As for Uair to Fair, it is a good setup especially at the ledge, but it's hard to land a falling up air in neutral, because it's not that safe on shield and uair does have quite a bit of landing lag. However, if you manage to land it, it's almost a guaranteed KO if your opponent DIs towards you or doesn't DI at all and it can be hard to react to. Also, down throw to fair is guaranteed against light characters if they DI towards Mario or no DI at all. If they DI away, it's a 50-50. The setup is harder the heavier the opponent.

Hope that answers your question and thank you for reading my guide. I really don't have the time to update the guide, so listing the MU section might take a while.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom