• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do Spirits Deconfirm? Update: Min Min = Spirits Don't Deconfirm Anymore

Can Spirits still be DLC fighters?

• Total voters

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
welp what are they gonna do with my impossible dream, Black Shadow tho

use his X artwork? don't like that one all that much

discussed Octoling and Elma in their respective threads

zumaddy

Smash Ace
So does that mean you can equip Min Min on Min Min to fight the Min Min Spirit Battle for the 2nd Min Min?

We're going down a strange path.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
So wait, what did they do with the existing Min Min Spirit battle? Does she take the role of Corrin now?

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I feel like even dlc spirits could be in with a chance....eventually. Dependent on how many passes we ended up getting.

I think it's more a question of the passage of time rather than "base game spirits: good, dlc spirits: bad".

Of course this is largely a moot point if the second fighter pass is the final fighter pass. (personally I think it is the last pass) I just think as I said before it would have more to do with time rather than the fact that they're dlc.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

so this is what they'll do with Spirit promotions, append (Fighter) to their Fighter Spirit
Yea... If anybody ever claims spirits deconfirm And means it and not clowning around ignore them

The argument dead does help geno but how are they gonna do alternative of him

This is the only one of him

1593531537387.png

All I can think of is pixel stance after a battle is won

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Yea... If anybody ever claims spirits deconfirm And means it and not clowning around ignore them

View attachment 276786

Smash render as Fighter Spirit like with Cloud and Robin?

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

View attachment 276786

They could either rip artwork out of the SMRPG jigsaw puzzle, just have his Ultimate render be on its own, or use a sprite from his game (like some of the Mother series spirits).

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I checked something in game, the original Min Min Spirit Battle. No change, it's still Corrin as the opponent.
Min Min's spirit is also unchanged. It doesn't say (ARMS) at the end like some speculated.

They only change spirit names if some clash. Like two Hilda, etc.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Some change Sakurai mentioned. Hmm...he must be planning to change it next update.
Well, he said for those with Mii costumes. So it might only be DLC spirits even. So far every Mii costume happens to be a DLC one. But it could certainly happen with others. For instance, the MegaMan X battle due to his suit. Maybe not the Zero battle, since he's an AT and it would be a lot different from having a single person there. Then again, look at the Isaac battle, which used the Mii costume as is(also worth noting I can't find a way to beat that battle unless I have the spirit that gives me slow speed and super armor. I suck at dodging and focusing on the enemy. Yeish. Not as bad as some, mind you, as that one's just frustrating but you can clearly do stuff regardless your spirits. It's more difficult than outright unfair. I'd say its only issue is you can't attack the Isaac AT at best).

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Some change Sakurai mentioned. Hmm...he must be planning to change it next update.
They may not change it at all; Min Min’s Fighter Spirit has “(Fighter)” at the end of its name, while the other Fighter Spirits don’t, so, when it comes to promoted fighters, it looks like they only care about distinguishing the spirits’ names + artwork and nothing else.

Last edited:

Banjoisawesome2020

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1171-3129-5434
They may not change it at all; Min Min’s Fighter Spirit has “(Fighter)” at the end of its name, while the other Fighter Spirits don’t, so, when it comes to promoted fighters, it looks like they only care about distinguishing the spirits’ names + artwork and nothing else.
That means Shantae will probably have her classic artwork if shemakes it as her Fighter Spirit.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I wonder if Elma would use her XC2 or her alternate X artwork as her fighter spirit. And no I don’t mean the spoiler one for the latter

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I wonder if Elma would use her XC2 or her alternate X artwork as her fighter spirit. And no I don’t mean the spoiler one for the latter
well shes not getting in so it doesnt matter its an interesting thing for us all to consider for the spirits we want promoted

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I guess. The idea to repurpose it into a Spirits general support thread has been thrown around, but I’m not sure if enough people would like for it to happen.
well its still got people talking in it on a regular basis so thats something

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
It just needs a cherry on top in the form of an AT getting promoted as DLC.
In that case, AT needs effort and cost, while spirits are merely PNGs. Cannot say Nintendo really lost anything when they decided to pick the spirit character.

Relunctantly, if we were in the old days when Smash has to do trophy models for characters like Stanley from DK series, they at least mattered.

I'm aware that people sometimes focus on the wrong thing. We want the theories to be debunked so that NIntendo can be more cautious and considertate when they pick the fighters and contents. Winning or losing the argument isn't the main reason why the thoeries need to (or no need to) be debunked.

Min Min is a win win because she is deserving. If FP6 was Metal Mario and NIntendo merrily announced they debunk the spirit deconfirm theory, I don't think fans would be as hyped as now.

Gatekeepers beware.
Similiarly, I don't think Lucas can be directly compared with Min Min's case. One is a returnee and one is a new creation. I would disagree if someone say "we already have Lucas case so Min Min isn't new".

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
If Skull Kid was miraculously one of the characters, I wonder if they'd use his Majora's Mask 3D art or Hyrule Warriors

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I don't know about trophies, but the thing about Spirits were that they expanded the crossover even if a character wasn't in the roster, so they were a consolation prize of sorts. The entire first pass were all series or installments that hadn't been represented in Smash before, further supporting the theory. Min Min opened the door for older Spirits, but the general consensus is that post-launch content are off the table, because why would you make a Spirit Event when you're going to make an entire Spirit Board later on?
To be surprising, and to double up on character representation.
I could argue it makes no sense to have old Mii costumes return if the character is in, but why not? It is easy and promotes the game with work that was already completely.
It makes absolutely no sense for Chrom to be be a character AND in Robin's final smash, but he is in.
Not everything has to make 'complete sense.' Sakurai is a man who enjoys gaming and promotion, if it makes any sense at all, then its on the table.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Similarly, I don't think Lucas can be directly compared with Min Min's case. One is a returnee and one is a new creation. I would disagree if someone say "we already have Lucas case so Min Min isn't new".
To be fair, they still had to spend some time on Lucas and Mewtwo due to working with a different engine on a different system (two different systems, in fact). The different engine especially making it so they can’t just simply port them over. It’s also been implied (or outright said?) trophies took more work than spirits did, and it still works against why a lot of people argued against Spirits being promoted in the first place: “Why would they reconsider a character they already have represented in a different role? Why would they bother with them?”

As for ATs, it really wouldn’t remove much effort. ATs like Spring Man and Alucard really only have 2-3 moves at most, Spring Man just punching and rushing and Alucard just bat-dodging and slashing (he doesn’t even have an animation for slashing, it’s just a visual effect slashing at opponents). They can also just disable the AT instead of removing them, just like how most ATs are disabled on at least one stage. They likely wouldn’t care about them much, just like they didn’t care about Min Min’s spirit battle and left it the same (which is also what they did with Lucas’s and Mewtwo’s Smash 4 basegame trophies, keeping them alongside the new ones).

It’s kinda funny: I was told, by someone else, that ATs like Spring Man and Alucard have many different moves and animations like a fighter does, only for me to experience the complete opposite while trying out Min Min...

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
As for ATs, it really wouldn’t remove much effort. ATs like Spring Man and Alucard really only have 2-3 moves at most, Spring Man just punching and rushing and Alucard just bat-dodging and slashing (he doesn’t even have an animation for slashing, it’s just a visual effect slashing at opponents). They can also just disable the AT instead of removing them, just like how most ATs are disabled on at least one stage. They likely wouldn’t care about them much, just like they didn’t care about Min Min’s spirit battle and left it the same
If the devs thought ATs were as precious as anti-AT promo people think they wouldn't allow people to turn off items, and the Squid Sisters wouldn't be disabled on HALF THE ****ING STAGES. Even if you play with items you're more likely to encounter the Mii costumes.

Actually debates on whether or not ATs are done for might give this thread a purpose.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
theres already a assist trophy promotion thread
It's not really about whether or not they can be promoted. You don't see any debates on whether or not promoting one would require them to throw away 20 years of code or just be as simple as Gray Fox mentioning Snake if he's around. Or acting like you'd be paying $6 to play with a low-poly model and limited moveset.

Last edited:

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
The Spirits deconfirm thing only applied to Fighter Pass 1. In fact, I suspect Byleth might have stolen the final FP1 slot from a third-party character that took too long to develop because it makes no sense for him to have been planned for DLC when Fire Emblem Three Houses was released months after Ultimate was released and Rex ended up a Mii Costume because his game came out too late. I bet that somewhere along FP2, there will be a third-party character from a new franchise that didn't have a base game spirit on the Spirit Board, while the rest of the pass could be requested Spirit characters.

Top Bottom