• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do Spirits Deconfirm? Update: Min Min = Spirits Don't Deconfirm Anymore

Can Spirits still be DLC fighters?

• Total voters

SharkLord

Smash Hero
We've also been told in the past that Nintendo, Sakurai specifically, have said they dont like DLC that is 'content held off from base game.' So if we are just going by things said---
And we'd go off of that until proven otherwise, because that's what we have at the moment. If the information changes, expectations change accordingly. That's how speculation works.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I don't think any of the spirits introduced toward the end of the first fighter pass like the Sword and Shield ones and later ones like the RE ones are going to be strong contenders for Fighter Pass 2, but all the base game ones I feel are fair game currently

SharkLord

Smash Hero
what is the obsession with her?

dont answer that itll only confuse me
It''s not too hard to wrap your head around, really. She started out with a Game Boy Color game released towards the end of the system's life, and said game became a cult classic due to a mixture of popularity and alleged quality. She was on the backburner until recent years, where the advent of digital gaming meant her creators, WayForward, didn't need a publisher for physical copies. This allowed her to be reintroduced to modern audiences, and her popularity shot up beyond cult classic status. Basically, she's a long-running indie, and is pretty much the grandmother of Western indie games.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
We could have this topic be a general discussion for spirit characters
seems like a good idea?

It''s not too hard to wrap your head around, really. She started out with a Game Boy Color game released towards the end of the system's life, and said game became a cult classic due to a mixture of popularity and alleged quality. She was on the backburner until recent years, where the advent of digital gaming meant her creators, WayForward, didn't need a publisher for physical copies. This allowed her to be reintroduced to modern audiences, and her popularity shot up beyond cult classic status. Basically, she's a long-running indie, and is pretty much the grandmother of Western indie games.
shes that old? now i wondering why i didnt hear of her until the wii u days

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
It was wild people ever considered this a rule.
As if things that have not happened COULD not happen.

That's like saying 'its a rule we cannot have a character whose name starts with Q.'

In short... the fanbase can be incredibly small minded. Im sure I am included in that.
Pretty much,

Some people were REALLY skeptical towards Western Third Parties before Banjo's reveal and the likes of Simon were barely talked about back in Smash 4 days because of "ONE CHARACTER PER COMPANY".

SharkLord

Smash Hero
seems like a good idea?

shes that old? now i wondering why i didnt hear of her until the wii u days
As I've said, she was a fairly underground cult classic. She didn't get a second game until eight years after the first, and that was a short game on the DSiWare. She didn't break free of her cult classic status until the Wii U era, where we got Pirate's Curse as a full metroidvania successor and Half-Genie Hero's Kickstarter campaign started up. That's around when she became a popular Smash request, since she actually started getting attention then.

Pretty much,

Some people were REALLY skeptical towards Western Third Parties before Banjo's reveal and the likes of Simon were barely talked about back in Smash 4 days because of "ONE CHARACTER PER COMPANY".
Let's be honest, fan rules are broken basically every other newcomer. Who's likely and who's not is in constant flux, and whenever we think we know who it is, Sakurai throws a curveball that hits us square in the face.

Banjoisawesome2020

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1171-3129-5434
Quick heads up: Game Vice still at it. They lost a case against Nintendo for their alleged claims the Switch infringed on them, and are STILL trying to ban it. This time at the Patent's Office while wanting the Switch imports be blocked while legal action is taking place not to mention they're trying to get an appeal on their loss. These jealous punks just won't quit!

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Quick heads up: Game Vice still at it. They lost a case against Nintendo for their alleged claims the Switch infringed on them, and are STILL trying to ban it. This time at the Patent's Office while wanting the Switch imports be blocked while legal action is taking place not to mention they're trying to get an appeal on their loss. These jealous punks just won't quit!
What does this have to do with the thread's topic, exactly? If you're going to post this, I think it's wiser to do so as a status update.

Dr.DonPatch64

Smash Journeyman
Those guys are going to be screwed if they win by fans and will kill them (Not actually kill by the way.), But I doubt that will ever happen.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Wait should I actually do it?
Yes! And give 60% of all profit and credit to me because it was my idea, I'll also be taking your house.

But seriously, I think it's just a natural evolution of the thread, people will want a place to talk about potential Spirit upgrades

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Well, after this last presentation, it is definite. They DO NOT deconfirm. Base game that is. I doubt spirits that are DLC or from Events are in the running like the Astral Chain protagonists, Leon, Jill, Chris, Kunio, etc. It's up in the air but seems like that night be the case from now on.

Also, AT might be in the clear if what we have seen from the trailer and the overall treatment of Springman but that is in the air as well.

Spirits from base game are definitely good to go, at least.

:bowser:.

Dr.DonPatch64

Smash Journeyman
Well, after this last presentation, it is definite. They DO NOT deconfirm. Base game that is. I doubt spirits that are DLC or from Events are in the running like the Astral Chain protagonists, Leon, Jill, Chris, Kunio, etc. It's up in the air but seems like that night be the case from now on.

Also, AT might be in the clear if what we have seen from the trailer and the overall treatment of Springman but that is in the air as well.

Good point about DLC or event spirits, I think those spirits deconfirm characters, tho I won't go to in-depth with it

Nazyrus

Smash Champion

Yeah anything from after base game content most likely isn't getting upgraded, specially after Banjo (E3 was around the time Pass 2 was decided, so spirit events after that time most likely are 100% death sentences, like… RIP Resident Evil, for example. Altho personally I wouldn't consider ANYTHING that came out after base game content ). That's why spirit events and mii costume sections now are so freaking scary haha. Everything from base content is game imo, I just cross fingers for the most supported ones.

Also I feel like the title should be more along the lines of: Base game spirits NEVER deconfirmed.
It was all a false belief based on "muh precedents", which is what the smash community is known to fall for and get btfo'ed on a yearly basis by our man Sakurai.

Last edited:

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Base game spirits NEVER deconfirmed.
It was all a false belief based on "muh precedents", which is what the smash community is known to fall for and get btfo'ed on a yearly basis by our man Sakurai.
I wouldn’t say NEVER. I am of the belief that for FP1, spirits were chosen due to a lack of planning of them being fighters at the time, with the FP1 fighters being chosen and sorted out legally during base game development so FP1 development could start as soon as base game went gold. Since FP2 was after, the “rule” became shaky with FP2’s confirmation, taking its last breath with the ARMS rep, and dead when it was revealed to be Min Min. We don’t know for sure, but that’s my theory.

Last edited:

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
I agree. Since FP1 had Characters that were not seen for vanilla, any spirits and events that came during that and onwards are done. The only case that it's iffy to me and MIGHT be in the clear is Rex/Pyra. They were a spirit in the base game and decided as a Mii Fighter went development for the starting game ended it almost ended. So, I feel like they are the only exception to this rule, and if they are not then it's 50/50.

Sakurai was apprehensive of making them spirit/Mii Fighter so, he might compensate during the pass.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

Where one silly fan rule is cut off, three more must emerge in its place!

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Where one silly fan rule is cut off, three more must emerge in its place!
If a Spirit or Mii costume was added without a fighter, chances are they're not coming. It would make no sense at all to make a Spirit Board after releasing those Spirits beforehand, and DLC Spirits are obviously out of the running because why would you have another Three Houses Spirit Board? Some fan rules are arbitrary and restrictive, but this one's based on simple logic; If they came after the base game already, then why add them in a second time? And unlike base game Spirits, they haven't had two years to reconsider the choices for these.

Dr.DonPatch64

Smash Journeyman
If a Spirit or Mii costume was added without a fighter, chances are they're not coming. It would make no sense at all to make a Spirit Board after releasing those Spirits beforehand, and DLC Spirits are obviously out of the running because why would you have another Three Houses Spirit Board? Some fan rules are arbitrary and restrictive, but this one's based on simple logic; If they came after the base game already, then why add them in a second time? And unlike base game Spirits, they haven't had two years to reconsider the choices for these.
Just asking, when did people think they deconfirm characters?
Same with trophies in Smash 4

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Just asking, when did people think they deconfirm characters?
Same with trophies in Smash 4
I don't know about trophies, but the thing about Spirits were that they expanded the crossover even if a character wasn't in the roster, so they were a consolation prize of sorts. The entire first pass were all series or installments that hadn't been represented in Smash before, further supporting the theory. Min Min opened the door for older Spirits, but the general consensus is that post-launch content are off the table, because why would you make a Spirit Event when you're going to make an entire Spirit Board later on?

Last edited:

fxd001

Smash Rookie
I don't know about trophies, but the thing about Spirits were that they expanded the crossover even if a character wasn't in the roster, so they were a consolation prize of sorts. The entire first pass were all series or installments that hadn't been represented in Smash before, further supporting the theory. Min Min opened the door for older Spirits, but the general consensus is that post-launch content are off the table, because why would you make a Spirit Event when you're going to make an entire Spirit Board later on?
Under normal circumstances I'd have to disagree with this logic, because there's a very obvious answer to that question: to throw people off and make the eventual reveal come as more of a surprise.

It's only because of the precedent set by Byleth that I have to agree. They deliberately held off on Three Houses spirits to release them alongside Byleth, even though every other big 1st party game that year was getting a spirit event and it made Three Houses stick out like a sore thumb. That was a monumentally stupid decision if making sure each reveal was a surprise was actually something they were concerned about, so it's safe to say that they don't really care about that at this point. Odds are this is probably how they'll handle things going forward as well.

That being said, there's nothing to say they can't just randomly decide to do things differently in the future. It certainly wouldn't be the first time.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
well sakurai's not one for sense so maybe just be ready for something really odd

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

so this is what they'll do with Spirit promotions, append (Fighter) to their Fighter Spirit

Top Bottom