• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do Spirits Deconfirm? Update: Min Min = Spirits Don't Deconfirm Anymore

Can Spirits still be DLC fighters?

• Total voters

Dr.DonPatch64

Smash Journeyman
My problem with the spirit deconfirm theory is, if Nintendo acknowledge it, it would exclude tons of unused franchises that deserve a slot, and that's a pretty bad thing. I think NIntendo might be aware of that and was forced to break the rule anyway.

But I still need to note that Min Min is hyping because she represents an unused first party franchise, if the following choices of DLCs do not meet the standard Min Min set, people wouldn't be really happy about the victory in the end.

Anyway still, since spirit was defined to be "failed characters" by NIntendo themselves, I'd want them to make official announcement about how the spirit theory works, not like they should just ignroe it and let fans fight.
I think Min Min having a normal spirit and fighter spirit is bit weird.

Giga Man

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, this theory only held up for the first pass since that was planned during development of the game, so they already had an idea of where they wanted all those characters to end up. Pass 2 was planned later, so the theory holds no more weight.

One could say, "Well, the most popular ARMS characters were spirits already, so none of the others were worth considering!" While I 100% agree with that statement, that doesn't mean anything when at the end of the day Nintendo can do whatever they want.

Dr.DonPatch64

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, this theory only held up for the first pass since that was planned during development of the game, so they already had an idea of where they wanted all those characters to end up. Pass 2 was planned later, so the theory holds no more weight.

One could say, "Well, the most popular ARMS characters were spirits already, so none of the others were worth considering!" While I 100% agree with that statement, that doesn't mean anything when at the end of the day Nintendo can do whatever they want.
You are Right on, Nintendo can do What they want to do, It's up to them to choose, which they already did.

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
So Spirits don’t deconfirm characters anymore, but do Assist Trophies still deconfirm characters? That’s what I’m still wondering. If a Spirit can be a DLC Fighter, can an Assist Trophy also be a DLC Fighter? I know these questions might sound crazy and stupid at the same time, but does this raise possibilities for them?

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
So Spirits don’t deconfirm characters anymore, but do Assist Trophies still deconfirm characters? That’s what I’m still wondering. If a Spirit can be a DLC Fighter, can an Assist Trophy also be a DLC Fighter? I know these questions might sound crazy and stupid at the same time, but does this raise possibilities for them?
I still say they don't (especially with Min Min), but we'll ultimately have to wait and see.

Banjoisawesome2020

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1171-3129-5434
It's interesting, to see what stuff sakurai can add
Oh yeah! Debunks Spirits rule, brings in every fighter and most important of all, brought Banjo & Kazooie home. Is there nothing he can't do? I want Sakurai to work on the next generation of Pokemon! He'd do a lot better than Game Freak has been right now.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
So far, the general consensus seems to be that the rule took a hit, but nothing concrete yet. From the sound of it, Sakurai just went to Yabuki to see what he wanted, Yabuki wanted Min Min, and so Yabuki got Min Min. With ARMS' ensemble cast, it seemed like Spring Man could had been considered if Yabuki requested him, but he wasn't, and that's why he wasn't included rather than the Assist Trophy. Again, nothing concrete, but I wouldn't write them off just yet.

Chaosmaster8753

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ChaoticZelos3578
3DS FC
2750-1187-7177
So far, the general consensus seems to be that the rule took a hit, but nothing concrete yet. From the sound of it, Sakurai just went to Yabuki to see what he wanted, Yabuki wanted Min Min, and so Yabuki got Min Min. With ARMS' ensemble cast, it seemed like Spring Man could had been considered if Yabuki requested him, but he wasn't, and that's why he wasn't included rather than the Assist Trophy. Again, nothing concrete, but I wouldn't write them off just yet.
Would be neat to get more elaboration on how Min Min and Ninjara ended up being Sakurai's choices over Spring Man if there's more reasons than the latter being an assist trophy.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
something about eggman looks off there, or is it just me
They're all pretty distorted there, but I see what you mean. I think it's the glasses; One looks to be partially covered by the eyelid, like a real eye, while the other goes in front, like a standard set of glasses.

Giga Man

Smash Journeyman
Would be neat to get more elaboration on how Min Min and Ninjara ended up being Sakurai's choices over Spring Man if there's more reasons than the latter being an assist trophy.
Sakurai was thinking of both Min Min and Ninjara probably because they're both popular. While Min Min won the Party Crash Bash, Ninjara was the runner-up.

What spirit characters are the most popular
Most likely Geno, Rayman, and Shantae. Coincidentally, all 3rd party-owned characters. They made it into Ultimate as spirits because of their high request rate.

Last edited:

Dr.DonPatch64

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai was thinking of both Min Min and Ninjara probably because they're both popular. While Min Min won the Party Crash Bash, Ninjara was the runner-up.

Most likely Geno, Rayman, and Shantae. Coincidentally, all 3rd party-owned characters. They made it into Ultimate as spirits because of their high request rate.
Is there anyone else

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
What spirit characters are the most popular
Bandanna Dee, Geno, Dixie Kong, Elma, Rayman and Shantae. These are the most bought up characters when it comes to Spirits (not counting characters that are Spirits and already have another role like Rex who is also a costume and Isaac who is also an AT)

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Is there a point in keeping this thread open when we have our answer?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Would Octoling Girl & Octoling Boy count too?

and Black Shadow?

MattX20

Smash Hero
With spirits (at least those from the base game) no longer deconfirming fighters, the debate of who'll be upgraded next will be one that will rage for a while and whether or not it'll go beyond 2 fighters

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
It was wild people ever considered this a rule.
As if things that have not happened COULD not happen.

That's like saying 'its a rule we cannot have a character whose name starts with Q.'

In short... the fanbase can be incredibly small minded. Im sure I am included in that.

MattX20

Smash Hero

That's like saying 'its a rule we cannot have a character whose name starts with Q.'

In short... the fanbase can be incredibly small minded. Im sure I am included in that.
I never viewed base game spirits to deconfirm fighters apart from the first fighter pass since they were decided around the same time, not so much for season 2

SharkLord

Smash Hero

But the thing is, they were explicitly stated to be a way of adding characters who didn't make the roster. There was also the Fighter Spirits, which were unequippable and therefore set standard Spirits apart from the playable characters. Also, the Nipper Plant could be enhanced into Petey Piranha instead of Piranha Plant, who would've made more sense. Lastly, Reggie said all the characters would be new to Smash, and the everyone from the first pass had never appeared in Smash before. Just because they're no longer a deconfirmation doesn't mean they didn't have precedent before.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
But the thing is, they were explicitly stated to be a way of adding characters who didn't make the roster. There was also the Fighter Spirits, which were unequippable and therefore set standard Spirits apart from the playable characters. Also, the Nipper Plant could be enhanced into Petey Piranha instead of Piranha Plant, who would've made more sense. Lastly, Reggie said all the characters would be new to Smash, and the everyone from the first pass had never appeared in Smash before. Just because they're no longer a deconfirmation doesn't mean they didn't have precedent before.
Yes... and we were also told we were only getting 5 DLC. We are told many things until they change.
As soon as DLC existed, it obsoleted anything that 'didnt make it into the game.'

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Yes... and we were also told we were only getting 5 DLC. We are told many things until they change.
As soon as DLC existed, it obsoleted anything that 'didnt make it into the game.'
The Spirits were announced in the same Direct as the DLC, and were most likely planned alongside the DLC. The second pass was speculated to throw a wrench in the Spirits argument and it did, but we didn't know that for sure until Min Min came in and explicitly said "Spirits are valid again." Things can change, but we still base our expectations off of official statements until proven otherwise, because that's all we know at the time.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
The Spirits were announced in the same Direct as the DLC, and were most likely planned alongside the DLC. The second pass was speculated to throw a wrench in the Spirits argument and it did, but we didn't know that for sure until Min Min came in and explicitly said "Spirits are valid again." Things can change, but we still base our expectations off of official statements until proven otherwise, because that's all we know at the time.
We've also been told in the past that Nintendo, Sakurai specifically, have said they dont like DLC that is 'content held off from base game.' So if we are just going by things said---

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
My personal most wanted character is a spirit in the base game, so his chances of being playable are stronger now than they were before

Top Bottom