• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do Spirits Deconfirm? Update: Min Min = Spirits Don't Deconfirm Anymore

Can Spirits still be DLC fighters?

• Total voters

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
No they weren't. You're misreading it a lot.
says the person who saw "sakurai does not chose the characters" and concludes he was against all those characters and who thought my argument was that everything in the game was 100% bias rather than just it was clearly there

now what part of "im done" dont you get?

Last edited:

Lenidem

Smash Lord
now what part of "im done" dont you get?
''I'm done'' is not a magical sentence assuring the one who writes it to have the last word. If the interlocutor still has something to say, he can say it.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
look

for what its worth

im sorry for upsetting everyone and i ask beth uriel that we just agree to respectfully disagree and move on with the discussion proper

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
look

for what its worth

im sorry for upsetting everyone and i ask beth uriel that we just agree to respectfully disagree and move on with the discussion proper
Worth noting I didn't even know till your last post that I misunderstood you. I was legitimately confused with your previous post too, hence not replying at all. There was nothing to really say.

If we misunderstand you, just point out you meant something else(the sooner the better, as it makes discussion easier on everyone's end). It's no big deal. We'd rather understand your point correctly, regardless of agreeing or disagreeing. Nobody was intending to misread you, after all.

Apology accepted. :)

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Worth noting I didn't even know till your last post that I misunderstood you. I was legitimately confused with your previous post too, hence not replying at all. There was nothing to really say.

If we misunderstand you, just point out you meant something else(the sooner the better, as it makes discussion easier on everyone's end). It's no big deal. We'd rather understand your point correctly, regardless of agreeing or disagreeing. Nobody was intending to misread you, after all.

Apology accepted. :)
its my own fault for letting myself get so wound up over a difference of opinion as it were

Super Toaster

Smash Cadet
I'm still not sure how likely it is considering the mii costumes were added not that long ago, but man I would really like to see Tails or Knuckles.

Or even better: Eggman

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'm still not sure how likely it is considering the mii costumes were added not that long ago, but man I would really like to see Tails or Knuckles.

Or even better: Eggman
They were probably added before Pass 2 was under consideration, which may have been as early as Hero(since it's the earliest case where some costumes could've been moved to Pass 2. Geno and Chocobo Hat are both missing. We also saw the leftover data slots that pointed to way more characters than Pass 1 quite a bit before Hero was announced, so it was pretty easy to tell another Pass or bonus characters were thought of). So maybe around March or May of last year? Which gives a lot of time to renegotiate how to use the remaining two SE costumes(and possibly not license one so he can be playable). Licensing takes time, of course, but they clearly did have time. At least a month. Since the two were recorded in May, to be ready for June, and they were recorded together.

Unfortunately that also means, if this theory is correct, anything beyond Joker was likely determined with Pass 2 in mind and the costumes there were probably not going to be playable characters either. Not that they can't be, but it looks a lot less likely. So Tails and Knuckles are in a pretty good spot. But those and only the base game costumes appear to be as plausible as any Spirit right now from the base game(and possibly later, depending various contexts of when they were figured out. Some might've been done massively in advance. They take a lot less time than costumes since it's more the specifics and just throwing it all together. You don't need to do model coding. The game already has settings for all kind of spirit battle hazards. So while it obviously takes time, it's probably fairly easy to do as is. There's a lot more spirits than costumes, too). AT's are a different story and opinion. Especially since we don't have a clear answer with Spring Man beyond "he didn't really mention the AT", but we don't know if he was just outright considered at that point by Sakurai, and even then, he was given a character choice by Nintendo first, not picking a list, so who he considers means little for everyone beyond PP among all the DLC. Not that it's impossible for Nintendo to give him a franchise and let him choose who could work the best, but there's nothing to suggest that as plausible either.

It would be nice if we knew more of when the passes were started to be determined. We only have small tidbits at best. And nothing even like that for Pass 2. Pass 1 already told us some information for when Banjo & Kazooie were on the table, for instance. But beyond that, we just know the end date. And of course there's going to be claims by insiders, which is still more helpful than nothing.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
he was given a character choice by Nintendo first, not picking a list, so who he considers means little for everyone beyond PP among all the DLC
Wouldn't the process in which Min Min was chosen, in which Sakurai was also considering Ninjara before Yabuki requested Min Min, mean Nintendo's list could say things like "ARMS fighter", "Dragon Quest fighter", etc. instead of just specific character names?

I do think Joker would've been specifically named by Nintendo instead of "Persona fighter" though, alongside Banjo-Kazooie.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Wouldn't the process in which Min Min was chosen mean Nintendo's list could say things like "ARMS fighter", "Dragon Quest fighter", etc. instead of just specific character names?

I do think Joker would've been specifically named by Nintendo instead of "Persona fighter" though, alongside Banjo-Kazooie.
No.

Because as noted, Nintendo chooses the "characters" specifically. He's said this more than once.

There's literally zero reason to believe it was just franchises. There's zero data on that and it's basically just stretching it right now to make it sound like Sakurai was making some personal choices. He wasn't. Literally none of Pass 1 was his personal choice either. Which already kills that theory. Only Pass 2 could've had that, and he still is saying the exact words. "Nintendo is choosing the characters, not me." He's pretty clear at this point.

Sometimes it's literally at face value and that's it.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
There's zero data on that and it's basically just stretching it right now to make it sound like Sakurai was making some personal choices. He wasn't.
I know that. It's just that the way Sakurai was talking doesn't make it seem like Min Min specifically was on the higher-ups at Nintendo's list unless Yabuki put it on there.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
miscommunication

I know that. It's just that the way Sakurai was talking doesn't make it seem like Min Min specifically was on the higher-ups at Nintendo's list unless Yabuki put it on there.
well from what weve been told i would surmise that nintendo suggested just any arms characters, sakurai then tried to chose between ninjara and min min and while in talks with yabuki he said use min min and sakurai agreed

thats just my interpretation mind you

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
That's exactly why it was put there. He suggested it, and Nintendo brought it up to Sakurai. That's what he pretty much means by saying Yabuki requested the character. And it has to be requested to Nintendo first since they outright choose the characters, not Sakurai.

It's pretty much as simple as it sounds. Nintendo, regardless of why(promotional reasons, character requests, ones they think are a cool idea, etc.), is giving Sakurai a character one at a time, which they discuss and figure out if they're workable or not.

So... pretty much what he's said constantly.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
What Sakurai said about Hero and Slime also makes it sound like Nintendo may focus more on the franchise in general sometimes, though of course they’d still have to give the OK for whatever character Sakurai picks if they go that route instead of wanting a specific one directly. Maybe they also consider multiple, specific characters like Sakurai does.

Last edited:
Top Bottom