• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do Ryu and Ken play like they do in Street Fighter?

RetroWizard

Smash Rookie
Hey! I never had the dlc for smash 4 so i was wondering if Ryu and Ken play like how they do in Street Fighter? I'm a big fan of Street Fighter so I hope they play a little like how they do in those games. Like if I do quarter circle forward punch will I shoot a Hadouken? or is it like side b?

Jayordan

Smash Cadet
If you do a QCF then press the normal attack button you will do a hadouken yes. Same for if you do the DP motion and then press attack or QCB attack for tatsu. Also in ultimate Ryu/Ken instantly face their opponents in 1v1's to make it more like their original games.

RetroWizard

Smash Rookie
If you do a QCF then press the normal attack button you will do a hadouken yes. Same for if you do the DP motion and then press attack or QCB attack for tatsu. Also in ultimate Ryu/Ken instantly face their opponents in 1v1's to make it more like their original games.
Thanks a bunch!

Shieldlesscap

Smash Apprentice
Yes and no.

Obviously since Smash only has 2 attack buttons, the way you do things is different. For Ryu and Ken, all of your normals have a light and a heavy variant depending on if you tap or hold the button. For example, as Ryu, tapping Jab will do Ryu's light punch into what I think is a target combo (Not entirely sure because I got into SF through SFV and I main Ken), and holding it will do his Heavy Kick (Ken's Medium Kick in SFV, might also be Medium for Ryu but I'm pretty sure it's Heavy). This does not apply for aerials, Smashes, and Dash Attack, which only have 1 attack each.

Specials are where it starts getting cool. You can do an input with a button or with the commands from SF, where the input version is stronger. The following moves can be done as input or button specials as either Ryu or Ken:
- Hadoken (Neutral B)
- Shoryuken (Up B)
- Tatsumaki Senpukyaku (Side B)

The longer you hold the button determines how strong the special is, and in Ken's case, only the Heavy Shoryuken has fire effects. Also, on the topic of specials, both characters have Focus Attack as Down B, and both can FADC out of it.

Ryu and Ken also have their own command inputs that you can't do with a button. They are:
Ryu:
- Shakunetsu Hadoken
Ken:
- Nata Otoshi Geri
- Oosoto Mawashi Geri

So in general, the characters play sort of like they do in game, but the way you execute normals is different, and the general feel of the game is obviously different. One of the biggest things I noticed having only recently picked up SF is that Shoryuken is not a viable anti-air, mostly because it's your main kill move and you don't want to stale it at low percent.

Either way, I'm really looking forward to trying Ken in Ultimate, from what I've played he's really fun.

malicecrossrevolver

Smash Apprentice
The same fundamentals from all the SF games carry over.

You have to work for your combos, and boy do they feel satisfying. Personally I never do the same move twice, and when I run into a character like Mario who believes constant up-tilt is a combo, I switch modes and spam up-tilt on them.

Ryu can be a very honorable character. The spacing is also different from other smash characters, so your opponent doesn't know if he is body-ing you, or is about to get Shoryukened in the face.

Top Bottom