• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do Not Upgrade Your Wii Through Nintendo Ever

Dai Tian

Smash Journeyman
This has been posted somewhere in these threads I'm sure but I would like some clarification. If I don't really care for the 4.0/4.1 SD card channel, what would be the other benefits to updating (Through NUS and other stuff) to 4.0/4.1 from 3.3?

illinialex24

Smash Hero
You get SDHC support for the Wii system menu, you still get the trucha bug which is great if you use Dop IOS and still keep everything.

It also keeps the ability to run just about everything, and I believe from 3.3 everything.

Alphatron

Smash Champion
So long as running new games through Gecko OS doesn't give me a black screen, I'm good.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
I'm confused on the technical details of why they can fix stuff like that, and the glitch in Wii Sports Resort, but they can't give Brawl SDHC support.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Because Brawl wasn't made to recognize SDHC cards and even though they can give the IOS the ability to support SDHC, any Brawl version already out will not support SDHC.

BTW, there is no 4.3 yet......

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
Because Brawl wasn't made to recognize SDHC cards and even though they can give the IOS the ability to support SDHC, any Brawl version already out will not support SDHC.

BTW, there is no 4.3 yet......
Ah, my bad then. I'm away from home and I haven't looked on there for a while. I was pretty sure that it was 4.3. If not that then it is 4.2.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
thank you! it has a phone number in it so that regular wii users who have thier wii corrupted can call and get it fixed for free

walter01

Smash Cadet
one quick question, I've never used HBC to do the manual updates, how would I do it so that I wont be forced to update when NSB wii comes out? same for galaxy 2 and other amazing games everyone will buy later.

I'm sorry for the noob question XD

Beren Zaiga

Smash Ace
I updated and I luckily have had no problem whatsoever so far.

I am officially 4.2 and happy about for the fact I don't have to worry so far.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Off topic but.......

It’s really sad, but that wasn’t exaggerated at all. The first reports about bricks due to this official boot2 update are reported on Nintendo’s forums. Replies, which Ninty doesn’t like, are getting deleted. Anyway, it’s up to you if you want to risk it.

Nintendo has a forum?

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Yeah, I've been banned from it like 5 times. Tech support forum.

Apparently telling people the only safe update is to get Homebrew is considered against Nintendo policy.

**** their souls.

Dan_X

Smash Lord
Their forums are terrible. You get banned for saying the 'H' word, 'H' being Homebrew ofcourse. They sensor to the extreme, only what they want spoken of is kept unscathed.

Nintendo sucks.

Btw, in the event that the Wii bricked during the 4.2 update can they even tell if your Wii was modded? I mean, if you sent it into Ninty how can they tell if your Wii was modded or not based on the fact that it's bricked and they can't do anything with it?

libertyernie

Smash Ace
They could probably find the Homebrew Channel and/or DVDx on it, if they have some way of looking in the flash memory of a bricked Wii.
I totally understand why Nintendo doesn't want homebrew on their consoles. Obviously, homebrew (unfortunately) enables piracy.
Of course, Nintendo also hates things like Action Replay - they sued the makers of Game Genie back in the NES era, and lost.

Alphatron

Smash Champion
If your wii is bricked, they'll send you a new wii. No idea what they do with the old one.

Top Bottom