• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Do I really have to force myself to use a GC Controller?

MasterBrawler129

Smash Rookie
NNID
Mario6233
3DS FC
3411-4510-1329
Switch FC
SW 4874-3935-3296
Hello fellow Smash Bros. Community. I've come to you all with a very crucial problem I'm having. I recently lost my Pro Controller. Long story short, no exaggeration, I've never lost it before, this is the first time. Been missing for several months, can't find it. My question is, if I plan on attending Smash 4 tournaments, is there any good wired versions of the Wii U Pro Controller? Or do I have to settle with a Gamecube Controller?

fufuplays

Smash Rookie
is your problem the interference with other devices causing more lag on pro controller? you can take out batteries and use a charger for pro controller and plug into wii u. If your question is to use pro controller or gc controller, there is little reason to switch to gc controller, no real advantages.

Phrygian

Smash Rookie
Correct me if I'm wrong, but when you connect the pro controller to a wii u, it will pair with the wii, but it will only transmit power, not data. This means that it is not necessarily a good option to bring to an environment where a lot of interference is expected. A gamecube controller on the other hand is connected to the wii u and will transmit data. This makes the gamecube controller a much better choice if interference is an issue. I have never played with a pro controller but the way it looks, you get one extra button which can be nice, but the gamecube controller is not horrible unless your control setup is bidou. A week of playing on a gamecube controller should have you mostly adjusted.

MasterBrawler129

Smash Rookie
NNID
Mario6233
3DS FC
3411-4510-1329
Switch FC
SW 4874-3935-3296
is your problem the interference with other devices causing more lag on pro controller? you can take out batteries and use a charger for pro controller and plug into wii u. If your question is to use pro controller or gc controller, there is little reason to switch to gc controller, no real advantages.
No. My problem is that I don't know how many tournaments would allow the pro controller with it's charger plugged in with no battery. Locals and Other types of tournaments alike. Do you by any chance know Any iterations of the pro controller that doesn't use a wireless feature?

Last edited:

MasterBrawler129

Smash Rookie
NNID
Mario6233
3DS FC
3411-4510-1329
Switch FC
SW 4874-3935-3296
Correct me if I'm wrong, but when you connect the pro controller to a wii u, it will pair with the wii, but it will only transmit power, not data. This means that it is not necessarily a good option to bring to an environment where a lot of interference is expected. A gamecube controller on the other hand is connected to the wii u and will transmit data. This makes the gamecube controller a much better choice if interference is an issue. I have never played with a pro controller but the way it looks, you get one extra button which can be nice, but the gamecube controller is not horrible unless your control setup is bidou. A week of playing on a gamecube controller should have you mostly adjusted.
Well yeah I think that is true. It's the reason I asked is there any 3rd party versions of the pro controller that are wired and don't use bluetooth or anything like that. Or at least a Gamecube controller that resembles a pro :(
I'll try to adjust to a gc tho

Crosstails20

Smash Journeyman
It is not that bad. I know that this answer is somewhat cliche, but use whatever makes you feel comfortable. Don't go for the more tourney viable controller because everyone else is using them. Everything is tourney viable, but some are more than others.

However, if I had to chose I would choose I would choose the Game Cube because the Joysticks are in a preferable spot for me, but for you could prefer the joystick placements on the pro more.

I personally use a combo of the classic and classic pro. Classic for certain activities such as clubs, friendlies, and Brawl, but if I want to step it up then I will use the Classic Pro, because it has arms and between the 2 the Classic Pro is a better controller gameplay wise, it allows me to do faster inputs without losing control, so I use it for PM and the smash 4 tournament scene. Not only because it is comfortable for me, but it gives me a little bit more recognition, whether it is the guy who holds up the game or the underdog I like being noticed like that.

MasterBrawler129

Smash Rookie
NNID
Mario6233
3DS FC
3411-4510-1329
Switch FC
SW 4874-3935-3296
It is not that bad. I know that this answer is somewhat cliche, but use whatever makes you feel comfortable. Don't go for the more tourney viable controller because everyone else is using them. Everything is tourney viable, but some are more than others.

However, if I had to chose I would choose I would choose the Game Cube because the Joysticks are in a preferable spot for me, but for you could prefer the joystick placements on the pro more.

I personally use a combo of the classic and classic pro. Classic for certain activities such as clubs, friendlies, and Brawl, but if I want to step it up then I will use the Classic Pro, because it has arms and between the 2 the Classic Pro is a better controller gameplay wise, it allows me to do faster inputs without losing control, so I use it for PM and the smash 4 tournament scene. Not only because it is comfortable for me, but it gives me a little bit more recognition, whether it is the guy who holds up the game or the underdog I like being noticed like that.
but doesn't the Classic and Classic pro need the Wiimote to work? And the wiimote is wireless as well? From what I'm seeing, I'm gonna have to use Pro at tournaments for now then go on to the GC controller when I go to tournaments like EVO or Pax tourneys bc they say the bluetooth causes interference. So they ban them.

Crosstails20

Smash Journeyman
No that is not it, you can use any controller you want, the pro controller has more buttons than the Game Cube, so if you want to you can use techniques like bidou.

Top Bottom