• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do I have to get UCF?

KirinKQP

Smash Journeyman
The UCF mod is definitely larger and the large tournaments are using it too. I am not sure if local tournaments use the mod or not, but if they do, I will be a little under everyone else because the mod looks like it changes angles which impact my gameplay. Do I have to get the mod? If so, does it only work on the normal .iso of Melee (I use a homebrew, Nintendont wii), or can it work on 20XX?

Daweeg

Smash Rookie
It is in 20XXTE, but not standard 20XX. I believe with Dolphin you can get it with Gecko codes. If you have 20XX you can use it to make a 20XXTE card

Bones0

Smash Legend
Many locals have started transitioning to UCF, but it does not alter angles the way you seem to think it does. The first main change is it gives you an extra frame to dash back. Pretty much all controllers have at least 50% consistency with smash turns, and if your controller is older/worn in, it's possible it has even better consistency than that. Even if you practice without UCF, you are likely going to be performing the dash the same way regardless, so that won't have a huge impact on you.

The second main change is it prevents spotdodging when using the lower 45 degree notches for shield dropping. If you practice without UCF, you will probably have to be much more delicate with the precision of your stick by stopping it before it reaches the notch in order to shield drop properly. This type of input is slower than relying on the notches as is customary in UCF, but whatever motion you practice for shield dropping on vanilla will still work on UCF. You just won't be taking advantage of the notch method as much as people who have practiced on UCF.

I don't think you can use it on 20xx, but I would not be surprised if the release an updated version of 20xx relatively soon with UCF codes built in. Alternatively, I think you can use a vanilla iso on your Wii and load UCF with that. And of course, you can always go buy a copy of the disc and start your Wii normally. All in all, practicing on UCF is not going to change that much for you, it's pretty much just shield dropping. It's important at medium-high levels, but if you're a relatively new player it will hardly affect you at all. You can still practice any other techniques that involve angles and they will work the same on UCF as they do on vanilla.

RafsterMC

Smash Rookie
You can use UCF with both 20XX and Vanilla Melee on Nintendont. You have to download the gecko code from the 20XXTE page and then go to GeckoCodes.org's online GCT Creator (http://geckocodes.org/index.php?gct=). Click "add more codes", copy-paste the code into the box, put a title on the line above it (Not in title ID, in the same box), and click add codes. Check the box with the code's name next to it, enter the title id (GALE01) and download the GCT. Find the downloaded GCT and change the name from "GALE01.gct" to "game.gct". Then, put the GCT into the same folder as your melee iso on your USB/SD. Once you've started up nintendont, remember to have cheats enabled, and it should work. If you're using 20XX, don't have 2-frame smash window enabled.

Sorry if I was too descriptive or not descriptive enough, all I know is that there is/was no guide for this, so I had to figure it out myself.

Last edited:

winst

Smash Rookie
RafsterMC said:
Sorry if I was too descriptive or not descriptive enough, all I know is that there is/was no guide for this, so I had to figure it out myself.
It was perfectly detailed. Thank you!

Top Bottom