• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dmon wonders how does one fight a Yoshi?

Filler Dmon

Smash Cadet
Hi there! I wanna get good, so I gotta make the effort into doing so!

I went to a tourny a few days ago, and got bodied by Scatt. Fine, fair, it happens (extra fine since he won it in the end, not that I can say anything against Fatality). But as I was making my way up through losers, I met a pretty darn good Yoshi; [LiT] Kamakazi. And he tore me apart.

I use Corrin and Pikachu, and I took him to Lylat, then I believe Battlefield, in order. I do remember the Yoshi banning Final Destination, though; I thought Yoshis would have liked that stage. Then again, I have so little experience with Yoshis because I don't get as many of them on For-Glory as I would like. I got to fight one at a more casual level tournament, and that

The player was better than me, no question's asked, but it felt like I could have done better in the matches than I did. Corrin v Yoshi came close, but Pikachu got absolutely screwed, and I'm honestly not sure where I went wrong in how I played, aside from just needing to get better.

Wish I had footage of that match, but sadly I don't. Here's a link of his Yoshi, if that helps. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97wJBoEgNQQ
Less relevant is my Corrin, I suppose... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beqaGaxhL8Q

How does a Pikachu and Corrin main fight Yoshi? I'm most perplexed by him banning Final D; does Yoshi do worse on roomy-stages than he does platformy-stages? Do either Pikachu or Corrin just have native disadvantages against Yoshi, or was there just that wide a gulf in our skills? Any tips to keep in mind in the future?

AAA Battery

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0216-1897-1891
Hi there! I wanna get good, so I gotta make the effort into doing so!

I went to a tourny a few days ago, and got bodied by Scatt. Fine, fair, it happens (extra fine since he won it in the end, not that I can say anything against Fatality). But as I was making my way up through losers, I met a pretty darn good Yoshi; [LiT] Kamakazi. And he tore me apart.

I use Corrin and Pikachu, and I took him to Lylat, then I believe Battlefield, in order. I do remember the Yoshi banning Final Destination, though; I thought Yoshis would have liked that stage. Then again, I have so little experience with Yoshis because I don't get as many of them on For-Glory as I would like. I got to fight one at a more casual level tournament, and that

The player was better than me, no question's asked, but it felt like I could have done better in the matches than I did. Corrin v Yoshi came close, but Pikachu got absolutely screwed, and I'm honestly not sure where I went wrong in how I played, aside from just needing to get better.

Wish I had footage of that match, but sadly I don't. Here's a link of his Yoshi, if that helps. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97wJBoEgNQQ
Less relevant is my Corrin, I suppose... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beqaGaxhL8Q

How does a Pikachu and Corrin main fight Yoshi? I'm most perplexed by him banning Final D; does Yoshi do worse on roomy-stages than he does platformy-stages? Do either Pikachu or Corrin just have native disadvantages against Yoshi, or was there just that wide a gulf in our skills? Any tips to keep in mind in the future?
Mmm. I will say that I have no experience in fighting Pikachu or Corrin, but I do main Yoshi. So I will just say that I learned that Lylat actually is a stage Yoshi wants to go to. But also, Yoshi will naturally try to rush you down. So characters with range like Corrin or especially Cloud will force a Yoshi to play a lot more campy if they hope to tack on meaningful damage without being combo meat. And mastering the tippers is essential if you wish to challenge Yoshi off stage. His double jump has armor and tipping will be a huge asset to fighting him off stage.

Filler Dmon

Smash Cadet
Mmm. I will say that I have no experience in fighting Pikachu or Corrin, but I do main Yoshi. So I will just say that I learned that Lylat actually is a stage Yoshi wants to go to. But also, Yoshi will naturally try to rush you down. So characters with range like Corrin or especially Cloud will force a Yoshi to play a lot more campy if they hope to tack on meaningful damage without being combo meat. And mastering the tippers is essential if you wish to challenge Yoshi off stage. His double jump has armor and tipping will be a huge asset to fighting him off stage.
I wouldn't mind practicing against a Yoshi main online (internet providing), and in this case granting some halfway decent experience against Pikachu and Corrin in the process.

So essentially, my defeat seems to have been ensured entirely because of my lack of experience, then. I like to play a rush-down style approach myself, and really didn't respect that Yoshi could do a better job of it than I can. Is his frame data really that much better than even Pikachu's? (Edit: Not that I'm implying that Pikachu has the highest; what I meant to say is that I would have thought that a Pikachu could have kept up relatively well in the "Offensive Rush" vs "Offensive Rush" department. I can fully appreciate that Corrin's better off defending than attacking, so to speak.)

In terms of tips to think of in the future, pick stages that are as roomy as possible, and when in For-Glory against a random Yoshi, be patient? I definitely should have figured something was up about what I thought I knew when the stage I -thought- would have been picked was the one that was banned. Though that kind of "check your own thinking" is hard to do when you've got tournament nerves and had to fight a few matches in a row with no cool-down.

Last edited:

AAA Battery

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0216-1897-1891
I wouldn't mind practicing against a Yoshi main online (internet providing), and in this case granting some halfway decent experience against Pikachu and Corrin in the process.

So essentially, my defeat seems to have been ensured entirely because of my lack of experience, then. I like to play a rush-down style approach myself, and really didn't respect that Yoshi could do a better job of it than I can. Is his frame data really that much better than even Pikachu's? (Edit: Not that I'm implying that Pikachu has the highest; what I meant to say is that I would have thought that a Pikachu could have kept up relatively well in the "Offensive Rush" vs "Offensive Rush" department. I can fully appreciate that Corrin's better off defending than attacking, so to speak.)

In terms of tips to think of in the future, pick stages that are as roomy as possible, and when in For-Glory against a random Yoshi, be patient? I definitely should have figured something was up about what I thought I knew when the stage I -thought- would have been picked was the one that was banned. Though that kind of "check your own thinking" is hard to do when you've got tournament nerves and had to fight a few matches in a row with no cool-down.
Yeah I hear you. I actually got eliminated Losers Round 3 at my first tournament fighting a Cloud. Turns out Yoshi can't reliably punish Cloud's Nair. But sorry, I'm really not the biggest help you can find for a topic like matchup experience. There are likely other threads that can grant some knowledge on the matter. I'll be studying more of this myself as Corrin is someone I refuse to sleep on.

muddykips

Smash Apprentice
NNID
skippykips
3DS FC
3609-1085-1849
Playing rushdown against Yoshi isn't really a good idea if you don't know the matchup. Makes it easier for him to land a kill move.

I don't think picking "roomy stages" will really do much; it sounds more like they banned FD because they personally dislike the stage. Kind of like how I tend to ban Lylat not because I feel it's bad for Yoshi, I just don't like the stage regardless of who I'm playing as. Middle platform being low feels weird, and the tilt feels janky to me, but that's it.

There's a lot of ways to play Yoshi, so you'd probably just have to get a feel for how each person plays. Maybe they banned FD because they play rushdown, so that just in case you were a campy player, it'd be harder to run away? Or maybe they just like having platforms, so FD was a no-go?

In any case, definitely pick Corrin over Pikachu in this MU imo. Corrin's sword can negate a lot of stuff Yoshi might try, or corner him altogether, since Yoshi doesn't have much of an answer against disjoints besides poking carefully, hoping the opponent overextends, or just committing hard to an approach.

Last edited:

Filler Dmon

Smash Cadet
Yeah I hear you. I actually got eliminated Losers Round 3 at my first tournament fighting a Cloud. Turns out Yoshi can't reliably punish Cloud's Nair. But sorry, I'm really not the biggest help you can find for a topic like matchup experience. There are likely other threads that can grant some knowledge on the matter. I'll be studying more of this myself as Corrin is someone I refuse to sleep on.
My sympathies. And I appreciate -any- advice. Scatt was nice enough to give me a pair of tips, one of which I've been making -extensive- use of. I've been under-using Corrin's "Lance of Longinus". From my experiments so far, her Side-B shouldn't just be her ace-in-the-hole, but one of her main weapons in the Neutral Game. So long as you space it right (trying to get tipper each time because Jesus Christ it doesn't seem to stale!), you can keep your hurt box out of range for a decent number of characters. And the more you poke them shields, the deeper that tip gets to -their- hurt box. Also, I should apparently be using her Dair (which I normally consider little more than set-up bait for the other player) a bit more than "never", if only because it does deal with a decent number of aerial attacks. I wonder if it can drill through Yoshi's Uair or Nair.

If I had to note weaknesses in the match up, it's that Corrin's gotta read kills like they've been written in Braille, and if you can get her off stage, you can end her. She's got like 8 solid kill moves (All 3 Smashes, All Specials but Up (and even that's gotten a surprise kill or two off of a missed input), Her Up/Down Throw, and her Uair (best part of my replay is the comment about how it got nerfed just as I kill with it)), but despite having so many options that can kill very well, from my experience even watching a few decent Corrins on Youtube, she's gotta work hard and honest to get those reads she needs. Once you break through the wall, be a bit reckless and chase her off stage with your first jump; she's a lot more afraid of you doing so than you should be.

I'm not sure if I'm just -over- using the Lance now, but I realize that Yoshi's probably the person who can punish Corrin hardest if she tries to break through shields without it, since his doesn't shrink like the others. Corrin's -terrible- on shield, or so seems to be my experience with her. With that in mind, I feel like a defensive Yoshi might be the best kind of Yoshi, even if an offensive one would work well against her. Aerial approaches other than the Lance can be blocked and punished easily, and there's a very specific range to make the Lance effective; learn it and you can jump and get above her, where you can usually follow her and hit her, though I wouldn't challenge the kick -too- directly if it comes out at you; I'd go for her pretty face. Right after it, though, she's vulnerable, and that's probably the best moment to kill her on land.

Then again, I'm an average PikaCorrin trying to get good, so my advice might not be worth very much.

Playing rushdown against Yoshi isn't really a good idea if you don't know the matchup. Makes it easier for him to land a kill move.

I don't think picking "roomy stages" will really do much; it sounds more like they banned FD because they personally dislike the stage. Kind of like how I tend to ban Lylat not because I feel it's bad for Yoshi, I just don't like the stage regardless of who I'm playing as. Middle platform being low feels weird, and the tilt feels janky to me, but that's it.

There's a lot of ways to play Yoshi, so you'd probably just have to get a feel for how each person plays. Maybe they banned FD because they play rushdown, so that just in case you were a campy player, it'd be harder to run away? Or maybe they just like having platforms, so FD was a no-go?

In any case, definitely pick Corrin over Pikachu in this MU imo. Corrin's sword can negate a lot of stuff Yoshi might try, or corner him altogether, since Yoshi doesn't have much of an answer against disjoints besides poking carefully, hoping the opponent overextends, or just committing hard to an approach.
I really thought that Pikachu would have a chance against Yoshi in this match up. But, as mentioned, I've only faced a few Yoshis before Kamakazi's, and they weren't really in his level. Barely even within mine (on a scale of 1-10, I'm like a 4-5; a bit above casuals, but not quite Tournament results ready. The previously mentioned Yoshis were like 3s, and Kamakazi's felt like a 6.). Is it just that Corrin is that much better against Yoshi than Pikachu is because of 'dem pokes? I'd have thought that Pikachu's 'jolts and Up-B would have made it about even chance with either character, especially since I think Yoshi is the person that punishes a reckless Corrin's approach the hardest.

I figured Yoshi was basically good on any stage, just because of how well built he is (unlike, for example, MegaMan, who becomes -MUCH- easier to face with some platforms in his face); just that he'd prefer all the room in the world to be able to rush you down or space you out. Guess in this case it's just more important to be able to deal with anything Yoshi does at all. I wonder if Corrin's N-A can cut Eggs out of the sky. I don't remember off of the top of my head.

Really do wish I didn't need to pay money in order to have halfway decent people to practice with. No hero gets to slay the dragon without training, and boss battles as random encounters aren't particularly fair for exp.

muddykips

Smash Apprentice
NNID
skippykips
3DS FC
3609-1085-1849
Don't play FG, then. Smashladder is a better place to go if wifi's your only real option. Also discord groups I guess ??

Also yeah, just the fact that Corrin has a sword means that he's probably gonna have a better MU against Yoshi than someone without a sword (except Diddy). Just throwing out Nair can deal with any of Yoshi's aerial options, even eggs if you're spacing as you should. Pikachu can do well against Yoshi, but I don't think that's a place where you can play rushdown; both characters have issues killing, but Yoshi's a lot fatter.

If you're able to play defensive though, I'd suggest going on a platform stage like BF or DL, since just standing under a platform can mess with Yoshi's approach options. Limiting what Yoshi is able to do makes him have to commit even harder to his approaches; and if the opponent just starts throwing eggs (bonus points if they're standing still and not using ETS), it's not that hard to just powershield punish them. Unless you're playing the ditto, because Yoshi's powershield is horrible.

Arms98

Smash Rookie
i main yoshi and secondary corrin, and have a little experience playing both ways (dittos suck). I would have to say off stage game would be the key to winning this match up for both characters. As corrin bair and tipper side b can not only break though double jump armor but also hit yoshi though his eggs, most yoshis will use eggs to help cover their recovery so if you can hit him it will be stock. As corrin recovering you should normally try to go high/very close to the ledge because if you go too low you'll lose the invulnerability on up b and yoshi can cover the ledge with dair to trade and you'll die. In the neutral yoshi's out of shield options kinda suck (nair has no range and obviously the grab isn't doing ****) and you have a sword so spacing aerials is the way to go, just watch out for short hop air dodge. Whether is being comboed or doing it voluntarily yoshi is gonna spend a lot of time in the air, so you can get an eairly stock on yoshi by reading his landing with an fmash/tipper side b/DFS. Yoshi hates playing against characters that can kill him early so you should really be paying attention to their landing habits so you can get that quick stock.

Zmac122

Smash Cadet
User was warned for this post
Here is non paragraph version of what you do. Just get off stage then foot stool.

Zmac122

Smash Cadet
Here is non paragraph version of what you do. Just get off stage then foot stool.
Nice because I referenced my short use of words I got a warning LOL. What you want to do is try not to let the yoshi mods know what you are planning so you can foostool them in for glory. Also since this has to be longer... here is where it will be longer. The main thing to do with yoshi is to wait for his fair and then attack. LOL WARNING 1 for me boys

Top Bottom