• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Say if you were given the option to fill in those four remaining empty slots for four characters. Who would you guys pick?

I'd pick Amaterasu, Crash Bandicoot, Elma, and Phoenix Wright.
My dream 4: Porky, Octoling, Hat Kid, Madeline (Celeste)
Roster I’d make for my friends: Octoling, Hat Kid, Crash, Geno

AinsOoalGown

Smash Apprentice
Console representation isn’t just fighters, there are more like stages, assist trophies, item, etc. In Nintendo DS case:

Character: Lucario (Pokémon Diamond/Pearl)

Stage: Elektroplankton (Elecktroplankton), Mario Circuit (Mario Kart DS), Spear Pillar (Pokémon Diamond/Pearl), Spirit Train (Zelda Spirit Tracks), Unova League (Pokémon Black/White), Pictochat 1/2 (Pictochat), Colisseum (Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon).

Assist Trophies: Nintendogs (Nintendogs), Barbara (Jam with the Band), Dr Kawashima (Brain Age), Vince (Art Academy)

+ all Gen 4 and 5 Pokémon + music that its a lot.

Big omnission is Rhythm Heaven representation (AT, stage or fighter). The rest is fine. There some ganes like AC New World, NSMB or Tomadochi Collection that they preferred to go for their 3DS sequels/counterparts.
I think a thing that got in the way with the DS is that its biggest hits have face already created from beforehand or its completely undoable (Nintendogs). Really, if theres any way to make the realistic puppies doable wed definetly have a rep from it since the smash 4 days, same if it had a mascot that wasnt as realistic, but I have no idea on how they could make a puppy being kicked and burned around by Ganon and Bowser work out. I read ideas in the past but they all escape too much from how a rep from it should be, even a Tetris block sounds much easier to add.

Even with their attempts to cater to competitive players, hints of Brawl-era Sakurai still show up with things like the input buffer and trying to fall through platforms. At least that side of Sakurai had to STFU when making Kazuya.
This is a huge disrespect for Sakurai's body of work, not only for all his known dev achivements, and all the things added to this game and previous ones, despite complaints one can still have, we saw how balanced this roster managed to be despite its size and all the many things you can do in competitive (also not to mention his skill in fgc games, him wanting the game to be a party game doesnt mean he dislikes the genre or would have an issue dealing with it, as with Kazuya). Like it or not, takes some herculean skill to manage to cater to high skill play while still making a game with appeal to people who only want a fun time playing with a big cast, which is also where most of the money is from, they could have went full party mode and it would still be a HUGE hit seller but instead even Brawl has tons of depth.
A game being this expansive as this series is while having both so much to casual and competitive is a much bigger deal when we see it in perspective. There's a reason why the only games in the genre that are good are those that have to put lots of effort into making their own identity and charm like Brawlhalla, while games that just straigh up rip off Smash without the know-how and skill of the teams that people like Sakurai and Namco brought over end up looking like ugly, bland and even laggy unplayable messes that depend on viral marketing and catering to angry ex-fans and memes to even be heard of.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I mean... if we're talking competitive Melee, then sure, but otherwise, Melee is absolutely casual-friendly when it comes to FFAs.

I ultimately get it: single player isn't the focus of fighting games, it's versus. But considering the Switch's online is **** and that I live in a third world country, I feel like I ended up with neither, at least until I get the time and safety to invite someone over.

Interestingly enough, browsing the Stage section of Shared Content has been the most fun I've got out of online. Mob Smash wore out quickly to me, Homerun was never really my thing and WoL not only feels like a slog, but the replayability is awful too - both issues that I never felt SSE had.

At least I wish I could rematch Boss Spirits from the Spirit List. That would at least let me try different combinations.
third-world country
Random tangent but reading this I realized that despite "first-world country" and "third-world country" being words tossed around a fair bit you never really hear of any second-world countries.

On that note you never hear about second-person shooters either (Though that's probably because the (X)-person stuff already meant something before shooters existed). And the fact that there is no second-party between the first-party and third-party stuff beyond nebulous Smash fan-speak.

Actually I think the people who give names to stuff have a phobia of the word "second" in general for whatever reason. Dunno why, they just don't like number 2.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Random tangent but reading this I realized that despite "first-world country" and "third-world country" being words tossed around a fair bit you never really hear of any second-world countries.

On that note you never hear about second-person shooters either (Though that's probably because the (X)-person stuff already meant something before shooters existed). And the fact that there is no second-party between the first-party and third-party stuff beyond nebulous Smash fan-speak.

Actually I think the people who give names to stuff have a phobia of the word "second" in general for whatever reason. Dunno why, they just don't like number 2.
Second-person shooter would just be you waiting for the protag to come along and shoot you lmao

TheShiningAbsol

Smash Journeyman
I found something interesting while doing some modding that some of you may be interested to see. A (currently) unused popup message:

melody.png

It's a completely separate popup from the one that appears with other DLC music. I feel pretty confident they'll release it on it's own eventually. Although the game is really fun even as someone who's never played KH

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I found something interesting while doing some modding that some of you may be interested to see. A (currently) unused popup message:

View attachment 334976

It's a completely separate popup from the one that appears with other DLC music. I feel pretty confident they'll release it on it's own eventually. Although the game is really fun even as someone who's never played KH
If they do do this, it'll probably be a long while tbh, probably 3-4 months at the earliest if other promotional DLC stuff is to be taken into account.

Though, not sure what it means by "Changed back"

cashregister9

Smash Hero
So the leak of the Sakurai Column came out and

If I had a nickel for every time a Game Dev and a Disney Exec met and that produced new video game content relating to Sora, I would have 2 nickels.

TheShiningAbsol

Smash Journeyman
Though, not sure what it means by "Changed back"
It's a message for downloading a stage builder stage that uses the song, but you don't own the song yourself, so the game changes it to something else. This happens with the rest of the DLC music too, though I'm not actually sure what song it changes to, since I've always just had all the DLC. Anyway, presumably its saying once you buy it, the song will be played on that custom stage again.

Shroob

Sup?
It's a message for downloading a stage builder stage that uses the song, but you don't own the song yourself, so the game changes it to something else. This happens with the rest of the DLC music too, though I'm not actually sure what song it changes to, since I've always just had all the DLC. Anyway, presumably its saying once you buy it, the song will be played on that custom stage again.
Counterpoint.

Considering the song is attached to a game, which is something wholly unique to it, could it not simply imply that? Other dlc music listings may not apply as you said, since this song stands alone in its weirdness to obtain.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Say if you were given the option to fill in those four remaining empty slots for four characters. Who would you guys pick?

I'd pick Amaterasu, Crash Bandicoot, Elma, and Phoenix Wright.
I'm assuming if this is to complete a full-square if you don't stack Echos on the character select?
Discounting the characters who have been Mii'd or Assist Trophies, I'd probably go for a final four of:
Phoenix Wright, Kazuma Kiryu, Wraith (Apex Legends) and Reimu

Without Miis or Assists?
Isaac, Phoenix Wright, Doom Slayer, Dante.

And I suppose since I've assignments to get back to, I'll just copy-paste this write-up I had over in the Rate their Chances thread, but consider it my final post on this thread before this side of the boards close down for good.

Well, it's certainly been one long road. I joined this site in the surprise that was Robin and Lucina getting chosen for Smash 4 over Chrom, which was truly an upheaval for speculation for me. Back then, my main wants included the likes of Shulk and Isaac, but joining the Support Threads for characters like Ridley and King K. Rool really won me over to them, since I confess they weren't initially in my most wanted lists. It was quite the enjoyable experience to speculate along the Space Pirates and Kutthroats, but boy did speculation often get ugly at times. But at the same time it also got exciting too.

It's truly been a wild ride with Smash Ultimate, and boy has this game gone above and beyond if you ask me. We saw Inklings confirmed on day 1 by being traumatised for life by a flaming Smash Ball in the sky, starting up the flames of speculation once again. Who's going to make it? Ridley? K. Rool? Who's not going to make it? Cloud? Ryu?

Nope, come E3 2018 we had the most incredible announcement:
"EVERYONE IS HERE" All veterans are coming back - from Pichu, Young Link, the Ice Climbers and THE legendary Solid Snake. Also Daisy's here, but we've also turned around on the idea of Clones - now we actually would love to see more of them fleshed out as 'Echo Fighters!' But not just that. RIDLEY HITS THE BIG TIME. Holy crap that's one way to set off the ride that is Smash Ultimate. The roster kept getting crazier with each new addition, King K. Rool after his long absence from games, Simon Belmont AND Richter Belmont accompanied with Chrom and Dark Samus in September. The charming Isabelle, and closing the base-game roster with an infamous Boxed-duo of Ken and Incineroar.

The Grinch Leak was one wild time, much like the wild speculation around the ESRB Leaks. But then a potted plant showed up. ...I still get baffled by it to this day. But the real spectacle was seeing the DLC truly kick off with Joker being the first DLC fighter proper.
The first fighter pass was quite impressive - with the contentious exception being Byleth - We got Dragon Quest representation with 4 Heroes, Luminary, Erdrick, Solo and Eight alongside Banjo-Kazooie at long last. Terry was also an incredible wild card very few people saw but I dare say he became everyone's fan-favourite from the DLC overall.

And now we conclude Smash two years later with Fighters Pass 2. ARMS and Xenoblade 2 finally got the recognition they missed out on initially with Min-Min and Pyra/Mythra respectively. The Twitter-crashing blockhead himself, Steve alongside Alex, a Zombie and Enderman bringing Minecraft to Smash Bros. And the terrifying delight that was seeing Sephiroth bring not only despair at TGA2020, but also bringing the content Final Fantasy VII was dearly missing. Kazuya and his Lvl 9 CPU also helped bring representation for the iconic Tekken series, which was pretty impressive since you'll be needing a dictionary for his moveset.

I've said it many times, but there's one word that encapsulates Sora being THE Final fighter. "Magical." He was THE most wanted character from the infamous Fighter Ballot all those years ago and Sakurai and his team had to negotiate with likely both Square Enix AND Disney to get Sora in Smash Bros... Just to make that dream a reality. Of course I would've preferred it being Phoenix Wright as the final fighter, but I cannot argue against how magical it was to see Sora flying through the air in his reveal trailer. And with that, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is finished for good.

It's been an incredible journey for me to follow Smash for so long. From both High School and now into my University Masters of Research, Smash Bros has truly become something more than the humble Nintendo 64 party-fighter. It's a celebration of video games, both big and small. I'm happy to hang up the speculation cap for good now, but I'll probably hang around on this site from time to time in certain threads, but I've got bigger projects to worry about now.
Been a fun time being here on Smashboards. Made some friends, thought of creative movesets for characters I wanted to see join the fight, break down rumours and speculations, have fun and joke about. So now it's time to head off. Take care and stay safe in this world post Smash Bros. speculation!

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
This is a huge disrespect for Sakurai's body of work, not only for all his known dev achivements, and all the things added to this game and previous ones, despite complaints one can still have, we saw how balanced this roster managed to be despite its size and all the many things you can do in competitive (also not to mention his skill in fgc games, him wanting the game to be a party game doesnt mean he dislikes the genre or would have an issue dealing with it, as with Kazuya). Like it or not, takes some herculean skill to manage to cater to high skill play while still making a game with appeal to people who only want a fun time playing with a big cast, which is also where most of the money is from, they could have went full party mode and it would still be a HUGE hit seller but instead even Brawl has tons of depth.
A game being this expansive as this series is while having both so much to casual and competitive is a much bigger deal when we see it in perspective. There's a reason why the only games in the genre that are good are those that have to put lots of effort into making their own identity and charm like Brawlhalla, while games that just straigh up rip off Smash without the know-how and skill of the teams that people like Sakurai and Namco brought over end up looking like ugly, bland and even laggy unplayable messes that depend on viral marketing and catering to angry ex-fans and memes to even be heard of.
People are allowed to criticize things, dude. Sakurai is very weird when it comes to his stance on whether or not Smash should be played competitively: He added several things to Ultimate's base to cater to the comp scene, but then makes Hero the way his is because Party Game(TM), but then makes Kazuya feel just like playing him in Tekken if it had one button.

Shroob

Sup?
People are allowed to criticize things, dude. Sakurai is very weird when it comes to his stance on whether or not Smash should be played competitively: He added several things to Ultimate's base to cater to the comp scene, but then makes Hero the way his is because Party Game(TM), but then makes Kazuya feel just like playing him in Tekken if it had one button.
I mean, yeah, people are free to criticize of course, and like, even someone like me who loves the game is willing to make fun of, if not outright mock the terrible online.

But, well, let's not beat around the bush, you're a fella who's super quick to go "Look how much BETTER this game is!" as of late, to which, if you feel that way, then great, more power to you, but like, you keep bringing it up completely unprovoked as of late to which, are you trying to bait or...? Like, if you like NASB more than Smash, like I've said before, more power to you, but you don't.... need to keep telling us how much more you like it, if that makes sense?

At the end of the day, Ultimate is Ultimate, it's what we have going forward for the foreseeable future. You either play it, or move to a different game, it's that simple. Don't be like the guy who constantly posts on the front page about how Ult is trash and he moved over to NASB, only to realize his main sucks and now NASB is also trash.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
But, well, let's not beat around the bush, you're a fella who's super quick to go "Look how much BETTER this game is!" as of late, to which, if you feel that way, then great, more power to you, but like, you keep bringing it up completely unprovoked as of late to which, are you trying to bait or...? Like, if you like NASB more than Smash, like I've said before, more power to you, but you don't.... need to keep telling us how much more you like it, if that makes sense?
I just can't help it when this one game did more for me on October 5, 2021 than the final DLC for SSBU being Sora. I already thought Incineroar felt like a character that was designed to appeal to me as little as possible, but then they did it again. And yes, I do know they are not deliberately trying to target me, it's just a joke.

Shroob

Sup?
I just can't help it when this one game did more for me on October 5, 2021 than the final DLC for SSBU being Sora. I already thought Incineroar felt like a character that was designed to appeal to me as little as possible, but then they did it again. And yes, I do know they are not deliberately trying to target me, it's just a joke.
I mean

You can help it.

You can take all that energy you'd be using to talk about how better NASB is, and just, talking about NASB instead. Smash is done outside of balance patches going forward, there's not going to be new content. This is the state the game will be in frankly forever barring balance patches or ports, you either just, deal with it, or move on.

There's a difference between criticizing the game, and shoving another game down everyone's throats and saying how much better it is at any given moment.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162

If I had a nickel for every time a Game Dev and a Disney Exec met and that produced new video game content relating to Sora, I would have 2 nickels.
You don't understand. It's for the DISNEY MAGIC.tm

Also, this also finally put this **** down forever for anyone doubting this.

YOU NEED both Disney and Square to do anything with Sora. Just like I said for Idk how many years.
No matter the use or legal reality.
You need both parties-
No wonder this **** seems impossible.

Also wait....Is that game Award possibly the one that Smash won during the Tokyo Game Show last year? Could it be it?

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Making this post now incase I don’t get a chance later.

People, it’s been a pleasure to speculate in this thread for the past few years. I hope to do it again at some point with you all.

I’ll see you all in the general thread assuming y’all going there when this thread goes down or anyone who stops by the level 5 discussion thread as well. today we enjoy the final day (I think) of this thread.

Damn, it’s almost as sad as the day Club penguin died. At least smash boards isn’t getting erased.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152

So based on the comments of that thread, it seems the meeting most likely happened at Tokyo Game Show 2019.

If true, this is interesting since more DLC was confirmed just a few weeks before at the start of September (right after Terry was revealed in the September 4th 2019 Direct). The late timing would also line up with CP11 being a bonus pick which was implied by the FP2 announcement.

Makes you wonder if this meeting never took place, perhaps Kazuya (or a completely brand new character entirely) would've been our final character.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

It's now pretty safe to say that Sora was the last fighter added. the sixth FP2 character. It lines up when the FP2 was finalized.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Threads gonna be gone tomorrow. Well, it was fun. A rather nice place to discuss hypotheticals, get into pointless arguments, throw people into horny jail, and talk about things that were definitely 100% totally related to Ultimate.

See those of you that join in the new game speculation thread. Hope thats able to be half as fun.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Maybe it was only a coincidence that these update 13.0 and Ultimate being thematically light and darkness if Sora was last minute.

But a part of me thinks he wanted to plan this way earlier because of Sora, maybe he saw the attendees in TGS earlier. IDK, those are just rough assumptions.

In an interview held before TGS 2019, the Disney exec team said after KH3 development was done, the company would be open to any opportunity like Smash.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
This column is going to be fascinating - it'd be so funny if our crazy theory about Sora being a "bonus" fighter that was negotiated last minute just so happened to be true. Kazuya as a final fighter would definitely have made me happy but I know most people would be out here claiming that Tekken somehow isn't big or hype enough...

I'm going to miss this thread and section. It's been a delight speculating with everyone.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Oh hey, last day of the thread.

...It's honestly mostly hitting me now that I've been on this site for over ten years now, having joined a bit after it was announced that a new Smash game would be coming to two different systems. And through all the ups and downs, I've mostly enjoyed it. So thanks for that, guys. Who knows if I'll still be around for...whenever the next game is, but at least I'll still stay on the site a bit longer (albeit more sporadically, likely).

Gengar84

Smash Hero
It’s going to feel really weird not having this thread to check on and talk to everyone after today. I’ve really gotten used to coming here whenever I wanted to share my thoughts and it’s really been fun getting to know all of you. I’ll still be around but I probably won’t be as active once this thread closes. Maybe I’ll check out the other sub forums on this site.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Last day for this thread, huh?

Alright, I know I never been too much of a regular around here - speculation lost alot of it's appael to me a lnog time ago, that and i'm like, pretty bad at debating with peoples I feel, so I didn't want to cause troubles - but...you know, I hope some of my jokes were funny enough to make some peoples days a little better, no matter how little it might be.

I'm still going to be around on SB - mostly in the Social Thread, or as I like to call it, Home :p (I don't actually call it that) - , so long they're folks I know there, you should be able to find me easily here, and if not, I still hope you had some fun along the way!

With that all said:
thumb up samus.gif

See you next mission!

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Actually no, no matter what is going on in my life at the time, I will absolutely be back here next time, for one reason and one reason only.

To make the Marth thread and ensure the title references the actual character and not the goddamn Ken Combo yes I'm still mildly miffed that that happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom