• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilverSoul24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SilverSoul94
Switch FC
SW-8066-4257-6220
I have a longer, more sentimental post-DLC speculation post, but here's my ranking of the Ultimate Newcomers overall (Mythra and Sora are in S Tier and A Tier, respectively):

S Tier: :ultpyra::ultjoker::ultbanjokazooie::ultsephiroth:
A Tier: :ultinkling::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultkrool:
B Tier: :ultchrom::ultminmin:ultdarksamus::ultridley::ultpiranha:
C Tier: :ultdaisy::ultken::ultbylethf::ult_terry::ultisabelle::ulthero::ultkazuya:
D Tier: :ultincineroar::ultsteve:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
What about new spirit events?
I'm sure we'll see a few more spirit events to round out the year. If we're really lucky, maybe into early next year. The usual suspects like Dread, SMTV, maybe BD/SP, hopefully Advance Wars all seem fairly realistic.

But I hope we get one more completely out-of-left-field new series spirit event, like we did for Resident Evil and Kunio and the like way back when.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Now that I think about third parties that deserved content but didn’t get any

Spike Chunsoft. I love Danganronpa and Zero Escape and it’s sad we got no content 🥺

and also still give Tsubasa her friends as spirits dangit, I still get OCD over her being the only one from her game

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
We giving opinions?

:ultinkling:: Even though it was expected, I love this. Splatoon is one of my all time favorite Nintendo series already, so I’m happy about this.
:ultridley:: I’m happy such a long time fan wish was finally fulfilled!
:ultsimon:: I think he’s alright, I don’t really have much to say. Kickass trailer though, one of my favorites.
:ultkrool:: At first? I thought it was alright. Now? K Rool has become one of my all time favorite gaming villains, and I love him in smash. What a kickass character, holy ****. And don’t get me started on gangplank galleon.
:ultisabelle:: Cute.
:ultincineroar:: Unpopular opinion, I love this guy. One of my favorite Pokémon, honestly. I’m so happy he was chosen, he got my favorite play style of all the newcomers. I love his personality, and the way they emphasized the wrestler theme. I’m proud to call him my main!…now if only his recovery was better.
:ultpiranha:: Peak comedy, I don’t even care. Love stupid **** like this. It plays pretty fun too.
:ultjoker:: Hype reveal, but the play style isn’t for me. I love the sense of style he has though.
:ulthero:: Awesome character, but I still can’t quite wrap my head around all the spells. Fun character nonetheless.
:ultbanjokazooie:: I adore Banjo Kazooie, which is quite rare for people my age. They’re much more popular with folks from the generation before me, but by pure luck I managed to become attached to these characters when I was young. And I was ecstatic to see them in smash! Whenever I hear the spiral mountain remix, I think of victory. And honestly? I think they’re moveset’s fine! They’re my favorite dlc character of all, and I’m proud to call them one of my mains. Can’t wait to play Banjo Kazooie on my switch!
:ult_terry:: Terry’s pretty kickass, ngl.
:ultbyleth:: I’m not gonna spend too long on this. I really didn’t like this choice, I thought it was super lame and there were a gazillion characters from three houses that would’ve been cooler. Worst dlc character for me. Moveset’s alright though.
:ultminmin: A big fat alright!
:ultsteve:: ****ing awesome, I don’t even care dude. This was great!
:ultsephiroth:: Once again, ****ing awesome!
:ultpyra:: Was disappointed at first, but the moveset won me over.
:ultmythra:: Once again, kickass.
:ultsora:: Holy ****! The perfect ending to the ultimate smash game! This is honestly incredible to me, and I think he’s my second favorite dlc character overall. Right behind Banjo. I hope he plays good, cuz I wanna play him a lot!

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman
That's crazy that they actually managed to get Sora in the game. He's definitely a big name to end out the roster on. I'm really glad my friend convinced me to play through the Kingdom Hearts franchise beforehand! I'm a bit bummed that some of my favorite franchises (like Ace Attorney, TWEWY, or NieR) didn't get any content, but I'm keeping my thoughts on that separate from my opinion of Sora himself, since he's a great inclusion in his own right.

I think a lot of the hype in my reaction to the reveal was because, well, it's friggin Sora. I'm still impressed that Nintendo actually found a way to navigate all the legal issues that would come with bringing him into the game. The trailer itself was good, but I think it was kind of split between being a Sora reveal and being a callback to the initial Ultimate reveal trailer. It does both of those decently, but in terms of execution, I prefer Joker's and Sephiroth's trailers.

Still, he looks like a lot of fun! His aerial combat offstage looks insane, and his movement is very Kingdom Hearts-ish, which I really like. The cycling magic for a special is an interesting idea, and I love the visuals and sound design for his Keyblade attacks. Hollow Bastion is also a great locale for a stage, and transitioning into Dive into the Heart near the end of the battle can lead to some super hype battles.

I'll probably update this once I get the chance to actually play Sora, but right now this is my overall ranking of the Ultimate newcomers:

newcomer-tier-list.png

For me, Ultimate has by far the best group of newcomers out of any of the Smash games I've followed. When I think back to Brawl or 4, there are a lot of great additions, but the crossover aspect of Ultimate is absolutely incredible. Making each DLC fighter (minus Plant) come with their own stage, Spirit Board, and music list also helped a lot. It made each DLC newcomer feel substantial in terms of content brought in, and it also made speculating more exciting. It was fun to come up with full Challenger Pack ideas for your most wanted characters -- thinking of stage concepts, compiling music lists, coming up with Spirit battles, and so on. Maximillian Dood was right in saying that this truly is the golden age for Smash content.

But all good things must come to an end, and I think Ultimate has definitely ended on a high note.

(Although I am still interested in the balance patch that'll drop along with Sora -- maybe we could get some more Byleth buffs plz?)

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Gotta say, and this ain’t me being bias at all. I’m surprised we didn’t get any level 5 content at all. I wonder if Nintendo and level 5 had some sort of fallout or something.

huge For Nintendo during the ds and 3ds era.

nintendo even published themselves the Layton series (can’t speak for the other level 5 games)

level 5 have their own section on the Japan Nintendo page and the Europe Nintendo page

hino and sakurai are friends on Twitter

Yet they got nothing in the game overall. Not even a spirit. Wonder if the yo Kai watch franchise being deemed a Pokémon killer during the Wii u era really hurt their friendship since that stuff happened before smash bros wii u was even announced.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I just noticed something while rewatching the Sora presentation again. When he showcases Sora's moves, he actually fights every single Smash Bros character in order of their Smash appearance, I don't know if this has always been done in these presentations but I found it interesting. The only characters that are out of order are:

Donkey Kong (Who is strangely absent)
Link (To show that aerial sweep is similar to Spin attack)
Dark Samus (Who is also absent)
Mr. Game & Watch, Villager and Isabelle (To show off that you can bucket and pocket his magic)
Greninja (To show that Sonic blade is similar to Hydro Pump)
King K. Rool, Hero, Steve and Sephiroth (Demonstrating Sora's counterattack)

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
Ok, for some reason my image for my rankings won't upload so I'll just make it here. Unordered.

S (Best of the Best): :ultsephiroth: :ultchrom::ultsimon::ult_terry::ultridley:
A (Great additions): :ultdarksamus::ultbanjokazooie::ultrichter::ultbanjokazooie::ultken::ultjoker:Sora
B (Good/fun additions): :ultmythra: :ultkrool::ultpyra::ulthero::ultbyleth::ultinkling:
C (Meh): :ultincineroar::ultminmin:ultdaisy::ultpiranha::ultisabelle:
D (Dislike): :ultsteve:

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
So with Ultimate finally having come to an end. What's everyone's overall thoughts and opinions to ever newcomer?
:ultsimon::ulthero: = **** YEAH!! (straight outta my most wanted)
:ult_terry::ultminmin:ultsephiroth::ultkazuya:= Yeah! (characters/series I also wanted to see)
:ultinkling::ultridley::ultkrool::ultbanjokazooie::ultsteve::ultsora: = Fine. (not for me, but I totally get it)
:ultisabelle::ultincineroar::ultjoker::ultpyra: = Meh... (they coulda chose better)
:ultpiranha::ultbyleth: = Barf! (**** 'em)

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Well since it's the last time I'll get to do this, might as well join in.

:ultbanjokazooie: Banjo goddamn Kazooie, the single biggest dream come true for me, their inclusion has so much more meaning beyond just being in Smash, they're lost members of the Nintendo family finally home again after nearly 20 years.
:ultsora: Admittedly I wasn't the most hype for Sora since I never pushed for him to be in Smash, but KHII is my seventh favorite game and he felt like an even more impossible addition than Banjo so it's still surreal that it even happened.
:ultkrool: Similar to Banjo, but instead of a long lost family member coming back it was more like someone you thought was dead just waltzed back in like nothing ever happened.
:ultridley: Boy my tops are just the never ever crew huh, such a long and arduous fight for Ridley with everyone and their mother putting us down over a stupid meme, what a fitting way to set Ultimate off on the path that ultimately led us here.
:ultinkling: An obvious pick, and not the most hype since she never even got a proper trailer, but I did end up maining her so here she goes.
:ultmythra: Something I didn't expect to happen but not to the extent of the top four, overall just a great character with a fun moveset.
:ulthero: Never played Dragon Quest so Hero is purely this high for being fun and being an archetype I really enjoy (swordsman with shield + magic).
:ultsephiroth: Sephiroth defied almost all of my expectations, including how much I like him being in Smash.
:ultsimon: A solid inclusion with a fun kit, just feels like he always belonged.
:ultminmin I like ramen.
:ult_terry: I had no idea who he was but he ended up being fun.
:ultkazuya: See above.
:ultisabelle: Well she exists.
:ultjoker: I had no idea who he was and he ended up being boring.
:ultdarksamus::ultken::ultrichter::ultdaisy::ultchrom: I have no interest in echo fighters and don't know/care about them as characters.
:ultbylethf: Fire Emblem aside, I haven't played Three Houses and the moveset is boring so I have no interest.
:ultincineroar: I don't like most of the Pokemon anyway but this one is the worst of the bunch outside of Pichu.
:ultpiranha: It's not even a character, I have to project my love of Little Shop of Horrors on this thing to even remotely like it.
:ultsteve: This is even less of a character than the literal potted plant.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I just noticed something while rewatching the Sora presentation again. When he showcases Sora's moves, he actually fights every single Smash Bros character in order of their Smash appearance, I don't know if this has always been done in these presentations but I found it interesting. The only characters that are out of order are:

Donkey Kong (Who is strangely absent)
Link (To show that aerial sweep is similar to Spin attack)
Dark Samus (Who is also absent)
Mr. Game & Watch, Villager and Isabelle (To show off that you can bucket and pocket his magic)
Greninja (To show that Sonic blade is similar to Hydro Pump)
King K. Rool, Hero, Steve and Sephiroth (Demonstrating Sora's counterattack)
Sakurai specifically mentioned that he would do that. As for DK and DS, i'm fairly certain that was a result of editing weirdness

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I will say this though: Of all the taglines NoA did for the trailers, Sora's is the funniest, just because instead of any sort of reference or pun, they just go "yeah, he's here, despite everything, **** making a joke".

MattX20

Smash Hero
My thoughts regarding Sora: I'm okay with him being the final fighter. I honestly thought Disney's notoriously stingy legal team would've been borderline impossible to get through, but the fact they accomplished this is a true testament. That, and he's made a lot of people happy so I can't think of anything to complain about him

Paraster

Smash Lord
I'm just glad we ended off on a character that was legitimately exciting to me personally, rather than only hyping me up at first because I knew how big a deal it was to the fanbase at large.

Prior to Sora, the only characters that fell under this for me were Inkling, Incineroar, and Steve. So it's nice we ended on what I'd view as a high point.

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
As others have said I’m really surprised we didn’t get any Ace Attorney stuff. That series has become one of my favorites recently and even though I’m glad we got Sora I would have also been psyched to get Phoenix. Hopefully some spirits show up in the future.

MasterCheef

Smash Ace
Question what if __ Ahri __ or some other big character just gets shadow dropped like Joker without a Mr. Sakurai Presents?

Ny0kazer

Smash Apprentice
I hope that spirit events continue, with Ace Attorney being one of them.
The next Smash will have the big Capcom franchises like DMC, Monster Hunter, and Resident Evil back in the fray, with a whole lot more requests from this speculation period to boot. If there isn't even a spirit from Ace Attorney in Ultimate by the end of development, I don't know if I can still be as optimistic for Wright in the future.

D

Deleted member

Since the last character has now been revealed, here's a lot of happy people today because they got at least 1 character they've wanted in Smash, but is there anybody out there who has 0 characters they truly wanted in Smash? Even though there were a few really cool additions to Ultimate, I feel pretty letdown that none of the characters I was hoping for never made it to Ultimate and probably won't ever make it when the next Smash game comes around, but I've pretty much accepted the reality that not every character will be in Smash, including the 1s that you want the most.

This'll be my last question before I decide to wrap up my thoughts on DLC and delete my account as speculation was the main reason I stuck around smashboards even when I was less active on this thread as time went on. Now that it's pretty much over with a few things left to be said, I don't have much of a reason to stick around anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom