• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrJudd

Smash Journeyman
I also find funny that people were like "Did you know there is a sale on Doom?" all day Thursday (I got spammed too hard about it that day by friends) when people forget that the last time a sale actually mattered was when the Black Friday Square sale was held off from Black Friday to mid-December because of Sephiroth's Presents, but not the contrary and anyone involved with the character would know better to held off on the sale until, ya know, the character is revealed.

Also, for any Youtubers who do reaction compilations and are seeing this post, remember to use the Nick Brawl theme in the reveal compilation for 11.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
At this point with only 8 days left on the clock, don't believe in coincidences. Anything can go wrong at some point during the last leg of the long journey

Jondolio

Smash Hero

Trevenant

Smash Lord
TBF I don't even think the people coming up with these theories are taking them seriously lol. The reason why dumb theories get spread is cos smash fans get triggered every time a new one is created, then that makes it get more widespread to the people who don't know as much regarding speculation who start taking it seriously cos they don't know any better then it creates a vicious circle. Trust me, it has helped me out plenty of times to just assume dumb arguments in smash are a joke, cos if not then you are taking crap like that one theory someone had about Terry's creator being involved in some love triangle, only to then be told it was a joke and have the only actual response being "well, uh you see, you can't tell people's tone over the internet". You'd assume its the other way around but in reality the people taking the theories seriously are the ones causing them to spread acting as if they're anything other than a joke. Going back to that Terry example, it just shows it needs a bit of common sense applied. I really apologize for mentioning that cursed post, especially to Sakurai and Terry's creator.

Yes, Koizumi is smiling but its GameFaqs lol. Just don't perpetuate them cos if you do then you're doing the complete opposite of what you intend, aka making it more widespread, regardless of how dumb it may be.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Although King Boo is my prediction and Rayman is my most wanted, I'm kind of hoping I'm wrong and it ends up being Master Chief just because of how significant that would be. I'll be super happy either way.

Baba

Smash Journeyman
Although King Boo is my prediction and Rayman is my most wanted, I'm kind of hoping I'm wrong and it ends up being Master Chief just because of how significant that would be. I'll be super happy either way.
That's what I'm saying. Getting Xbox's mascot in Smash would be beyond insane. I think most people would be able to understand how big a deal it is even if they aren't a fan of the character.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Everyone's saying if they're gonna end strong it'll be Chief or Sora or whatever
Nah fam don't forget these dudes
I think the only character on my most wanted list that would be seen as a huge universal hype character is Sub-Zero. We’ve already gone over the barriers to his entry but I don’t think it’s impossible.

Just out of curiosity, this is my top 25 or so most wanted again. I’m curioushow many of these people would be interested in:

Zegram Ghart
Battletoads
Magus
Bill Rizer
Fulgore
Gengar
Sub-Zero
Goomba
Velvet Crowe
Lu Bu
Xemnas
Etna
Illidan Stormrage
Sarah Kerrigan
Raziel
Pharaoh Man
Impa (HW1)
Medusa
Jena Anderson
Nightmare
Bugzzy
H’aanit
Princess Garnet

Last edited:

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
The last character won't open any gate though. It will close them for good...

Just like how they close Kingdom Hearts at the end of KH1 hehehehehehe

Theguy123

Smash Lord
TBF I don't even think the people coming up with these theories are taking them seriously lol. The reason why dumb theories get spread is cos smash fans get triggered every time a new one is created, then that makes it get more widespread to the people who don't know as much regarding speculation who start taking it seriously cos they don't know any better then it creates a vicious circle. Trust me, it has helped me out plenty of times to just assume dumb arguments in smash are a joke, cos if not then you are taking crap like that one theory someone had about Terry's creator being involved in some love triangle, only to then be told it was a joke and have the only actual response being "well, uh you see, you can't tell people's tone over the internet". You'd assume its the other way around but in reality the people taking the theories seriously are the ones causing them to spread acting as if they're anything other than a joke. Going back to that Terry example, it just shows it needs a bit of common sense applied. I really apologize for mentioning that cursed post, especially to Sakurai and Terry's creator.

Yes, Koizumi is smiling but its GameFaqs lol. Just don't perpetuate them cos if you do then you're doing the complete opposite of what you intend, aka making it more widespread, regardless of how dumb it may be.
Tbf I don’t see the problem with people coming up with theories as long as it makes sense and doesn’t contradict things we either know about the pass or things that person who’s making the theory has already gone on to say in the past. Things like the koizumi smiling theory is a bad theory because there’s no logic behind itEven if they don’t come true, making theories based on evidence or coincidences is just fun.

In my case i take most of my Layton theories I have to 4chan under the “mystery” posts people put up just to annoy others because 4chan is the easiest place to wind people up.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
I think the only character on my most wanted list that would be seen as a huge universal hype character is Sub-Zero. We’ve already gone over the barriers to his entry but I don’t think it’s impossible.

Just out of curiosity, this is my top 20 most wanted again. I’m curioushow many of these people would be interested in:

Zegram Ghart
Battletoads
Magus
Bill Rizer
Fulgore
Gengar
Sub-Zero
Goomba
Velvet Crowe
Lu Bu
Xemnas
Etna
Illidan Stormrage
Sarah Kerrigan
Raziel
Pharaoh Man
Impa (HW1)
Medusa
Jena Anderson
Nightmare
I'd love Sub-Zero; you already know that.
Bill would be great, especially if Lance is an alt or echo fighter.

Your selection of Blizzard characters is very interesting, though I'd probably go for Tracer, Diablo, and Thrall myself. Sarah's a great option, too.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Alright guys so

You may remember how a while ago, I made a hypothetical tracklist for the man, the myth, the legend, Opa-Opa: which basically pulled a Namco/SNK with SEGA, pulling from a bunch of their IP that debuted either A. in the arcades, or B. in consoles before Sonic did

Well since we're nearing the end of smash brudda

I imposed a challenge on myself

To make a second tracklist for Opa-Opa with basis on the same general premise

But this time

It covered ALL of SEGA

I'm working on it right now and I promise it'll be very epic yes yes

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
8 days remaining

Banjo & Kazooie: the duo many welcome home

The series that was long forgotten due to time returned to the spotlight as the second character revealed at E3 2019
All right. :ultbanjokazooie: . The sole speculation favorites to actually make it through by FP1.

Their inclusion may not have anything to do really with recent games - unlike fellow E3 2019 reveal Hero - but hey, they were arguably one of the biggest beneficiaries of the relationship-building Nintendo and Microsoft have done. It helps that they're Rareware's most well known original characters and tightly connected to the N64 days, meaning that there's a lot of nostalgia associated with the duo. And hey, they have an unique position: Sakurai's recommendations during their presentation helped to get the Xbox trending in Japan briefly.

Their competitive results have not been amazing though. Initially the reception was mildly positive: Tweek picked them for a major tournament as a test run and performed admirably, securing 5th in a stacked bracket. Despite him dropping the duo opinions about B-K remained mildly positive helped by a decently significant playerbase. However, 2020 saw a decline in their competitive fortunes - the vurnerabilities they have plus a lot of their prominent playerbase dropping them did them no favors, nor did a perception about their playstyle. That said, they did gain their current flagbearer - Brood, a wily Brawl veteran whose known for consistency and occassional deep runs - during this time as well, and their playerbase remains dedicated.

Sure, their results have not been as great as some B-K fans might have hoped. But considering that Brood did manage to take 2nd at a national Japanese tournament - Umebura SP 4 - using :ultpiranha: and has achieved consistent results with B-K it's far from over for them.

Their moveset does hew very close to the expansive moveset in the N64 duology, and it shows primarily in their Specials. Both Egg Lay / Breegull Blaster are good at discombobulating approaches and in the latter case can set up for more technical combos / chases. Rear Egg is arguably similar in some regards, although they're also useful as a mindgame / recovery aid. Wonderwing might be seen as the duo's "gimmick move" partly because of its resource management aspect - but it's also a helpful recovery move, meaning that it's good to prioritize using them for recovery in many situations (the only exception here might be command grabs like :ultwario: ). Their Up B helps mend the duo's lack of double jump height nicely.

The normals complement this to a large degree, although they also give B-K much needed CQC options. In fact, while a lot of focus has been on the eggs themselves the CQC options have quite a bit of utility. Yes, they're not great at comboing / KOing on stage, but the steady damage afforded by the normals are still worth noting. Moves like F-Tilt and D-Tilt are good if the B-K player needs to space. B-Air and N-Air are good multi-purpose moves that work as both combo tools, for harassing and edgeguarding. F-Smash and U-Smash are highly commital but potent if they hit, thus they are the primary ways to secure stocks on stage. They're very versatile and adaptable in this regard.

(In fact, a pet peeve I have is that there's IMHO been too much focus around the eggs in Serious Business play. See this post by DougEfresh, which I highly recommend.)

While they're standard in many ways, their stats are surprisingly all over the place. Banjo's initial dash is one of the slowest but Kazooie's run ranks up there as the 11th fastest - making the duo the only character who start out slow but take off. They might not have amazing aerial drift, but have good ability to maneuver around the air thanks to multiple jumps and mixups.

Their weaknesses are worth noting: Their damage output and KO potential is not amazing, and they themselves are heavy with a wide hurtbox - meaning that they're susceptible to combos. As such they'll have to ensure they don't get out-damage'd, especially vs. characters / people who can lay on a lot in one go. Their grab game is barely adequate, with down throw being the only viable option (and even then it's not as consistent as K Rool's) They don't have a solid OoS game either, meaning that a B-K player has to be careful not to get trapped in shield.

Casually they're a stable character - while people may be tempted to spam Wonderwings to their hearts content the duo's versatility allows a casual B-K player to work around a lot of different situations that may present themselves. They're not going to get flashy kills most of the time, but they're also very good at staying in the FFA fray for quite a while. Their recovery helps here, especially since people are less likely to aggressively contest recoveries in FFAs.

As for the Challenger Pack itself: Spiral Mountain's an okay stage - although the fact that it's rotating can be a bit disorientating at times. The cameos are nice though, especially Grunty and Tooty running around. In fact..:

You could say that Tooty's Missingnomore. :roll:

Grant Kirkhope did really well with the remixes he got to do, with the only question mark being no Grunty track. The Spirits themselves are also a nice package, nothing to complain about there. The Jiggy spirit did take some time actually beating though.

Weird character interaction sidenote: You ever wanted to play the Mr. Patch boss fight as Mr. Patch? No? Well, too bad, because anytime a :ultbanjokazooie: plays vs. a :ultjigglypuff: it risks turning into this boss fight in practice. The B-K player will want to avoid Rest confirms and aerial shenaningas at all costs, while Jigglypuff cares about diagonals so much that a Puff player will want to avoid getting hit by what B-K brings. This matchup might be kinda even if slightly B-K favored, but it risks devolving into... not a fun time for either.

(**** I forgot Hero's stage and music - stage is perfectly fine and an interesting take on "FD" esque stages, while I'm gonna blame the relative lack of music and the fact they're MIDIs on Sugiyama it's not bad - but still mediocre, which is a major shame. The Spirits are fine choices too, my only complaint is that Luminary's party members should've been individual Spirits instead of awkwardly grouped together.)

The last character won't open any gate though. It will close them for good...

Just like how they close Kingdom Hearts at the end of KH1 hehehehehehe
insert me singing an half broken credit version of Simple and Clean because I have a sore throat

So if Sora says that Kingdom Hearts is light at that game's end, does it mean that the entire KH plot took place inside Galeem?

Wait, :ultsephiroth: sliced Galeem in half... Which means...

:4pacman:

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I'd love Sub-Zero; you already know that.
Bill would be great, especially if Lance is an alt or echo fighter.

Your selection of Blizzard characters is very interesting, though I'd probably go for Tracer, Diablo, and Thrall myself. Sarah's a great option, too.
If you couldn’t already tell by characters like Zegram and Pharaoh Man on the list, I’m just going by my personal favorites over who deserves the spot more. I don’t think many of these have much a shot but I can dream 😊.

kylexv

Smash Master

Surprised I never noticed it myself until rewatching the clip. He does seem to be subtly smiling.

Thoughts?
1632755672223.png

Sorry, it was the only thing I could think of when reading this.

8 days remaining

Banjo & Kazooie: the duo many welcome home

The series that was long forgotten due to time returned to the spotlight as the second character revealed at E3 2019
Day 4: Banjo and Kazooie :ultbanjokazooie:

For a solid twenty minutes during the E3 2019 direct, I felt utterly defeated. Hero was the DLC reveal of the conference, and it appeared that the bear and bird’s glimmer of hope had vanished. But then, by some miracle, another Smash trailer started playing. When I saw that Jiggy fly by DK and crew, I popped off hard. Finally, Banjo and Kazooie are appearing in a Smash Bros. game. The dream somehow became real. E3 2019 was perfect for Smash reveals because we got a character that was massive in the East and a character that was massive in the West, so very few left unhappy.

Only 5 weeks after getting Hero, another Nintendo Direct rolled around with Banjo releasing that evening. From the Sakurai Presents, we gathered that Banjo was built in a way where he didn't feel like a DLC character, instead of feeling like he's already been there for a while. This is fitting, as Banjo is a character that would have been added to Smash much earlier if Microsoft hadn't bought him out. The only thing that looked somewhat crazy was Wonderwing: an invincible burst option with limited uses per stock. Regardless, due to the sheer demand for Banjo, many were excited to finally try him out.

However, what happened after Banjo's release was an interesting conundrum: he was a character that a lot of people didn't really have fun playing as. A decent amount of people that had clamored for Banjo's inclusion for years felt disappointed by the way he played, focusing on his two projectiles and zoning the opponent out. His slow air speed might be a factor as well: because of it, he's forced to use Wonderwing more as a recovery tool than an offensive option. Although, in my opinion, Banjo is the least fun character to play as in FP1, I am still incredibly glad he's in the game. The character once thought as impossible was finally included where he belonged: alongside the rest of Nintendo's all-stars.

FreeFox

Smash Lord
Everyone's saying if they're gonna end strong it'll be Chief or Sora or whatever
Nah fam don't forget these dudes
Almost all of them are bearded men. Coincidence? I think not.
Though to be fair, we are certainly lacking in smash on that department.

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey
BANJO AND KAZOOIE:
Full disclosure, I did not grow up on Banjo. I'm only 23 and to me he was always a relic of an older era of gaming, before I was playing games. Nonetheless I knew he had a strong following, especially among the older Nintendo crowd. I remember losing my mind when Phil Spencer namedropped him during the ballot. What a time to be following Smash. A character deemed impossible suddenly becoming a very real talking point. I had my doubts but man it was huge seeing them finally get revealed. I was already content with Hero and was not expecting a double reveal. And man the one-two punch of Banjo and BOTW2 was great. It just felt good to see them back alongside the Nintendo all-stars.

I actually find Banjo fun to play but I am well aware I play him far from optimally. I'm not big on projectile heavy characters so I kinda don't use Banjo's projectiles when I play lol. The moveset is jam-packed with references it's really cool to see. The music selection is also pretty good though I find the stage at best kinda boring and at worst headache inducing. Even when it's not spinning, idk the colors and textures just seem kinda bland. They don't really match the original games. All in all though, Banjo's a great and well deserved addition to Smash. They're a part of Nintendo history and are a great example of the current relationship between Nintendo and Microsoft.

Dukefire

Smash Master
I may create a list of the characters with their possible chance being the last fighter when 5 days are left on the clock. It will be based off of my ratings, so don't use it as a template.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
I think Reimu is incredibly likely right now. I feel she is iconic enough to end Smash Positively, would be crazy to see TOUHOU in a NINTENDO Game. Also the Music, not to mention those Grazing and Floating Glitches match up perfectly with Reimu. Even the Limit Glitch matches up with Reimu.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

Just out of curiosity, this is my top 25 or so most wanted again. I’m curioushow many of these people would be interested in:
Zegram Ghart-Who?
Battletoads-Meh
Magus-No
Bill Rizer-Meh
Fulgore-Meh
Gengar-Meh
Sub-Zero-Interested
Goomba-Meh
Velvet Crowe-No
Lu Bu-Meh
Xemnas-No? (This is that Kingdom Hearts guy right?)
Etna-Who?
Illidan Stormrage-Yeeees? (This is The Litch King right?)
Sarah Kerrigan-Who?
Raziel-Who?
Pharaoh Man-Yes, but also no
Impa (HW1)-Meh
Medusa-Meh
Jena Anderson-Who?
Nightmare-Meh
Bugzzy-Interested
H’aanit-Meh (This is the girl who speaks fake old English from Octopath Traveler right?)
Princess Garnet-Who?

To clarify, "Meh" means apathetic until reveal. I will probably have a higher opinion after seeing them in action. No means I want someone else first.

CommanderZaktan

Smash Ace
I just had a thought. Even though I believe that the final fighter would be from Microsoft due to a leaker said that the Nintendo and Microsoft collaboration is happening this fall and not for the Rare games on N64 online and I jumped the gun that Master Chief will be the final fighter. But what if it's not him? What if it's someone else who is also from Microsoft? So I made a list of who could it be from Microsoft.
Master Chief
Doomslayer
A second Rare rep

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion

Zegram Ghart
Battletoads
Magus
Bill Rizer
Fulgore
Gengar
Sub-Zero
Goomba
Velvet Crowe
Lu Bu
Xemnas
Etna
Illidan Stormrage
Sarah Kerrigan
Raziel
Pharaoh Man
Impa (HW1)
Medusa
Jena Anderson
Nightmare
Bugzzy
H’aanit
Princess Garnet
My interests would be Battletoads, Gengar, Sub-Zero, Goomba, and Princess Garnet (assuming you're talking about Garnet Til Alexandros XVII).

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
I just had a thought. Even though I believe that the final fighter would be from Microsoft due to a leaker said that the Nintendo and Microsoft collaboration is happening this fall and not for the Rare games on N64 online and I jumped the gun that Master Chief will be the final fighter. But what if it's not him? What if it's someone else who is also from Microsoft? So I made a list of who could it be from Microsoft.
Master Chief
Doomslayer
A second Rare rep
Fulgore time baby
Honestly tho go NES and give us Battletoads? 👀

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Master Chief
Doomslayer
A second Rare rep
Aren't you ALWAYS predicting Doomguy and MC though?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
But at the same time, its sole purpose for existing is to be merchandise for the movie. So...
That's not even the biggest issue.

While the movie was preceded by the video game, the video game was preceded by the novelization, meaning that Lightning McQueen is actually in the same position as Jerry von Riverdale. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom