• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Netflix likes getting big names whereas Nintendo of America are notoriously cheap with actors
Yep. Kind of a shame; it narrows down their window of options for actors and actresses and whatnot
And then you get into ugly messes such just cut off a VA vs underpaying them but I digress.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I mean, it's not impossible for a union actor to go un-credited, like Pit's voice actor who even had new lines in Ultimate. I think ENG Cloud got the short end because he had to be credited or something along the lines. And in some cases supposedly, some unions can't work with other unions.
You realize that saying "We won't credit you and we will underpay you" isn't exactly appealing though, right?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well, here's my grand list of who I think it could be, divided into categories

Character predictions

1. Nintendo Owned

Gen 8 Pokémon (see section 7 for picks)
BotW Zelda
BotW Champion(s)?
Dixie Kong
Bandanna Dee
Chibi-Robo
Paper Mario
Euden (Dragalia Lost)
Metal Mario [gotta have a wildcard]

2. Sega Owned

New Sonic character
-Eggman
-Tails
-Blaze
-Metal Sonic
Arle from Puyo puyo
SMT 5 Protagonist

3. Capcom Owned

Phoenix Wright
Chun-li
Ametasteru

4. New 3rd Party (Japan)

Ryu Hiabusa (Koei Temco)
Granblue character (Cygames)
Reimu (Whoever owns Touhou)

5. New 3rd Party (misc.)

Rayman (Rayman, Ubisoft)
Crash Bandicoot (Crash Bandicoot, Lawsuit Magnet)
LoL character (League of Legends, Riot)
The Default guy from the game that all the kiddi-winks love. (Dabbing Simulator, Epic Lawsuit)

6. Stange grey area

Sora (Kingdom Hearts, Square Enix/Disney, What does the rodent have to say?)
Doomguy (DOOM, ID/Bethesda/Microsoft, Was negotiation had before the buyout?)

7. Pokémon Corner

Rillaboom
Cinderace
Intelleon
Haternne
Falinks
Dracovish
Zacian
Zamamzenta

SNEKeater

Smash Master
In other news, it's the anniversary of the OG CastleVania. I'm curious how people would react to another CV character as the idea seems to be rather popular judging by how often Alucard and Soma popped up over the last few months
I think Soma or especially Alucard would be quite well received if they were added in base game or something like that. But if we got a Castlevania character for the last character... well, I honestly don't expect a great reception.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I think Soma or especially Alucard would be quite well received if they were added in base game or something like that. But if we got a Castlevania character for the last character... well, I honestly don't expect a great reception.
Eh, that negativity apples to literally any character, you're straight up kidding yourself if you think even **** like Chief would avoid it tbh

Ivander

Smash Legend
You realize that saying "We won't credit you and we will underpay you" isn't exactly appealing though, right?
To be honest, I don't really know much about VA pay and unions other than why the frick' weren't they being paid decently in the first place? But then again, it shouldn't be that surprising to me when that has been applying to a lot of, even common, jobs and including developers.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Eh, that negativity apples to literally any character, you're straight up kidding yourself if you think even **** like Chief would avoid it tbh
Being the last fighter in any Smash comes with the baggage of people blaming you for not being who they wanted.

It truly doesn't matter who it is, there's gonna be some group out there upset.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
To be honest, I don't really know much about VA pay and unions other than why the frick' weren't they being paid decently in the first place?
Because there still aren't enough measures in place to make sure being a decent human being > running a successful company.

Last edited:

rychu_supadude

Smash Journeyman
Also I'm still thinking we're getting a promotional first party (I refuse to use the term "shill pick" unironically). I don't think the final Sakurai Presents changes anything, especially since Byleth was revealed the same way.
I agree that it doesn't change who it is either way, but the point of difference is that Byleth was revealed in a Presents because there was no imminent Direct to place the reveal in. FP11 is being revealed after a Direct that they could have been in, seemingly only so that Nintendo can stretch out the headlines and draw more attention towards the broadcast.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Not sure how any specific character would be received by the general fanbase but I can tell you that Sonic fans would be insuffarable lmao.
Honestly this is the curse of any other non-Sonic additional third-party character getting in

Alucard is one of my most wanted characters but the monkey's paw that'd come with his inclusion is that a second Sonic rep would be pushed even more as Having To Happen, and I for one am not ready for that

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Thinking about it, it’d be hilarious if after all that talk about GamePass on Switch/Master Chief in Smash because of the Switches in the background of various Microsoft presentations just turned out to be for Banjo on NSO.
So you're saying Banjo was a shill pick this entire time? Damn, almost as bad as Cloud being added to shill the FF7 port on Switch

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
As cool as MC in Smash would be I think I'd probably be even happier if the Nintendo/Microsoft relationship meant we could get Diddy Kong Racing on NSO.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Because there still aren't enough measures in place to make sure being a decent human being > running a successful company.
Really feels like that after last year and this year.

I think my main issue of understanding the issue is looking at the things that look more like restrictions, but may actually be showing the big issues with non-union payment. Like.....unions help the voice actors get more money for doing their jobs, but if you're getting picked up consistently and getting 4-6 roles as non-union over 1 role as union, shouldn't you be getting just as much, if not more, from being in roles consistently than from getting a role every while? That's an issue I tend to get when looking at the situation, in that the latter can look limiting to the former. But that issue may also come from looking at the VAs who were getting roles alot back then.
And that's not bringing up the supposed issue of some union VAs not working with VAs from other unions, which if true, also sounds rather limiting.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
If you wanted to do that, I can also bring up the characters in the base game

Ridley
The character a lot of people said HE'S TOO BIG for Smash Bros. Here he is now as a character that is dangerous with his skewer Down B and one of Samus's most dangerous foe.
Truthfully, I don't see that many Ridley players due to his playstyle and move kit.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

Ridley
The character a lot of people said HE'S TOO BIG for Smash Bros. Here is now as a character that is dangerous with his skewer Down B and one of Samus's most dangerous foe.
Truthfully, I don't see that many Ridley players due to his playstyle and move kit.
Wasn't Daisy announced before Ridley?

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion

Ridley
The character a lot of people said HE'S TOO BIG for Smash Bros. Here he is now as a character that is dangerous with his skewer Down B and one of Samus's most dangerous foe.
As a Ridley player, I pray he eventually gets a better Dair and Higher Weight. Those two seemingly minor things are honestly the biggest reasons playing him is a chore at times.

Still can’t stop playing him though.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
As a Ridley player, I pray he eventually gets a better Dair and Higher Weight. Those two seemingly minor things are honestly the biggest reasons playing him is a chore at times.

WHAT IF

we got a character who'd signature move is stabbing his tail downwards in the air

BUT

We give him a crap divekick with the same landing lag as his downward up b while being a worse spike?

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

There's no reason his up special shouldn't let him launch in whatever direction he wants instead of a set of weird angles and DAir should have been the pogo tail too.

CommanderZaktan

Smash Ace
Well, here's my grand list of who I think it could be, divided into categories

Character predictions

1. Nintendo Owned

Gen 8 Pokémon (see section 7 for picks)
BotW Zelda
BotW Champion(s)?
Dixie Kong
Bandanna Dee
Chibi-Robo
Paper Mario
Euden (Dragalia Lost)
Metal Mario [gotta have a wildcard]

2. Sega Owned

New Sonic character
-Eggman
-Tails
-Blaze
-Metal Sonic
Arle from Puyo puyo
SMT 5 Protagonist

3. Capcom Owned

Phoenix Wright
Chun-li
Ametasteru

4. New 3rd Party (Japan)

Ryu Hayabusa (Koei Temco)
Granblue character (Cygames)
Reimu (Whoever owns Touhou)

5. New 3rd Party (misc.)

Rayman (Rayman, Ubisoft)
Crash Bandicoot (Crash Bandicoot, Lawsuit Magnet)
LoL character (League of Legends, Riot)
The Default guy from the game that all the kiddi-winks love. (Dabbing Simulator, Epic Lawsuit)

6. Stange grey area

Sora (Kingdom Hearts, Square Enix/Disney, What does the rodent have to say?)
Doomguy (DOOM, ID/Bethesda/Microsoft, Was negotiation had before the buyout?)

7. Pokémon Corner

Rillaboom
Cinderace
Intelleon
Haternne
Falinks
Dracovish
Zacian
Zamamzenta
The buyout negoations started in September 2020 and they merge in March 2021. The second fighter pass was finalized between late 2019 and early 2020. So the Doomslayer might have a chance.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I’m not doing all characters, but I feel qualified to at least talk a bit about Daisy!

Daisy was revealed as the first Echo fighter newcomer, after having served as the inspiration for one of Peach’s palette swaps since her debut. Peach’s alternate costume was one of the most blatant stand-ins for another character even though the costume degraded in details since Melee. Despite her popularity and consistent appearances in the Mario series, she remained an underdog in speculation as Captain Toad and Paper Mario had very succesful WiiU eras, and Waluigi remained popular. Her perceived Peach clone status eventually helped her get the nod over these though and put an end to the speculation era of one of the most toxic fanbases.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
As cool as MC in Smash would be I think I'd probably be even happier if the Nintendo/Microsoft relationship meant we could get Diddy Kong Racing on NSO.
Tsk, tsk. I hear there's places out there where you can obtain Diddy Kong Racing... with much less effort than getting Master Chief in Smash, too...
But you didn't hear that from me.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Being the last fighter in any Smash comes with the baggage of people blaming you for not being who they wanted.

It truly doesn't matter who it is, there's gonna be some group out there upset.
It's not just that people are upset their character lost their chance. It's that they deliberately choose characters that aren't as big of a deal for later. Like, which is a bigger deal, the granddaddy of JRPGs getting in, or yet another Fire Emblem character? The best selling game of all time, or something that hasn't exceeded 2 million units?

Dinoman96

Smash Master
People still complain about "Playstation characters" like Cloud, Sephiroth and Joker being in Smash, imagine how they'd feel when they add a full blown Xbox exclusive character

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I wouldn't mind Alucard or Soma Cruz, but I'd much rather see Sonic or Mega Man get their second time to bat before Castlevania.

I also think Castlevania is very well-represented in terms of secondary content, so there's not really the "we're fixing this series" value that Sephiroth had either. You could maybe argue that a disproportional amount of that content comes from the older entries in the series, but that's true for basically every third-party series in Smash not named Bayonetta, Persona, or Dragon Quest. Even Minecraft is primarily based on game elements that were introduced early in the main entry's lifetime.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
WHAT IF

we got a character who'd signature move is stabbing his tail downwards in the air

BUT

We give him a crap divekick with the same landing lag as his downward up b while being a worse spike?
It's not even a true dive kick since it only goes straight down. lol

Actually if I'm going by that metric dive kicks are super rare and none of them really act like normal ones since they're still at a very steep angle. I guess the reason for that is to help mitigate accidental death by Down Aerial.

There's no reason his up special shouldn't let him launch in whatever direction he wants instead of a set of weird angles and DAir should have been the pogo tail too.
My guess is that it's supposed to serve two purposes:
  • To make his recovery distinct from everyone else's despite being the same general idea as Fire Fox, Fire Bird, and Fire Wolf.
  • "It's a heavy so it's recovery has to be bad."
Never mind the fact that Ridley isn't heavy enough that his weight would even theoretically justify a bad recovery to balance out how long he would otherwise survive, I think the fact that it hits like a truck and can even spike is plenty distinct. Though to be fair I suppose its power does make it super scary to edgeguard even with how slow it is.

EDIT: Still not sure that justifies him being forced to recover high, low, or backward.

Last edited:

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
As someone who was in the boat of getting annoyed with characters with loose to no ties to Nintendo ala Snake, Cloud, and Joker, I actually would love to see Chief even though I much prefer PlayStation to XBOX because at this point, if you’re going to drop the Nintendo All-Star angle and this becomes Video Games the Crossover, I think Master Chief would perfectly scratch the final itch of gaming as a whole and the roster would feel very rounded.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
As someone who was in the boat of getting annoyed with characters with loose to no toes to Nintendo ala Snake, Cloud, and Joker, I actually would love to see Chief even though I much prefer PlayStation to XBOX because at this point, if you’re going to drop the Nintendo All-Star angle and this becomes Video Games the Crossover, I think Master Chief would perfectly scratch the final itch of gaming as a whole and the roster would feel very rounded.
Yeah I never considered chief before the fake Bethesda leak but now I really want him lol

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I might be a bit late to the Kirby talk, but I'm of the mind that it's too early to tell whether or not KatFD is pushing mainstays to the sides. All we know so far is that it's Kirby, it's 3D, he's in a strange new world for some reason, he fights "Beast Corps" (According to the JP site), and he's freeing Waddle Dees. At the very least we can guess that BWD's involved due to being a common recurring character nowadays and being made for the sake of having a representative of the Waddle Dees, but that's up in the air at the moment.

Bottom text.
Top text.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom