• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKX31

Smash Master
Honestly the community should know better. I mean have they seen Super Smash Bros. Melee? :4pacman:
Yes, it has a learning cliff and can be difficult for more casual players to even get used to. But damnit I love Maylay because it is an semi-accidental masterpiece of art that allows freedom of expression. It's a main reason why Melee's stuck around after all. (Same thing with MvC2 and StarCraft I - both games have many of the same semi-accidental aspects.)

I just remember that Sora was DLC for a Final Fantasy game, then became unavailable. That's why I thought if Sora was a mii costume, then it'd also went up unavailable later.

Oh really? Nevermind then.
World of Final Fantasy, yes.

... Aren't all Mii Costumes sold separately?
Yup, they are sold seperately (with the only exceptions being the bonus costumes Rex and Ancient Armor). I've still not gotten around to buying the Shantae Mii (although I should someday, partly for the Burning Town remix) and I've bought both FP1 and FP2.

Leak was credible until I saw Banjo. They won't put him as DLC.
IKR, we already know who's the real star of the show:

Kazoo.png

:4pacman: (Yes this was part of SSBWiki's April Fools this year.)

Siggy88

Smash Apprentice
I wonder. If Sora were to get in WITH all the Disney references (stage cameos, spirits, ect), would it break Twitter like Steve did?

Caboose70

Smash Rookie
Easily, characters from franchises we dismissed because most people thought they were out for X or Y reason.
Sephiroth because he is from FF7 and we assumed they wouldn't give it more representation.
Pyra and Mythra because Rex became a costume and we assumed they wouldn't give us a Xenoblade 2 character that is not Rex.
Kazuya because we got a Tekken costume and assumed we wouldn't get a Tekken character.
Someone like a Resident Evil character that is not Jill, Leon, Chris could become playable yet unexpected for example.

Welcome to the board!
Thank you! Longtime watcher, first time poster!!

Technomage

Smash Champion
A first party?

I’m still banking on Octoling. Or if you want a real surprise, Off the Hook (like how the Heihachi Mii heralded Kazuya and the Rex Mii heralded Pyra/Mythra, what if the Squid Sisters Miis hinted at Pearl & Marina?)

ok That’s a crackpot theory but still

also - we get a fourth S-E rep but it’s not Sora. It’s Neku.
I don't know if another 1st-party would be that unexpected, since there are people who think FP2 would end with a disappointing 1st-party like Byleth.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I don't know if another 1st-party would be that unexpected, since there are people who think FP2 would end with a disappointing 1st-party like Byleth.
True

but Off the Hook in particular when everyone would sooner expect Octoling would be the mother of all surprises at least for Splatoon

Technomage

Smash Champion
There's also NES or SNES icons like Bill Razer. No one would had expected him.
That also reminds me of another character that'd be unexpected: Ryu Hayabusa, since he had been practically deconfirmed by multiple separate interviews. Ryu could be a fun surprise, since I know someone who'd tell all of us "I told you so!" XD

Jondolio

Smash Hero
I don't see a character from a game that's not even coming out until next year getting in, especially if their game is already represented by a character.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I don't see a character from a game that's not even coming out until next year getting in, especially if their game is already represented by a character.
This.

There's also the Bayo shown in Bayo 3, if she plays differently from regular Bayo and is actually the grown-up version of the Cereza that travelled to the future (like some have theorized).
Say what you will about low key characters, the final fighter being Bayonetta, but again would probably be the most disappointing reveal ever.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Since 4chan keeps coming back f it. SH is 80 percent sure the last chr is 3rd party. Is they gon be right for once that's pretty heavy percent so yeah I also lean 3rd party. We all need a torch in the dark.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Since 4chan keeps coming back f it. SH is 80 percent sure the last chr is 3rd party. Is they gon be right for once that's pretty heavy percent so yeah I also lean 3rd party. We all need a torch in the dark.
Well I’ll defy the status quo and bank on the 20% chance it’s a first party 😤

Ivander

Smash Legend
Phantasy Star rep

League of Legends

Namco getting double dibs and we get Yuri Lowell.

Who knows at this point.
I’d like to add a few:
  • Square double dipping but with Neku instead of Sora
  • Arle
  • Octoling or Off the Hook
  • Frisk
  • Anyone else unexpected I guess
Namco getting double dibs and we get Chosen Undead.
Fixed. Also, some other notables:
  • Saber
  • Falcom rep like Adol or Estelle
  • Granblue Fantasy rep
  • Lara Croft
  • Reimu
Anything is possible in the endgame.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
With how many people are ragging on smash are Nick fans, i have a feelin that game isnt gonna hold up for long if its community runs on "eat ****, smash"
...iz got dat rollback tho...

Oh yeah like that's enough compared to a roster of 80+ characters.
But to the FGC, it MIGHT be. As all the characters in the world don't matter if you can't play the damn thing against other people.

This is a Smash clone with even less characters then Melee had and not to mention graphics especially given this day of age.
I mean...are we actually going to pretend Smash is some kind of graphical powerhouse? I love Smash, but compared to something like Tekken for realism or Guilty Gear for artistry, Smash looks like dog****.

Personally, I was way more of a Cartoon Network fan back in my day
Man, a new CN Smash clone would be so good now. The last one was pre-Adventure Time. They've had so many amazing IP since then.

So seeing how many people are ending this insane rollercoaster in such better places than when they started genuinely makes me proud of you guys. Cause that s**t ain't easy.
Well, if you were already a big fat basement dwelling nerd like me, the pandemic didn't exactly upend your life.

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I still think a Smash rep would be cool. Tabuu or something could be awesome if done right. Primid mii costumes would be a no-brainer too.
Honestly, I think the perfect smash rep would be Metal Mario as an echo with a metal cavern stage. Metal Mario is so iconic at this point that he's even become a mainstay in Mario Kart, and it wouldn't take that much efort to make. Probably even less than other echoes. It would perfectly represent smash, while also not taking a full character slot that could go to introducing a cool new crossover, and it would bring a long time fan request stage that would likely be tournament legal as well.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
1632595153784.jpg

Apparently there was a post that sounded extremely similar to the previous leak. Granted, there's no way to know if it's the same poster, and didn't commit as many faults as the first post, but the story sounds the same:
I work for "Disney Music"
Nintendo paid a lot of money for Kingdom Hearts music
"Streaming event"
Sora
Only thing that changed is the date, which went from October 5 to September. Which is wrong of course.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Now, when it comes to Octoling's odds, I'm conflicted. People mention that a clone won't fly as DLC, which I agree with. Others bring up the fact that Octoling would not have to be a clone or even a semiclone, something that I also agree with. But at the same time, the optics would still be there no matter how different their gameplay really was, which I can't help but feel may thus remain a blow to their chances.

Off the Hook could likely carry less of that stigma, but I'm not sure how I feel about their odds in general.

Last edited:

kylexv

Smash Master
Perhaps we could do a thing where we take a look back at each of the DLC characters one per day and share our thoughts on them leading up to the final reveal?
Another day, another DLC character to look back on.

Day 2: Joker :ultjoker:

On the eve of Smash Ultimate’s launch day, merely 30 minutes before the official North American release, the first Fighters Pass character of many to come was revealed: Joker from Persona 5. I remember my reaction quite well. As the trailer went on, I thought to myself “This is a Smash reveal, isn’t it?”. Lo and behold, that is what happened. I sat there in stunned silence knowing full well that Alpharad once again got the character he wanted. And, as it turned out, just like Bayonetta in Smash 4, it was an omen for things to come...

The wait for his release felt like a long one, as all we got between his reveal and April was his character model in a February Nintendo Direct, with a hint of further additions coming with him in the Spring. When April finally rolled around, Joker's showcase trailer was dropped unexpectedly, showing off his moveset, the new Stage Builder mode, and dropping the release date: one day after the showcase was dropped. Joker was the only Fighter's Pass character to not receive a Sakurai Presents, which is also interesting to note. On the day he was released, however, I remember that Nintendo's servers were riddled with troubles and it took me nearly two hours of trying to download the update to finally get my hands on him.

Once he was finally in players' hands, though, he slowly proved to be one of, if not the best characters in the game. Although MKLeo has moved on to other characters as of recent, he pushed Joker to his absolute limit, showing the power of Arsene. Arsene also became a divisive mechanic in itself, with many arguing that it made Joker too powerful. As for me, I, too, have grown to detest whenever the scary top hat man comes out to play, as I know I will soon be on the receiving end of powerful normals and projectiles or the best counter in the game.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
View attachment 331599
Apparently there was a post that sounded extremely similar to the previous leak. Granted, there's no way to know if it's the same poster, and didn't commit as many faults as the first post, but the story sounds the same:
"Streaming event"
Sora
Only thing that changed is the date, which went from October 5 to September. Which is wrong of course.
So basically the anonymous poster who posted these two posts had cold feet about the date and made a new post to claim that it's in September, probably also hoping that nobody notice the October one.
You know what guys, now this is a blunder of a fake leak.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
View attachment 331599
"Streaming event"
Sora
Okay, yeah, I think this seals the deal.
Anon hit a 1-in-365 jackpot and blew it, it seems.
:187:

Last edited:

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
So basically the anonymous poster who posted these two posts had cold feet about the date and made a new post to claim that it's in September, probably also hoping that nobody notice the October one.
You know what guys, now this is a blunder of a fake leak.
He probably changed the date because the September direct was announced, when he probably initialy thought we would have only the reveal in October... Which was correct.
If he simply didn't post anything, it wouldn't really have any point against it except that it might be dumb luck (which can only be 100% proven when the reveal happens). But now that it's some person who simply retells the story, it's hard to believe it.

tl;dr Anon had the perfect leak but literally changed his story a day before the direct and messed up his leak

Last edited:

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
Casting my prediction: a Kirby or Zelda character, leaning towards Kirby. They're two of the biggest first-party series that haven't gotten a new character in 13 years.

Granted, not as big of a wow factor. There's still always a chance that it'll be some big third party, but if it's not, then that's probably where we'll go. I'm probably wrong, but that's the only thing I can think of.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Now, when it comes to Octoling's odds, I'm conflicted. People mention that a clone won't fly as DLC, which I agree with. Others bring up the fact that Octoling would not have to be a clone or even a semiclone, something that I also agree with. But at the same time, the optics would still be there no matter how different their gameplay really was, which I can't help but feel may thus remain a blow to their chances.

Off the Hook could likely carry less of that stigma, but I'm not sure how I feel about their odds in general.
The odds of Off the Hook basically depend on whether Sakurai would have any qualms about makimg Octoling work. Nintendo in this scenario probably would’ve asked for a Splatoon character in general, which would then honestly go between Octoling and Off the Hook.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Someone I've been saying nobody would expect, but would actually be a pretty solid choice for both a retro character from the NES era, an all new company to add to Ultimate's laundry list of licensees (though one with close connections to Nintendo) and even considered surprisingly relevant to the Switch today, would be Jason and SOPHIA from the Blaster Master series.

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
An Apartment With Stolen Forgery Art In Paris
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
A first party?

I’m still banking on Octoling. Or if you want a real surprise, Off the Hook (like how the Heihachi Mii heralded Kazuya and the Rex Mii heralded Pyra/Mythra, what if the Squid Sisters Miis hinted at Pearl & Marina?)

ok That’s a crackpot theory but still

also - we get a fourth S-E rep but it’s not Sora. It’s Neku.
THE WORLD IS MADE UP OF NUMBERS…

LAA9000

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
JUST#956
3DS FC
0361-9069-2936
Switch FC
SW-5393-4946-0209
Actual speculation here: If CP11 were to be a shill for an upcoming game like Metroid Dread or SMTV, I highly believe Nintendo would've waited until after the game's release to reveal them. Remember that Fire Emblem Fates was out in Japan by the time Corrin was revealed for Smash.

More casual discussion: I've seen people genuinely convinced the last DLC fighter might be Melee Fox lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom