• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
Selling well isn't everything. The thing about choosing 3rd party characters is that it can improve relationships with 3rd party companies, like the way Joker does for Atlus or Hero does for Square-Enix(as well as the various IP owners of the DQ series). Both we clearly can see had a ton of games at the same time. There's definitely a lot more to business than sales alone.

There's no question he'd sell well. He's an iconic Nintendo character. But is that the whole thing they want? Maybe.

I want Waluigi as much as the next guy, but there's always a lot to think about for DLC.
I didn't mention selling well. All I said was that he would attract a lot of popularity to the game due to the amount of casual players who want him and would probably explode on twitter and youtube even if it was for a short amount of time.

He's a character that IMO makes a lot of sense to add and unless Nintendo is just thinking on a completely different level it seems obvious to add him.

While I agree Nintendo has given hope to the idea another AT upgrade is possible I don't look at their decision to not remove the video as nod to his inclusion but rather a blind eye because fans are pushing for him and it'd be bad business to not hype everything Wario related right now.
You didn't understand me properly. I was never talking about them not removing the video, I was just talking about the fact that a fake smash trailer racked up so many views in such a short period of time. If a fake trailer for him in Smash can do so much then imagine a real one.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I didn't mention selling well. All I said was that he would attract a lot of popularity to the game due to the amount of casual players who want him and would probably explode on twitter and youtube even if it was for a short amount of time.

He's a character that IMO makes a lot of sense to add and unless Nintendo is just thinking on a completely different level it seems obvious to add him.
It's the same difference. Popularity just means to them that it'll sell well.

Popularity isn't the only thing they are thinking about.

Company relationships is also part of what goes into DLC matters. We've only had one ballot pick for DLC. Will another one happen? Possibly. But they have a lot to think on on who they choose and why.

You are thinking on a different level from them. They're still a business first and foremost. Popularity is one of many factors for them to take into account.

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
It's the same difference. Popularity just means to them that it'll sell well.

Popularity isn't the only thing they are thinking about.

Company relationships is also part of what goes into DLC matters. We've only had one ballot pick for DLC. Will another one happen? Possibly. But they have a lot to think on on who they choose and why.

You are thinking on a different level from them. They're still a business first and foremost. Popularity is one of many factors for them to take into account.
I mean if there is a character they can add, that would clearly get so many people talking about the game, and has no licensing hurdles to jump through, and is from their top franchise. Logically it just makes sense for them to add Waluigi to the game, I don't see any reason not to. Especially with 6 slots.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Here are the faces to the names Sucumbio:
  • Barbara the Bat from Jam with the Band
  • which who? Don't even remember her)
1631670474584.png
Her Assist Trophy function was like Konga Beat, but without user input.
  • Helirin from Kururin
  • Who this now?
1631670527732.png
We only got a birds eye view of this thing in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, and it served as a rotating obstruction.
  • Jill from Drill Dozer
  • Another I don't recall Jesus help me
1631670611470.png
She basically did the same thing as Dillon does now, though there are a few nuances that make the two different.
  • Ray Mk III from Custom Robo
  • Vaguely remember this dunno why it's gone
1631670672161.png
He jumped around and fired projectiles.
  • Saki Amamiya from Sin and Punishment
  • Don't remember...
1631670686062.png
Did a mix of shooting and slashing you.

Shroob

Sup?
I mean if there is a character they can add, that would clearly get so many people talking about the game, and has no licensing hurdles to jump through, and is from their top franchise. Logically it just makes sense for them to add Waluigi to the game, I don't see any reason not to. Especially with 6 slots.
As they said earlier, improving business relationships between companies is definitely one thing.

Like, out of all the DLC, the only 2 characters I'd say that had extremely vocal support bases were Banjo and Steve, with Pythra taking up 3rd place, albeit Rex instead of them.

The DLC hasn't really appealed to the 'fan desires' much, it's been a lot more out there.

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
As they said earlier, improving business relationships between companies is definitely one thing.
It is, but they've done plenty of that. The majority of the DLC fighters have actually been 3rd party.

Like, out of all the DLC, the only 2 characters I'd say that had extremely vocal support bases were Banjo and Steve, with Pythra taking up 3rd place, albeit Rex instead of them.

The DLC hasn't really appealed to the 'fan desires' much, it's been a lot more out there.

There is at least one character that appeals to the fandom in every DLC wave. We had Banjo in FP1 and we had Lucas and Roy in Smash 4, they even did a ballot for that game. So "appealing to fan desires" is not a foreign concept like you think it is, it's something Nintendo has a clear history of doing. They aren't gonna ignore it now just because Waluigi is an assist trophy.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
It is, but they've done plenty of that. The majority of the DLC fighters have actually been 3rd party.

There is at least one character that appeals to the fandom in every DLC wave. We had Banjo in FP1 and we had Lucas and Roy in Smash 4, they even did a ballot for that game. So "appealing to fan desires" is not a foreign concept like you think it is, it's something Nintendo has a clear history of doing. They aren't gonna ignore it now just because Waluigi is an assist trophy.
They may have done a lot, but I don't think we're ones to judge is it's all, because the thing is, even if we think it's enough, they can always do more.

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
They may have done a lot, but I don't think we're ones to judge is it's all, because the thing is, even if we think it's enough, they can always do more.
I'm just making a prediction, like everyone else is. There is definitely reason to believe that Waluigi could be coming to this game.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
What are you guys's opinions on the Assist Trophies they removed:
  • Dark Samus from Metroid
  • Elec Man from Mega Man
  • Excitebikes from Excite
  • Helirin from Kururin
  • Infantry and Tanks from Nintendo Wars
  • Isabelle from Animal Crossing
  • Jill from Drill Dozer
  • Kat and Anna from WarioWare
  • Lakitu and Spinies from Super Mario
  • Little Mac from PUNCH-OUT!!
  • Magnus from Kid Icarus
  • Mr. Resetti from Animal Crossing
  • Tingle from The Legend of Zelda
Yes I know some of these are characters now. What did you think of them as Assist Trophies?
Looking back, I'm not sure why Elec Man was an Assist Trophy back in Sm4sh. I think Dr. Wily would've made more sense.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Permission to make a joke about Waluigi being deconfirmed?

If a fanmade trailer for Waluigi in Smash can rack up 1.1 million views in only a couple of days. It would make me SERIOUSLY question the business decisions at Nintendo if they just decided not to add him to the game.
Yeah, cause it's a great idea to base business decisions on something people don't pay for...

If anything, that just proves people are excited to NOT have to spend money on Waluigi.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
  • Elec Man from Mega Man
  • Helirin from Kururin
  • Jill from Drill Dozer
  • Magnus from Kid Icarus
Yes I know some of these are characters now. What did you think of them as Assist Trophies?
Here are my opinions:
  • Barbara was kind of whatever. If she spawned next to you, then she was a threat. Otherwise, she didn't really do anything.
  • Dark Samus was one of the more annoying Assist Trophies to deal with. I wonder how strong she would have been with Super Smash Bros. Ultimate's edition of the ability to smack these types of Assist Trophies around. My guess is she'd have a bunch of super armour so attacking her would be pretty difficult.
  • I kind of wish Elec Man followed his original AI more closely 'cuz I'm kind of a sucker for that kind of thing, but he was cool regardless.
  • The Excitebikes were pretty funny, though I'm not overly sad that they're gone because it means they can be playable now.
  • Helirin was very strange, but it's a pretty unique hazard, so it's a bit of a shame they got rid of it. I do imagine it was a bit of a nightmare to program in terms of making sure it didn't smoosh players into terrain though.
  • The Infantry and Tanks were super funny, and I wish they had come back. Perhaps with the Advance Wars port, they'll come back in the next installment.
  • Isabelle didn't really do much, but she was pretty charming.
  • Jill was kind of strange, and she overlaps with Dillon, but I dunno. I think there's room in the roulette for both of them.
  • The only reason for Kat and Anna's removal that I can think of was to reduce the amount of characters in the roulette. As an Assist Trophy though, they were pretty annoying to deal with.
  • Lakitu and Spinies...It's funny how the nightmare enemies from Super Mario Bros. became mild annoyances at best in Super Smash Bros. lol
  • Little Mac is probably as effective now as he was as an Assist Trophy to be honest...
  • I have no strong feelings toward Magnus, but he is another strange omission.
  • I remember Mr. Resetti being very confusing to my child brain. He was probably cut for this reason, and because he no longer rants to the player.
  • Ray Mk III...I feel like Custom Robo should have more attention, but Ray Mk III is a pretty meh Assist Trophy, often missing opponents completely, and the new mechanic where you could attack Assist Trophies like this probably would have made him useless.
  • It's a shame Saki is gone. Now nobody will be able to mistakenly call him a girl. :4pacman: No but seriously, I do hope he makes it back in a later title.
  • I suppose he kind of does the same thing as Rikki, but like, it's Tingle. Why would you get rid of Tingle?

Last edited:

ryuryunonoroi

Smash Apprentice
Apparently 51.6% of Japan’s population is fully vaccinated

I hope Sakurai is among those fully vaccinated…
I imagine he would be, he's definitely the type of person not to be amongst those idiotic anti-vaxxers who are the reason we're still in this mess.
I have full confidence in Sakurai's ability to distinguish facts from falsehoods.

From what I've learned in my internet security class, Bluetooth works by searching for a Bluetooth signal, any Bluetooth signal, at all times (it may not search while it's currently linked to something, but don't quote me on that), so as long as you can produce a Bluetooth signal, you're in.

Unless something's changed about it, there's literally no security in Bluetooth.

EDIT: Since the feature is only supposed to be for audio, Nintendo could have made it so that Bluetooth can only do stuff with the intended audio functions, but I dunno if there's any way of knowing that, at least not right off the bat.
Speaking of unsolicited connections, I hope those among you have made sure to disable the targeted google analytics in your eshop profile once that happened around the end of last year.

For me it helps to actually, for once in my life, try to get into Linux.

I've been wanting to do it for the past 15 years, but thanks to Windows 11 looking horrible and Proton helping vastly with PC game compatibility, I'm finally getting serious about it. Only issue I'm really having is that I have to keep a Windows install to play GTAV mods.
Have fun wrangling with all the manual thumpers the instant you need to do anything beyond basic tasks like web browsing/email or trying to get certain peripherals to work.

Also have fun memorizing hundreds of cryptic keyboard polka dances to do what should otherwise be simple mundane tasks.

030923.png

FOSS_Developers.png

Welcome to the cult!
Welcome to the club!

This is hell and we can't leave.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
  • Elec Man from Mega Man
  • Helirin from Kururin
  • Jill from Drill Dozer
  • Magnus from Kid Icarus
They were majority of my favorites TBH- Excitebike, Jill, Ray MK, Saki....

SKX31

Smash Master
  • Elec Man from Mega Man
  • Helirin from Kururin
  • Jill from Drill Dozer
  • Magnus from Kid Icarus
I find some of the removals really weird (AW, Saki, Ray, Kat / Ana, Barbara, Jill, Magnus) so I'd like to one day be a fly on the wall and get to know Sakurai's reasoning. They were honestly fine as ATs.

Of those, I'm particularily wondering why Saki was cut. Especially since apparently he could be defeated in 4. Why.

Resetti was an interesting AT. But he'd be way more interesting if he took an active effort to hit people who were fighting instead of listening to his rambles Pulitzer-winning speeches.

Some ATs were just... strange in terms of execution (Helirin, Tingle). FTR, I'm not keen on the fact that Sakurai and co. replaced Tingle with Skull Kid and made Skull Kid basically "screw up the screen for everyone!" the minigame. Tingle at least could result in some interesting and chaotic moments like hammers everywhere IIRC. Still, I'd like to see either of Helirin / Tingle return but now with some stronger effects.

I can get Elec Man being effectively replaced by Wily Capsule 7, but still that a Robot Master or hell even Maverick could've been a fine AT. Eh, not a big deal in the long run when Wily and Zero are both in (yes, technically Zero is DWN-Infinity IIRC, but still).

I'm gonna detour into the upgrades here:

:ultdarksamus: was a perfectly fine upgrade, shame she didn't get much at all. The only slightly impactful stuff is her roll and the fact that her Charged Shot low-profiles - the other changes are really niché. Whereas I really think she should've gotten more (alas, time constraints and the nature of Echo Fighters). TIL she's the fastest at turning around after an initial dash (2 frames compared to everyone else's 3), and I have no idea what the **** that could be. Ergo Dark Samus OP pls nerf. :4pacman:

:ultlittlemac: 's been debated to hell and back ever since he became playable, but he should be playable. Sure, I'm one of those who have not been keen on how his playstyle's super-volatile, but I'm not going to lose much sleep over that. I do recomend Thinkaman's defense of him here and here. Those are very in depth, but also very intelligent takes on him.

Ditto :ultisabelle: - she should be playable, and I actually kinda like what they were going with her. Aka. a more trap-focused Villager with a few extra spices on top (it took some buffs and fixing, but her jab is nasty). And I do think she's a bit underrated as a result. The biggest issue holding her back IMHO is that she doesn't have alot that can deal with shields.

Come to think of it... given how many cut ATs were in the "small but numerous irritants" department (Excitebikes, Lakitu, AW) I wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai soured on that idea. He did remove Dedede's "Summon ALL my minions, I wanna clobbahg Kirbeh!" Final Smash after all (which is slightly better than his Masked Dedede FS and I'll gladly die on this hill).

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Looking back, I'm not sure why Elec Man was an Assist Trophy back in Sm4sh. I think Dr. Wily would've made more sense.
I always thought it was a bit weird that it wasn't Cut Man instead, but yeah, Dr. Wily is probably the best choice for the sole classic Assist Trophy.

It could be neat if they rotated out the Robot Masters each game though. So like, one game it's Cut Man, the next it's Napalm Man, and the next it's Knight Man, and so on.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

Yeah, cause it's a great idea to base business decisions on something people don't pay for...

If anything, that just proves people are excited to NOT have to spend money on Waluigi.
pulls out piece of paper

"Ha ha. Waluigi got deconfirmed again. Nintendo doesn't care for its fans. Where's our funny haha purple guy now?"

Am I doing it right?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
He did remove Dedede's "Summon ALL my minions, I wanna clobbahg Kirbeh!" Final Smash after all (which is slightly better than his Masked Dedede FS and I'll gladly die on this hill).
I think Waddle Dee Army is more interesting mechanically than Dede-Rush, but it's also fairly annoying to deal with and didn't feel as good to use (also it probably would have sucked on large stages like The Great Cave Offensive, but that didn't stop them from downgrading Super Sonic).

I think we can all agree that Dedede Burst sucked though.

It could be neat if they rotated out the Robot Masters each game though. So like, one game it's Cut Man, the next it's Napalm Man, and the next it's Knight Man, and so on.
Crackpot Smash Ideas: Gravity Man is now an Assist Trophy. He uses Gravity Hold and everyone dies including him unless there's a ceiling.

7NATOR

Smash Master

Assist Trophy tourney event!

I mean for some weird reason this makes me believe that Waluigi is more likely.
It's probably because this isn't one of those Specific character tourneys, and the fact they got the Assist Trophy Tournament out of the way actually points toward the idea of CP11 being a Assist Promotion

While I don't think a Character being an Assist is a factor that will impact a Character being chosen for DLC, They would want the character to be more focused on as a Playable character, rather than an Assist Trophy

Imagine if Waluigi was CP11, and this was the one of the first tourneys that had come out after his Reveal and/or Release. It would just be weird since at that point, the focus would be on Waluigi has Playable, instead of Assist. This is especially true if as an example, Waluigi Assist is disabled anytime Waluigi himself is in a Match. Since Waluigi would be the new hotness people would be playing, that's kind of gonna mess things up for the chances of the Waluigi Assist showing up

Doing it now before we have any Assist Trophy promotion is kind of like giving the Assist a last hurrah as an Assist, since from then on, people will be reminded of them as Playable, rather than Assist

I think it would mean something if instead, they did some sort of NPC only character tourney, for characters that have been NPC's or been in NPC roles in the Past (Little Mac, Isabelle, Dark Samus, Charizard, King Dedede, Toon Link, Palutena, Chrom, etc). That would entail no Assist Trophy promotion since OI Imagine if they knew a Assist Character was being promoted, they would want them to be featured. But since this is tourney where all the characters are available, it's not like that

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
You know who could make for a random, but cool Assist Trophy? Cyrus from Octopath Traveler. He would start by analyzing the opponents to see what they're weak to (which could be random or set per character, and will appear over each character's heads), and then start spamming his fire, ice, and electric magics. If you're weak to a specific magic type, then that spell will have the same effect as a Shield Break on you if he hits you with it.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Here are the faces to the names Sucumbio:

Her Assist Trophy function was like Konga Beat, but without user input.

We only got a birds eye view of this thing in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, and it served as a rotating obstruction.

She basically did the same thing as Dillon does now, though there are a few nuances that make the two different.

He jumped around and fired projectiles.

Did a mix of shooting and slashing you.
Thank you 🥰 I remember them vividly now... Wierd how I didn't notice their absense...

They should all be in still! Same with pokemon and the missing items too like firecracker Canon...

Laniv

Smash Lord
  • Elec Man from Mega Man
  • Helirin from Kururin
  • Jill from Drill Dozer
  • Magnus from Kid Icarus
I maintain that Lakitu would've been a really cool idea for a possible Bowser Jr. echo.

Sucks to lose Kat & Ana, but at least they got... "promoted" to Master Spirit. Because nothing says promoted like losing your physical body :4pacman:

Honestly, two of these I wouldn't mind as fighters are Excitebiker and Infantry & Tanks.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Do we have the event for tonight or no?
Assist Trophy focused tournament.

[Tournament event] "Call more and more! Assist figures" will be held for 3 days from 9/17 (Friday)! This is a tournament where many assist figures appear. The more you win, the more luxurious spirits you get. #Smash Bros SP

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I mean the anniversary for Undertale is tomorrow (Or today depending on Time zones), so having an event tonight would have been perfect, and tomorrow is the last possible day for a Direct announcement this week. 👀
Finally, Frisk is the last fighter for Smash Ultimate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom